The online racing simulator
Bump and Jump
(116 posts, started )
ROFL at you two

Thanks to Shotglass, I had quite an easy win the other night on the B&J server. See, I started next to last position and he started last. Race starts, there's Shot in my mirror... brake... here comes shot.... I'm moving over some.... vrrrroooOOOOMMM... There goes Shot! Oh look! He took out the entire field!!! There I go putting on by .

I had no idea you were such a wrecker, Shotglass!
Quote from mrodgers :Thanks to Shotglass, I had quite an easy win the other night on the B&J server. See, I started next to last position and he started last. Race starts, there's Shot in my mirror... brake... here comes shot.... I'm moving over some.... vrrrroooOOOOMMM... There goes Shot! Oh look! He took out the entire field!!! There I go putting on by .

did you really have to post this on a thread becky reads ?

Quote :I had no idea you were such a wrecker, Shotglass!

neither did i
i kinda thought the braking point would be a bit further down the track from a standing start ... turns out i was wrong
appologies to all those that i took out by driving like a blithering idiot that race

Quote from Dajmin :If anyone wants to PM me with suggestions of how to survive the damn jumps, please feel free (suspension settings aren't an issue, it's just the random catapulting that I'm suffering from)! Look forward to getting back on the servers soon

best way ive found is to try to not get a wheel between two ramps
Ahh... hahahahaha...
Anyway.

Quote :If anyone wants to PM me with suggestions of how to survive the damn jumps, please feel free (suspension settings aren't an issue, it's just the random catapulting that I'm suffering from)!

Might as well post it here
Some of the ramps have red/white barriers right underneath them, and I guess that's what's causing your problem! Sometimes they can catch you and throw you, but if you're going quickly enough it shouldn't be a problem. There's some interesting advice - to survive, go faster
If you're still having trouble, it could be connection lag screwing up the collision detection - and I'm afraid I can't really advise anything for that other than making sure that LFS has a free rein over your bandwidth.

Sam
Quote from Dajmin :If anyone wants to PM me with suggestions of how to survive the damn jumps, please feel free

I think the main problem here is the ramps are too far apart - it is possible to get them almost touching, which solves nearly all the random glitches (hint hint ... )

It seems to be more of a problem with the LX4 than the heavier cars like RB4 and XRG that seem to be able to shug them off a bit easier.

To make your life easier over the ramps, take them steadily and as straight as you can.

BTW, loving the B&J server and good work with the new system
Thanks for the tips. I figured it would be the edges of the ramps causing the issues, but I never thought of the barriers underneath.
I watched a few races last night (XRG = great fun) before joining to see how other people were approaching them, and I think as long as you hit them straight you're okay. But contrary to what Dark Elite said I think slower is generally better - that way if lag causes the server to think you passed through the ramp rather than over it, you're less likely to have reached the barrier before gaining the height.

I even won my first B&J race shortly after, then reached Yellow Roof rank, so I must have been doing something right! Really enjoying the new servers, and B&J is just nuts
Quote from Dajmin :But contrary to what Dark Elite said I think slower is generally better - that way if lag causes the server to think you passed through the ramp rather than over it, you're less likely to have reached the barrier before gaining the height.

True, but for me it seems that if I'm going quickly enough, a lag hit can't place me into the barrier. I think that must be my connection showing to work well, in that the lag I get would only be very small, ie placing me in the barrier momentarily, as opposed to a large lag problem, such as going through the entire ramp as you describe! Maybe there's no definitive answer to this, but I take them pretty fast and I can't remember getting caught by a barrier.

Good to hear you're getting into it now, with it costing you three points just to enter, you've gotta keep winning races

EDIT - Becky, is there some reason we're getting very long races at the moment? Nine laps of Parkway RallyX is a bit excessive... Don't get me wrong, I love the LX-4, but I like being able to have more than two races a day
EDIT again - It's just automatically changed to three - first-race problems? The track before was on 4, so I'm not sure where it got 9 from..

Sam
I have a small remark on the B&J server.
The purpose is some rough, bumpy & jumpy but also clean and great racing. Now I have driven 3 lay outs in the B&J server with several cars and I must say, fun layouts!

But... the layouts do not match the goal of B&J I think, it is too random. You get crashed right away if you're playing with or some intentional wreckers in disguise, or with new racers or well, even with good, clean racers you get so much randomned crashes which a bit spoil the fun.

So I'm wondering, from what I know there is 1 out of those 3 tracks who don't have that random factor (narrowed road, T junction, no coins between both sides,..), from where those tracks with that huge random factor ?

GC
Some of the B&J tracks are just great, excellent competitive racing. Others I think are just a wreckfest, like the rosette one where paths keep crossing in the middle. You just end up with a big pile of wrecks in the middle and racing to gain points or even finish one clean lap becomes itself pointless.
Now this may work when there's 4 or 5 mates racing in a private sess together, but opened up to the public and 12 to 16 racers, it's carnage. In my view, this track should be retired.
If there was one thing I would change that applies to the B and J server would be to set track rotation to every half hour or 10 or 15 races which would enable you to race most of if not all tracks in a single evening or sitting.

I found last night 25 races of Parkway a little tedious, I only managed to get Everyone to end race when I spammed "I want Jumps" and low and behold within 30 sec we were changing to Figuratively

Better that than race another 10 races for another hour.

So I am requesting the track change for B and J be reduced please Becky
I agree with you there Celtic. I had 2.5 hours on one track the other night and couldn't get enough people to hit the end race.

was something like 48 races! I didnt stay for them all but watched from the site until it changed.
Quote from al heeley :Some of the B&J tracks are just great, excellent competitive racing. Others I think are just a wreckfest, like the rosette one where paths keep crossing in the middle. You just end up with a big pile of wrecks in the middle and racing to gain points or even finish one clean lap becomes itself pointless.
Now this may work when there's 4 or 5 mates racing in a private sess together, but opened up to the public and 12 to 16 racers, it's carnage. In my view, this track should be retired.

OOoooohhhh your in BIG Trouble Al as that track is Becky's personal pride and joy
Noob question, but where are the track names displayed? Do I need to use a command to find it or am I just being blind?
I really enjoyed the one I played on last night, but no idea what it was called and I guess it's too late to check now.

But yes a lot of them are chaos. The thing is, would they be as bad if the collision physics were working properly? If the barriers and jumps were less lethal and all you had to watch out for was oncoming drivers, would the tracks that are now bedlam be enjoyable as normal banger racing circuits?
They might not need to be retired, just kept in storage until it's sorted
I think the track name comes up at the top of the screen as it's loading.
Sorry Becky, no offense but rosette just doesn't work as a racing experience if there are more than 6 people racing.
Certainly barriers are lethal due to the collision physics and lag issues can exaggerate accidents, but as all concerned are racing within the same restrictions you just have to take extra care of steering clear.
ParkwayLong is by far the best layout. You can have actual good racing on it.

Followed by Figurative. Wobbly Oval is IMO the best mixed layout for racing and "bumping and jumping" together so that gets my 3rd place.
Quote : where are the track names displayed?

Type $track and the name of the layout is shown, I think it might also be shown on the $server screen, and it's shown when the track is loading.

Regarding Tudor Rose, I think changes to the mid race joining system might be a better solution for that one. Unfortunately the standard LFS /midrace=no command doesnt cut it because drivers who started the race can still rejoin, so I need to make changes to the system for this, which you can expect in a future update.

It will mean that post race a lot of people are hitting shift-J in an attempt to get a grid slot for the next race - but hey, its one more incentive to try and not crash
Quote from CELTIC100 :If there was one thing I would change that applies to the B and J server would be to set track rotation to every half hour or 10 or 15 races which would enable you to race most of if not all tracks in a single evening or sitting.

I'll second this thought. I've actually only seen maybe 3 tracks now because there are 2 or 3 I'd say are too similar to call separate tracks (they are more like Aston tracks where there are several configs that share identical areas.) There are many layouts that have been named in CTRA threads that I don't believe I've seen yet. Since the Bump and Jump is based more on chilling out and having an enjoyable good time rather than flat out racing, half hour track rotations would work out well I think.
What about Shortening track rotation to an hour ............ Please
45 mins - 1 hr = +1
45 min- 1 hour. +1

No offense Becky, but it has been sayed before. Tudor Rose is a great track with a max of 5 or 6 drivers in a private session. I went on it last night with 13 racers. Maybe 1 or 2 did reach it to the end. There is no way you can get trough with traffic wich rejoin.

If they can stay out side until next race it could be you can excatly make it until the finisch. But better I think is to retire it completly. There are to many wreckers outthere who just like to have a go at you. I love the track very much but like i said it isnt for the public.

When we drove it during testing I havent seen so much carnage like last night. At leats during testing we made it to the finish. Now you are happy if you can make it until first corner.
Mid race join is diabled and the track rotation is shorter on the bump & jump server since the last 3 posts where made. Try that first please, it may not be necessary to retire any layouts.
Now, when the habitual 'wreckers-in-disguise' have been weeded out, we may find there are few problems with the Bump and Jump formula

I'll be testing it out soon

Sam
Shorter track rotation is good. There are so many layouts mentioned in previous posts that I havent seen yet. The ones I can remember I have driven on so far are Champagne, Wobbly Oval, Bunny Hop, Pit of Despair and the variations on the Wobbly Oval (longer versions) which I cant remember the names.
The longer versions of WobblyOval might be the various Parkway tracks? They're also in the same Autocross area.

I like the new track timings, it keeps interest higher

Sam
Just joined 5 races in the B&J server. It was a nightmare.

Nearly anybody used their brakes in T1, resulting in keep getting rammed into the red/white barrels, flipping high and then ending on my roof. I join spectators, wait a race, join again, lose again 3 points and hope for a good race... forget it. Submitted 3 reports, hope I have saved the right replay.

5 races, 30 minuts in my life waisted... Why do some people just ruin the entire B&J concept and the fun ?
Finally got a record today finally beat Celtic100 in B&J too

*hope he reads this*

Bump and Jump
(116 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG