The online racing simulator
That's pretty cool! I did notice playing with the header and collector sliders in the sound editor made quite a bit of difference, almost from a 4-stroke bike engine up to a growling v8.

Should be fun to keep experimenting

Regards,

Ian
Well I'm actually a little disappointed to be honest. Yes I can get the sounds to be a little better. BUT, without clipping of any kind, they still don't sound that good. Anyone remember the raspiness of the RAC at low revs pre-v? How did Scawen manage that? We need to try and get some raspiness back in there again. None of the sliders will make the engines "raspy".
:bullwhip: :banghead: <----- DaveWS

I tried to fiddle, but couldn't find any engine samples that were 0.002 seconds !!!! :guilty:
#129 - Don
Quote from DaveWS :Well I'm actually a little disappointed to be honest. Yes I can get the sounds to be a little better. BUT, without clipping of any kind, they still don't sound that good. Anyone remember the raspiness of the RAC at low revs pre-v? How did Scawen manage that? We need to try and get some raspiness back in there again. None of the sliders will make the engines "raspy".

i dont really know what "raspy" means, but i imagine it like this: http://don.vn.cz/temp/lfs/hmm2.mp3 (xr gt)
open up the headers and you can get the raspyness, i got the RAC to sound really good last night

unfortunately i got alot of sound clipping
Can Scawen, or rather Victor cause he manages the forum I think? Could they allow .eng type files to be attachments because it'd make it much easier for us to upload our tinkered creations on the forum.
Can I ask a question please? What causes the clipping? Is it a limitation of LFS itself? If so, is that something that can be improved upon, or is it a stuck limit?

Because I can get clipping without the volume being that high, and I always imagined clipping is when the top or bottom of the waveform goes above what's allowed.

I don't know much about sounds and sound generation though.
You got the cause of the problem just right.
Reduce exhaust volume, increase speaker volume.

Vain
@XCNuse: The reason that you managed to get it to sound raspy, is BECAUSE of the clipping. It's not actually generated. It's distortion. If you reduce the volume so there is no "clipping", then there will be no raspiness. I thought that would be obvious but there we go.
Clipping is bad for your speakers too, plus generally sounds horrible if your ears work.
Clipping in LFS isn't actually bad for your speakers, if it was, listening to rock music with distorted guitars would be bad as well. It would only be bad if your speakers clipped themselves.
The only bad thing about the clipping in LFS is the message.

I agree somewhat to the fact that clipping in LFS makes the engine sound better, but I also disagree. It gives the engine an extra growl to it, but real engines don't give out a clipped sound either. What we just need is more grunt/raspiness. (The higher frequencies).
Quote from (SaM) :Clipping in LFS isn't actually bad for your speakers, if it was, listening to rock music with distorted guitars would be bad as well. It would only be bad if your speakers clipped themselves.
The only bad thing about the clipping in LFS is the message.

Yeah, LFS says it's clipping, but my speakers are nowhere near their limits when it does, which is why I asked if it was an LFS problem. I would have thought a sound generating program could theoretically do any volume and the only limiting factor would be speaker clipping, but this isn't the case.

And it does sound good when there is clipping in there.
It's not your speakers that are clipping, read here:
Quote from Wikipedia :In digital signal processing, clipping occurs when the signal is restricted by the range of a chosen representation. For example in a system using 16-bit signed integers, 32767 is the largest positive value that can be represented, and if during processing the amplitude of the signal is doubled, sample values of 32000 should become 64000, but instead they are truncated to the maximum, 32767. Clipping is preferable to the alternative in digital systems — wrapping — which occurs if the digital hardware is allowed to "overflow", ignoring the most significant bits of the magnitude, and sometimes even the sign of the sample value, resulting in terrible modification of the signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C ... audio%29#Digital_clipping

To solve this, you have to lower the engine sound in LFS so it's in the (digital) range and increase the volume of your (analogue) speakers.
you have to type in:
/edit_eng
then hit shift-A are you typing it with the underscore or not?

@dave, i figured thats what it was, but it wasn't enough to get the message to pop up
owell.. and yes i noticed turning the volume down ingame would change it, but.. whatever
do you have patch v? is so, it's disabled to demo users - good job scawen!

EDIT - Just ran my test copy of LFS in demo mode, it works - your doing something wrong, do you have Patch V?
Think about sounds you hear when you travel on a car, then you notice that tire and wind noises are quite loud compared to engine noise, imo, default settings for road cars do have this level wrong as if you cruise 2000rpm and 100kph there is more engine noise than any other.

I think that many that have tuned engine sounds have gone to same error and that is why they get clipping, reducing exhaust volume should help, just need to adjust other levels accordingly.

Full throttle sound level of course is much louder and at 100kph on some cars it easily overcomes wind and road noise, but when doing 180kph there is not many road cars that have engine noise so loud that it would be more dominant than wind and road noise.

Here comes also limitations of current sound engine setup, wind noise does not increase enough with speed, you can adjust volume levels from this menu, from other in game settings and from speakers, so that it is fine at higher speeds, but at low speed there is then too much, or then you don't get enough that noise on high speeds.

Race cars, I really don't even care how it is, there is so much more things like health issues coming into play that it does not matter if those are rather unrealistic in this matter.

Good answer from GP4Flo about clipping.
I have found that adjusting the sound while playing a replay gets the best sound, instead of just sitting stationary and revving it.
Quote from Al4traZ :ah its with the V version.. i have the old Q again

Hmmm, I wonder why he is using Q? :bananadea
yeah Im having the same problem here too:hidesbehi

I have an S2 license and all and updated the patch yesterday but nope invalid commandillepall
You have to be out on the track for it to work. Don't know if that's the reason some aren't getting it to happen?

Regards,

Ian
a really quick trial ... could use some input if this is remotely the right direction
Attached files
LX4_n.rar - 145.9 KB - 269 views
Quote from Ian.H :You have to be out on the track for it to work. Don't know if that's the reason some aren't getting it to happen?

Regards,

Ian

yeah i tried on fern bay and BL GP already but does it work without the new patch V? Because Im not 100% percent sure the new patch was installed

shotglass where do I put that?? :/
Quote from muffinman :yeah i tried on fern bay and BL GP already but does it work without the new patch V? Because Im not 100% percent sure the new patch was installed

i guess it works with u32+ ... you can see your version number at the bottom in the main menu
if its u go to a track, press t, typre /edit_eng, press shift-a and the menu should come up

Quote :shotglass where do I put that?? :/

/data/engine and then load it with the button at the top of the shift-a menu while driving the lx4 (extract it first of course)
I hope its ok to upload ENG files in this thread.

Its for the UF1, XFG and FZ5

The uf1 kinda sound like a small no turbo rallycar, like suzuki swift
the xfg is kinda "ricey" sounding with raspy exhaust
and the fz5 sounds a bit like a tuned porsche

edit: uploaded a new XFG file, its a bit "ricier" than the first one, its the Test2 file
Attached files
FZ5_Test.eng - 272.1 KB - 396 views
XFG_Test.eng - 270.9 KB - 392 views
UF1_Rally.eng - 270.9 KB - 425 views
XFG_Test2.eng - 270.9 KB - 429 views

Real-time Engine Sound Editor
(221 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG