The online racing simulator
PROTOTYPE 2

You won't see this car on any public roads. It has been designed exclusively for the race track in order to reach the limits of high performance, particularly in the realms of endurance racing. This V8-powered open prototype is somewhat limited compared to it's bigger brother, the PT1, but don't let that fool you; it is frighteningly fast.
Rear wheel drive

Engine:
3.4 liter V8 NA

Power:
375 KW (503 bhp) @ 10300 rpm

Torque:
370 Nm (273 lbft) @ 7500 rpm

Total Mass:
775 kilo (1708.6 lbs)

Power-weight:
0.65 bhp / kg

Weight dist:
47.0 F 53.0 R

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROTOTYPE 1

This closed prototype racer is a pure-bred in endurance racing. It's massive diesel powered, twin-turbo V12 engine is second to none in Live For Speed.

Rear wheel drive

Engine:
5.5 liter Diesel V12 Twin Turbo

Power:
522 KW (700 bhp)

Torque:
1200 Nm (885 lbft)

Total Mass:
925 kilo (2039.3 lbs)

Power-weight:
0.76 bhp / kg

Weight dist:
47.0 F 53.0 R
bump
yeah, just drop the diesel from it, no need for it. Make it something fun like rotary.
lmao you don't know much about diesels do you srdsprinter.... V12 diesel... the torquest enging you can get... n u wanna rotary lol... ur thinking of lil farting city bombs with diesel.... not a thing like a high performance diesel... however it has a very specific use... not something u'd slop in a f1 car... but long endurance races that needs alot of very high acceleration and alot of high speed and super reliability. Thats HP Diesel..

V
But they still sound like tractors.
Quote from Primoz :But they still sound like tractors.

Or nothing *cough*BTCC 120D*cough*
+1 for the Le Mans PT
Quote from duke_toaster :Or nothing *cough*BTCC 120D*cough*

Exactly. Or nothing at all above 3rd gear. The wind/tire noise completely blankets the engine and the drivers go on lights alone for the R10. Which doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me. (no pun intended).

And please, Venus, don't act like you know my knowledge of Diesel engines. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and was a member of my University's SAE. I'm a subscriber of Racecar Engineering and a follower of motorsports for over a decade.

While diesels are great for endurance motorsports (BMW at 24hr N-ring, Audi LeMans, VW), I don't see their merit in LFS. 99% of all LFS races are <30 Mins in duration, and most without pit stops. Why include something that really only Truely appeals to the so rarely used endurance format?
Quote from srdsprinter :...I'm a subscriber of Racecar Engineering...

While this is not meant in any way to insult yourself... That mag sucks. I picked up an issue because it had info on the SuperGT series (which there is no coverage of in North America). The Mag started off with the writer saying his greatest joy in going to an SAE event was to tell the students that they didn't have a clue what they were doing. The hell is that? Now, some people may get a warm fuzzy feeling when giving engineering advice to students, but this came off as a completely pompous, self-righteous thing to say. On the topic of SAE, I'm all for it. It's cool, it's interesting, and most importantly, it's fueling the industry that I love so much... but the mag was about half SAE related (and this is a fair-sized magazine by North American standards) and yet it still had nearly nothing worthwhile to say, nor technically interesting to point out.

When it came to the SuperGT stuff, the writer was going on about the merits of the bodykits; simply based on aesthetics. He/she (I forget which) was going on about the cars like a rice-boy goes on about his 1989 Honda POS with a 'phat' bodykit and '733t' spoiler.

I thought that was supposed to be an engineering mag? Did I just pick up the wrong issue? Surely they can't all be that bad... I want my $13 back (yep, over twice the price of any other mag).

Anywho.. I shall step off my soapbox. What was the topic again? Oh yea, Protos.

+1.
Yikes - I guess you didn't get a good one then.

From manufacturing processes, to new technologies, to rules and formats, the magazine has been pretty interesting for me anyway.

The technical stuff has been pretty neat, gearboxes, and the story behind Jaguar's return to the British GT3 scene stand out of late. There is also usually pretty good theory on stuff like aerodynamics and car setups.

Wait... Oh yea,

Prototypes +1
Ah, there is hope. Maybe I'll pick up another issue sometime. The technical stuff (especially mechanical workings) is something I find extremely interesting. I remember doing a project for college last year in which I got the chance to do research on rotaries. I got a 98.6% on the assignment purely because of my knowledge displayed in my paper; the knowledge was there because I was so interested and amazed at the workings I just kept researching and researching.

Hopefully RE can give me the same feeling and get me back into reading. We'll see.

I'm not so interested in the rules, though, unless they have a direct impact on the cars. (For instance, I had a good time reading about the impact the newer ACO rules had on the protos, like the chamfered floor section and tunneling, etc)

24h Le Mans special car for LFS
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG