The online racing simulator
roll cages in all cars
(151 posts, started )
roll cages in all cars
in rl a car have to compile with at least the safety regulations before you can race it on a track
so i also like to see roll cages in the "street "cars
and in my opinion the numberplate's look a little off on a race car
instead just the possibility to put your own text on the bumper?
in real life there are plenty of "sports car" race classes that do not require a roll cage.
never seen one
or do you mean the sport cars with the cages build in the chassis as a part of the car?
thats not like the "street" cars
in the Netherlands every race class has a roll cage, fire extinguisher and power off switch
the driver has to have a race suit ,underwear, shoes, gloves and helmet
Yes, but if u just take your car for a "trackday" or something, then u wouldn't need a roll cage
#5 - Dru
LFS races are not 'trackdays'

There will be people for and against this idea.

Personally I'm for it only so then it makes it a little more than racinging your saloon car with a set of overall on, but since that it's actually just 'eye candy' then there is no real need to go back an change it..
no thank you
Quote from Dru :LFS races are not 'trackdays'

Yup! The road cars need roll cages.

Actually though, you can't generalize that LFS races are not trackdays. It's all up to how the server is set up. There are quite a few servers that run just qualify or practice sessions with all cars enabled that run more like trackdays.
#8 - Dru
Quote from mrodgers :Yup! The road cars need roll cages.

Actually though, you can't generalize that LFS races are not trackdays. It's all up to how the server is set up. There are quite a few servers that run just qualify or practice sessions with all cars enabled that run more like trackdays.

this is true, thats why i used the word 'races'
Then we need slicks for all cars. How many racing series uses rollcages and road tires? I'd say an option when we have chassis flex - race spec or road spec. Rollcage gives extra 20-30 kilos (minus a lot more for a stripped interior), you get slicks. Road spec would be as it is. But then we have a load of simmilar cars again. Bah, bad idea.
Quote from evilgeek :in real life there are plenty of "sports car" race classes that do not require a roll cage.

To my knowledge there is no sanctioning body in the world allowing wheel to wheel competition between modern cars without a rollcage (or for FIA a roll bar is acceptable on open production cars under 2 litres or for cars that are used on the road with special exception by the national governing body for practicality and safety (head injury) purposes in road use a rear roll bar for larger open cars). It is also now required under FIA regulations to have a plumbed in fire extinguisher system (until recently only a hand held was required) so I think the addition of an extinguisher, rollcage and some striping of trim would be suitable for all cars. TBH LFS is an online racing simulator so it has no need to cater for track day/road usage of these cars.

Quote from Primoz :Then we need slicks for all cars. How many racing series uses rollcages and road tires?

Well any series using road tires by definition has to use a roll cage and there are plenty of club series using road tires. A typical weekend at my local club would be:
Stock + hot hatch, Locost, Formula Vee, Kit Cars, Roadsports, SaxMax, RGB, MR2s, Golfs, SRGT, MG Midgets (some classes)

And typically the following on slicks:
Formula 4, Midgets (some classes) and 750 Formula

As you can see that's four championships on road tires to one on slicks. That ratio probably isn't typical across all meetings but it highlights the fact that lots of cars are raced on road tires
No. LFS has street cars too.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :No. LFS has street cars too.

In simple terms for you:

LFS is a racing simulator. All 'street' cars that race have to have rollcages. Therefore all cars in LFS should have rollcages.
Quote from ajp71 :In simple terms for you:

LFS is a racing simulator. All 'street' cars that race have to have rollcages. Therefore all cars in LFS should have rollcages.

but then they are not street cars anymore. they are tuners/semiracer cars. seen any soupped up honda civics with roll cages?
Seen any 'souped' up Honda worthy of a roll cage?

+1 for the idea. If your gonna be throwing around the FXO, XRT, and RB4 the way we do in LFS, you would want a roll cage, especially considering they are also used on the rally courses.
~Bryan~
got to be -1. we already have enough roll caged cars. and only fast cars need a stronger roof. plus it would mess up all the skin files.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :but then they are not street cars anymore. they are tuners/semiracer cars. seen any soupped up honda civics with roll cages?

Seen any souped up Honda Civics without a rollcage in competitive wheel to wheel RACING.

Of course it depends on what you class as a 'street' or stock car. Street is a weird American term that I've always taken to refer to anything road legal, or possibly anything road legal and road worthy. Regardless of what you think all sanctioning bodies regard the addition of a rollcage, bucket seats, 6 point harnesses, fire extinguishers and master switches as (mostly required) essential safety modifications that you can make to any competition car without any question of it remaining as being considered completely standard. There's no denying that a rollcage adds a potential huge performance gain in potentially removing the bodyshell as a structural component. AFAIK there are no regulations that try and restrict this gain by limiting rollcage design, as although there is a substantial performance gain available it's pretty tricky territory to tackle because obviously they absolutely do not want to inhibit the effectiveness of the rollcage's primary purpose. Actually it's quite common to see near standard production cars, especially classic cars being made far too stiff and getting into problems because they don't have the flexibility to redesign fairly archaic suspension systems to accept for the (virtual) complete lack of chassis flex.

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :got to be -1. we already have enough roll caged cars. and only fast cars need a stronger roof. plus it would mess up all the skin files.

That just proves the point you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Sorry I'm beginning to get testy but I really really hate this cavalier attitude of seemingly thinking a road car is remotely safe in even a fairly small crash by racing standards. Unfortunatley at least 3 people in the last 3 years of leavers from my school, that's only about 300 people, have been killed in road accidents, two of which ridiculously excessive speed appear to have been the cause and one of which was inappropriate speed for conditions, all young people killed because they just had no grip on reality, and a fourth 'lucky' escape resulting in brain damage isn't nice to here. A road car stands very little chance in a high speed roll, especially older hatchbacks that tend to be popular with young clueless people (and AFAIK all four of the accidents involved small hatchbacks, one had a roll, two wrapped round trees and one met a lorry). On a track rolls, and big ones at that aren't uncommon, in fact most of the time they're a soft way to dissipate the energy dependent on the fact that you have a decent rollcage. I think I've seen at least an average of a good roll a meeting this year, nearly all in the production class races, nearly all near standard small hatchbacks, no injuries at all...
-
(wark) DELETED by wark : double
#17 - wark
Quote from swingkid :underwear shoes

underwear shoes? i must not have gotten the memo

p.s. i swear there was another thread with this exact title.

oh, wait—it was "cages."
#18 - Gunn
+1 to roll cages, no number plates, and performance tyres.
Quote from ajp71 :To my knowledge there is no sanctioning body in the world allowing wheel to wheel competition between modern cars without a rollcage

maybe not "proper" series with championships at stake, but around here i've seen club racing leagues that allow it. they specify that you can't run slicks unless you also have a rollcage and fuel cell, but if you are running street tires the only special equipment required (other than passing a general safety inspection) is an FIA approved harness.

it's madness, and i wouldn't do it, but people can, and do. i think that with cars like the XRG it would be silly to have a cage. if you were going to put a rollcage in a car like that, you would do a bunch of performance mods while you were at it, and it wouldn't be an XRG anymore...
Maybe before adding roll cages to everything on wheels we should first
*cough* *harumph*
GET RID OF THE PASSENGERS!
Have you ever seen a passenger in a racing car when it is racing or qualifying?

And if I'm not mistaking most track days don't allow passengers either.

#21 - Dru
Quote from March Hare :Maybe before adding roll cages to everything on wheels we should first
*cough* *harumph*
GET RID OF THE PASSENGERS!
Have you ever seen a passenger in a racing car when it is racing or qualifying?

And if I'm not mistaking most track days don't allow passengers either.

over here in the UK Trackdays you can have passengers, same in Europe i think, certainly around the nordscheife you can go 2 up.

However it is clearly stressed that you are not covered by insurance and that most people should/must have a helmet.
I've been a passenger at track days at Goodwood and Zolder, so it's definitely allowed. Helmet worn both times, neither car had a roll cage. Of course, we weren't racing each other though.
It'd really stiffen up the chassis.

+1
+1 to having more race like tyres, but a -1 to have roll cages. It would'nt look right as alot of road car's converted to track racers have stripped interiors, and alot of stuff chucked out to save weight. Having a fully loaded RB4 with a roll cage would look abit silly imo ^^

+ it would mess up skins.
Quote from evilgeek :maybe not "proper" series with championships at stake, but around here i've seen club racing leagues that allow it. they specify that you can't run slicks unless you also have a rollcage and fuel cell, but if you are running street tires the only special equipment required (other than passing a general safety inspection) is an FIA approved harness.

But are they wheel to wheel racing? Over here you don't need one for a standard car in (sprints/hillclimbs) or track days but you have to have one for racing. I don't believe you aren't required a rollcage to race in Canada, it seems suicidal to me to race without one. Wheel to wheel racing does result in contact, it can't be completely avoided in any series and I can't think of a standard road car championship I've followed with that hasn't had rolls (and big ones).

roll cages in all cars
(151 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG