The online racing simulator
Wow, I think I need to hire a director and a producer for when I play LFS. Action!
#52 - FL!P
Any other opinions on the number of custom views that FlipCams should provide?
I don't need more than 5 views. maybe 10 should be the limit.
#54 - BURN
wow thank u very much m8. installed it and works perfekt. Now i can watch the tire deformation in a replay.

at the moment i dont need more then 5 views but may be for guys who are makin vids it would work out.

im satisfied thx a lot, cya
#55 - FL!P
Glad you like it, Smokey!

I haven't met you on track for a long time, mate. Hope to race you again soon.
#56 - BURN
ye im pretty much into GTR`s at the moment. but this might be over soon or later

we`ll see again no doubt about that, m8
Very nice work FL!P, an excellent addition to LFS.

I'm not so sure about the number of cameras, like you said yourself, it could become annoying to cycle through large numbers. For now, I don't see myself needing more than five anytime soon.
#58 - FL!P
Thank you, Tigershark!
Thank you good sir! I will be shure as hell to use this to its full potential when I get back home.
#60 - FL!P
Getting Started
Some people asked me questions on how to use FlipCams, during online races, which to be honest isn't the best occasion. So here's a little "Getting Started" that I hope will answer those questions.

The installer creates the new custom views by duplicating four times the existing one for each car. So the first thing you'll have to do is to edit those new views to your liking.

1. Go on track in single player and press v until the custom view is displayed. It's the one after the cockpit view that by default shows only the wheels. Let's say this wheels-only view is displayed and you want to keep it.

2. Press FlipCams' next camera hotkey (CTRL+F12 by default or whatever you chose in the installer). You'll see "FlipCams: CAM 2" displayed in the chat area, but the view itself will not change (more exactly it will change, but since they're all identical at that point you won't see a difference). Press SHIFT-O, click on VIEW, then on CUSTOM VIEW.

3. Now edit the custom view as you want. You can make the car's body visible, set the mirrors and dashboard to "real", move the camera, change the FOV, etc. When you're done, click OK to exit the options.

4. At that point, CAM 1 and CAM 2 are defined. Repeat the steps 2 and 3 until you've customized all the cameras, and you're done.

You'll have to do this for each car, though.

I hope this helps! Feel free to post any question you may have here, but please don't be offended if I don't reply to questions asked during races. Most of the time I ignore the chats while I'm driving. Or at least I try.

Flip
Tnx Fl!p this is really great. Although some may not need more viewangles, i would definately like more, and also an option to bind them to keys so u can instantly switch to a view (as if you're a real director). I'm into LFS content movie making and it's very time consuming at the moment.

I would like to use the numpad for instance where '5' is the center 'custom in-car' view and all the other numbers would be cams surrounding the car in an angle i prefer and somewhat logical positioned to the numpads order to make things very clear. Anywayz, thats the way I would like it. In that case i'd use the whole numpad which brings total number to 10.

Still, this would just be a configurable option. Like u want 9 cams and scroll thru it... or u want 6 cams controlled by buttons... it should all be possible. Why not even make the total number of cams unlimited, it's just the end-user's decission to make. This will make things a lot easier, no comments on '5' is enough, or '10' will be too much for me, nada, make it configurable and your program is awesome. A little tool like this should fulfill everyones needs in terms of camera views imho, not just a few.

keep up the good work
Nice ideas, but I really don't think you can make numeric pad keys run scripts which change the views as only the /Alt/Ctrl + f1-f12 keys can run scripts.

My guess is the majority wont want 10+ views taking up all the keys f1-f12 and would be happy with the scrolling option.

Perhapse if Flip ever re-does his installer, he might make that an option to use a user set unlimited views number etc. Would be alot of work. Till then, you might want to have a go tweaking the scripts to use all the F Keys as separtate views BruTaLysT

If it was my project I would make 1 key cycle through each of the ~three groups and the other two back and forward within that group to make about 15 differnet views, as that would be easiest and suitable for most, but hey, I'm lazy. Meh, just some words. Good luck Flip with your next version.
Hi Flip, I finally installed & used this today, it is very good, works well and is quite useful.
However I tried defining different keys than the default CtrlF11/CtrlF12 using the installer. I selected AltF11/AltF12 but within LFS it still installed FlipCams to the default key combo of CtrlF11/CtrlF12.
Any Ideas Why?
#64 - FL!P
@BruTaLysT & JasonJ: Thanks for the feedback, guys. Lots of good ideas, here, even if unfortunately some might not be possible to implement (Jason is right about the num pad key not being usable to trigger scripts).

@Flinty: This is odd. When you launch LFS, do you see the message saying "FlipCams: CAM 1"? What if you run the installer again over your current install and choose ALT+F11/ALT+F12? (your existing cams will be preserved)
Quote from FL!P :@Flinty: This is odd. When you launch LFS, do you see the message saying "FlipCams: CAM 1"? What if you run the installer again over your current install and choose ALT+F11/ALT+F12? (your existing cams will be preserved)

Yes it did give me the message on LFS start but the keys were set as the default CtrlF11/CtrlF12, I also re-run the installer but it still did the same. I just gave up and used CtrlF11/CtrlF12 in the end.
#66 - FL!P
Thanks for your report and follow-up, Flinty. There was a bug in the installer preventing to use the ALT+F11/ALT+F12 hotkeys that is now fixed. I just released the 1.0.1 where the only change is this fix to the installer. You can download the new version from the top message in this thread.

Those who already installed FlipCams 1.0 and didn't want to use the ALT+F11/ALT+F12 hotkeys don't need to upgrade it.
Cheers FL!P, How funny I just happened to pick the only set of keys that had a bug preventing them from working - sheeesh!!
#68 - FL!P
Quote from BruTaLysT :an option to bind them to keys so u can instantly switch to a view (as if you're a real director).

I forgot to mention that you can already do that with ALT+FKeys, for example (but not with numpad keys).

Go to Options > Game and define message hotkeys set to "/run fc_runCam1", "/run fc_runCam2", "/run fc_runCam3", etc (without the quotes). Note that the prev/next hotkeys will keep working as expected. So for example if you jump directly from CAM 1 to CAM 4 and press the prev hotkey, you'll get CAM 3.

And while you're there, you may also want to define hotkey to access the other views directly, by setting hotkeys to "/view heli", "/view fol" (chase view), "/view cam" (track cams), "/view driver", or "/view custom" (FlipCams).

BTW, I'd love to see videos that use FlipCams, so when you have something to show, please feel free to post a link here.
Sorry for my bad english.
I tried to install the flipcams but, when start the game, appears this informs:

installation is ok, and i using the correct version of the game, but it continues this error.
I hope some help.

regards
#70 - FL!P
Hi, sorry you're having trouble with FlipCams. Does your LFS\data folder contain the "views" folder and 4 "view_cam*" folders (where * is a number between 1 and 5)?
Thanks alot for this nice addon FL!P.

It works great.
Hi Fl!p, that indeed solved my problem, thank you for informing me with a private message, how nice

Have to admit, this reply is a bit late, but better late then never...

Still, are you planning to make your tool more versatile? I don't really bother putting in all commands myself and be creative with all possible options, but it would be nice if such options were implemented so others with less experience editing files can get what they want too. You made such good start, i hope you give it a bit more work though...

Anyway, still an awesome tool, can't do without it.
#73 - FL!P
Quote from BruTaLysT :Still, are you planning to make your tool more versatile?

Yes, I'm compiling ideas and thoughts about the next version. But I have no idea when I'll have time to really work on it, because the only time I could spare at the moment would have to be taken from racing. So there will be a new version, but don't expect it in the next few weeks.

And I'm glad you guys like FlipCams!

Flip
BUMP

I got a tip about Flipcams from a helpful poster in the LFS Movies forum. I haven't installed it yet, but I will use it to help me in making some edits to an onboard-cam-only movie I recently made.

+1 for helping to build the LFS community with your skills

oh, and, I read through this thread and so

+1 for being patient and supportive to help others use it. Very nice effort my friend

I do have one small question...
Quote from FL!P :...
4. At that point, CAM 1 and CAM 2 are defined. Repeat the steps 2 and 3 until you've customized all the cameras, and you're done.

You'll have to do this for each car, though.

Flip

is there a way to copy the view files to another directory or with another name so that cams can be copied to another car? I realise the different cars have different sizes etc, but as a starting point to have already most of the view settings defined?

Merci, tu rock!
#75 - FL!P
Thanks for the feedback and the +1's.

You can do what you want, but it may not be very handy:

Once you've set the cameras for a given car—let's say the RB4, for example—go to your LFS\data folder. There you'll find a folder named "views" and four folders named "views_cam*" (where * is a number). In each of these folders, duplicate the file named "RB4.cvw", and name the copy with the code of another car (for example "UF1.cvw"). That will duplicate the corresponding RB4's cam for the UF1.

And now you see why I said that it wouldn't be very handy.

FlipCams - 5 custom views per car
(199 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG