The online racing simulator
roll cages in all cars
(151 posts, started )
Right now, Rollcages are needless eye-candy in my opinion. Wouldn't mind them being in if/when all the cars + interiours get a visual overhaul.

Concerning the tyres I disagree. With the super road tyres in game, you can corner harder than with ordsinary ones anyway.

And finally concerning the passengers: if/when the long time announced rallye-pack (was it really announced or just a rumour that got a life of its own back then?) is coming out, the "not enough realism" guys would certainly scream for a co-pilot So I think they can be left in. Also, I see no point in removing existing features.
Quote from evilgeek :

it's madness, and i wouldn't do it, but people can, and do. i think that with cars like the XRG it would be silly to have a cage. if you were going to put a rollcage in a car like that, you would do a bunch of performance mods while you were at it, and it wouldn't be an XRG anymore...

in rl you must (in most countries)have a roll cage in a racing car but you can't just put some performance parts on it
every racing class have his rules!
here we had citroen ax,saxo, renault clio ,austin metro ......
they were (are) standard (class N) cars, i believe in great Britain there are a lot of these classes
Quote from wark :underwear shoes? i must not have gotten the memo

p.s. i swear there was another thread with this exact title.

oh, wait—it was "cages."

don't forget that not everybody has English as a native languish
( I'm very happy with the spelling check but it isn't always enough ,as you can read)
We've had this discussion before, but here goes:

LFS "road cars" use road tyres. Road tyres are used in real life racing all over the world, end of story, nothing wrong with having a control tyre that is a road tyre.

LFS "road cars" are used for racing. Therefore they are by definition "racing cars". ALL racing cars (proper door-to-door racing), regardless of any performance modifications, MUST be fitted with a roll cage to meet scrutineering requirements. There really is no case for them not being there (except of course that this is all virtual and noone can get hurt so safety features are entirely redundant - wouldn't exactly need a fire extinguisher or emergency cut off switch either would you ).

The way I look at it is that if these cars were real and had been used in a one-make cup (doesn't mean any significant performance mods of any kind remember), then the LFS cars should try to be as close to what those racing models would be like as possible.
Being a racing simulator doesn't mean it have to be briddle to match non physics limitations!

It's would be like saying: We can't simulate a nuclear bomb impact over a city cause IRL it would a genocide!
Quote from Maelstrom :Being a racing simulator doesn't mean it have to be briddle to match non physics limitations!

It's would be like saying: We can't simulate a nuclear bomb impact over a city cause IRL it would a genocide!

Soory but can you explain that i doint realy get it ~~sorry~~

Well ajp71 you gave a pretty hard argument. I must say i'm for rollcages then. And stripped interieors. Sure will take away some of the track day feel of TBOs and STDs but what the heck, we are all serious racers here in LFS, aren't we?
then we don't have any road cars. race cars have roll cages and such because they are made for racing. street cars are made for the street. thats what we have in LFS. we just race the street cars.
Here's my vote. Either add the roll cages to the street cars, or don't have the character wearing a racing suit and helmet. If you are wearing a racing suit, odds are you'll be in a car with a roll cage. If it doesn't have a roll cage, odds are you'll be taking your car out for a track day, and won't be wearing a full suit.

Even better. Practice sessions and hot lapping stuff should have a regular driver w/o the roll cage, where as full-on races have the roll cage and suit.

Maybe even have the servers specify which mode, so that cruise servers and stuff don't have it, but the racing/drifting servers do.

That way EVERYONE'S happy!
I don't think the devs are gonna go for this becuase you can't just add a roll cage to a street car and expet it to drive better. you wouldn't do that to your ferrari would you?
I think the road cars are fine the way they are.

and BTW, I use a suit and helmet.
this is why I rearly post in the improvement suggestions.

@ajp71 sense when is this your battle?
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I don't think the devs are gonna go for this becuase you can't just add a roll cage to a street car and expet it to drive better. you wouldn't do that to your ferrari would you?
I think the road cars are fine the way they are.

and BTW, I use a suit and helmet.
this is why I rearly post in the improvement suggestions.

@ajp71 sense when is this your battle?

I don't think you quite understand the function of a roll cage, but I agree, there's certainly no reason to expect a normal road car to drive better with a roll cage. If I were to race the Ferrari, even just once, then I would have to add one. That's the point everyone is making. If a car is raced it's a race car. It's more plausible to drive a car on the road with a roll cage (like a Porsche 911 GT3rs for example), than to race a car without one.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :then we don't have any road cars. race cars have roll cages and such because they are made for racing. street cars are made for the street. thats what we have in LFS. we just race the street cars.

If your definition of a 'street' car is what comes out the showroom without any safety modifications you will not be able to race it at any FIA sanctioned event anywhere in the world so your choice of events will be rather limited.

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I don't think the devs are gonna go for this becuase you can't just add a roll cage to a street car and expet it to drive better. you wouldn't do that to your ferrari would you?

A rollcage isn't a performance item, the fact many are adapted into one is completely irrelevant. If you want to race a Ferrari you would have to install a rollcage, cut out switch, fire extinguisher and full harnesses, otherwise you can't race it simple as that.
If LFS is meant to be simulating real racing, then no matter what cars are involved it needs to follow basic regulations from real life. Even the lower rungs of motorsport require cars to have roll cages, stripped interiors, race seats and harnesses. So LFS should follow that. The cars aren't just on a track day, they're racing.

That doesn't mean the cars need slicks. Very few series' race on slicks, though in the MR2 series I plan on entering all cars must be running the same model of (road) tyre.
Quote from spookthehamster :Even the lower rungs of motorsport require cars to have roll cages, stripped interiors, race seats and harnesses.

Not all series require racing seats and none that I'm aware of stipulate that the interior must be striped. So for those really worried about it just the addition of rollcages without a fully stripped interior could be realistic although a fully stripped cockpit is far more likely to be found on a standard car racing.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Soory but can you explain that i doint realy get it ~~sorry~~

It's just that to claim the simulator title you need only to restrain your game to what is possible in real life not to what people do in real life!

And my personal opinion is that the fun resides mainly in the remainder of those 2!
-1 for forced rollcages, but what about a choice? It could be done similar to the roof on/off feature in certain cars.

Not everyone uses LFS solely for racing. Cruise servers are very popular also. Wouldn't you feel a bit silly in a UF1 at 50mph with a full rollcage, plumbed fire extinguisher and stripped interior?

IMHO this should be reserved solely for the GTR spec cars, but thats just my opinion.
Well if you say choice, I'm asuming "no cage - lighter, more body roll" "yes cage - heavier, more stiff"

If thinking that way, it's obvious what the laptime freaks will pick, just my two cents though...
~Bryan~
Quote from dougie-lampkin :
Not everyone uses LFS solely for racing. Cruise servers are very popular also.

LFS is a racing simulator other novelties shouldn't change that.
Yes I agree 100% with you ajp71. If it was brought up to accommodate other 'driving styles' then I suppose it would make sense, but LFS is purely track racing at its finest. Cages are recommended, and really is a precaution worth taking, they are also mandatory in a lot of cases.
~Bryan~
#45 - Osco
Quote from dropin_biking :Well if you say choice, I'm asuming "no cage - lighter, more body roll" "yes cage - heavier, more stiff"

If thinking that way, it's obvious what the laptime freaks will pick, just my two cents though...
~Bryan~

you mean chassis flex instead of body roll? as the latter is referencing to suspension setup
Quote from ajp71 :LFS is a racing simulator other novelties shouldn't change that.

Yes, I also race frequently, and I agree that the racing element should be given priority, but roll cages shouldn't be forced upon anyone, it should be either a choice or not at all.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Yes, I also race frequently, and I agree that the racing element should be given priority, but roll cages shouldn't be forced upon anyone, it should be either a choice or not at all.

IRL the choice is rollcage or go home so what should be different in LFS?
Quote from ajp71 :IRL the choice is rollcage or go home so what should be different in LFS?

You don't die in LFS! You don't pay if you screw your car!
One interesting thing in LFS is that it brings (or aim to) a wide variety of cars. Race car and also road car. If you force the roll cage we won't have road car anymore. At least not like the ones we drive on the road.

Racing with a road car (without roll cage) is not impossible it's just hard because of regulation IRL . And I really don't care about regulation that have nothing to do in a video game where nobody gets hurt.
First give me a normal rally car,or put the roll cages in to RB4!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 when the cars get overhauled anyway. It's only a visual thing that won't immediately affect the quality of racing so on a done when it's done basis.

It's an open and shut case IMO and this sentence says why:

Quote from sinbad :It's more plausible to drive a car on the road with a roll cage (like a Porsche 911 GT3rs for example), than to race a car without one.

roll cages in all cars
(151 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG