The online racing simulator
Mafia 2 is Official + screens
(171 posts, started )
#51 - JTbo
GTA has better gameplay but Mafia has better athmosphere and it is bit more real, specially when you are at foot and shooting etc, that is what makes it also more difficult, imo.

If Mafia would be not as scripted it would be one of best games for sure, that is main thing that spoils some of it, imo.

GTA is better in that aspect.

It is bit like Freespace vs 'Xwing vs Tie fighter' games, so different that hard to compare, one is indeed like playing a movie and other is a great game

My computer struggles at times with Mafia and I don't have even full details on, I remember it was slide show when I did play that earlier so I guess it needs quite good rig. A64 3200+, Radeon X850XT and 1GB of ram seem not to be quite enough to keep it smooth all times, but luckily it won't be too much of problem.

I got into mission where you need to set bomb to an office, did install it yesterday, some missions seemed to be walk in the park when others require several attempts, sometimes it is bit of luck too.
I´m stuck at the hotel/brothel/whore mission. I just can´t fight off all the bodyguards. Maybe I suck at shooters who knows. Anyway any tricks or cheats available to get me through that one?
#53 - JTbo
Quote from Kalev EST :I´m stuck at the hotel/brothel/whore mission. I just can´t fight off all the bodyguards. Maybe I suck at shooters who knows. Anyway any tricks or cheats available to get me through that one?

Aim to head, use any shelter you can get and remember to crouch behind objects if possible, also collect weapons quickly, they disappear annoying fast.
Yay cant wait for this, Mafia was awsome now 2 woo hope its good
ive completed mafia 6-7 times, i cant wait for the nr.2!!
Quote from JTbo :1. My computer struggles at times with Mafia and I don't have even full details on, I remember it was slide show when I did play that earlier so I guess it needs quite good rig. A64 3200+, Radeon X850XT and 1GB of ram seem not to be quite enough to keep it smooth all times, but luckily it won't be too much of problem.

2. I got into mission where you need to set bomb to an office, did install it yesterday, some missions seemed to be walk in the park when others require several attempts, sometimes it is bit of luck too.

1. Yes, back when it first came out, people were complaining it needed a VERY good computer to play at full spec back then. I bought it a while after it was released (I didn't found out about it earlier), and I could play on full details, but just barely. When I installed complete mods I needed to tune down the details. Now on my new-ish computer I can go full detail, even with mods installed.

2. That was a second complaint/notice from most people. The fact some missions were extremely hard and almost not do-able, while some others weren't difficult at all.

One of the first missions is a perfect example of that: you have to beat up the cars from the guys that trashed your car. I remembered that could become a hard mission when the guys got outside and started fighting you. So I prepared for the fight and kept looking at the door, when I replayed the game. But nothing happened...
#57 - JTbo
Quote from sgt.flippy :
One of the first missions is a perfect example of that: you have to beat up the cars from the guys that trashed your car. I remembered that could become a hard mission when the guys got outside and started fighting you. So I prepared for the fight and kept looking at the door, when I replayed the game. But nothing happened...

You need to do it in proper order/manner, go past gateway and park car behind fence, there is small alley that leads to backdoor of carlot, take baseball bat and hit guard with full power, make sure cops won't see that, then smash two of cars, leave one close to small back door for last and don't use bat on that, but go to backdoor that leads to alley and throw molotow to car, then run to alley and escape with car, nobody should even follow as there is earth shattering kaboom as car explodes taking out all guys coming from building

There is fail proof method for most of missions, some fighting scenes of course have some variance, but just remember to hit and run when fighting and use all shelter/cover you can find and those should not be a problem if you remember to aim and with bat/fists keep distance from enemy.
Actually last time I played that mission I used the bat on every car to beat it up, and nobody came outside (I know about the back alley, ha, is there any other way then? :razz
Quote from Taavi(EST) :Now if only Max Payne 3 was officially announced with some screens, I'd be wetting all over my pillow.

Who needs Max Payne anymore when there's Alan Wake

Quote from sgt.flippy :GTA 3 was special because it was the first 3D GTA, but that's about it. Whenever I play GTA again now I think... Wow, this is utter crap. While I'm still happy playing mafia.

I think that's very well said I've also always thought Mafia as much better game than GTA3. Better storyline, better cops, city had more real life feeling, better atmosphere etc. I'd say for me GTA3 was a good game until Mafia was released. It was a pity that Mafia got delayed 6-12 months as far as I remember... so GTA3 got the chance to be the first "3D action game with large playable city area" kind of game. Like you mentioned, before that there was at least Driver and also Midtown Madness but those were only driving games and the cities were really dead in those.

I'm glad that GTA is finally getting rid off that "cartoonish" style of gameplay and moving closer to more realistic theme in GTA IV.

Quote from Kalev EST :I´m stuck at the hotel/brothel/whore mission. I just can´t fight off all the bodyguards. Maybe I suck at shooters who knows. Anyway any tricks or cheats available to get me through that one?

maybe walkthrough helps
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/371671/49681

Quote from JTbo :Aim to head, use any shelter you can get and remember to crouch behind objects if possible, also collect weapons quickly, they disappear annoying fast.

Disappearing weapons?
#60 - JTbo
Quote from sgt.flippy :Actually last time I played that mission I used the bat on every car to beat it up, and nobody came outside (I know about the back alley, ha, is there any other way then? :razz

Can't remember that I had ever tested but driving from front over guard and stopping car to front of door so that those gangsters can't get out might work out to some extent.

@deggis, yes when I shoot a guy, I need to collect weapon real quick or it disappears, annoying in big fights where you shoot guy but can't go and collect his gun as there is other guys still shooting
somehow I mostly miss the Bank Robbery mission, and the scene where Sam drives a white luxury car down the airport runway, while you and Paulie shoot the taking off plane's engines...
that was massive!
but all the missions were quite interesting...
Quote from JTbo :@deggis, yes when I shoot a guy, I need to collect weapon real quick or it disappears, annoying in big fights where you shoot guy but can't go and collect his gun as there is other guys still shooting

I can't remember that kind of bug. Maybe that's a gfx clitch or someting?

I bet you could drop a weapon, drive to the other side of the town and come back and the weapon would be still there where you left it... one of those things that sucked in 3D GTA games so far (outgh to be changed in GTA IV, no PS2 limitations anymore ) that if you left a car and came back 1 min later, if was gone. In Mafia the cars stayed there surprisingly long... usually not across different mission chapters but anyway.

Quote from squidhead :and the scene where Sam drives a white luxury car down the airport runway, while you and Paulie shoot the taking off plane's engines...
that was massive!
but all the missions were quite interesting...

That mission has alternative ending too. Sometimes (I guess randomly?) the car chase does not end at the airport - instead it continues for some time in the countryside and it ends at some bridge under construction...
i dont think i will be able to play it cause my grahic card : 128 mb
#64 - JTbo
Quote from TyresHot :i dont think i will be able to play it cause my grahic card : 128 mb

Your card can be good or shite with 128mb of ram, that does not tell much from it, but of course fast cards today are packed with 256mb or more, not that that amount of ram is necessarily to be used for any good. Perhaps most misjudged thing with pc performance is performance gain from amount of graphics memory.
Quote from JTbo :Your card can be good or shite with 128mb of ram, that does not tell much from it, but of course fast cards today are packed with 256mb or more, not that that amount of ram is necessarily to be used for any good. Perhaps most misjudged thing with pc performance is performance gain from amount of graphics memory.

my card is a shit dude,its cpu and memory speed is bad.i have a 1 gb of ram and a 1md 2800 CPU,maybe they companse it and i can plat it with bad graphics.This game is out too late and i guess it has great graphics.
the Story line Saddens me a little, because you get to Like Paulie especially, Sam was always a weirdo but, Paulie was a legend, then he dies :<
Quote from BlueFlame :the Story line Saddens me a little, because you get to Like Paulie especially, Sam was always a weirdo but, Paulie was a legend, then he dies :<

Very few games have given me such "empty" feeling after finishing the game, similar feeling you often get with movies with sad ending.
Quote from deggis :Very few games have given me such "empty" feeling after finishing the game, similar feeling you often get with movies with sad ending.

yes... this is true...
It didnt feel right playing the freeride extreme mode knowing that Tommy was killed

the scene where you find Paulie dead was really intense for me... I was going "oh sh*t,oh sh*t, oh sh*t" all the time... and seeing the police coming up while I was going down made me really nervous...
overall - I believe that you merge with the main character in MAFIA way more that in any other game
Quote from squidhead :yes... this is true...
It didnt feel right playing the freeride extreme mode knowing that Tommy was killed

I never really played the freeride extreme mode. I always loved the reality in the Mafia game, I just couldn't start playing the extreme mode because I knew I'd hate it.

Quote from kiss me :i'm happy i bought the first version, but mafia 2!! i knew it earlier(1 week ago) but it looks awesome doesnt it!!
alltho,
http://www.2kgames.com/mafia2/screenshots/03_x.jpg
look at those headlight, kinda squarish no?

I don't really care how the cars look like. They look nice enough to me anyway. We'll see when it comes out, I'll be buying it for sure!
ill be buying it olso, i mean... MAFIA 2 ftw!!
does any1 has a full completed 'account' for mafia 1?
where you can go to airport and such?
pm me plz
:weeping: My Mafia 1 doesnt work!, damn cd 2 it's all busted the others are fine but number two... It's all scratched
Quote from kiss me :i'm happy i bought the first version, but mafia 2!! i knew it earlier(1 week ago) but it looks awesome doesnt it!!
alltho,
http://www.2kgames.com/mafia2/screenshots/03_x.jpg
look at those headlight, kinda squarish no?

that's called still in development, but it looks waaay better then the first (offcourse:razz, but the screenie in the street with all the cars and people just looks so :wowjust noticed, look at the tank-truck at the back! :O )http://www.gamershell.com/pc/mafia_2/screenshots.html?id=5
just noticed another thiing , i think it's the beginning of WW2 cause look right top u see what are IMO bombers.

Mafia 2 is Official + screens
(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG