The online racing simulator
Quote from MAGGOT :The Porsche 911 GT1 EVO did a backflip at the Petite LeMans IIRC, as did the BMW LMR.

And lets not forget the tragedy of the R8 backflip in testing.

wasn't that caused by Audi's refusal to equip the car with tire pressure monitors, and a flat tire that would have been seen with them? Very sad either way.
Quote from MAGGOT :The Porsche 911 GT1 EVO did a backflip at the Petite LeMans IIRC, as did the BMW LMR.

And lets not forget the tragedy of the R8 backflip in testing.

The prototype flips are different as they are built to a separate set of technical regulations.

However, it seems like the LMP flips have been cured, and the R8 was used in 05 and I imagine it is still legal. Has there been some form of rule change?
Quote from srdsprinter :wasn't that caused by Audi's refusal to equip the car with tire pressure monitors, and a flat tire that would have been seen with them? Very sad either way.

Last time I had looked into it, they did not know what caused the flip. Thanks for info, though. Sad indeed

Quote from duke_toaster :The prototype flips are different as they are built to a separate set of technical regulations.

The same aerodynamic principles that caused to the CLR and 911 GT1 flips applied to the BMW LMR flip as well. The BMW and 911 flips were virtually identical in nature, the CLR, of course, was much more dramatic because of the greatly higher speed. The exact same things caused all 5 flips, though.

Quote :However, it seems like the LMP flips have been cured, and the R8 was used in 05 and I imagine it is still legal. Has there been some form of rule change?

Yes actually, there has been a rules change. The rear diffuser is shorter, rear overhang shorter, front overhang longer and front diffuser longer. This is to try to move the centre of downforce further forward to avoid backflips. In addition, when seen from the front or back (in a cross section) the floor between the front and rear wheels has a chamfer. That was done to reduce theffect of a crude aerofoil shape of the car when travelling sideways to prevent the cars taking off when in a high speed slide (happens all the time in NASCAR Races at the big tracks. You'll see a car slide sideways at high speed and then it just takes off).

I believe these rules were added for the 05 season, and all new chassis had to meet them. Older chassis were allowed to compete for one more year. "Hybrid" rules were also made for older chassis which were modified to meet the new rules. As of the start of the 2007 season, the Hyrbird chassis are now illegal for ACO competition (LMES and LeMans). However, they are still legal in the ALMS. (An effort to get more cars into the series)
Quote from srdsprinter :Closed proto = Air Conditioning! It gets hot when i drive so that's a plus!

Actually, the rule is AC or a 15kg lump of lead. The closed cars must have the AC, others can choose. 1 or 2 open car teams choose to fit un-needed AC systems as they are lighter than 15kg or something like that.
Lol... the belief is just to put an AC in there but never turn it on, keeping th~15HP it would take to run.
Rumour has it that Audi got the 15kg weight addition added to the rules because they couldn't get their deiesel behemoth down to 900kg. Crafty buggers! lol
Quote from srdsprinter :Lol... the belief is just to put an AC in there but never turn it on, keeping th~15HP it would take to run.

Yeah, you can have a 0.2mm (well, about that big) bigger air restrictor if you have AC.
Quote from duke_toaster :Yeah, you can have a 0.2mm (well, about that big) bigger air restrictor if you have AC.

Yes, OT, but this brings up a good point.

Anybody else find Air Restrictors to be a huge step backwards?
Make the cars use smaller fuel injectors and let the cars evolve that way (allow the engineering and technology to be applicable to road cars improving performance with less fuel)

Saying you can only have so much air is just dumb.
Petroleum based fuel - non renewable
Air - everywhere
Quote from srdsprinter :Yes, OT, but this brings up a good point.

Anybody else find Air Restrictors to be a huge step backwards?
Make the cars use smaller fuel injectors and let the cars evolve that way (allow the engineering and technology to be applicable to road cars improving performance with less fuel)

Saying you can only have so much air is just dumb.
Petroleum based fuel - non renewable
Air - everywhere

I find air restrictors silly. I'd much rather have a fuel flow restrictor or maybe even aerodynamic restrictors ....
I've never actually thought about that myself. Good idea, though.

However... couldn't then the engineers just use a stronger fuel pump? They'd just shove the fuel through the smaller hole faster to get the same amount of fuel
Quote from MAGGOT :I've never actually thought about that myself. Good idea, though.

However... couldn't then the engineers just use a stronger fuel pump? They'd just shove the fuel through the smaller hole faster to get the same amount of fuel

What about limiting the flow rate rather than the size that you chuck it through?
what a great idea

the prototype GT1's lok awesome - bring it on!
In that case, they'd just make a bigger hole :P lol They'd have to limit both flow rate and size to keep teams from reading around the rules. Even then, Audi would find a way to bend them... they always do :P
Quote from MAGGOT :In that case, they'd just make a bigger hole :P lol They'd have to limit both flow rate and size to keep teams from reading around the rules. Even then, Audi would find a way to bend them... they always do :P

If they were to say so much fuel could pass through the hole, surely if they made the hole bigger they would have to make it go through slower.
Exactly my point. Limit the fuel rate, so the engineering will create a more efficient fuel system, that will trickle down so my Civic can get 40mpg and have 250hp.
gee you guys love to argue :P

How can we put this suggestion into more detail? how about to draft up some technical specifications for our possible car?

Post suggestions and see if we can't come to an agreement on them!
i wouldnt say its arguing... just a pleasant discussion.
Quote from Burnzoire :gee you guys love to argue :P

How can we put this suggestion into more detail? how about to draft up some technical specifications for our possible car?

Post suggestions and see if we can't come to an agreement on them!

Audi R8 in 2001 spec (before it got knobbled)?

The numbers

And as a closed car a car similar to the Bentley Speed 8 (could use Ramtech's model).

The numbers

For P2, maybe a car like the Porsche RS Spyder.
Quote from duke_toaster :Audi R8 in 2001 spec (before it got knobbled)?

The numbers

And as a closed car a car similar to the Bentley Speed 8 (could use Ramtech's model).

The numbers

For P2, maybe a car like the Porsche RS Spyder.

I'd love to see those two types of body styles in LFS for our Prototype class. I think having two styles like those would be the best bet. Could run them on the same track at the same time. I am just smiling thinking about (Wishing really hard)
Agree 2 body styles would be great, but the Bentley was really Just an Audi with a closed roof, nothing more. Maybe one with a NA V12, and one with a Rotary, or a Turbo Flat 6 would be cool.
Quote from srdsprinter :Agree 2 body styles would be great, but the Bentley was really Just an Audi with a closed roof, nothing more. Maybe one with a NA V12, and one with a Rotary, or a Turbo Flat 6 would be cool.

OK then, Ramtech's model with a rotary, an open turbo V6 like the R8 and a car like the BMW.
or a turbo v8 even!
Quote from srdsprinter :...the Bentley was really Just an Audi with a closed roof, nothing more.

Just the 2003 one. The 01-02 EXP Speed 8 was all Bentley (or whoever they paid to build it). It's still the sexiest car to grace LeMans in some time

I'd love an 03 Bentley clone... hell, I'd love a clone of the hideously ugly Lavaggi if it means we get a proto!
Quote from MAGGOT :Just the 2003 one. The 01-02 EXP Speed 8 was all Bentley (or whoever they paid to build it). It's still the sexiest car to grace LeMans in some time

I'd love an 03 Bentley clone... hell, I'd love a clone of the hideously ugly Lavaggi if it means we get a proto!

I quite like that car. Its like a mix between F1 and Le mans.

If i've got some time tomorow, I might draw up some plans of our ideal LFS concept car. Then everyone can add/take away things.
The problem with that is everyone likes different things. We could have 5 different concepts and still not get what everyone wants incorporated in some way.

For what it's worth, though, I want it to be a closed cockpit car, side exhaust and LHD.

24h Le Mans special car for LFS
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG