Ice race
(25 posts, started )

Poll : Would you like an ice race car in LFS

Closed since :
Yes
No
I don't care
Ice race
Would you like to have an Ice race car ( 4 wheels drive, 4 wheels steering, less than 1000 kg and about 350 hp) and at least one dedicated ice race in LFS?

I'm just wondering if people here like this kind of race!

PS: I used the search engine and didn't come up with anything interesting about this subject!
it would certainly be fun to drive but im affraid it will turn out to be a banger racing event on most servers
#3 - heson
No, that looks like drifting, car ballet to the "serious" racers around here, so we cant have that
Quote from heson :No, that looks like drifting, car ballet to the "serious" racers around here, so we cant have that

Drifting is indeed more like a ballet on asphalt because it is not efficient to drive like that!

In rallycross and even more on ice it is the most efficient way to drive fast around the track! I don't see why it woudn't be serious .
Some people seems to be blindly agressive against anything related to drift
Quote from heson :No, that looks like drifting, car ballet to the "serious" racers around here, so we cant have that

You're kidding right? (I hope you are.)

Ice racing is called in the real world rally racing, also known as "offroad" racing, I could go on, but I can promise you that type of racing is nowhere close to being drifting. Drifting is an event where one or two people battle against each other. Ice racing consists of the largest car companies in the world fighting for the title of having the safest car (I believe Opel owns the title now), and usually are run on tracks with 20+ people on them, and there is even a 24 hours snow race (hard to believe, but its true, and very very dangerous).
and very very dangerous even the skilled racers?
Well look at it this way. Once you're older than a baby, you become skilled at walking right? Doesn't mean you won't trip and fall over just because you're skilled.
I believe that Ice racing would be popular among drifters (AS A RACING SPORT), since the techniques are basicaly the same.... (turn before the corner - slide the car through the corner, exit the corner)
indeed, ice racing is actually it's own form that's a spin off from rally racing. despite the fact that the cars get very sideways, it has nothing to do with drifting.

i don't know if specific ice racing cars or tracks are needed, but it might be cool if studded tires were an option, and of course if there was weather (rain and snow).
can we start with rain first plzthxbai
Why? LFS already has a code for ice in it. (No I'm not kidding either, the ramps are made of ice according to LFS.)
Quote from XCNuse :Why? LFS already has a code for ice in it. (No I'm not kidding either, the ramps are made of ice according to LFS.)

And according to some people, all the tracks in LFS are already made of ice
Ice racing in LFS, let's see:

Good news: LFS's physics engine already has the capability to simulate ice very well, just that it was used for development and never actually implemented in the sold program.

On the other hand, the only existing car that has a chance in this form of racing is the RB4. Even with 4wd, your grip on ice will not magically increase, so we'll need studded tires for this to work.

True, ice racing involves lots of sideways action, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the tire burning showdrifting kids indulge in these these days. They go sideways only because the it is the optimal way to negotiate curves on snow with the minimum use of time. It's the same with snow in WRC stages too, though not to such an extreme extent.

So WHY is sideways the most efficient way in snow? It's all to go with the grip circle of studded tires on ice. It's all because the longitudinal grip (traction) far exceeds lateral grip, so all that longitudinal grip is better off used by pointing a car at a greater angle than the actual line of travel to use that excess traction into centripetal force, using traction to force the car towards the center of a circle.

Difference between ice racing and showdrifting:

Ice racing: Juts using the most efficient means necessary to get the job done.

Showdrifting: Sideways for the sake of sideways.
Quote from Jamexing :to use that excess traction into centrifugal force

that sounds like a pretty bad idea
it's a sim for speed (in generall, hopefully some day), any more discussion needed?

regards
Quote from Shotglass :that sounds like a pretty bad idea

A bad idea if your lateral grip is very much comparable to your longitudinal grip, like on tarmac racing. It is clear to me now that very few people here have a good idea of things off grippy surfaces are like. Even today tire technology has done a great job of getting traction on loose and slippery surfaces but lateral grip is another matter altogether.
Quote from Jamexing :A bad idea if your lateral grip is very much comparable to your longitudinal grip, like on tarmac racing. It is clear to me now that very few people here have a good idea of things off grippy surfaces are like. Even today tire technology has done a great job of getting traction on loose and slippery surfaces but lateral grip is another matter altogether.

read what you wrote there real slowly again
Quote from Shotglass :read what you wrote there real slowly again

What exactly did I say that confuses you? Care to point out?

When I said things OFF grippy surfaces I mean relatively low grip and maybe even loose surfaces like snow and ice.

Let's look at things with imagined graphics. Lets say a tire has a grip force circle that is very much oval, with more grip longitudinally than laterally. Lets say that its longitudinal grip aka traction is so good that it accelerates very well in a straight line to a pretty high speed. Then comes a corner say a 90 degree turn with approximately constant radius. To negotiate this you need to basically apply force that basically turns the momentum in your original entry travel direction into zero whilst accelerating out in the appropriate direction and gain momentum in that direction.

First thing of course you slow down a bit to scrub of some straight line mometum. Then you need to yaw the car in the right direction and set the car up in an angle that ensures maximum acceleration in the right direction whilst still providing enough deceleration to zero your momentum in the direction of origin.

This may all sound confusing and alien to tarmac racers that just crank the steering wheel and let the large lateral grip do the job, but if you think about it and maybe do some experiments on a slippery surface say mud with nice paddle like mud tires that have excellent traction but piss poor lateral grip, then you'll understand.
Quote from XCNuse :Why? LFS already has a code for ice in it. (No I'm not kidding either, the ramps are made of ice according to LFS.)

Wasn't there ice in the early demo's of LFS?
i would like ice racing added, but after and only after about 2 dozen other things:
LMP
GT1
Trackday Specials (Atom, SR3, Ultima)
LX race car
MR GTR
UFR competitor but with RWD
WRC car
Evo/Sti clone
Rally stages
New tracks
Damage Modeling
GTR interiors (all interiors)
DP1
Weather
Time of Day changes
Track Condition changes
Clutch and Engine Damage

But yea, after that, I'd love some ice racing.
Quote from Jamexing :Ice racing in LFS, let's see:

Good news: LFS's physics engine already has the capability to simulate ice very well, just that it was used for development and never actually implemented in the sold program.

On the other hand, the only existing car that has a chance in this form of racing is the RB4. Even with 4wd, your grip on ice will not magically increase, so we'll need studded tires for this to work.

True, ice racing involves lots of sideways action, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the tire burning showdrifting kids indulge in these these days. They go sideways only because the it is the optimal way to negotiate curves on snow with the minimum use of time. It's the same with snow in WRC stages too, though not to such an extreme extent.

So WHY is sideways the most efficient way in snow? It's all to go with the grip circle of studded tires on ice. It's all because the longitudinal grip (traction) far exceeds lateral grip, so all that longitudinal grip is better off used by pointing a car at a greater angle than the actual line of travel to use that excess traction into centripetal force, using traction to force the car towards the center of a circle.

Difference between ice racing and showdrifting:

Ice racing: Juts using the most efficient means necessary to get the job done.

Showdrifting: Sideways for the sake of sideways.

This is why I hate formula D, and traction control. If it wasn't for TC, we might just have WAY more racing with drifting used to go faster around a corner, and not showing off. IE: remember the good ol days of the AC cobra at lemans? Quote: Doing a 4 wheel drift was the only fast way of putting those cars through a corner fast, and coming out within the powerband.
Quote from Markz :"Ice racing" as most of you like to call it (lol same here) will be hard in the beginning, sure. That's what we all said about rally racing and road racing, but eventually you grow into it and get used to it. How do you think some pro racers got to where they are today? They all said it was hard at first... Now look where they are :P.

+1, I'd love for rally racing to have a brother

I'd love for there to actualy BE rally racing in LFS, you know, whith point-to-point courses, checkpoints, rally cars, etc. and not this half-assed, overrated rallycross bullsh*t.

EDIT: through, buisy as you guys (devs) are, I DO give my apreciaton to you for even trying to do rally stuff in the first place, and not just putting it off as not done enough, like you did with the weather, time-of day, etc. Again, thanks for what we DO have.
i really would like to have one of these cars in lfs. i dont care very much for ice racing (andros),although i would like to have it too, but these cars......brilliant!

Ice race
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG