The online racing simulator
Bump and Jump
(116 posts, started )
aye, cars dont vanish - they take 90 seconds to be cleaned up by the expert marshalls! Smile
I know about the automatic speccer set up to catch those doing that, and I guess you're right - it makes things more fun to have to dodge trashed cars Smile and it's realistic too.

Who loves WobblyOval as much as me? Big grin
Becky, putting the finish line there made for the most hilarious finish I've ever had - Arska and I fighting it out for the five laps of the first ever race there, and he's about ten yards ahead on the last lap - brakes for the last corner, and I realise I can get across the line flat-out - keep the hammer down, shoot up the inside and beat him by a matter of hundredths. Absolutely class, we both couldn't stop laughing at it Big grin Big grin Big grin

Hmm, I was going to say something about the lap timing, but I'm not going to... I like my world record Smile

In other news, Becky is the dirtiest racer I've been against Razz pushing the rules as far as they'll go is the perogative of the person who wrote them, I suppose :hide:

Sam
lol - Didn't actually break them though did I Wink...
No. Wink

Damn you

Sam
having raced there yesterday is think overall with the current collision physics layouts that either have very few barriers (the one on the skid pad you created for the banshee banger server) or slow layouts (the city driving with a grli holding the map one) work far better than faster ones
Quote from Dark Elite :No. Wink

Damn you

Sam

I must confess though, it's rare that I appologise for accidents and offer an explanation before they happen. Usually I try to make out they where accidental. Sorry if my [pre-]confession caused you any confusion.
Ah, now it's a bit more clear. I'd have opened up the throttle a bit earlier if I'd known you were admitting a plot rather than taking credit for my spin the race before!

Not to worry. Just make sure you can see your rear corners in your mirrors... And keep watch Wink

I've just finished proudly colouring the roof panels of all of my road cars bright blue, for use when in the Bump and Jump server - actually, I think we should all do that, so we know what licence people hold quickly and easily Smile I guess that's what you intended when naming the licences, Becky, but I haven't seen it actually done. It'll be a while before I have to change it to red, so I thought I might as well display my Blue status for now Big grin

Sam
It would be cool if people did their roof colours, but I know that it is unlikely because the server uses so many cars. We thought about making a number plate regulation using coloured text but decided against it as the player profile is kept between servers. So we left it in the licence name and hope it inspires some or most of you Smile
It only took about ten minutes to do them all - I had to go on an editing spree anyway, as my numbers needed changing. It's only the XFG, XRG, XRT, FXO and RB4 - not too much work to change five panels, but I can't see many people doing it until they get to Blue at least, otherwise it might change too quickly for it to be worthwhile uploading them all. You can probably barely see it from, say, the car behind, but I like it anyway Smile

Sam
Could you Becky do a colour chart to standardise the shades of colour as it would look awfull if everyone used a different shade of BLUE which may depress the server to the extent that we all commit suicide which would of course just result in loads of bans if it was attempted online Big grin

Sorry could'nt resist but having standard Colours mabe a good idea.
Quote from CELTIC100 :Could you Becky do a colour chart to standardise the shades of colour as it would look awfull if everyone used a different shade of BLUE and may depress the server to the extent that we all commit suicide which would of course just result in loads of bans if it was attempted online Big grin

you're so anal!!!!Schwitz
I was actually thinking the same thing, but I wasn't going to say it because I like my shade. Smile

(About the colours, not being anal... )

Sam
Quote from CELTIC100 :Could you Becky do a colour chart to standardise the shades of colour as it would look awfull if everyone used a different shade of BLUE and may depress the server to the extent that we all commit suicide which would of course just result in loads of bans if it was attempted online Big grin

Sorry could'nt resist but having standard Colours mabe a good idea.

Quote from StableX :you're so anal!!!!Schwitz

A little like your Driving then Big grin

See you trackside later Wink
I had some fun on the bump server yesterday, but I think mid-race join ruins it. You get half a dozen people who care even less than they did when they were actually in the race, and often they warp right into the path of apporaching cars.
edit: sorry... i should READ first, next time Wink
I think there is a point to be made there - mid-race joiners stand to gain nothing by finishing, and so have a tendancy to drive that little bit more recklessly. I like the bit of code that means you're not classed as a mid-race finisher until the second lap, so if you get annihilated in the first corner you're still in with a chance - but perhaps joining the race after the first lap should not be allowed. I mean, it's not a long race to sit through, is it? Smile

What're the opinions on this?

Sam
I need to look at what other complications might arrise on the system before I remove mid race joining on the bump and jump server. Such as having no finishers at all, the system has to cope.
#43 - Pig
Quote from Dark Elite :I think there is a point to be made there - mid-race joiners stand to gain nothing by finishing, and so have a tendancy to drive that little bit more recklessly. I like the bit of code that means you're not classed as a mid-race finisher until the second lap, so if you get annihilated in the first corner you're still in with a chance - but perhaps joining the race after the first lap should not be allowed. I mean, it's not a long race to sit through, is it? Smile

What're the opinions on this?

Sam

well... theoretically speaking, it's done for practice. I know for a fact that if i didn't midrace join some of the layouts, i'd never actually get to understand were i'm supposed to go.

Thing is, not everyone is carefull when mid-race joining, some are aggresive, taking out racers, but the truth of the matter is that some times this may happen unintentionally - cause they simply dont know that going out of the pits they get in the middle of the racing line...
Quote from sinbad :I had some fun on the bump server yesterday, but I think mid-race join ruins it.

Yeah we had a guy yesterday who would rejoin if his car got stranded, and would just fly back out into the pack of leaders like it was a bowling alley. Asked him to take it a bit steady if he rejoins and he bit all our heads off.

Unfortunately I reported the wrong race - instead of getting the one where he openly wrecked a couple of people I got the one before it, where he was calling me gay and telling me to stop bumming Shotglass! Big grin
ah yeah that was great ... before that i had the best race with kev ever which ended with him laughing so hard that he had to pull over

apparently the 2 of us are bum chums now ... whatever that means
Quote from Shotglass :... bum chums now ... whatever that means

english / german translation:

bum = penner/schnorrer etc.

chum = kumpel

Razz
I joined the new CTRA servers for the first time the other night and joined the B&J server first to get back into LFS after my time away.
Firstly, very impressed with the new system. The UI must've taken some working out - I don't envy whoever did that Smile

Secondly, the B&J server was a good laugh. Okay, I never actually managed to finish a race due to bouncing off people's roofs after the jumps, or the ramp collision physics going a bit wrong, but it was still great fun.

Thirdly, I like that the ranking up system is now more related to general performance than just completing a race first. The idea of using a percentage of the fastest lap sounds a lot like something I suggested for the old system a while back, and I'm glad somebody agreed with me Smile

If anyone wants to PM me with suggestions of how to survive the damn jumps, please feel free (suspension settings aren't an issue, it's just the random catapulting that I'm suffering from)! Look forward to getting back on the servers soon Smile
i think your translation of bum is wrong and doesnt quite capture what he meant
I'm quite certain he was suggesting that I was well acquainted with Shotglass' poop chute. It's a popular put-down at English primary schools.

On the server I did find myself staring at Shotglass' rear end for long periods of time, I'll admit that much.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm quite certain he was suggesting that I was well acquainted with Shotglass' poop chute.

inside and out ?

Quote :On the server I did find myself staring at Shotglass' rear end for long periods of time, I'll admit that much.

apparently you found it laughable :/

Bump and Jump
(116 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG