The online racing simulator
#1 - Mako.
I finally understood just how serious LFS really is.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oX8i3E1ORl4

Wow, that looks almost like a broadcast of a real race!!! Was this done live? Holy shit! Now, I used to think... yeah, LFS is a sim and all, but after the dust clears, it IS only a videogame...

Well, looks like I didn't just miss the "seriousness" by a mile, but rather, in a different galaxy all together!

I see that people have REAL sponsors, that the guys treat this all very professionaly, and that its a LOT of hard work!

The thing that amazes me, is just how freaking blind I used to be!
Perhaps living in America has infused me with the "it's only a videogame" opinion way too much, because I havent taken LFS as something to do almost professionaly.

PS: I know that might not be the clearest post ever, but I barely passed english class and am still a bit overwhelmed by the "holy S**T!" factor!
#2 - MR_B
Well you can either just treat it as a game. face value, play it an hour or 2 a week and that's your lot.

Or you can really become involved, create teams, compete in leagues, 24hour races, create leagues. The list goes on.
Problem is though it just doesn't give off the same team spirit as preparing a race car together, and getting it to a track. Let alone winning.

I'm not sure if that made sense there, it's late, i'm tired.
#3 - kaynd
Quote from MR_B :
Problem is though it just doesn't give off the same team spirit as preparing a race car together, and getting it to a track. Let alone winning.

That depends on the team

Also yeah it is how involved you want to be in that scene... it is sure not "just" a game.
To learn more about sim racing in general have a look at http://www.simracingtonight.com/

[edit]

LoL @ me sayng about SRT, i now saw the advertisement on Beckys broadcast
#4 - Mako.
Yeah, i think that this is probably the biggest factor about it to me!

Yes, I can buy a nice game rig, 3 monitors, surround, custom racing desk, and a G25... and run all the sim games under the sun, but for the 4,000 usd I would spend, I would rathe buy a 1st generation Mazda RX-7 or Mazda Miata, and race prep it for autocross/ local track events. As much as I want to "get more involved" my crappy comp that pushes out 30fps as the average online, rickety ass desk, and 15" monitor just dont make me feel involved enough, and after 30min~1hr of racing, the (I think this is probably the reason) slow frame rate puts me to sleep! My DFP resonds just a TAD too slow, and I always end up concentrating really hard, and then after a while, just kinda passing out, and then drive like shit because I feel tired and like I need a nap!

Yeah, it really MUST be my FPS... Time to upgrade from the 19th century...
you don't need alienwere computer to run in a league, decent computer that can run about 30 FPS with full grid and about 100 when there is noone is enough, and LFS is made for that and thanks to Scawen that we don't need computers of 1000 Euros just to start the game
Momo, DFP or G25, how much money you have that's what you have and nice headphones. I quited racing on surround system long time ago, headphones are much better for sim

Also check this League: http://www.esport-racing.com/
It's new project and so far it's going good
#6 - kaynd
Well you don’t have to buy all this kind of stuff (mentioned @ SRT) to get involved.
Just a decent PC- wheel - network connection, will do the trick.

Also 4000$ might be enough just to by a car… the cost of putting it into racing or just events is another story… only tire cost is enough to blow your budget away…
#7 - Jakg
I have one thing to say to add to this discussion.

STCC FTW!

BTW I'm J. Green...
#8 - SamH
Quote from SamH :ooh can I have your autograph??

Only if I can have yours!!! :lovies3d: Your my hero in the STCC Sam!!!

Glad you enjoyed it! It is alot of hard work. Hours and hours of practice, not practice on getting the fastest lap time but practice to learn racecraft, on how to take away people's momentum while not leaving a gap, that type of training.

Then you step into the admin side. On top of the STCC is the CTRA which is much like the FIA is to F1. CTRA is working on expanding to sanction other leagues so it's not an elitest governing body. All in all there is alot of energy spent on making this a top knotch production that has fairness in mind!

I know Becky has a few more ideas up her sleeve with the production, so who knows what happens next =)

We do have a few real sponsors, the goal is to get a sponsor on every board and car IIRC.

www.simtouringcarcup.com =)
Well, yeah, you dont HAVE to, but I would want to spend about 1500 for a good computer, and then some more for a 20" monitor, and then get a G25...

As for Alienware: garbage, total waste of money, crap, and a total rip off! I will build my own PC thank you very much!

As far as the car goes:

You see, in th USA, this stuff is really easy for some reason if you know people and where to get stuff. For example:

A 1984 Mazda RX-7 suitable for racing: Oh, $1500?
Some good high preformance summer tires: 195-55-R15: $380

And I dont mean stuff like ITS... ie: the "pro" racing, but rather local events and track days would be fun. I have friends with trailers, and a shop, and tools, and other necessities/connections. Just need to get the ball rolling, and that's that.

BUT, i DO want to get a comp... maybe not a 1500 one, but a $800 one and a better monitor, because my hardware os aging, ghetto, and half assed rigged together and held with zip-ties... kinda like a 17 year olds drift mobile!
I'm Dustin Dawes if you haven't noticed!
#12 - JTbo
Don't buy 3 monitors, get one projector, much better
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm Dustin Dawes if you haven't noticed!

What is this, STCC represent thread?
We get autograph for free today?
no1 wants my autograph
I'm a commentator. It's my job to be rude to the governing body, and get taken to court. And sleep with the grid girls.
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :I gotta inform you that the 19th century ended in 1909...
So, welcome to the 21st century! Ha.

It ended in 1900 (on December 31st 1900 at 23:59:59.99 [recurring]), not 1909
Quote from R3DMAN :no1 wants my autograph

Thats because you threw a paddy and stomped out

Sim racing is as cheap as you can get for racing. You cannot find a better way to spend money if you want to get into racing. In the STCC the level of professionalism is top notch and the racing rivals anything I have ever seen on TV IMO. Sure it's not exactly the same, I would be stupid to think it is. It does relate though and the action is pretty close. There are alot of things that are missing (IE the 100's of hours spent preparing a car for a race) but the actual racing part is there, and every year the realism is getting better and better making for even more exciting racing.

Hop onto the CTRA servers, get into the second tier and you will see STCC style professionalism in most of the drivers in there. The action is the same in the second tier, just not as controlled as the STCC.

I am curious tristan why you though Jak could just race with a mouse? I thought the idea of the STCC was to promote it as a professional sport and not some little punk on his computer controlling a car with a mouse =P
I have seen the movie/serie before, and it`s awesome work. It shows LFS`s full potential, and I think it could be used some way as a adverting for the game.
Quote from The Very End :I have seen the movie/serie before, and it`s awesome work. It shows LFS`s full potential, and I think it could be used some way as a adverting for the game.

It does show whats possible, but not it's full potential =) There is so much more that could be done with these broadcasts it's not even funny.

From a hobby standpoint I don't think you could go much further with how the STCC is. YOu would need some full time people and jobs to continue the project into the bigger stages. Anyone up for donating 100k a year, with expansion into the millions? =P
Dragons' Den!
#21 - ste_
Quote from Mako. :http://youtube.com/watch?v=oX8i3E1ORl4

Holey Shamoley - that was great to watch! I was expecting another drifing video or pile-up video, but a whole race like that - cool beans I watched it all and it felt like it was 10 minutes long, but it was really 30, which is always a good sign. Kudos to all involved!
Quote from Viper93 :It does show whats possible, but not it's full potential =) There is so much more that could be done with these broadcasts it's not even funny.

From a hobby standpoint I don't think you could go much further with how the STCC is. YOu would need some full time people and jobs to continue the project into the bigger stages. Anyone up for donating 100k a year, with expansion into the millions? =P

Hehe, would be awesome if Scawen was the official sponsor and supporter of CTRA/STCC leagues Since it`s both probally the most serious, and complex serie(es) out there.

My hat off for your work and effort, if I had too much money I`ll sent ya some
Quote from The Very End :Hehe, would be awesome if Scawen was the official sponsor and supporter of CTRA/STCC leagues Since it`s both probally the most serious, and complex serie(es) out there.

That could actually work, STCC could become the official LFS league, and scavier could use parts of the broadcasts in future adverts.

I think the CTRA servers are a huge reason for some people to play LFS.
#25 - MR_B
Quote from N I K I :What is this, STCC represent thread?
We get autograph for free today?

I want a free poster! Can I sit in the cars, can i? Can I?!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG