The online racing simulator
Quote from Belain :friday is in a few days...thats why there was nothing announced concerning friday yet...
afaik the rules say. the sunday before the race and friday before the race...

Aha, I see now. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
As it wasn't mentioned in the rules I ask it here. Is the next race timed, or is it 250 laps? The latter would make sense because it's called the 1000km of South City, but there is no mention of it anywhere?
its been mentioned already somewhere that they will calculate the laps. So according to lfs.net So_Long is 2.5 miles long so that makes it 4.02336 kilometers.

1000 km / 4.02336 km = 248,5 laps.
I guess the server will then be set to 248 / 249 laps (something around that)

But what just got into my mind is...what if the leader is a lap or 2 ahead of everyone else and then suffers a disconnect / shift+p then everyone would have to do more laps till anyone on the server finishes the 248/249 laps. Maybe we got to work with the tracker all the time during the race to get a proper finish. So whenever the leader hits the 248/249 laps in the Tracker everyone may complete their lap and then its finished...without having to care if someone _on the server_ finishes all the laps.
Quote from Belain :its been mentioned already somewhere that they will calculate the laps. So according to lfs.net So_Long is 2.5 miles long so that makes it 4.02336 kilometers.

1000 km / 4.02336 km = 248,5 laps.
I guess the server will then be set to 248 / 249 laps (something around that)

But what just got into my mind is...what if the leader is a lap or 2 ahead of everyone else and then suffers a disconnect / shift+p then everyone would have to do more laps till anyone on the server finishes the 248/249 laps. Maybe we got to work with the tracker all the time during the race to get a proper finish. So whenever the leader hits the 248/249 laps in the Tracker everyone may complete their lap and then its finished...without having to care if someone _on the server_ finishes all the laps.

Hmmm interesting thought. I just typed something really long here, but it is too confusing. We'll discuss it as admins. Because I do see a strange thing that could happen maybe. It might change to a 6 hour race if this is an issue.
well lets say due to disconnects / shif+p's the race wont be a 1000km race anymore but a 1014 km race (or basicaly just a few laps more than 248/249) it could either be finished with everyone having a few laps more or that after the race the admins look through the trackers log and any laps that were completed after the winning team finished theirs will be taken away.

The only problem with such a 1000km / 248/249 laps race would be when the leaders have disconnects / shift+p's...of course when nothing happens to the leading team there shouldnt be a problem at all but what IF something big happens...u never know
Well yeah.

Though, the tracker would be keeping track of the real leader's laps, but ingame online, you would really have to wait for the drivers in 2nd place... or whoever has been on there without a disconnect. I understand what you mean. And if this is indeed an issue, I think the only way to control it is to keep track of the real leader's laps via the tracker, and then stop the race once he completes them --- also assuming the tracker could have a cap on however many laps needs to be completed.

If the tracker had a cap for 248 laps or something, it would stop tracking after the leader finishes that distance (and let everyone finish the lap they were on). The only thing is, people might keep racing and it could affect other people on the track that need to finish... who knows. AND it wouldn't be a proper way of ending the race in the server (text wouldn't turn orange, and the server would think the race isn't over), that is just unusual.
As it looks right now, we will most probably need to change the 1000km races to regular 6h races unless an Insim wizard tells us how to give an external command to wave the race off even before the complete distance is reached.
oh something just got into my mind...erm...
as the /laps XYZ command also works while racing is on maybe lets say (the leader is in the final lap but suffered disconnects) but the one in second (leading on the server)is 2 laps down so he's in lap 246 which would be (for the actual leader) the 248th and final lap.

So while in that lap would it be possible to type in /laps 246 (instead the 248) so when the one in first (on the server) finishes that lap the race is over.

Gotta try that out tomorrow. Driving a few laps then changing the laps to the one im in and see if the race finishes after i crossed the finish line.
Works ...
At least with the /laps command.
I could change from 250 to 2 after one lap. I wasn't able to put in 249 from the start though, only full tens.
well in the lobby u could make it with: /laps 249
it works in the lobby aswel as ingame then..

what happened after u finished that 2nd lap? Was the race finished or did it just go on?
The race was finished ... I won ...

EDIT: We can't change the normal way in lobby, only with the /laps command. Somehow the full tens is the only way. (500Servers)
well yea but thats not a problem at all since i for myself never select the laps / qualifying and track like that...i always use the /laps XYZ, /qual XYZ, /track XYZ command in the lobby

but thats good with the /laps command during the race...that way the admins could end the race when the leader (according to the tracker) is on the final lap.
Okay, we'll need to give that a test somewhen during the weekend, thanks for the comments.
I just did a bit of testing, could anyone confirm my findings?

Szenario 1: started with 25 laps, changed to 20 laps when leader was in lap 20: -> LFS finished race.
Szenario 2: started with 5 laps, changed to 1 lap when leader was in lap 2: -> LFS did not finish race but continued on with lap counting

The whole problem is: via /laps you can only enter 10 lap differences once the race is more than 100 laps. If we start with 250 laps, the only number of laps that can be entered then is 240. It is very highly unlikely that the ingame leader will have less than 240 once we get to lap 250 of the real leader. So as it looks right now, we need to go with a 6h race.
Quote from Hoellsen :So as it looks right now, we need to go with a 6h race.

Yes, just to repeat this so every team knows this, please think your strategy through for a 6 hour race at SO Long now. (And Phil, edit the first post to say 6 hr)

The 1000km race would've been between 5-6 hours anyways, but now it will definitely be 6 hours, which is only a little bit longer than expected. Also expect to see this race's logo and new graphics packs ready by this weekend.
done
while u've edited the south city one u can also edit the kyoto one to 6 hours then
They are probably hoping for a new version of LFS that truly allows fixed length races when the Kyoto race comes
Quote from Hoellsen :I just did a bit of testing, could anyone confirm my findings?

Szenario 1: started with 25 laps, changed to 20 laps when leader was in lap 20: -> LFS finished race.
Szenario 2: started with 5 laps, changed to 1 lap when leader was in lap 2: -> LFS did not finish race but continued on with lap counting

The whole problem is: via /laps you can only enter 10 lap differences once the race is more than 100 laps. If we start with 250 laps, the only number of laps that can be entered then is 240. It is very highly unlikely that the ingame leader will have less than 240 once we get to lap 250 of the real leader. So as it looks right now, we need to go with a 6h race.

But I don't get it, why would you want to change the number of laps during the race? Just set it to 250 and done.. Here SO Long is 4.0 km, 1000/4=250.
Read earlier posts. We simply cannot do lapped based races, regardless of this lap change command. Easiest and error free way of going about this race is with a 6 hour timeframe. It's not like that is going to be any different from the 1000km race distance, probably the same expected laps (or less) with typical average laptime (90 secs)... not counting pitstops.
Quote from Tweaker :Read earlier posts. We simply cannot do lapped based races, regardless of this lap change command. Easiest and error free way of going about this race is with a 6 hour timeframe. It's not like that is going to be any different from the 1000km race distance, probably the same expected laps (or less) with typical average laptime (90 secs)... not counting pitstops.

Well, that's the point, it might make a difference.
The point is NOT to use a lap based race. Again, read earlier posts for reasons why. And the only idea we have to try and fix any errors that may happen if teams get disconnected is with a /laps command that is only in 10 lap intervals. It doesn't work out. Setting the laps to 250 isn't a solution. So please read earlier posts and you'll see that setting laps has its consequences.

The race is 6 hours.
You can have the exact same problem with a timed race.

If the leader has suffered a disconnection or insta-pitted, it is still possible for everyone else to drive one more lap than they should.
but only a maximum of 1 lap more where as in lapped races it can become more than just one...coz the race wont finish if noone hits the 250 laps but in a timed race it ends after 6 hours even people are in the 2nd lap for example

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG