The online racing simulator
Quote from spankmeyer :2) Stay away from Cone Dodgers' servers.

Quote from danowat :HELL YES, they need some SERIOUS moderation, well, the mods are just as bad, I suggest just giving them a VERY wide berth.

With patch X and the new Insim we are actually testing different things (how the servers can handle full load, how our PC's can handle 32 cars races, how our new system works, how the new Insim can handle full load, and much more).

So our servers are actually wide opened to full max connections and 32 cars on track.
We will reduce the number of cars on track soon, 32 cars is just crazy and almost impossible to play especially at the start.

Not everyone wearing a [CD] tag has admin rights. In fact very few of the CD members have admin rights untill this will be implemented.
Admin is not a job, we are not paid for doing that, in fact running servers cost us time and money and we don't earn anything from ours servers.
We are doing our best but we have only two eyes for 32 cars on track. Also, believe it or not, we have a normal life! Yes, incredible, I know... It's not because we are often online that we are always about. You never know if we are watching at the races or not. Big Brother is watching you! But Big Brother is not and can't be about 24/7. Obviously.
Anyway you can kick/ban vote on our servers. People who can't drive and other idiots usually get kicked or banned quickly, or they will leave by themselves. For some reason there are always guys who can get proper races and who often finish in the top 5 positions. Often the same ones. Skills ? Luck ? Both ?

We are going to run a licence system soon where you have to earn points on the public servers to be allowed to race on the reserved servers. More news to come soon, stay tuned.

We are doing all of this because of the passion we have for this game. Once again, we don't earn money, we don't have sponsors, and we can thank Birder for spending so much time, thus money, and for all the criticism and pressure he has to handle as the owner and founder of ConeDodgers.

"La critique est aisée mais l’art est difficile"
(Criticism is easy but art is difficult)
Philippe NÉRICAULT DESTOUCHES (1680-1754)
Quote from danowat :HELL YES, they need some SERIOUS moderation, well, the mods are just as bad, I suggest just giving them a VERY wide berth.

I completely understand why someone would be saying that, and its very frustrating for us when we hear it. We do have a very varied driver skill base on our servers, from world record holders, to people who attempt to drive a lap without knowning they have the pit limiter on...

As Lotes has mentioned, 32 drivers are very hard to keep an eye on, and we do actually want to have a race most of the time rather than baby sit the servers. There will be more 'marshalls' soon (not soon enough!)
#28 - Goop
Quote from kurent :That is a dangerous mentality that leads to circular logic. If 3/4 people are murderers why shouldn't I be one too? And why are those 3/4 murderers? Because they think the same as you do!

That's all that needs to be said imho. Take pride in racing as clean and as hard as you can; occasionally, you'll meet others that share the same ideal.
Lets hope it gets better, trust me, there is nothing more I would like to do than race XFR/UFR with a full grid in a competitive race, but I have tried to try and race on the CD XFR/UFR server since patch X, all times were a complete nightmare.

Here's hoping it gets sorted out for you guys
I actually closed my server down for 20 minutes just after X was released. 30 FO8s on a dual class server meant that it was impossible for FOXs to race.

First time I've had to take such drastic measures.
Quote from Lotesdelere :

Not everyone wearing a [CD] tag has admin rights. In fact very few of the CD members have admin rights

maybe that's the problem. are there member of your team that you wouldn't trust with the admin password? the team i am in gives all its members the admin passwords and some of the trusted friends of that team have it too. the way we see it is that everyone in the team is equal and also a potential admin.
more admins = lower workload
more admins = less chance af the server being un moderated.
more admins = more fun.
maybe you should try it, i promise you'll be surprised what people can do when given a bit of responsibility.
Most populated servers attract careless drivers so it is not only a CD issue.
We might modify the rules like this maybe?

1-) Don't join populated servers if you'r in good mood.You can destroy it.
2-) Write "DON'T HIT" on your back.
3-) Always save replays and send it to moderators for banning the rammers.
Quote from Gentlefoot :.... And then when other people join, they see that we are all driving properly they tend to do the same. If not they get kicked.

I agree with GF here. If I join a server where ricers are ricing cleanly & respecting each other then I will drive clean. On the other hand if people start pushing & shoving to get to the front then I tend to shove back & join in with the general mood of the server.
Quote from Thill :3/4 dont give a ****, why should I?

Because if you don't give a **** and stop racing cleanly, you will make the problem worse and ruin other people's race.

Be part of the problem or be part of the solution. It's your choice.
Quote from ZORER :Most populated servers attract careless drivers so it is not only a CD issue.

i would have to diss-agree with you there, Most populated servers attract drivers. unmoderated popular servers have "careless" drivers.
You can't really win if there is a popular server, it just attracts too many muppets.

This is going to sound stupid but, all you can do is race like you would want others to race you If you give up and just join in with general mood of the server you're just as bad as the people that piss you off and complain about.

There isn't anything that can be done because at the end of the day it's down to the other races (admins can help, but only up to a point) and it only takes 1 or 2 turn 1 heros to totally mess things up for everyone.
Quote from Gunn :Chicks dig clean racers. Everybody knows that. :rolleyes:

Amen to that!
#38 - Tomi
Quote from auch_enne :Hmm I think the problem might be that on the big grids if an incident happens, and well they do which is normal for racing, the people behind it think "hey a crash this offers opportunity to get by 5 people at once" instead of think "hey a crash maybe I should lift, maybe even brake, take a bit more care, wait for a gap so I can drive through without creating a big pileup"...

[...]

Well just my 2 cents of what I've seen on the big grid servers, yellow flags don't mean, "Floor it, you can now pass em all in one swoop." ....

greetz and enjoy the game

Well, that's what I usually do, and it worked great on CTRA New&Bronze servers.

But I was also there last night at the CD servers and lifting was not a solution because there was always someone behind you waiting for you to lift or brake and smash you.

Last night it was : YOU BRAKE AT T1, YOU DIE ! YOU LIFT ? YOU DIE ! YOU ARE ON THE OUTSIDE ? GUESS WHAT ? ----> YOU DIIIIIIIEEEE NEMESIS !!!! :hbomb:

The only solution was to start in the 3 front rows and miraculously escape the T1 mayhem. Oh yeah there was ONE race without an incident at T1. But a car landed on my roof in T2. :ambulance
Hmmm seems I got lucky when I spent an evening there...Raced for 2 hours, didn't get agressively touched once...Cleanest racing I've had in a long time...
My advice would be to join a server that is known for clean racing and good administration, currently I've been racing on the F1RST racing server which runs the ESCC combo. You'll find clean racing here and some really fast guys that help out and give advice.

And as GabbO pointed out, try to keep away from the really popular servers, as much as you might think its fun to drive with 25+ people on a public server it will always end in disaster. No public server will ever be as clean and well organized as any half decent league event, so if you're after big fields and clean racing join a league. If however you're just after some clean fun racing then I suggest you try smaller servers, team servers are usually the best as the members are more often then not there and always make for a good racing environment.
#41 - Toad
I've seen a fair bit of whining about crashing on T1 and I've had a few incidents myself. However, more often than not, carfeul driving, leaving enough room and watching for yellow flags gets you through.

When I spec. the people whining about T1 crashes, they're often racing just as hard as anyone else and seem to feel they're the only ones with a right to get round. At best they're engaging in 50/50s through the corner, at worst they are the ones initiating the collisions.

The thing that really bugs me though is the Restart voters. Straight to the pits, and Shift+R, often meaning those that drove conservatively and now have a reasonable race on their hands get put back to the start.

Racing on publics is an art in itselft separate to closed server racing or hotlapping - just takes some thought...

Toad.
yap Toad. Most of the guys who moan about getting shot, are at least partly guilty of the crashes too. Because there is more to it, then just luck, that I survive t1 most of the time
Quote from Toad :I've seen a fair bit of whining about crashing on T1 and I've had a few incidents myself. However, more often than not, carfeul driving, leaving enough room and watching for yellow flags gets you through.

When I spec. the people whining about T1 crashes, they're often racing just as hard as anyone else and seem to feel they're the only ones with a right to get round. At best they're engaging in 50/50s through the corner, at worst they are the ones initiating the collisions.

The thing that really bugs me though is the Restart voters. Straight to the pits, and Shift+R, often meaning those that drove conservatively and now have a reasonable race on their hands get put back to the start.

Racing on publics is an art in itselft separate to closed server racing or hotlapping - just takes some thought...

Toad.

+100
in demo times before S1 when there was just few servers we had either moderators constantly kicking or banning or CRC servers.It was so much fun.I spend times raciing Vykos,Macest and other top guys and learned so much.

This has however changed a lot.The percantage of very clean drivers is now very minimal.I dont post things like Thill because its useless in this forum.It always end flaming to guy who started such a thread claming he must be guilty as well if he posting such a things.Come on...

I got several times rammed,hammerd by other on servers and these guys just dont care how they really drive.Its really confusing ...I am rather trying to stay at the end of the pack but then suddenly some idiot hit you from back.So confusing sometimes and even more when it happend several times in a row.As I said I always rather stay back at the pack after start because I know its more easily to gain during few laps some positions.

Not everybody have time and to spend racing in leagues.
Casual LFS online racing its not what it have been.Really sad
hmm didnt know this will put up a discussion like that , just to clarify some things ..

1). Like i wrote at the first post , I just had to get it off mu chest thats why i posted it (was building up inside me for some time)

2) In no way did I want to say that the CD server is the problem so pls dont get me wrong as I love to race there (lack of ctra serv helps the love :P) . Yes I did post that after a string of I guess bad luck on the CD serv but this kind of thing happens on most of the servers (only the heavy moderated ones are fairly clean - cheers for that , but not to manny servs let you drive the ufr or xfr )

3) PwrSlave - If you must know (hate ppl that spin theories out of nowhere) i was involved in most of them because I tried to race clean and instead of hitting the pedal to the metal I tried to slow down and avoid rolling/spinning cars which ended up in me beeing rammed from behind most of the time. If I manage to get past the mayhem arround lap 1 (as for AS1 its not t1 thats deadly but the whole lap 1) I usually ended up in the top 5-10 finishing the race so i guess I do know how to drive (even thou I suck at making good times :P )

4) I know those kind of posts are usually useless as the only thing they do is provoke flame wars so I sincerly say sorry for that kind of thread but I just had to

5)I wont get as low as to starting to wreck ppl just because I had a really baaadtime , the title was just written this way to get attention I guess

5) Got it all out and now ready for another few months of havoc untill I have to do it again , so to all clean drivers hope to see you arround the servers , have fun good racing and best luck dodging wreckers
Quote from Lotesdelere :With patch X and the new Insim we are actually testing different things (how the servers can handle full load, how our PC's can handle 32 cars races, how our new system works, how the new Insim can handle full load, and much more).

So our servers are actually wide opened to full max connections and 32 cars on track.
We will reduce the number of cars on track soon, 32 cars is just crazy and almost impossible to play especially at the start.

Not everyone wearing a [CD] tag has admin rights. In fact very few of the CD members have admin rights untill this will be implemented.
Admin is not a job, we are not paid for doing that, in fact running servers cost us time and money and we don't earn anything from ours servers.
We are doing our best but we have only two eyes for 32 cars on track. Also, believe it or not, we have a normal life! Yes, incredible, I know... It's not because we are often online that we are always about. You never know if we are watching at the races or not. Big Brother is watching you! But Big Brother is not and can't be about 24/7. Obviously.
Anyway you can kick/ban vote on our servers. People who can't drive and other idiots usually get kicked or banned quickly, or they will leave by themselves. For some reason there are always guys who can get proper races and who often finish in the top 5 positions. Often the same ones. Skills ? Luck ? Both ?

We are going to run a licence system soon where you have to earn points on the public servers to be allowed to race on the reserved servers. More news to come soon, stay tuned.

We are doing all of this because of the passion we have for this game. Once again, we don't earn money, we don't have sponsors, and we can thank Birder for spending so much time, thus money, and for all the criticism and pressure he has to handle as the owner and founder of ConeDodgers.

"La critique est aisée mais l’art est difficile"
(Criticism is easy but art is difficult)
Philippe NÉRICAULT DESTOUCHES (1680-1754)

Hmmm.... sounds familiar.... ah yes CTRA.
Better well knicked then badly invented, i say.
Seems to me we better make this a central open system?
Why all people trying to invent the wheel?
#47 - FL!P
Some weeks ago I had some great races at ConeDodgers, but the last times I tried, in the past few days, it was impossible to run a lap without being crashed twice.

I believe this is due to the recent release of patch X which has attracted to LFS many people who don't usually race. I'm sure in a few weeks they'll all get tired and return to their usual shoot 'em up, and we'll get good races again.

Maybe we should ask Scavier not to send the announcement emails when a new patch is released.
T1 isn't the only problem. Turn 1 is very difficult and even proffesional drivers in real life (where they know the price of an accident) do mistakes and crash. What made me worried is lack of knowledge about racecraft in public servers. Seriously some of those guys look like they've never heared of racing.

Even racing one on one when you don't have to watch 5 other cars around you and one can keep his focus on the opponent. Everytime i block someone in the middle of a corner i get pushed, hit, rammed even if the car was completely behind me. If someone sticks the bumper on the inside which is obviously not enough and i shut the door i simply get pushed out of way ... NOBODY EVER BACKS UP
(I've bought a wheel two days ago, so i'm a bit off the pace atm, that's why i'm talking about defence)
Is it because nobody cares or is it just like on the highway where speeding guys in the more expensive cars expect you to get out of way 'cuz THE MASTAH IS ON DA ROAD!!!

"I have a better speed, but this car in front is in my way.. so let's remove the obstacle!!" ..
#49 - Jakg
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Hmmm.... sounds familiar.... ah yes CTRA.
Better well knicked then badly invented, i say.
Seems to me we better make this a central open system?
Why all people trying to invent the wheel?

Theirs is quite different to the CTRA, for a start.
Quote from Thill :sorry but i just have to get that off my chest ..

Wtf should i care if I ram/push somebody from the track if 3/4 of the ppl dont give a damn and nobody seems to care anyway ? Yesterday I managed to survive maybe 5-6 races out of hmm like 15. So today I think to myself "it was prolly just your luck , new day wont be that bad" but nooo now i managed to survive 2 out of 5 races. Most of them finished at t1 or t2 and mind you mostly I was starting from the first 6-10 position so i thought tat means ppl know what the middle pedal is used for ....

Sometimes I think ppl in the back of the pack try to drive more carefully than the leading positions cause they are scared to be called noobs , but after they reach the first 10 they automaticly think they dont need break anymore...

Breaks are not for pussies , the look left/right buttons are also VERY USEFULL!!

I often run purposely wide in the frist tunr because I know there is a car coming from behind that thinks he can out brake 15 people into the corner.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG