The online racing simulator
XFG - is that realistic?
(59 posts, started )
XFG - is that realistic?
I was thinking about the XFG's 1.4 litre engine. 115 HP, that's a pretty aggressiv hp/litre ratio, but I'm sure it's not a big problem to achieve this, although I can't think of any 1.4 street car with so much power.
Anyway, the thing I doubt is that - with such an engine character - the redline would be this far away from the peak-power, resp. vice versa.
With the XFG you therefore could place the max torque even further up the rev-band (camshaft? here's where my engineering skills end...), resulting in much more than the 115 hp at 7500 or 8000 rpm - and the red line is still far away enough to pull to the ideal shift-point.
I say: NO! Something must be wrong here. I mean, it would be nice if it was this way in RL, but I doubt it is.

I mean, the XFG's powercurve/redline relation resembles more a big-block engine which is practically un-blow-able, as you never need the revs anyway.

I'd expect a 1.4 litre with 115 hp to have its peak-power just some revs before (if not even on) the redline - forcing you to shift earlier than what might be best for acceleration unless you want to risk engine damage. That, of course, would make the XFG a bit slower.

What do you think? Am I completely off the track. If so, someone bumped me... maybe becaus of lag ;-))))).

Don't get me wrong: It doesn't spoil the fun that much - I just think it's not too realistic.
LFS Cars all have a pretty much amazing power/displacement ratio.
Even the XRG has 140hp from 1.8 Litre. Now that might not sound that much, but only for today's standards.
The only production, non-track specific car that has a similar ratio is the Vauxhall/Opel/Saturn/Whatsoever Astra 1.8.

The XFG is just amazing, it pulls over 10k revs... a bit unrealistic IMO.
You're probably not the only one who feels that way. In fact, I'm sure it's been brought up before. I'm not a car mechanic or an engineer though, so I can't say if it would be possible to achieve this. Surely your average 1.4l engine car doesn't have that much power and can't reach those rpm's, but maybe with a little engine tuning it's possible. Nobody said the roadcars in LFS are standard "out of the box" roadcars, they've probably been tuned and tweaked a little ;-)
Obviously its possible to get these figures out of a 1.4. But whether theyre realistic for a standard road car is a little different.

Anyone whos tried to rev a ~1.4L L4 to 10k will tell you its pretty unreasonable, and not only sue to the limiter, valve bounce wil occur before then in most road cars.
Quote from Fabri91 :Even the XRG has 140hp from 1.8 Litre. Now that might not sound that much, but only for today's standards.
The only production, non-track specific car that has a similar ratio is the Vauxhall/Opel/Saturn/Whatsoever Astra 1.8.

140 bhp out of 1.8 doesn't sound too bad. I mean out of a NA 1.8 you can get 190 bhp on a 'sports model' on a normal road car.
Who rev's the XFG to 10k? I barely hit 8k normally if your talking in downshift made thats another matter...

A 70's era 1.2L corrolla motor with only a little port work, blue printing and lightening of the valve train used to be a very revy little motor

But I agree somewhat with the OP about acceleration being a little too good for this type of road car, but I've always put that down to no driveline and clutch losses that you would get in real life plus the fact that alot used locked diff in LFS
The older 1.8 16V Clio's kicked out 137 from the factory, so 140 isn't all that much if you ask me.

The XFG on the other hand well yeah I'm not sure of any standard road car with 115 with a little 1.4 lump, If there was such a car I'm sure I would of owned it at some point

Revving 10K isn't difficult, but its going to require some decent tuning and a hefty bit of engine work/parts.
#8 - word.
Yeah I always thought that the 0-60mph / 0-100km/h times were very fast for these road cars. They do have racing tyres.. but still..
my car in real life is a 1.4i 16v no idea what bhp it is, but it only revs to 9 and the limiter stops it at 7.5, its a honda engine so its made to take abuse, the car itself is pokey as shit straight upto 70 and will carry on to around 110-120, 120 would be flat out tho, it has no power untill around 3.5 4k and once it hits that mark its off and has the power to just keep pullin, i raced my mate in his bmw 316e36 rollin start in 2nd at around 30-35 so we were both in the power curve, he couldnt leave me at all, i was glued to him, he pulled over to let me past and i couldnt overtake but he wernt leavin me, now hes in a bmw wich is a entry level performance car in its own right and im in a rover, a big heavy family car wich cost me 100 quid, cars can surprise you in rl so there shouldnt be any exceptions in a game
#10 - DeKo
Quote from p5srono :my car in real life is a 1.4i 16v no idea what bhp it is, but it only revs to 9 and the limiter stops it at 7.5, its a honda engine so its made to take abuse, the car itself is pokey as shit straight upto 70 and will carry on to around 110-120, 120 would be flat out tho, it has no power untill around 3.5 4k and once it hits that mark its off and has the power to just keep pullin, i raced my mate in his bmw 316e36 rollin start in 2nd at around 30-35 so we were both in the power curve, he couldnt leave me at all, i was glued to him, he pulled over to let me past and i couldnt overtake but he wernt leavin me, now hes in a bmw wich is a entry level performance car in its own right and im in a rover, a big heavy family car wich cost me 100 quid, cars can surprise you in rl so there shouldnt be any exceptions in a game

Vtec kickin in y0!!
What I find even more amazing is how you get 490bhp out of a 2.0 litre turbocharged inline 4.
Quote from AndroidXP :What I find even more amazing is how you get 490bhp out of a 2.0 litre turbocharged inline 4.

I wish they changed that. It's a bit too amazing.
The XFGs 1.3(i must add lol) must be tuned of have some fancy,none stock parts in it.the biggest horsepowered standard 1.4 that iv seen comes from a rover 200/25(?) 1.4 NA 16v it has 102bhp

Most 1.4s here in the UK have between 70ish and 90 bhp, iv been looking around for a good lil 1.4 first car lol i cant find any dealers for the XFG, you guys got ne?

edit try www.wisebuyers.co.uk for lotsa good info on a whole range of cars.

there it is http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/mo ... 0+%281995-00%29/RO001337/
Quote from AndroidXP :What I find even more amazing is how you get 490bhp out of a 2.0 litre turbocharged inline 4.

You know Rallyracing cars? Most are WRC cars without the restrictions and then some more fintetuning. They are going into the 600bhp these days, also 2000cc inline 4's.

It's amazing what you can do with turbo's.

And 140 BHP out of an 1.8 is nothing special I would think. My Alfa Romeo 33 has an 1.7 with 135 bhp stock and you can make it do alot more quite simply.
Quote from imprezzer :You know Rallyracing cars? Most are WRC cars without the restrictions and then some more fintetuning. They are going into the 600bhp these days, also 2000cc inline 4's.

No WRC cars produce around 300-350bhp, doesn't mean anything though because it is the traction that's important.

500 bhp out of a 2 litre 4 pot isn't really unrealistic, the theoretical limit for a turbocharged engine is very high. The issue is always going to be reliability of components that are pushed so hard, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect an endurance engine to be able to produce that kind of power, the Sierras were producing significantly more 20 years ago
My wife had a 1.8 litre in a 99 Mazda Mx-5 Miata that had exactly 140bhp, so it is extremely believable. As for what is possible in the racing world, there was a turbo charged 1.5 liter in the 1980s that put out nearly 1000hp...I would have to do a little digging on which car/team, but I know I have seen several F1 documentaries that highlighted it. Reportedly quite the monster to drive due to turbo lag.
#18 - DeKo
b-rad, that was the renault F1 turbo car.
XFG doesn't seem too unrealistic. I have a 106 1.4 which puts out 75bhp. The multiport version of my engine from Pug outs out almost 100bhp, and revs higher. I'm not aware of many other road-designed 1.4's with over 100bhp though, Rover K-series maybe?
Renault and BMW 1.5 litre turbocharged F1 engines were both reputed to produce around 1500bhp (although a figure of 1350-1400 is probably more realistic according to some material I've read) from 1.5 litre turbocharged engines in qualifying trim in the mid '80s. In race trim roughly 1000bhp was about the limit. The BMW used a production engine block.
I think the important thing to remember is, whe would tune up a 1.3 litre engine anyway? If you want to make a sporty car, you'd want to make things easier for yourself by starting with an engine that had a little more capacity in the first place. I'd imagine a 1.6 would fit in the virtual bonnet of the XFG fine, at which point 115bhp would be nothing special at all.

Regarding the engines spinning so fast, I cannot fathom why this hasn't been rectified. It the LFS car data there is a value for the rev limiter which doesn't affect power at all. So it's easily fixed although I'd imagine it would need to be in an incompatible patch all the same. Point being though, the torque curve isn't actually affected, so there's no worry about unbalancing cars. The LXs on the other hand need engines that just rev lower full stop.
Remember it had its power boosted to compete with GT so 115bhp wasn't in the original plan. The 106 rallye series 1 had 100bhp and that was also a fizzy 1.3. I've said it plenty, but if that wasn't part or major part of the inspiration for the GTi I'd be surprised.

The old BTCC Sierra RS500's ran 500+bhp

I like the fact the XFG revs stupidly high. But not everyone likes a I4 spinning at 10,000rpm
Quote from ajp71 :No WRC cars produce around 300-350bhp, doesn't mean anything though because it is the traction that's important.

I think he means modern Rallycross cars. They use unrestricted versions of the WRC (which aren't allowed to go over 300hp) or WTCC/BTCC engines, normally exceeding 600hp
Quote from Bob Smith :The LXs on the other hand need engines that just rev lower full stop.

Yeah I love the LX6s screaming little racing engine but it isn't really like anything that exists.

XFG - is that realistic?
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG