The online racing simulator
Quote from Bob Smith :So custom designs would affect the physics, and thus not be multiplayer compatible.

Give me a break. So would different tyre brands (and you can even choose these). And different decals (skins) would have an effect on aerodynamics... and the weight of the paint is different, too.

Guys, the no-no-arguments more and more appear to be heavily sought after.

Would you really go and say that LFS is unrealistic just because different looking wheels (same dimensions and same weight) drive the same? Come on... this is getting ridiculous.
Errrr, what?

ATM LFS uses the weight of the wheels in the overall calculations of the weight etc - this means you can't just set "changeable wheels" to "multiplayer compatible", it does need (a fairly small amount of) work to do.
As Jack says, the spoke designs are physically modelled. The paint job and tyre brands are just textures.
So you're telling me that BeSpoking a wheel that has more spokes and thicker rims actually has an effect on the car? Because the few times I used it I never noticed any change. I guess they're so small it probably doesn't make much difference.
Seems utterly pointless if there's only one kind of wheel for each car anyway.

And even if it did, there's no need for it. Assign a standard value (or extract the details from the default wheels) and make that the design-independent wheel physics values.
Quote from Dajmin :
And even if it did, there's no need for it. Assign a standard value (or extract the details from the default wheels) and make that the design-independent wheel physics values.

That's EXACTLY what I meant.
it would still be time invested in an unneeded feature.
Personally, I think it (optional choice of wheels) is an easy to design feature that wouldn't be hard to implement and many would find adds value to their LFS experience. I don't see the big deal really, it's just a bit of variety.

2c
Quote from Gunn :Personally, I think it (optional choice of wheels) is an easy to design feature that wouldn't be hard to implement and many would find adds value to their LFS experience. I don't see the big deal really, it's just a bit of variety.

2c

Completely agree.

Just set a wheel to a set weight and something for each car (as is probbably now) and just let people texture them.
lol i been playing LFS for years now and the game has started to become boring a limited for me but thats NO excuse to have this kind of stuff to be brought into such a great RACING SIM. Personaly i loved street legal 1/2 for them exact options but the driving and racing was appaling.

Allso i know quiet a few race cars that have differnt ecu maps and boost curves for qly/wet/race and it works well for them but thats still no reason to have such options in lfs.

I would love a game where i could map the injector dutie and fully program a cars ecu and boost curves and do everything that you can in real life but im affraid a game with that much tuning content would lack in other aera's IE the fun side of driving.

rant over
I honestly doubt Scavier could deny that a relatively small choice of well made wheels for each car wouldn't detract from LFS' appeal.
Attached images
BBS11_AndylecEdit.jpg
besprims.jpg
Hmm, vare naic!
Quote from Breizh :I honestly doubt Scavier could deny that a relatively small choice of well made wheels for each car would detract from LFS' appeal.

Well, that rules out your wheels
I think they're fab, for a 5min job
Why not just have an option on servers to allow these modifications? This way servers could keep racing fair, and people who want to mod their cars for fun can do it with like minded people... just an idea :spin:
Quote from Breizh :I think they're fab, for a 5min job

But they cut into the calipers! lol The bottom right picture looks decent. But if the devs were to implement this then there would be people with wheels that are really ugly (even uglier then yours :P).
The contest scheme is probably guaranteed to give the devs at least 4-5 very good and different shapes per car. So not everyone would have to have ugly rims
The only outstanding problem would be the different physics. They could just cancel that part of the physics (since wheels don't deform) by giving all wheel shapes the same physics that our present wheels have; there wouldn't even be any incompatibility with that part of the update.

I think it's worth doing. Those who don't care either way couldn't complain that it saps dev time, because all the devs would do is cull the submissions that don't meet the minimum criteria (e.g. shape clips with calipers, or too unrealistic design), and then let the votes decide.
mhm
i see some good points on both sides, but i do think it would be cool if you could have 2 leagues kind of like demo, not demo, modded, un modded, or even 200 hp-250 or something like that, it could be done and it would be fun, but maybe you could have it so the engine tweaks cannot be sent to other people or some stuff like that
Damage
I think the keywords to the engine tunning/tweaking question are: DAMAGE, RELYABILITY and CONSISTENCE. A agressive tuned engine will not last long and will be harder to drive. Maybe the damage system will have to act in long term, the engine could crash after... don't know... 4 races? 2 races? that will depend on the engine tunning and most important, the way the driver uses the engine. If you overrev the engine, you may improve your lap time, but you are going to raise your engine temperature, and reduce the life and maybe the performance of the engine components... I think even if no engine tunning is implemented, the engine damage system have to be improved, for instance, you can put in neutral or hold the clutch, drop the hammer on the gas pedal, stay like this for the all day, and nothing but running out of fuel will happen, even the engine temperature won't change. I think a realistic engine is a must-have in LFS, the best car simulator ever!
No. All of the cars in LFS are race tuned, that's why they're on a race track and not public roads. Some of them are race-tuned road cars, but they'll still already have "aggressively tuned" engines because - strangely enough - the designers would want them to win.

I do think that abusive driving should result in engine failures though. I did want random mechanical failures a while back, but realised that it'd be really frustrating to have this happen for no reason. And we have disconnects to simulate that anyway But part wear and breakage from driving style? Absolutely.
A part wear/performance drop/failure, should be added. It will only contribute to LFS realism and enjoyment, we all know that if in real life, we can't keep pushing the engine to it's limit all the time, to preserve the integrity of the car components is a very important part of the racer strategy, we can try to earn that extra points in a race, but we know that we are going to risc the equipment, or we may be confortable with our position in a race, and start saving the equipment. It should be very well implemented, and adjusted, to prevent LFS to loosing or disapointing it's public...
I wonder we could have a beta patch soon, so we can start helping to develop and adjust a wear/performance drop/failure system.
The majority of races are just short 10-minute sprint races though - unless there was some kind of career mode to keep track of the wear on the parts (which is a totally different argument) you'd have to drive like a madman to damage parts in that time without resorting to unfair random failures.
that would be nice to do.
Quote from Dasser :Why not make it possible to tweak the engine???

Oh boy...

You haven't understood the meaning about the word "simulation" have you? I think you're much better off playing NFS or Project Torque

Quote from Dasser :And the possibility of changing spoilers or adding spoilers for better looks

:wtf2:
This actually amazes me. Engine tweaking and Damage is fine. But everyone should be able to start on the same level. Things that increase performance directly should not be implemented, but things that help suit you style may be.

What I am thinking is like increasing the redline to better use the power curves, etc. In actuality, you can already lower the power of your engine, (car in general) in current versions of LFS by cutting down on the air intake (in %) in the 'general' section of the car after the car selection menu.

Engine damage, and stuff like that actually interest me. It sounds like a wonderful idea. It makes us better drivers in general. I remember how I over revved my XRG in I think T1, is it called, to second gear like 40 km/h over the 7k rev limit, where there after, I had no power at all. - Shut Up - It has lots of power, right =D.

In fact, what I've been thinking of (which maybe a good idea, I know some S2erz may think it is a dumbass idea, cause they have S2 already) , is to set up a program in a variety of servers for demo-ers, where everytime you pit and get new tyres, refuel, you pay maybe 5 cents, which goes towards an S2 license, for demo people of course. This may help many of us towards and S2 License slowly, and it will help us learn better driving styles, to preserve tyres, not to be too agressive on our turns thus not crashing, not to over rev our engines all in all, driving our cars like how we would in real life. And what would be good, as many people have said, is where we would need to keep our cars in their current shape and damage. Again, this would serve difficult as the games are run on independent servers.
1. Altering redlines - it's the same for everyone, and hence is fair for everyone. No need to change it to suit a style.

2. Engine Damage - would be nice, as long as it's not too random, or not too easy (or difficult) to achieve damage.

3. Every time you make a pistop, but five cents in a tin by your monitor. Hey presto, you've made this program yourself!!! Asking Paypal to send five cents to your licence every time you pit isn't going to endear yourself to Paypal or LFS, but will be loved by people interested in hacking your account details out of it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG