The online racing simulator
#1 - XVII
Who the crap cares about honor in a racing GAME, JUST DRIVE!
I mean come on, who cares if someone bumps into you or nudges you (obviously someone who is intentionally trying to just hit other people with their car is a problem)

But from seeing everything on this board...YOU GUYS ARE WAY TOO UPTIGHT ABOUT MAKING SURE YOU DON'T TAP SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR!

Whatever happened to just having fun with racing? Doing this freaking honor system thing is ridiculous! You guys could have a lot of fun if you let down on some of the "standards" of "honor" driving. I say whoever gets first they do whatever it takes to get first. That is the most important part of the race, GETTING FIRST PLACE! That is the whole premises of racing in general!! The glory of winning the race. If someone sideswipes you and they get ahead of you...you should have seen them coming and gotten ready.

Defensive driving yeah, but a little offense would relieve some stress in the race.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and disagreed to wazoo...I don't really care. Just something for you guys to think about.
ummm dude why you so harsh? racing SIM.thats what lfs is.some ppl use helmets like jakg i think.but if you get bumbed you get pissed.thats racing.we all get mad if we crash. you do to i bet.so get over it
there's nothing wrong with driving aggressively, but you have to know your limits and you have to be respectful of your fellow driver.

end of story.
#4 - kaynd
Just wait till you get these friendly “bumps” and you will understand why...
Anyone with half a clue cares about racing fairly - it's common goddam sense to avoid contact where possible, if for no other reason than there's an equal chance of ruining your own race if you decide to bump someone. Contact in closed-wheeler racing is unavoidable sometimes, but if someone's the kind of racer who thinks "anything goes" in the pursuit of victory I hope to **** I never see them on the grid next to me - but then again it might be interesting to see how they'd react if I raced them like "anything goes".

"If someone sideswipes you and they get ahead of you...you should have seen them coming and gotten ready."

Bullshit. First rule of racing: if you're coming from behind it's YOUR responsibility to avoid contact with the car in front. If someone's a fast enough driver to pass me he oughta be good enough to pass me clean and not touch me. If he can make a clean pass I'll give him enough room to get by me and I'll suck it up and try and catch him at the next corner. Just because this is sim-racing and there are no physical consequences for car contact I don't see a single reason to drive like it's GTA. You race against people, not AI, so give them the same breaks you'd expect from them or you'll fast find yourself kicked from any half-decent server. Like I said, a little contact's inevitable and isn't a big deal, but if someone's using contact as a passing strategy they'll soon meet the end of someone's patience and might also find themselves in a wall.
I agree with Hankstar here, mostly.

IMO, I think sometimes a little contact is needed, to the drivers who are full of themselves, and think they can put their car up the inside of stupid corners and get away with it. I almost always give room to the car on the inside, even if it's a stupid move, because I don't want my race ruined. Though they should expect a stupid move coming straight at them in the next corner.
I race karts IRL (as many people do here) and I don't avoid contact at all time, because that can cause an accident if you suddenly hit the brakes, don't be suprized if you have a kart on top of your head in a split second. So little taps or rubs are fine with me... And I give them aswell, I suppose that's why some people know me as a dirty racer, but oh well, they can go screw themselves.

As for doing anything to win, I feel the same way. If it's the last lap(s) of a race, and I'm close enough to make a move, I'll do it, even if they are defending their line. I (like most racers) have a desire to win, and do almost anything - within the rules - to get it, if that involves slight contact, so be it. There are a lot of drivers who complain of little bumps, but think it's fine if they give you a big bump that sends you off the racing line.

Anyway... have fun in this thread guys

Edit: While getting all worked up over that post I forgot about lag and ping levels. In LFS I have quite a high ping level, since all the 'good' servers are in europe. So most of the time I can get away with small rubs and taps, sometimes a little contact sends me flying, or gives me some annoying little camber damage...In Australian servers I can run very closely to other Aussie drivers, and we usually swap paint alot in races with no damage or voyages to space or Mars even sometimes...
Yeah, I'm not totally anti-contact though. It's inevitable and you're quite right, it's unsafe to just jam the brakes on to avoid any little paint-swap. If someone's driving like a tool and we connect lightly I might even try some light barge-arse to wake them up but I won't use deliberate contact to pass someone or make some kind of point.

In RL you drive with regard to safety first and fairness second. In sim-racing, driver safety isn't a concern at all but unsafe driving can still ruin your car or someone else's. If you don't care what happens to your car, fine, but it's not cool to inflict your apathy on other people.
well i guess you should play NFS then
Quote from Hankstar :Anyone with half a clue cares about racing fairly

Just because I'm clueless, doesn't mean I don't want fair racing!

In all fairness, if you wanna drive like that, do so, just be prepared to accept the consequences, and people showing overall hate for you, because you're a mindless tossbag with no consideration for real racing rules.
Quote from XVII :
" Who the crap cares about honor in a racing game...."

Probably not people with stats such as:

Travelled distance: 0 Mi
Fuel burnt: 0 Ltr
Last race information: (date n/a)
Host:
Position: 0th out of 0, doing 0 laps
Time / best lap: 0:00.000 / 0:00.000 (0)
Track and car:
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :well i guess you should play NFS then

Racername: FReeDoM
Online at: [url="lfs://%7C%5BLTC%5D+Live+To+Cruise%7C0%7CS2%7C/"][LTC] Live To Cruise[/url]

Well you basically are....

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Just because I'm clueless, doesn't mean I don't want fair racing!

In all fairness, if you wanna drive like that, do so, just be prepared to accept the consequences, and people showing overall hate for you, because you're a mindless tossbag with no consideration for real racing rules.

You've totally miss understood.

BTW sorry for 2 posts
Anyone with the OP's mindset needs to be perma banned for the master server just to learn a bloody lesson.
Also @ Duck....I like racing against you but are beyond kart dirty. I truly hope that's not the general behaviour of Fusion guys.

IMO, racing to win regardless of cost is the lowest low a LFS racer can fall to.
Majority of time you end up ruining your race, and whats worse, someone elses.
As someone said earlier, if you are fast enough to catch up with me with ease, you better be able to pass clean. Otherwise your "skill" ain't worth poop, IMO.

Bumps happen and sometimes can not be avoided, however any type of intentional rubbing and side swiping needs to be dealt with much harsher then it is now.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me though.
From my experience, the harder the car is to drive (LX, RAC for example) the cleaner and better the races are. Are people too confident in the GTR's and TBO's that they take bumping lightly?

I guess theres more then one reason why I love racing LX.
to the OP:
Dude you can be that way if you want to, but be prepared to play a lot of demo or single player. Besides, racing...lol "racing" like that would get boring really quick. Think about it. Where would the challenge be if you used somebody's car as a buffer when going thru a corner? Where's the value of winning when all you did was manage to not get hit for five laps? for that matter if we all wanted to do that, we really wouldn't need anything more than a keyboard to play.

I agree at the end of the day that it's only a game and a few people take it waaay too serious, but I would rather race with them than have to worry about being slammed by a guy that used people as bumper cushions because they lacked the ability to downshift and brake properly.

actually IMO, the best racing is where there is alot of close racing and a little bumping here and there just adds to the fun, but still, that's a whole lot different than what you're wanting to do
Quote from XVII :I mean come on, who cares if someone bumps into you or nudges you (obviously someone who is intentionally trying to just hit other people with their car is a problem)

But from seeing everything on this board...YOU GUYS ARE WAY TOO UPTIGHT ABOUT MAKING SURE YOU DON'T TAP SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR!

Whatever happened to just having fun with racing? Doing this freaking honor system thing is ridiculous! You guys could have a lot of fun if you let down on some of the "standards" of "honor" driving. I say whoever gets first they do whatever it takes to get first. That is the most important part of the race, GETTING FIRST PLACE! That is the whole premises of racing in general!! The glory of winning the race. If someone sideswipes you and they get ahead of you...you should have seen them coming and gotten ready.

Defensive driving yeah, but a little offense would relieve some stress in the race.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and disagreed to wazoo...I don't really care. Just something for you guys to think about.

Very few people (if any) are completely against contact. I don't think that you understand the argument for clean racing.

Close racing is one thing. Reckless driving is completely different.
Quote from XVII :
I say whoever gets first they do whatever it takes to get first.

Uhm... no thanks. I don't think about sports in such a lousy way.
#16 - halo
This topic is a way to be a popular figure in this forum?
or what?

Quote from XVII : Who the crap cares about honor in a racing GAME, JUST DRIVE!

Quote from XVII :I mean come on, who cares if someone bumps into you or nudges you (obviously someone who is intentionally trying to just hit other people with their car is a problem)

Sorry to disappoint you but I won't EVEN start to consider your opinion. Pure racing is meant to be honourable, if you don't think it is, then I sure hope I don't race against you in LFS. I agree, some people can be a bit too serious about sim racing but being just serious is fine and just.
Banned from [DSR] Server. Just because I hate trolls.
Quote from [DUcK] :Racername: FReeDoM
Online at: [url="lfs://%7C%5BLTC%5D+Live+To+Cruise%7C0%7CS2%7C/"][LTC] Live To Cruise[/url]

Well you basically are....

oh so you do hardcore racing evrytime you get on LFS

cruising server are designed for relaxing..
i went to CTRA Race 1 server five mins later..
#20 - Jakg
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :thats what lfs is.some ppl use helmets like jakg i think.

...?

What does my helmet have to do with anything...?
Quote from XVII :If someone sideswipes you and they get ahead of you...you should have seen them coming and gotten ready.

I'm in this for the fun and the skill of racing, not for the fun of someone winning because they didn't brake coming into a corner
Although I do disagree with the troll... or OP on fairness in sim racing, I would like to see football matches where there are no rules and where the players will do anything to win!
Quote from Jertje :
I would like to see football matches where there are no rules and where the players will do anything to win!

I don't need it. Having rules and players already doing anything to win suffices.

Kudos to DSR guys. It's a pleasure to see they still deliver.
Quote from Jertje : I would like to see football matches where there are no rules and where the players will do anything to win!

Sounds more like FlatOut2 to me
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :oh so you do hardcore racing evrytime you get on LFS

cruising server are designed for relaxing..
i went to CTRA Race 1 server five mins later..

Fair enough then. Sorry.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG