The online racing simulator
roll cages in all cars
(151 posts, started )
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Yes, I also race frequently, and I agree that the racing element should be given priority, but roll cages shouldn't be forced upon anyone, it should be either a choice or not at all.

you are forced to drive with a helmet and race suit !
does that bother you?(or anybody that want to cruise , don't see anybody on the road with a helmet around here)
Quote from swingkid :you are forced to drive with a helmet and race suit !
does that bother you?(or anybody that want to cruise , don't see anybody on the road with a helmet around here)

The race suit and Helmet don't change the car weight and weight distribution! It's just a visual thing!

And actually I drive a car not the driver! I care about the way the car look and behave. I don't care about who's driving it. It could be an alien character i wouldn't give a crap!
Optional roll cages are ok but forced ones would kill the road car feeling!
wow...... so many complainers about roll cages.

Adding a roll cage doesn't make the car not a road car. It's still not a race prepped car, i just has the safety features required to race.

In racing you either follow the rules, or you don't get on the track. If it comes down to mass and distribution differences, here's what a marshall will tell you: You'll either cage it and like it, or you'll take it home.
Quote from Maelstrom :The race suit and Helmet don't change the car weight and weight distribution! It's just a visual thing!

yes but people are moaning that you don't see roll cages in road cars and you said that you couldn't die in lfs
so i was just making a comparison
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :wow...... so many complainers about roll cages.

Adding a roll cage doesn't make the car not a road car. It's still not a race prepped car, i just has the safety features required to race.

In racing you either follow the rules, or you don't get on the track. If it comes down to mass and distribution differences, here's what a marshall will tell you: You'll either cage it and like it, or you'll take it home.

It's a video game! Those rules have good reason to exit IRL but doesn't apply here! Of course as an option it can be cool for those interested in reproducing this particular type of events. But if we consider the general definition for racing we don't have to race exactly as they do in real life! A race with supermarket karts is also a race
Quote from Maelstrom :
Racing with a road car (without roll cage) is not impossible it's just hard because of regulation IRL . And I really don't care about regulation that have nothing to do in a video game where nobody gets hurt.

In that case then why have we got cars and tracks that vaguely follow real life? Yes this isn't reality but it's designed to give an authentic simulation of real world motor racing. If you want a game that doesn't attempt to give an authentic recreation of reality look at NFS or Wipeout.
Quote from ajp71 :In that case then why have we got cars and tracks that vaguely follow real life? Yes this isn't reality but it's designed to give an authentic simulation of real world motor racing. If you want a game that doesn't attempt to give an authentic recreation of reality look at NFS or Wipeout.

Really?
The game's so crowded with real cars and tracks and those guys working at the pit stops

Well I'm sure you get the feeling through my posts but IMO the aim of a simulation is to reproduce physics rules not human ones (at least for a car game). And I also got the impression that LFS is not totally oriented toward real life racing but more toward a raw definition of racing! We can race with everything and almost everwhere as long as we can separate the main path from the rest! (weel LFS obviouly restrained itself to wheel -propelled things)

And please spare me the "go play NFS" injunction. It feels so lame. I could answer go play rfactor, i guess it's more "real event" oriented than LFS!
look around the forum ,
people are constant comparing lfs with rl
so i think most people want it to be as "real " as it can get
i believe most suggestions and complains are about that
Quote from swingkid :look around the forum ,
people are constant comparing lfs with rl
so i think most people want it to be as "real " as it can get
i believe most suggestions and complains are about that

What peoples want and what's the game's aiming to are 2 different things! At least on this point the devs make it pretty clear! They know where they want to bring LFS and they won't yield to the players' demands.

I guess the whole improvement suggestion thread is more to bring them idea they wouldn't have thnik of than convice them of anything regarding what LFS should be like!
Quote from Maelstrom :What peoples want and what's the game's aiming to are 2 different things! At least on this point the devs make it pretty clear! They know where they want to bring LFS and they won't yield to the players' demands.

I guess the whole improvement suggestion thread is more to bring them idea they wouldn't have thnik of than convice them of anything regarding what LFS should be like!

so you know what they want ?
i think you interpret things like you want to
you say it's a video game?? isn't it a on line race simulator? (i would be insulted if i was a dev)
and this is a suggestions treat and i suggested roll cages and explained why i did (and with me others)
there are no good reasons (at least in my opinion) why they aren't in every car
Quote from swingkid :so you know what they want ?
and this is a suggestions treat and i suggested roll cages and explained why (with me others)

I don't think LFS has to make it a rule that EVERY car must have a roll cage. What about Raceabout - based on a real car, is it necessary to mess about with it by adding a roll cage? (The hoops behind the headrests wouldn't qualify by the way.) What about if the devs get a license for another real road car, should it be a case of only putting the car in the game for racing use IF the devs are allowed to add a full FIA approved style roll cage?

And if there are exceptions to the theoretical "rule" then it doesn't really matter if a few of the others don't have roll cages either, does it?

I'm indifferent to the idea really. On the one hand they add a little credibility, but on the other hand, there isn't anything else they add. ....Plus, I would much prefer if the devs made some seperate track prepared and only lightly breathed on versions, whilst reducing the setup options in the road variants so that they actually feel more like the road cars they purport to be.
Quote from swingkid :so you know what they want ?
you say it's a video game?? isn't it a on line race simulator? (i would be insulted if i was a dev)
and this is a suggestions treat and i suggested roll cages and explained why i did (and with me others)

That what the "And I also got the impression" is made for in my sentence

And well LFS is made for entertainement with a computer. Therefore it is a video game! The "this a not a video game but a simulation" thing that we can hear with some devs (not with scavier IIRC) is obviously marketing bullshit to trick naive fanboys!
Simulation that are not video games are not sold to the public! I didn't get the feeling that people were playing LFS out of scientific curiosity or even masochism! Maybe I'm wrong.
Quote from Maelstrom :What peoples want and what's the game's aiming to are 2 different things! At least on this point the devs make it pretty clear! They know where they want to bring LFS and they won't yield to the players' demands.

i was refering to this post
and http://www.lfs.net/?page=whatislfs it's a simulator
Quote from swingkid :i was refering to this post
and http://www.lfs.net/?page=whatislfs it's a simulator

This text is open to a large interpretation i guess
People (me included) can see in it pretty much what they want!

Simulator and video game are not exclusive to each other!
yes ques your are right about that
a well ,as long as we have fun with lfs in the way we want to
Quote from Primoz :Then we need slicks for all cars. How many racing series uses rollcages and road tires? I'd say an option when we have chassis flex - race spec or road spec. Rollcage gives extra 20-30 kilos (minus a lot more for a stripped interior), you get slicks. Road spec would be as it is. But then we have a load of simmilar cars again. Bah, bad idea.

Search A048's road legal cut semi-slicks my dad uses them on race days.
Quote from swingkid :you are forced to drive with a helmet and race suit !

No, because if I was crusing at 100mph/+ with similar speeds coming against me, I'd probably want a helmet and race suit!

BTW, the helmet and suit can be replaced with a man in a t-shirt (which looks quite funny when you see a man in an fxr at 150mph/+ !!!), but the roll cage could not be changed.
I know semi slicks exist. Your point is?
Quote from dougie-lampkin :No, because if I was crusing at 100mph/+ with similar speeds coming against me, I'd probably want a helmet and race suit!

BTW, the helmet and suit can be replaced with a man in a t-shirt (which looks quite funny when you see a man in an fxr at 150mph/+ !!!), but the roll cage could not be changed.

and no rollcage? don't think the helmet would help much then

man in t-shirt?
that is an onofficial add-on and not realy in lfs
Quote from swingkid :and no rollcage? don't think the helmet would help much then

man in t-shirt?
that is an onofficial add-on and not realy in lfs

But the point is, a rollcage would be forced upon the racer. Not everyone wants to race with a rollcage, it should be the racer's choice. Just the same as different tyre types, or different gear ratios are not forced upon anyone.
in rl a roll cage is forced up to a racer!
and a helmet and race suit is also forced up to the racers,only somebody else made a add-on
now the racers are forced to race without roll cage in the "road" cars witch is not ferry natural
It's not an addon - the models are all in LFS. In S1 you could just edit a text file to use them.

However, they are silly.

But the option to remove roll-cages (if/when they are added to all cars) is even sillier. It's a race sim, not a drive around slowly sim (primarily).
-
(dougie-lampkin) DELETED by dougie-lampkin
Who cares about RL? Its a game for christs sake! Make it forced, people will leave, make it an option, everyone's happy. Simple as that. Real life has hundreds of other features, keep in mind its a game at the end of the day.

Would you rather the devs fix bugs and make new cars, or waste all of their time putting pointless roll cages in each car?
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Who cares about RL? Its a game for christs sake! Make it forced, people will leave, make it an option, everyone's happy.

I've yet to see any argument for why rollcages should not be included in a racing simulator. I cannot believe that any racers will stop playing LFS based on the fact that it has extra realistic detail added.

Quote :
Would you rather the devs fix bugs and make new cars, or waste all of their time putting pointless roll cages in each car?

3D modeling is done by Eric, programing is done by Scawen. Besides that there are already rollcages modeled for every car that
has a GTR version (all except RB4).
#75 - Jakg
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Not everyone wants to race with a rollcage, it should be the racer's choice. Just the same as different tyre types, or different gear ratios are not forced upon anyone.

...?

Good luck if you ever try real racing. You'll need it.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Who cares about RL? Its a game for christs sake!

If you don't care about RL, then surely you don't care about the Physics...?

roll cages in all cars
(151 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG