The online racing simulator
Bump and Jump
(116 posts, started )
Hehe, I beat Celtic and Zuggy three times yesterday
Proves that those at the top either get there just by spending more time in the server, or weren't having lucky days yesterday

The only record I've ever had was on WobblyOval, something to do with being at the front of the grid for all 25 races there but Poolek nicked it a few days afterwards

Sam
I am by no means the fastest racer ontrack and my position is partly down to track time, the Fast Drivers I consider are Poolek and Kalev that regularly frequent the B and J, But then you have racers like Sparky Dave, The Moose and Swiss Tony plus others that rarely join, my aim would be to be as fast as them on any combo oneday.

But with 98 wins and a win rate of 23% with a Podium Rate of 45% I'm not doing too bad so far on B and J

Anyway Sam I am enjoying racing with you guys and girls and even I have made a few mistakes as in missing my braking point from time to time so I will apologise if I have spoiled a few races for you all as I do try to race clean.

What I will say though is that any racer that is seen to take me out deliberately on purpose can be expected to be spun out sooner or later as stated in the rules (Not Wrecked) and backmarkers If deliberately blocking the lead group can expect the same treatment, I do try to use this tactic minimaly as I understand even the backmarkers are there to have fun also.

PS. I only Found LFS on the 10/02/07 so not bad for a career thats only 5 or so months old.

It's certainly a good record, Celtic the Fastest Lap Ratio is the only thing I can get anywhere close to you on (mine's 14%, yours I guess is 23% as you've got as many wins as fastest laps)
Quote :Anyway Sam I am enjoying racing with you guys and girls and even I have made a few mistakes as in missing my braking point from time to time so I will apologise if I have spoiled a few races for you all as I do try to race clean.

That's great to hear, me too and we all make mistakes from time to time - when they're geniunely accidental and you apologise, nobody's gonna hold it against you.
Quote :What I will say though is that any racer that is seen to take me out deliberately on purpose can be expected to be spun out sooner or later as stated in the rules (Not Wrecked) and backmarkers If deliberately blocking the lead group can expect the same treatment, I do try to use this tactic minimaly as I understand even the backmarkers are there to have fun also.

The philosophy I try to follow I can see we've got the same mind here if someone's getting pushy, particularly if they get past me by running me wide or what have you, they might find themselves facing the wrong way before long but I try to make it as gentle and scarce a situation as I can.

I've been an LFS addict since January this year, so.. Damn.. If you've got that much better a record than me, you're supposed to have been doing it for much longer!

Here's to a lot more good racing

EDIT 1652 - The X-System just went down in the BnJ server, and X-Monitor didn't catch it. No commands or automatic thingies working at all for a couple of minutes, then it started up again. Software problem?
EDIT 1653 - It's just posted up all the information on the X-System twice more, which looks to me like it keeps falling over again and again - but X-Mon is getting it going again now, I think

Sam
A question: Do you only lose points when you leave the pits or do you lose points in every race you start? Because I only get the "entry licence cost" message when I leave the pits.

And this would create a problem IMO. Tonight, there were only 5 or 6 people on the server so there werent much more than 10 points to be won even for a first place. So if you lose the points in every race it would make it rather useless for a higher licenced driver to race with so few people because he would end up with a loss either way regardless of his finishing position. That would be unfair IMO.
Quote from zeugnimod :A question: Do you only lose points when you leave the pits or do you lose points in every race you start? Because I only get the "entry licence cost" message when I leave the pits.

Any answers?
You only get points taken off when the message appears, which occurs when you leave the pits and not on race restart.
Ah, good, I dont have to be afraid to join a race with only 3 or 4 drivers then.
Points whore!!!
Its when u get minus points in small races thats shame, a 3 car race in B&J yesterday and i came last and got -10pts plus the -5 entrance fee,

That will teach me never to hit the ready button with only 3-4 drivers on the list after a track change.
You get minus points in B&J when some idiot raced to hit ready too soon, basically what happens is this:

The track changes, somebody hits ready and removes everyone else from the grid, HUGELY frustrating, and because it's untraceable the *%R*(£")'s even do it to me.

Then the software detects the restart, and sees 1 or 2 cars on the grid for the race.

Then myself and others join, legitimately, on the first lap or whilst the grid is forming.

We've just bypasses the system that detected how many cars where in the race.

So we finish below the number of cars in the race: ie: 4th out of 2...
That's the flaw, I suppose, in working out the points from the number of racers that started, rather than the number that finished - but if it wasn't like that, you wouldn't be rewarded for being the only person to finish out of a full grid...

Aha, what if the system worked out the points awarded from the highest number of racers to be on track during the race? So if, say, five drivers start the race, and then four more join during the first lap, and two finish, the winner would count as being first of nine - because he beat all nine cars that were driving at one point or another in the race.
This would solve the negative-points-because-of-start-list-removers problem, anyway. How does that sound to you, Becky?

It'd be nice if LFS showed a message every time someone clicks the expensive little '-' sign in the start list, too... "X removed X from the race" or something similar, so that the CTRA system can track people doing this.

Sam
Quote from Becky Rose :You get minus points in B&J when some idiot raced to hit ready too soon, basically what happens is this:

The track changes, somebody hits ready and removes everyone else from the grid, HUGELY frustrating, and because it's untraceable the *%R*(£")'s even do it to me.

Then the software detects the restart, and sees 1 or 2 cars on the grid for the race.

Then myself and others join, legitimately, on the first lap or whilst the grid is forming.

We've just bypasses the system that detected how many cars where in the race.

So we finish below the number of cars in the race: ie: 4th out of 2...

I see what is happening now thanks, ill just be more carefull next time we have a track change, but i dont seem to remember people getting taken off the starting lineup?
Ohh well it was only one race it has done it to me and its not like the points are hard to get back there
Quote from FOGlegsy :but i dont seem to remember people getting taken off the starting lineup?

It happens at almost every track change to me. I almost always have to join the race twice and lose 20 points. Some clown is always on the server.
Quote from zeugnimod :It happens at almost every track change to me. I almost always have to join the race twice and lose 20 points. Some clown is always on the server.

I suppose the easiest way would be not to enter the 1st race and wait for them to finish it before joining,

It would be nice if the - buttons could be disabled, leaving just your own.
#90 - SamH
Maybe I'm just feeling evil, but the day we can detect the mass removal of players on the race start/end screen, I'm saying nothing to anyone. I'm just gonna start short-term banning the culprits. I should stop quitting smoking, really!
This has happened to me on the race start screen too, i've seen a few people getting kicked off by what looks like the server. When it shuffles the layout and weather settings etc, if you've already joined the race it kicks you off and you need to rejoin. Its ok if you're just careful of this and wait for the system to load then join, if you're too quick itll shuffle you off...
Just thought I post a replay here to show how much more fun it is to NOT ram everything thats moving (as some people think this is how they should drive on the BJ server) but to race clean and close.

It was a nice close race with szyszek and Joachim over the whole 9 laps on WobblyOval (which is the shortest but IMO best track together with the Parkway layouts) and we didnt even touch once IIRC.

I just wish more people drove like that and dont confuse it with a banger server.
Attached files
szyszek joachim.mpr - 571.1 KB - 193 views
Yup, it's a lot more fun to try and race clean and have a car appear out of nowhere because of the insane layout than to have the chore of dodging a wrecker. Unfortunately the rules are already, in my opinion, pretty clear - the problem is people dont read them. At least, they have agreed to them so we can take action.
Quote from Becky Rose :Yup, it's a lot more fun to try and race clean and have a car appear out of nowhere because of the insane layout than to have the chore of dodging a wrecker. Unfortunately the rules are already, in my opinion, pretty clear - the problem is people dont read them. At least, they have agreed to them so we can take action.

Preciuos, the dont read them at all. Although I think the majority of racers are getting better and better. I dont see too many wreckers anymore. Just noobs but we all have to learn.
Thought I'd just post this here, rather than raise a new thread.....

Tonight on BnJ, we had an automated track change to Parkway Long set at 9 laps in the XRG. So, off we go. I happened to be in the lead come about Lap 6 or 7 and setting fastest laps when out of nowhere, the race ended, and the layout changed again to Pit of Despair.

There was no end race vote (one guy voted earlier, but there were several cars on track) and no server restart message or race restart message on screen. It just..... happened.

Any CTRA ppl shed some light on this mystery?? (Becky, you been tinkering agin? P.s. i still want my 50 free points from all those server restarts!! )
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but the auto-restart delay on Champagne is 180 seconds at the moment. Three minutes seems a little bit excessive when a race lasts four and a half, and a lap is less than thirty seconds any chance of this being shortened? It needn't be more than 45 seconds or so at Champagne.

Sam
Just an enquiry on the points system on B and J, now I'm Silver Roofed the points seem to be a little extreme to say the least (Becky your Evil).

On a full server with a win I can pick up around 25pts but on a half full server this can drop to about 16pts for a win.
The problem being entry fee has gone up from 10pts (on Red Roof) to an extortionate 25pts for a Silver Roofed Racer which means on some tracks the ones with Crossovers etc I can actually lose points very quickly if luck is not with me (Russian Roulette with cars anyone ?)

There was a time last night that I failed to finish 4 races on the trot losing me 100pts which I then had to claw back over the next 10 or so races just to end the night even.

PS. Is it possible to drop back to Red Roof Grade ? :lol:

This is just my first impression on this but it seems it may be a very slow process to GOLD.
Hey guys, bit of a flaw, I'm the only one on atm and I can't join, and neither can anyone else who connects, it keeps saying '<name> left the pits' then <name> disconnected

DK
Quote from Celtic :Is it possible to drop back to Red Roof Grade

Very much so, I know this because I made the mistake of leaving just after I got to Red Roof - the result being that the 10 points it cost me to re-enter dropped me back to Blue

Congratulations on being the first to get Silver, though.

But 25 points sounds vicious for an entry fee >.< you'll just have to be bloody careful, and make sure you can get a lot of races out of each entry. And don't swear I can just imagine the frustration of joining right before a track change on Silver Roof, though...

Sam
Thanks Sam

I Did get to 12410 pts but racing for 20 minutes last night - I joined Track Figuratively to have it end on next restart -25 pts "DOH", next track Tudor Rose entered twice both times wrecked within 2 laps -50 pts left with Samh and Jakg and went to SS1 so I'm now -75 pts on 12335 pts at this rate I will receive a letter off the Queen before I get to Gold Roll on my 100th Birthday

Becky you may need a tweek the system as some tracks like Tudor Rose and the pit are now a no go as far as points are concerned.

Bump and Jump
(116 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG