The online racing simulator
Yes, you can sit in the cars. But don't touch ANYTHING else you'll melt the clutch.
Quote from Mako. :

The thing that amazes me, is just how freaking blind I used to be!
Perhaps living in America has infused me with the "it's only a videogame" opinion way too much, because I havent taken LFS as something to do almost professionaly.

Ok I didn't read the whole thread, just wanna answer to your post. That it's only a videogame mentality is not only common in America but also here in Europe (especially in Luxembourg). I'm one of those mad STCC drivers, and a lot of poeple understand all the effort I put in practice for such races etc... . Though there already are poeple seeing positive things, like " at least your not burning fuel like the real motorsport guys" or "with those fuel prices we might better be off with watching racing sims then real racing" etc... .
#28 - MR_B
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, you can sit in the cars. But don't touch ANYTHING else you'll melt the clutch.

Wow, sensitive clutch! Put your hands on the steering wheel and......... oh....
Quote from MR_B :Well you can either just treat it as a game. face value, play it an hour or 2 a week and that's your lot.

Thats about as much as i play these days, but i still want hardcore sim racing. Infact i want LFS to become, or at least have as an option an extreme hardcore level similar to GPL pro level. No maps, no time splits only small pitboard once a lap if your lucky to spot it, no huge flag warnings splashed across the screen just a little bloke somewhere at the side of the track waving a tiny flag, brake fade, engines and gearboxes that disintegrate if so much as rev them past their limits, the odd unexpected mechanical failure thrown in every now and then, no rear view, no external chase view etc etc, the list goes on...... come to think of it, LFS is a bit namby pamby aint it. Mmmm, i'm feeling hungry now, where's me back of nails.....

Honestly guys, if you're whinging about how easy it is to fry the clutch in LFS go have a game of GPL on Pro level, see how many laps you do before the car explodes.
#30 - MR_B
Quote from Mazz4200 :Thats about as much as i play these days, but i still want hardcore sim racing. Infact i want LFS to become, or at least have as an option an extreme hardcore level similar to GPL pro level. No maps, no time splits only small pitboard once a lap if your lucky to spot it, no huge flag warnings splashed across the screen just a little bloke somewhere at the side of the track waving a tiny flag, brake fade, engines and gearboxes that disintegrate if so much as rev them past their limits, the odd unexpected mechanical failure thrown in every now and then, no rear view, no external chase view etc etc, the list goes on...... come to think of it, LFS is a bit namby pamby aint it. Mmmm, i'm feeling hungry now, where's me back of nails.....

Honestly guys, if you're whinging about how easy it is to fry the clutch in LFS go have a game of GPL on Pro level, see how many laps you do before the car explodes.

We're not complaining about the clutch (well I'm not.) I haven't even fried it once yet! I'm struggling to heat it up. Me and my tepid clutch *be's smug*

I'm tired, leave me alone!
Quote from MR_B :I'm tired, leave me alone!

Your Avatar's beginning to scare me, the eyes are following me round the room, so i'll just say i wasn't having a go at you at all.

It's just all this nagging and whinging thats been going on in the forums recently is becoming a little irritating, and there's so many threads on the subject it's difficult to know where to put my rant, just so happened i was reading this thread when the urge struck me, but everything's cool now.
Little STCC vs eTM starting here

What i like is you can drive with those famous drivers for real and drive them in the railings of southcity or leave them in dust
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm a commentator. It's my job to be rude to the governing body, and get taken to court. And sleep with the grid girls.

Oh, and next race, go all Spanish Football announcer on us when <blanked to avoid spoiler > finishes, I had a request from someone who watched it last night that you need to do that (and talk more!)
I'll try. I have no idea what a spanish football announcer sounds like though!
Here:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

If you need a recording, I'll try and find one
Or just end every word with 'Oh'
im pretty sure its spanish but tbh my spanish is too rusty to be perfectly sure and the only portuguese i heard lately was brazilian which has an entirely different melody to it
Quote from Mako. :Well, yeah, you dont HAVE to, but I would want to spend about 1500 for a good computer, and then some more for a 20" monitor, and then get a G25...

<snip>

BUT, i DO want to get a comp... maybe not a 1500 one, but a $800 one and a better monitor, because my hardware os aging, ghetto, and half assed rigged together and held with zip-ties... kinda like a 17 year olds drift mobile!

I think you are VASTLY overestimating the cost of having a good sim racing setup. Take a look at the link in my signature. Most people agree that my setup is pretty darn immersive, and it didn't cost me that much at all. I paid $600 for my projector almost two years ago (the exact same model sold on eBay yesterday for under $200). I run a G25 that cost me about $300, but they go for about $250 now. My computer is a second-hand from a friend. I got it for $150 and it runs LFS at 50-80 fps easily, even with a bunch of AI on South City. My seat was free, taken from an old car. That's pretty much it other than headphones, cables, and normal stuff you probably already own. My setup is situated in a closet. I can easily tuck it away if I need to and it takes up almost no space at all.

Making a good sim setup does not have to be expensive, nor does it have to take up a bunch of space. Those are just excuses that people use when they don't want to make the effort.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Good god man are you trying to start a war !.....thats Portuguese isn't it ?

Spanish can get very touchy about that sort of thing

That's Spanish!
Nah, its Russian.
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :I gotta inform you that the 19th century ended in 1900...
So, welcome to the 21st century! Ha.

Umm, that's kinda the point there~

Quote from MyBoss :Nah, its Russian.

lol... yeah, as Russian as Uncle Benz! rofl.
Quote from MyBoss :I think the CTRA servers are a huge reason for some people to play LFS.

Indeed. I love the CTRA servers. They keep all the n00bs concentrated in one place so they're easy to avoid.
Quote from Mako. :http://youtube.com/watch?v=oX8i3E1ORl4

Wow, that looks almost like a broadcast of a real race!!! Was this done live? Holy shit! Now, I used to think... yeah, LFS is a sim and all, but after the dust clears, it IS only a videogame...

Well, looks like I didn't just miss the "seriousness" by a mile, but rather, in a different galaxy all together!

If you want to try seriousness, start practicing for the 24 hours at Kyoto. That was something else to participate in. I am aiming to to put together 4-5 people and race an XFG.
Quote from Forbin :Indeed. I love the CTRA servers. They keep all the n00bs concentrated in one place so they're easy to avoid.

Lol, /\ I can relate to that, I kept placing in the middle to back of the pack in even the beginnig servers, so if the amature ones are still considered noob servers, then I must be a lot worse of a driver than I thought!
I ve just watched all the lfs touring car races and it looks great and all but i do karting (and i am in the worlds biggest team) and the team spirit is just so much in real racing this game will never compare to real life i say all lfs driver should buy a kart and go race them!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG