The online racing simulator
Quote from Tobias :wohoo, let's do some fine tuning to some sounds. it's great

Well if you edit the waves you could make the UF1 sound like a monster truck if you wanted to =P
I actually beat a few of my pb's with this, and blew out a friend's laptop speakers..
Thanks for letting us edit this Scawen.
I've made a nice sound for the FO8 but i get a bit of clipping with 11 AI - it sounds so good on the downshifts with a track-side camera though

(I will post it if anyone wants it)
Quote from Leifde :I've made a nice sound for the FO8 but i get a bit of clipping with 11

try reducing the exhaust volume (2nd to last slider in the exhaust settings iirc) it will reduce the clipping without changing the tone
Quote from Leifde :I've made a nice sound for the FO8 but i get a bit of clipping with 11 AI - it sounds so good on the downshifts with a track-side camera though

Please post, I was experimenting with the FO8 yesterday and I got it sounding quite cool except when in low gear
Quote from joen :Please post

Agreed. I am too lazy to expirement with it myself
Previews of the sound would be appreciated too since, I don't want to have crappy sounds
Quote from Leifde :I've made a nice sound for the FO8 but i get a bit of clipping with 11 AI - it sounds so good on the downshifts with a track-side camera though

Please post.

any chance of a youtube vid??? would be intrested to hear what it sounds like
Just tried recording it with Fraps and my FPS dropped to 1, so no youtube vid

Disclaimer: This is a sound that I like and sounds at least semi-realistic from my experiences of the World Series By Renault. If you don't think it's realistic then fine, but I like it
Attached files
FO8_woo.rar - 109.8 KB - 310 views
Quote from Scawen :No, it wasn't meant to be found. We decided not to document the editor before the sound system was finished. If we provide a documented feature then it becomes my duty to try to protect your data (allowing old versions to still be loaded as the system is updated) and so on. But as the sound system changes, old files often become invalid, because their data was designed for an older system.

So, if you use the sound editor system, please regard it as an undocumented feature that is not supported by us - and be prepared for the fact that your sound files will probably become invalidated at some point by a patch or test patch which contains sound improvements. And assume that I won't answer any questions on this either - it's an editor for a system that is still work in progress.

Anyway... for those want to try editing and don't mind their work being deleted, I hope you have fun using the editor!

So can we avoid that sound files will probably become invalidated after patching when we switch back to default configuration?
Quote from 510N3D :So can we avoid that sound files will probably become invalidated after patching when we switch back to default configuration?

I think what Scawen is saying is that the system is still being developed. Changes that you make now *may* be incompatible (i.e. won't work) after future patches. It's up to YOU if you want to develop new sounds, as long as you understand this.

It's like hotlapping.. bear in mind that, in future incompatible patches, your hotlaps will be wiped. If you don't want to spend the time hotlapping, knowing this, that's entirely your decision. Same with the sounds

[edit] I just realised I said nothing more than Scawen already said! LOL!

Did I answer the wrong question?
So, will someone post some MP3 or a YouTube video of your edit's?
I don't have time nor patience to edit them myself, but i am wondering what can be achieved with this..
Quote from 510N3D :So can we avoid that sound files will probably become invalidated after patching when we switch back to default configuration?

the default files are usually updated with every patch ... so as long as scawen has made precautions that the game will still run fine with an invalid older .eng file you can always go back to the sound editor and choose the new default file
Hmmm. The exhaust pulse sample doesn't seem to work as I would have thought. In fact its pretty useless. For example I used the gear change sound for the engine pulse sample (lol), and there was very little change. Just a slight increase in volume. I'm not entirely sure how that sample is used. Scawen?
I did some changes in XR GT sounds, but I'm not happy with it yet, wind volume is no increasing properly during speed increase.

Anyway I like it now better than what it was originally, I put it here for you to test, but it can be that it does not sound any good in your systems even it sounds nice on my system.
Attached files
XRG_jt.zip - 163.6 KB - 20007 views
Quote from SamH :I think what Scawen is saying is that the system is still being developed. Changes that you make now *may* be incompatible (i.e. won't work) after future patches. It's up to YOU if you want to develop new sounds, as long as you understand this.

It's like hotlapping.. bear in mind that, in future incompatible patches, your hotlaps will be wiped. If you don't want to spend the time hotlapping, knowing this, that's entirely your decision. Same with the sounds

[edit] I just realised I said nothing more than Scawen already said! LOL!

Did I answer the wrong question?

yes / no / maybe

thanks anyway & cheers
We can only change things in a very crude way, changing various volume levels will do nothing but make the sounds different, not more realistic or better, just different.

The real changes I hope are coming later, and all the tinkering will not make any difference, but If you get enjoyment from it go for it .
Quote from JohnPenn :all the tinkering will not make any difference, but If you get enjoyment from it go for it .

I'm getting HUGE enjoyment out of tinkering, I have to say! It's fun to experiment.. and it's a challenge to not cause clipping. I'm not so worried about a little clipping.. it actually sounds quite meaty.. as long as you don't get a "reflective" wave, which cancels itself out! Such great fun, though!
This is pretty cool... but not sure exactly how .wav files are supposed to be used (mine threw a 'wav too long' error and the exported original was just a blip). The one thing it does need however is a 'reverb' and 'echo' setting that you can set to -100 as nothing I changed on the XRT would lose the echo / reverb effects (even in open space on the track). Needs to be more options down the line too I think for back pressure and the likes.

That said, I understand it's a WIP and did have some fun trying to tweak the XRT although had to kill the turbo sound as it sounded like a kid trying to whistle with no front teeth

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :it sounded like a kid trying to whistle with no front teeth

hehehe!!

Yeah, it's a wip.. what an easter egg, though. I don't care if the changes I make get wiped, I'll have fun all over again as it's developed further
It shows potential and nice to see some of the "inner workings" of the sound engine. I've always thought any sample-based game sounded better than LFS BUT have also thought that eventually, when all worked worked out, the LFS engine will ultimately provide the best method in the future and I'm all for "thinking outside the box" so to speak so the method used in LFS has always been interesting

The only issue I've really come across is trying to separate (as much as can be anyway) the engine and exhaust. It's like it's just a single sound played at a very slightly different note with some reverb added.. I haven't yet been able to find any kind of real sound for an exhaust (thinking along the lines of induction and a straight-through exhaust system).. it's all just muffled and bassy (and far far too echoey!).

As for updates.. I guess it depends on how Scawen is able (or wants to) implement them. It'll be no different IMO from creating setups. If something changes to any degree in the physics, setups will need to either be tweaked or scrapped and started again.

The best part IMO is it's something new and something "modable". This should rekindle some people's interests a bit that perhaps thought things had gone a bit stale (just going by what I read from some posts here) especially as the sound has always been the biggest downside to LFS and the one of the least accessible areas for editing . Also shows the people that need it that even though there's not daily updates that a fair bit of work is still being done behind the scenes

One thing I really would love to see included regarding sound is rumble noise! It's a real let down to drive over the curbs (which are all of saw-tooth kind according to the graphical representation of the car bobbling about) and not hear a thing. To me atm, thats more important than developing some of the other sound areas as it's quite vital IMO for audible feedback purposes.

Anyways.. will definitely be interesting to see where this heads in the future as more development is done to it

Regards,

Ian
So is anyone willing to start trading around there sound setups I reworked the GTR's, openwheelers and a few others. Mostly made them abit louder and beefer/raspy except the Fz50 I made it sound like a ferrari
Quote from Infiniti :So is anyone willing to start trading around there sound setups I reworked the GTR's, openwheelers and a few others. Mostly made them abit louder and beefer/raspy except the Fz50 I made it sound like a ferrari

Oh nice can you upload Ferrari I want it please. This is so awesome.
Quote from Ian.H :It shows potential and nice to see some of the "inner workings" of the sound engine. I've always thought any sample-based game sounded better than LFS BUT have also thought that eventually, when all worked worked out, the LFS engine will ultimately provide the best method in the future and I'm all for "thinking outside the box" so to speak so the method used in LFS has always been interesting

http://www.performancesimulati ... ineSimAudioComparison.wmv

This Todd Wasson's sound engine shows well the potential LFS has though long way to go... don't know how much more complex this is than LFS's engine but at least it sounds much more like real engine.

Real-time Engine Sound Editor
(221 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG