The online racing simulator
Engine Tuning and Car Tweaking...
Why not make it possible to tweak the engine???
Like lower or raise turbo boost, on turbo cars, more boost makes the engine heat go up and wears the engine over short time, and lower boost makes the engine last longer, maybe...
And tweak of the camshafts intake/exhaust.
Idle rpms and top rpms.
And adjustments for the fuel pump...
Just simple or advanced engine tuning...
And maybe upgrades to buy for the racing credits, turbo, performans upgrades.
And the possibility of changing spoilers or adding spoilers for better looks and traction.
Congratulations - you are the 1,000,000th person to suggest this unfeasible and silly idea(s)...
What is unfeasible and silly about tweaking an engine??? It happens in real life, so it must be possible in a game...
yeah, but its just been suggested to death. just wait for fonnybone to release LFSTweak for S2 whether that be fo S2 alpha or the full version....whenever that might be. take your time, devs, we know it's alot of work

and to fonnybone-HURRY UP ON THAT S2 ALPHA LFSTweak!!!!!!!!!
Quote from mattlikespeoples :
and to fonnybone-HURRY UP ON THAT S2 ALPHA LFSTweak!!!!!!!!!

I know you was only joking (hence the smilie), but Fonnybone makes LFSTweak by himself, its just as much work as the devs have to cope with imo, so he should also take his time.
sounds like you have given into NFSU2 quite honestly

for me, i would be what you would call a racing purist, yes i may enjoy looking at some tuned cars and whatnot, but i dont believe in unfair races.. either you let them defeat you or you join them.. but fighting doesnt accomplish anything.

anyways, things such as interchangable spoilers is just another one of those great things that leads to no advantage at all (if anything its a disadvantage) in your case its a very awful reason for "looks" which isnt what LFS is trying to accomplish, so basically what would happen here is people would make these beastly cars and then just go around beating everyone into the ground who have no advantage.. and once again, that just leads to corruption once again

and one last thing about some of those.. i fear that would attract the wrong crowd
Please, don't add engine tuning to LFS. Fine tuning the suspension to suit your driving style is great, but adding all sorts of moddability to the engine is just going to stack races in favor of those who have the "best mods". Eventually everyone will download the "best" engine setup and we'll be right back to where we are now, but with a huge increase in complexity.

Let's keep it simple and leave the car's powertrains as they are.
#8 - Woz
Quote from Dasser :Why not make it possible to tweak the engine???
Like lower or raise turbo boost, on turbo cars, more boost makes the engine heat go up and wears the engine over short time, and lower boost makes the engine last longer, maybe...
And tweak of the camshafts intake/exhaust.
Idle rpms and top rpms.
And adjustments for the fuel pump...
Just simple or advanced engine tuning...
And maybe upgrades to buy for the racing credits, turbo, performans upgrades.
And the possibility of changing spoilers or adding spoilers for better looks and traction.

No no no...... Car upgrading and the like is fine offline if you like the GT4 pokemon style of game (Car collection etc) where you don't need skill to win the races because you just upgrade your car to be faster than the AI but online it sucks.

What is better... You win the race knowing all the cars have the same performance and its your skill as a driver that got the win or the fact you have more credits (Or have found a cheat/hack) so you have all the best bits and you only win because you have the faster car.

If you want the second option why not just use a faster car then everyone else in the race is using as its much the same!

BTW, there was a cheat out for rFactor DAY ONE that allowed you to upgrade your car fully so what is the point.

As for car looks with stupid body kits, wings, spoilers etc. Grow up. Next you will be telling us you have cut your suspension spring on your car down so low it is sat on the end stops because it looks cool.
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
The idea is not so bad as it is treated.
One good thing about LFS is the ability to optimize a lot of things - in the chassis. So asking why nothing can be done in the engine is a very valid question.

Of course I would hate to have to buy things. I dont want to see any dollar sign in the whole game.

But why not include an small engine section where some simple things can be optimized?
For example the torque curve could be set pronounced and high at a certain engine speed or broader and not peaking so high. modifying the intake section does that.

There could be a setting for fuel mixture (that would only be useful in long races, but why not)
Rich mixture would mean higher power and less mileage!
It is done in F1.

Or a booster setting for the turbos?
If I can ruin an engine by overrevving why not by overboosting?
Perhaps a mild effect (loss of one cylinder maybe) ?

Two or three options would add to the realism of the game!
What for?

Engine damage...sure
Engine tuning...nooo!
Would not like to see this at all. Setting maximum RPM would be a good option for the racing cars, but playing with boost etc would deter me from the game big time.

I like being able to fine tune suspensions and gears etc to suit your own personal driving style, but modifying the engine is a no no to me personally. Partly because i would be clueless where to start, and secondly because it would give too much of an advantage to those knowledgeable in engines.

Leaving the engine alone ensures that a fair race is possible when ytou have your gears etc set up properly.
Quote from Stellios :Would not like to see this at all. Setting maximum RPM would be a good option for the racing cars, but playing with boost etc would deter me from the game big time.

I like being able to fine tune suspensions and gears etc to suit your own personal driving style, but modifying the engine is a no no to me personally. Partly because i would be clueless where to start, and secondly because it would give too much of an advantage to those knowledgeable in engines.

Leaving the engine alone ensures that a fair race is possible when ytou have your gears etc set up properly.

EXACTLY!
You are now Tristans friend .
Quote from Thomas Fink :
If I can ruin an engine by overrevving why not by overboosting?

because race cars which are allowed higher than atmosphereic manifold pressure have a "pop-off" valve to ensure they don't exceed a preset maximum pressure.

though it might be interesting if over revving allowed for you to pop the pop-off valve and you lost precious seconds while it reseated itself.

speedfreak227
Quote from speedfreak227 :because race cars which are allowed higher than atmosphereic manifold pressure have a "pop-off" valve to ensure they don't exceed a preset maximum pressure.

though it might be interesting if over revving allowed for you to pop the pop-off valve and you lost precious seconds while it reseated itself.

speedfreak227

Exactly what I was gonna say

So far only thing that I might be accepting is that the cars would have some changeable part that don't change any of the car's specs. Like wings with different kinds of shapes and rims (changeable inside he game) for ecample. But I wouldn't want any tuning stuff in LFS - most of those tuning cars look just overdone and childish to me
Someone earlier in this thread reminded me of one thing in a motorcycle game (GP500). There was engine selection - 3 engines: high-revving&high-powered(at the peak only) one, one with broader powerband but with less top power and one somewhere between*. This, i think, could be added some day (s4? ). IMO it would(could?) add to the racing experience - if one guy chooses the high-powered one and the other one the low-end, one will be slightly faster on straights, but will supposedly lose time in slower, tighter sections. This should not influence the total performance (well, ok, choosing the low-powered one for tracks with long straights would be suicide etc.), but rather racing strategy. That ofcourse is wishful thinking and would require the differences between engines to be well thought out...
Ok, that's the end, flame away

cheers,
maczo

* - three different engines for one car would be strange, so let's say these would be called engine setups (cams, intake or whatever) for the sake of realism
The only race series I know of that uses pop off valves on the turbos to limit pressure to a level set by their rules is indycar, and it works on the principle that if the limit is reached the valve opens and lets all the boost go, then closes so they loose all their boost for a while slowing them down. I don't think there are boost pressure limits in other race series, but all turbocharged engines should have some kind of overpressure protection valve to protect the engine.
If this stuff ended up in LFS it'd turn into Gran Turismo/NFSU/Midnight Club, where the most modded car wins everything - in fact you need all the hot bits to win at all, the further you go - and then I think loads of people would quit playing.

LFS is a driving sim and demands that your skill get you across the line first, not your after-market accessories.

But having said that I would like some fluffy dice for my UF1000.
#20 - Gunn
If engine tuning and mods were in LFS, I would stop playing. Fair racing would go out the window and we'd have to endure all the silly questions and confusion about which tuning is best for which car on which track. People who understood the tuning system would excell, and those who can't grasp it would fail dismally in comparison. Say goodbye to a lot of racers.
Yup. I'd probably lose interest. There's already enough to collect in the way of skins, setups and layouts as well as many other assorted unofficial addons - one or two of which would make good substitutes for the kind of mod mentioned here.

Funny how this type of suggestion generally gets shot down pretty fast, yet people keep bringing it up anyway. I'm guessing it's in the Suggestions Log already, and probably more than once. Makes me wonder if anyone reads the Log before posting
Mapping
I agree with that having modifications fot lfs is a bad idea, if u want that nfsu is there for that, but i think as was said earlier, changing engine mapping so u can change power band and torque curve would b good as means then culd change this to the different tracks and driving styles eg - u cant always keep sum cars in the high revs where the power is, so might be good to lower power band so easier to stay in. This isnt reli modifiying the enigne just changin its characteristics. Altho it may deter people who dont no bout engines, altho changin 2 simple curves isnt hard to learn.
Thats my view anyway.
Probably not a bad idea in theory, but I think the best thing is to keep it simple engine-wise, not just for the drivers' sakes (there are probably plenty of guys like me who know how to work the car but have no idea exactly how the car works ) but for SEV's sake too. Making engine characteristics would probably mean more work for the devs and (possibly) longer waiting times for LFS players, and noone wants that

I don't know that much about engine mapping and that stuff so, out of personal interest, would changing those characteristics make much more difference to your lap time than a good suspension setting and the right gearing (not to mention good driving, fuel load, tyre choice)? I know it does make a difference but would it actually be worth including in LFS?
I think I agree with Hankstar it wouldn't be worth having the ability to adjust engine tuning, too much confusion and disadvantage for those who don't care for knowing too much detail of how an engine works. Much better to allow people to change suspension and tyres, as the engine is already pretty much set in advance of race testing of setups, so it would just over complicate things.
Everyone who said No to engine tweaking/modding is right. I know that I will repeat what was already said,but... I must say it. \

LFS is about racing, and racing is about skills, car control, using the brain, estimating the right speed in the corners etc, not about holding the N2O key down. That's how EA "racing" series shows it. Who wants moddded engine with N2O, airslamming turbo, precise set fuel mixture and timing, then he have to look for another game.

NFS/Tuning mania just hit the world hard and a lot of "racers" see the magic of racing in 750HP engine. So let them tune theirs arcade-based hi-poly "rides" and lets get XF GTI, I bet we'll have much better time than tuners

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG