The online racing simulator
What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
Not sure if there was a topic like this or not, if so, let me know, spank me in the bum, and show me where . We talk about how we got interested into racing in real life, on TV, but what clicked you completely when you played a racing game that turned you into a 24/7 racing fan? For me, it'd have to be this game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCUz7_hVqY I was never really into racing until this game came out. I never understood much of the outside world and communication when I was a child *due to hearing disability* and once I got into this game, I was hooked, and started looking for motorracing on weekends at BBC 1. This game brings back so many memories. EDIT: Why on earth am I not getting paragraphs anymore when I press enter?
#2 - wark
Geoff Crammonds F1GP got me into regularly playing racing games when it came out in '92, then played GP2 when that came out in '96. Played that until GPL came out in '98 and then started on LFS in 2002. Kept playing GPL until a couple of years ago. I really must reinstall it and give it another go sometime Maybe I can improve on my rank now, but most likely I'll be a long way off! Before GP I did play a few games but not for as long as I'd play F1GP at once!
Good topic!

For me it was probably Pole Position, Revs etc., the Commodore 64 versions. So long ago, so... it's really hard to remember what was THE one racing game, though.
Probably Ridge Racer on PlayStation back in '96.
I feel like such a noob, but I only had a 8-bit NES before the PS. I can't recall any racing games from there, so I guess there wasn't anything interesting enough.
The first racing game I remember was some 16-colour (or whatever, "pinky" colours you know) F1 game on PC 286 era... anyone recognizes?

But because I can't even remember that game, more obvious games would be Stunts and Crammond's F1 GP.
Seen as we are not all old giffers like some people

the first racing game i remeber playing on was Mario Kart on the 64 and after that it was grandturismo 1 when it first came out on playstation.

if i look through my games now 95% of them have got cars in them, if you cant drive a car in a game im not intrested.

and ive always been a fan of racing becuase my dad is a petrol head and has always had fast cars, which he took me out in and since then ive been hooked on speed.
Poll Position for me on me dads old Amiga. (or is it Commadore?) Always confuses me. Then their was a few on the old Megadrive, then the GT series.

Ofcourse their were others in between them.
Not too sure, Indi 500 was my first sim though (I couldn't read much English that, it was all down to guessing )
Accolade's Grand Prix was most likely my first racing game, my love for racing sims started with LFS ... I know I'm late
LOL initially I was thinking of a fairly recent game like Colin Mcrae Rally, but as I'm reading through all the posts I'm saying to myself oow I remember playing that one alot, oh yeah that one also.... yeah I'm an old fart

So earliest one is Pole Postion on an Atari 800 in about 83-84 era

I grow up with my old man's passion for cars and racing, so when I became interested in computers back in 82 it was a natural progression to start looking for car racing games.
Earliest I can remember is playing the SNES, but not a racing game, I think my first was Ridge Racer. PS1, heh what a game! Full throttle all the way.
My racing days started with sega master system f1 game, i am sorry i forgot the title but it had two cars in it, one blue and one red. But i think it was Destruction Derby 2 and F1 97 on the psx that really got me hooked...
Quote from herki :Not too sure, Indi 500 was my first sim though (I couldn't read much English that, it was all down to guessing )
Accolade's Grand Prix was most likely my first racing game, my love for racing sims started with LFS ... I know I'm late

Yeah, the same games for me too. That Bruno Gordo was one tough nut to crack ^^

Also Accolades Testdrive and Street Rod got me hooked up.
I think my earliest was a game called "Screamer" for pc.
Need for speed 1 on playstation 1 linked up with me bro got me hooked, then the First F1 game for playstation with Murry Walker commentating again in link mode, The first Online racing sim on P.C. was Nascar 4 which I have been hooked on online racing ever since, and purchased every reasonable racing sim since including LFS s1 & s2, rFactor, GTR 1&2, RBR,Netcar Pro , nascar 2003, GP4, GPL. Race.
The Need for Speed / IndyCar Racing II. Not sure which I got into first. Although I'd played other arcade type games, those were the first two that tried to give a realistic impression.
well besides my dad (who is a former racer)

this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUK_1AKsSuk

microprose's F1 Grand Prix racing
(and i even remember pronouncing prix.. well.. pricks rather than pree)

oh, and later one, nigel mansell racing for SNES
From way, way back, Pole Position for the ZX Spectrum 48K. Geoff Crammond's F1GP really captured my imagination back when a 486DX w/ 4MB of RAM was considered a cutting edge machine. Then came GP2, one of the first games to make me consider upgrading my system to play. Finally, Grand Prix Legends ushered in the modern era of racing simulations.

(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG