AF 50 (75mm*)
Minimum distance: 45cm
Maximum aperture: f/1.7 (love it!)
Focusing speed**: 590ms (45cm to ∞)

AF 35-105 (52.5-57.5mm*)
Minimum distance: 150cm
Maximum aperture: f/3.5
Focusing speed**: 480ms (150cm to ∞)
Sadly someone dropped it (and the Dynax 7000i it was mounted on, which didn't survive) and bent the thread.

AF 70-210 (105-315mm*)
Minimum distance: 110cm
Maximum aperture: f/4
Focusing speed**: 990ms (110cm to ∞)
Same person who dropped the previous one also dropped this one, smashing the focus indicator glas cover.

* Due to the sensor's crop factor of 1.5.
** Driven by the body's AF motor at maximum speed.
Attached images
_DSC4752.jpg
_DSC4775.jpg
_DSC4777.jpg
_DSC4787.jpg
Morpha, if you can get it I highly recommend the Minolta 50mm AF macro lens. My mom has it for her Maxxum 7000i and it's a stunning piece of glass.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I'd buy the cheapest possible camera that has the build/quality features that I want, and one of those features would be the best reverse lens compatibility possible.

Given our premise is basically older, used lenses.. we could follow this to its logical conclusion.
Gharr new crap ahoy!
Spinoff from the earlier shoot. Or the synth shots were spinoff from this one.

Oh well, she loved this one and ordered a 70 cm x 100 cm print so who am I to judge.

Have to fix the glow in her hand first as we had too much baby-oil going around.
Very nice again, Mikko.

Love the postprocessing. Has a sort of "pushed" film look.

edit: hope you caught that dust spot on the wall before she got the print made, though. :o
Quote from spankmeyer :*pic*

Like the colours and the noise is a nice touch. Don't like the imperfect nail polish, although it probably fits her style.
Personally I would probably have chosen a different angle to include the Shisha in the composition
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Mostly just that every one of them I've ever tried was a steaming pile of shit. I know they have a few decent models, but of the ones I've had a chance to use... eeesh.

for example: http://www.digitalcamera-hq.co ... v1273-review_roundup.html

For some sick reason my wife and mother-in-law love Kodak Point & Shoots.

There are three in my house. I can't stand them, every thing is just awkward and subpar.
Tried out the bulb mode on my Pentax K-M. I have no tripod yet, nor do i have remote control, so the result isn't very good. I have no idea why i left my front light on. Held the button for ~40seconds (maybe less). It's 2AM here.
Attached images
testing 005_1L.jpg
Hand-held? If so, that's pretty damn good.
I wish, the camera was on a table.
Since I also don't have a remote yet, I never even tried a conventional shot in bulb mode, I just use very slow shutter speeds (up to 30 seconds).
I did do some bulb-mode experiments though.
On the first two, I had quite a lot of dust on the sensor as you can see

A lamp in my room.

A streetlight.

The moon

An airplane.

A cigarette.

And for good measure, a funny one. Mr. Flat Pacman:
Attached images
_DSC2584.jpg
_DSC2256.jpg
_DSC3189.jpg
_DSC3183.jpg
_DSC2266.jpg
_DSC2228.jpg
@morpha
from names of files I see u're using sony with adobe rgb color profile.
do you use any special software to preview those photos? or you have same profile in your monitor settings?
I can't set it right to have good picture with this profile.
Quote from diNOSaur :@morpha
from names of files I see u're using sony with adobe rgb color profile.
do you use any special software to preview those photos? or you have same profile in your monitor settings?
I can't set it right to have good picture with this profile.

You're right. For the curious ones: the Sony alphas prefix filenames with a single underscore if the Adobe RGB profile is used

I'm using Windows 7's Windows Photo Viewer with Photoshop installed, of which the Photo Viewer seems to make use as it displays Adobe RGB images correctly while IrfanView doesn't. Attached is a comparison showing Windows Photo Viewer on the left and IrfanView on the right. Depending on what you're displaying it on, it might automatically be converted to sRGB rendering both sides indentical. Though if your monitor and software support it, you will notice the left side has punchier colours and better contrast as a result of it. Adobe RGB is definitely the better choice in my experience

PS: Pay attention to the rear lights and the black parts.
PPS: Yes, it's a Matchbox Milka car.
Attached images
colour_profile_comparison.jpg
Just saw Kubrick's Barry Lyndon for the first time, and of course immediately went to wikipedia to read up on it. Check this out:

Quote :Kubrick was "determined not to reproduce the set-bound, artificially lit look of other costume dramas from that time." After "tinker[ing] with different combinations of lenses and film stock," the production got hold of three "super-fast 50mm" f/0.70 lenses "developed by Zeiss for use by NASA in the Apollo moon landings," which Kubrick had discovered in his search for low-light solutions. These super-fast lenses "[w]ith their huge aperture [the film actually features the largest lens aperture in film history] and fixed focal length" were problematic to mount, but allowed Kubrick and Alcott to shoot scenes lit with actual candles to an average lighting volume of only three candlepower, "recreating the huddle and glow of a pre-electrical age." In addition, "the actors... were under instruction to move as slowly as possible to avoid underexposure."

Pretty remarkable.

Anyone know where I can get one of those 50mm f/0.7 lenses?

More info here: http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/ac/len/page1.htm
Great as usual, Don. The cigarette shot is hilarious.
I'd say that's your best rally set so far. The tight-ish crop of the steaming front tyre/brakes is gorgeous.
PhotoN00b here with a few more questions. I've been looking at lenses:

1) Minimum Focus/Working distance - I understand that the minimum focus distance is the distance from the subject to the image/sensor (whatever) plane, and the minimum working distance is from the subject to the front of the lens.. Is that right?

2) The minimum focus distance... does this change depending on whether the Macro setting/functions/whatever is/are on or off?

<insert strange question below>

3) If I were to take a picture of a lego man from the minimum focus distance of a sorta bog standard zoom lens (say the distance is 0.4m), with the right settings dialled in, would this provide sufficient depth to the picture? When I say sufficient depth, I mean: would you be able to make it look like the picture was taken by say, a lego photographer standing within about 2-3m of the lego man if you see what I mean?

I know a macro lens would probably be better, but I could do without spending £400 or smn on one, and I know this question is an epically specific piece of fail... but if you could give me an idea, i'd be grateful :-P
You managed to shut 'em all up!
Quote from JO53PHS :PhotoN00b here with a few more questions. I've been looking at lenses:

1) Minimum Focus/Working distance - I understand that the minimum focus distance is the distance from the subject to the image/sensor (whatever) plane, and the minimum working distance is from the subject to the front of the lens.. Is that right?

2) The minimum focus distance... does this change depending on whether the Macro setting/functions/whatever is/are on or off?

<insert strange question below>

3) If I were to take a picture of a lego man from the minimum focus distance of a sorta bog standard zoom lens (say the distance is 0.4m), with the right settings dialled in, would this provide sufficient depth to the picture? When I say sufficient depth, I mean: would you be able to make it look like the picture was taken by say, a lego photographer standing within about 2-3m of the lego man if you see what I mean?

I know a macro lens would probably be better, but I could do without spending £400 or smn on one, and I know this question is an epically specific piece of fail... but if you could give me an idea, i'd be grateful :-P

Meh.. I don't have much knowledge on this, but the camera's working distance is measured from the lens flange to the film plane. It's the area that the mirror (on SLR cameras) and the shutter mechanism (aka curtain) on film cameras occupy.

The minimum focusing distance, as far as I know, is the minimum distance from the subject to the front of the lens.

As for whether your camera will do it, if you set it up for a long exposure and set the aperture to minimum (f/22 or whatever it is) you might be able to get close to macro focusing. True macro is 1:1 or greater ratio, where a photo of a fly is at least as big on the film/sensor as it is in real life. A lot of cameras have macro modes that aren't true macro. Suck it and see
Quote from oli17 :omg YES! how did you know!?!?

Heh - I go on holiday there alot

And you can tell by the groynes and the concrete barriers next to the prom
yeah, it was great fun, went a couple of years ago.

hehe, groynes

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG