The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :All the above bullshit

You talk like you know whats what and how to overtake people correctly, but you're shit so whatever you're doing must be wrong so in future just shut up and stop pulling up fantasy names on 'how they overtake'.

We all know perfectly well how they overtake as we watch them on TV doing just that, and good for you that you've had the chance to race with the best but that doesn't mean anything. You're pulling your own opinion into this and trying to make it seem fact, so shut up quit talking crap and come back once you've got something to prove.
Quote from Rooble :You talk like you know whats what and how to overtake people correctly, but you're shit so whatever you're doing must be wrong so in future just shut up and stop pulling up fantasy names on 'how they overtake'.

We all know perfectly well how they overtake as we watch them on TV doing just that, and good for you that you've had the chance to race with the best but that doesn't mean anything. You're pulling your own opinion into this and trying to make it seem fact, so shut up quit talking crap and come back once you've got something to prove.

btw I didn't write that comment! I do not know how that came to be... I deleted something else in the above post... that's odd.

fantasy name... who is fantasy exactly????

come back when I have something to prove??? and I pull my own opinion to make it seem fact?? I seem to be the only person actually seeking any sort of video evidence to explain my points...,. unlike everyone else who tries to explain their 'ideal' type of racing without anything to back it up....
I guess the answer to my game is no.

Quote from Intrepid :hehehe... dear o dear..... well if that's how your only supposed to overtake I better go an tell 99% of champions in any motorsport they are idiots!

i better tell (some by a psychic)

Rossi - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJkWbwoA2g

The early passes in that sequence were all of the kind I described... waiting for the guy ahead to make a mistake and capitalizing. The final pass was a questionable move, but he was fully alongside before they really began to turn hard into the corner. Rossi had the line, even if Gib didn't see him.

Quote :Litchfield - http://one.revver.com/watch/85498

Video is 7+ minutes long... not sure what I'm looking for.

Quote :Rowland - http://one.revver.com/watch/178405

Karting can be quite different from other types of racing and this is a case in point. There aren't many (any?) circumstances in LFS where you can throw a car sideways into a hairpin corner and trust that you'll have enough grip to make it stick. Try it in a XFG and you get something like your laughable video from earlier in the thread.

Quote :Gilles Villenuerve - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tXJm9tYGM

People love to trot this one out in defense of overly aggressive driving, but really the majority of the action was started by a simple drafting pass and it was sustained by a series of errors that allowed successive passes (a la Massa and Kubica @ Fuji). There aren't really any kamikaze moves or anything that the other driver wouldn't expect given the circumstances. And again, they're all perfectly clean compared to the vid of your pass that you posted earlier.
Quote :Karting can be quite different from other types of racing and this is a case in point. There aren't many (any?) circumstances in LFS where you can throw a car sideways into a hairpin corner and trust that you'll have enough grip to make it stick. Try it in a XFG and you get something like your laughable video from earlier in the thread.

Are you quite sure about that? I know I can! in my opinion u are vastly limiting your own driving... because the way you describe overtaking requires a MASSIVE straight into a tight corner....

In races, especially short ones you just don't have enough time for the other guy to make a mistake.... Racing YOU would be easy.... All i would have to do is when your behind me make sure I lose enough time mid corner before a straight so that you can't get a long beside me down the straight.... i have raced so many guys with your attitude who are much FASTER than me.... and u just use the same old techniques and they sit behind me... i love it!

I don't have to do anything illegal, just make sure I scrub enough speed of mid corner so you can't get your throttle on... EASY!

Tell me... how would you get past me...

one lap left.... for the F1 World Championship.... your quicker than me... but slightly under powered, and I am making sure your not getting a good exit.... would you sit there and just take it???? come on!!! your tellin me u wouldn't just go for it nuts deep?

you must understand I am not having a go at you... I just would like it for you to drive ballsy, nuts deep, the whole thing!!!! doesn't mean there's contact.... it's just good hard racing... it's a skill.... everyone can get better exits that's easy.... what makes a real driver is how the go for it when the chips are down... how they slice through the pack... that's what it's all about!
If you get past the guy infront and don't get penalised for it, then its a good overtake. End of story. You might not win friends, but motorsport is about winning races. Champions are ruthless and uncompromising, thats what makes them so interesting to watch.
Some people are just able to switch between being a nice person, and being a champion. Rossi being the perfect example, nice bloke off the bike, ruthless on it.
Quote from XVII :Some people just seem to take things way too seriously...IT IS JUST A GAME! GET OVER IT!

Do whatever it takes to get first place, WHATEVER THE COST! Did you forget that, or were you too concerned over your pet courtesies of other drivers who wish to take first away from you?

Ohhhh that "its just a game" comment always gets me.

So 'cos its a game you have free reign to ruin other peoples enjoyment of the same game?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If you get past the guy infront and don't get penalised for it, then its a good overtake. End of story. You might not win friends, but motorsport is about winning races. Champions are ruthless and uncompromising, thats what makes them so interesting to watch.
Some people are just able to switch between being a nice person, and being a champion. Rossi being the perfect example, nice bloke off the bike, ruthless on it.

here here
Quote from Akuma66 :Ohhhh that "its just a game" comment always gets me.

So 'cos its a game you have free reign to ruin other peoples enjoyment of the same game?

ruin other peoples enjoyment... mate that's what racing is about lol

there's nothing enjoyable about losing a position... if we didn't have that balance of people enjoying themselves, while some are left disappointed we wouldn't have RACING

and of the day the task is to demote the driver in front... racing is always fun... winning or losing isn't why I do it... I do it because i love overtaking like a loon (legally).... what's the point of being like everyone else???
Quote from Intrepid :ruin other peoples enjoyment... mate that's what racing is about lol

there's nothing enjoyable about losing a position... if we didn't have that balance of people enjoying themselves, while some are left disappointed we wouldn't have RACING

So with your logic then, you would only find one person in each server?

I can enjoy a race even if I lose an exciting battle on the last corner. The fun for me lies in the RACING, not winning at all costs.

In fact, I feel sorry for you if winning is the only way you can truely enjoy the game...

Also, surely the whole 'ballsy driving' idea can apply to both attack and defence. For example, say you try an aggressive move under braking on the inside into a corner, I can choose to do one of several things.

A. Think 'oh this guy is going to overtake me' and concede the corner. ie how you expect everyone else to act.
B. Hold my line and hope to keep or regain the position via getting on the power earlier.
C. Think 'I'm not going to let you get away with this', and block the line. Potentially causing an accident if one of us doesn't back off.

Now, if I was to be driving as aggressively as you, I would likely vote for option C. It simply doesn't work. If both drivers are overly aggressive the overtaking move will end in an accident in a high percentage of cases. (as you seem to be experiencing). There needs to be restraint shown on both sides.

BTW, reeling off a list of F1 drivers doesn't wash. These are extremely talented drivers and their limits as to what is acceptable differ widely to those of more unskilled drivers (ie, US). In F1 there will be unspoken rules as to what is acceptable between drivers, just as there are in LFS. The differences in these rules between them and us occur due to the major differences in talent. (and the wide range of talent found on the average LFS grid).
Quote from Origamiboy :So with your logic then, you would only find one person in each server?

I can enjoy a race even if I lose an exciting battle on the last corner. The fun for me lies in the RACING, not winning at all costs.

In fact, I feel sorry for you if winning is the only way you can truely enjoy the game...

maybe u missed my edited extra

edit: and of the day the task is to demote the driver in front... racing is always fun... winning or losing isn't why I do it... I do it because i love overtaking like a loon (legally).... what's the point of being like everyone else???

i edit quite frequently..

i have written quite extensively about this subject... what appears on the outside to be a driver who wants to win at all costs couldn't actually be further from the truth.
Alan, you're just trolling at this point.

I wash my hands of this thread, see ya.
Quote from Intrepid :maybe u missed my edited extra

edit: and of the day the task is to demote the driver in front... racing is always fun... winning or losing isn't why I do it... I do it because i love overtaking like a loon (legally).... what's the point of being like everyone else???

You're an idiot and your idea of racing is distorted beyond measure, go play counter strike or something.
Quote :I wash my hands of this thread, see ya.

I win.... I have defeated you in battle....sorry mate I couldn't help myself!
Quote from Rooble :You're an idiot and your idea of racing is distorted beyond measure, go play counter strike or something.

give me an example of a racing champion that has NEVER overtaken like I have described?
so ... if youre the be all end all of racing ... why havent you moved past karts yet or won any noteworthy lfs leagues ?
Quote from Intrepid :give me an example of a racing champion that has NEVER overtaken like I have described?

Give me an example of a racing champion that has OFTEN overtaken like you have described?
Ever heard of the expression 'its easier said than done'?

EDIT: by the way I agree with them about your example video Intrepid. I would also 'unobserve' your overtake if your in my blind spot until you enter the apex of the turn too fast and crash across the front of my car.

EDIT EDIT: Your defense would be that it was a block pass, but there is a difference between block passes and parking across the apex of a turn and expecting the guy to stand on the brakes.
Quote from Shotglass :so ... if youre the be all end all of racing ... why havent you moved past karts yet or won any noteworthy lfs leagues ?

because for me there isn't a move past karts... Karts is it FULL STOP.... even when Senna moved to cars he HAD to try and win the Karting World Championship... which he couldn't... and then ask yourself who Senna thought was the best driver he ever raced against... 'Terry Fullerton'... when a field of 30 racers are separated by just .4 second I know which racing I would prefer to be in.... and look at my sig nuff said! Arguably guys liek Fore, Ardigo, Catt, Kozlinski, Manetti, Rossi etc... are as talented as any F1 driver.... Fore is just a tor da force, and even Schumacher is in awe of this guy! You want to go cars... u needs at LEAST a million quid to make it worthwhile, otherwise you end up it some bandit series! I cant even afford karts!!!! that's why I spend TOO MUCH time on this bleedin' sim!

I did a bit of the OWRL when I started getting serious, but to be honest didn't really dig it, and also my pedals, and wheel never work 100% and u can't race a league if you have to recalibrate your wheel every 5 minutes.... I am a cheap skate

but enough about me! why did u ask this..and BTW I have never said I am the be all and end all... I have describe WHO are the be all and end all... I have never said I was one of them.... what's th point now we have gone off topic
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Ever heard of the expression 'its easier said than done'?

EDIT: by the way I agree with them about your example video Intrepid. I would also 'unobserve' your overtake if your in my blind spot until you enter the apex of the turn too fast and crash across the front of my car.

EDIT EDIT: Your defense would be that it was a block pass, but there is a difference between block passes and parking across the apex of a turn and expecting the guy to stand on the brakes.

i had already observed that the driver behind me had made the move... I knew he was in my blind spot..... I always keep an eye on my rear view mirror... thats the norm... due to the lack of peripheral vision you always have to be spatially aware of the cars behind you....
Quote from Origamiboy :Give me an example of a racing champion that has OFTEN overtaken like you have described?

lol... how about every single ONE
That video would of gone like this in my head (if I was the one being 'overtaken')

Flat left careful not to hit the curb on the exit

Check mirror, that guy is miles back

Pick braking point, check mirror again, still miles back

Brake and look for the apex, stop braking

Check mirror, where the hell is he?

CRASH
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :That video would of gone like this in my head (if I was the one being 'overtaken')

Flat left careful not to hit the curb on the exit

Check mirror, that guy is miles back

Pick braking point, check mirror again, still miles back

Brake and look for the apex, stop braking

Check mirror, where the hell is he?

CRASH

THIS MIGHT BE THE ROUTE OF THE PROBLEM... NO offence meant....

but maybe this culture in LFS has been bread into the very fabric of 'sim' racers...

I expect everything and anything... I constantly expect someone to make a move... always aware... you have to be like that in real life... always looking forward, but being prepared for everything....at So classis T1... if i can see a car in my mirror that's within 100m i always suspect they could take a nibble!

I think what's happened over LFS is that the racing hasn't developed. Maybe the community is too close and people are fearful of annoying someone. So people don't defend hard, and they right off whether someone is going to attempt an overtake depending on the exit previous corner.

That's why when me, and other guys do these moves that work in real life, because naturally people are more aware... in lFS people aren't used to it.

unfortunately for you guys... you now know I am comin for ya... I will take no prisoners.... no mercy! lol

when I race with like minded people it is INCREDIBLY close, and there is practically ZERO contact.... you need respect, awareness, and balls!!!!
I always expect it to rain, I don't expect a pink elephant to fall out of the sky and land on my foot though.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I always expect it to rain, I don't expect a pink elephant to fall out of the sky and land on my foot though.

Quote from Intrepid :...

well lets see what we have established up till now
- you dont drive particularly good
- you constantly keep finding excuses for your driving
- you keep finding excuses for why your driving keeps you from achieving anything in either real world driving or lfs
- you keep claiming you overtake just like some of the best
- you are even less skilled at using a forum

and to top it all off you think that its somehow possible to overtake someone 100m in front of you in a braking zone thats barely 100 metres long
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG