The online racing simulator
UPDATE : Patch V
(186 posts, started )
"I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time."
Much better, actually. Thanks for the patch, great work!

Happy holidays!
Quote :I'm having trouble unlocking LFS. I type all the info in and tell it to unlock, but it can't connect to the master server.

Me too,never had any trouble registering anything else
It was Norton blocking it. Easily fixed.
Dont have norton or any other av running
Anyone else been having problems with the speedometer giving false readings when braking from high speeds? I've braked down to what I thought was 100KM/PH only to find that I'm actually doing 120KM/PH when entering a corner and end up in the grass as a result
Quote from PCCD :Anyone else been having problems with the speedometer giving false readings when braking from high speeds? I've braked down to what I thought was 100KM/PH only to find that I'm actually doing 120KM/PH when entering a corner and end up in the grass as a result

Apparantly the old speedo gave you readings like a GPS unit. It told you exactly how fast you are going. Now it tells you how fast you are going based on how fast the wheels are actualy moving, like a real car.
A big Cheers to all concerned for V. Unfortunately heading down to Engerlund for xmas so won`t be able to play with it for at least the next 5 days... :sadbanana

On (very) brief first impressions... (I`ve got a lot of packing/organising to do ) -

The sound engine looks more promising. Yeah, there`s definitely some bad sounds happening in there, but at least we have more layers now, so that`ll advance as more sounds are mapped to various virtual mechanical parts/functions. I`ve worked on sfx/music projects with loads of coders before so I know synthesised sounds are a total bitch to implement in games even tho they can be a lot more accurate and descriptive for the purpose. They just take a horrendous amount of time and sweat to make them both generally acceptable and totally useable. (for anyone that just generally bitches about the current sound situation, you don`t have a clue. It means the devs are utterly dedicated to getting the most realistic driving experience possible, including a totally realistic audio response from each major audible part of the car. Just be patient on the sfx front )

The FO8 and BF1 seem to grip less at the rear. I aint got enough time to look into it much, but on the tracks I usually run them on, they don`t immediately seem to handle as well at all. I noticed the new steering controls in the garage setup screen (lock values for the car, and your own current wheel values), and I know the main control options, etc have changed somewhat, as well as the increased steps in the FFB (it does feel different and seems to be more alive/responsive with less apparently noticeable FFB lag) so it may just be that.

The inclusion of the scripting in the release patch is great. I added two tiny lines in the MRT, FOX, FO8, and BF1 scripts, and now I only need to twist my G25`s H>Seq knob to transit between the two control modes, whereas before I had to fiddle about reassigning buttons 8 and 9 every time I wanted to change modes. Glad to see the BF1 has a default auto clutch as it would lose so much time flooring the pedal for every gear change, whereas the FO8, FOX and MRT stay with the manual clutch

I also use a ton of mods, mainly gfx (both released, and my own) and they`ve all integrated fine with the V patch. Car Horn mods didn`t work immediately as they were raw files and stored in a different named folder, but it was less than 10 seconds work to convert them to signed 16-bit mono wavs, and dump them all in the new "sound" folder.

All in all. A good patch. Many immediately useable improvements, very minor incompatability problems (the "snd" > "sound" dir, that was my only noticeable problem and my install is seriously modded). There are no noticeable gfx updates, as the community has been providing many of them so they aren`t essential atm, so most dev time seems to have gone into an updated sound engine, and useable gameplay/bugfix updates. All in all, it`s still looking to be the single most realistic driving game available on any platform.

Hey, it`s christmas, and even tho I`d usually say "Bah, bloody humbug" I`ll give the guys an honest 10/10 overall. It`s useful, relevant, and as compatible with the existing game structure as you could ask for. Devs, and (un)official beta testers... Have an extra deep filled mince pie, brandy (or alkyhol of your choice) on me.
Devs, thanks for all of your hard work from U to V. I have followed all the test patches and have very much enjoyed what I've seen (and heard). The sounds are certainly going in the right direction and the other fixes are very nice.

It's good that you've been able to tick off so many little things from your list .. eg Vista compatibility. I look forward to the release of S2 full and can't wait for the next major improvements.

Thanks and Merry Christmas all !!
I just spent the evening racing online with the new sounds.
I love the fox in the heat of the battle. Great feedback from the engine.

The RB4 is bit like playing a wah-wah pedal. Not in an entirely unpleasant way. I nearly mastered Hendrix's Voodoo Chile Intro on the blackwood rally track.

I did not see any problems with the online performance. Very smooth performance in all areas.

Looking forward to some mind blowing sound improvements in the future, but this is a great improvement in the meantime.
I wish to see one day instead of news regarding Vista
Quote from Scawen :RPM packages with native Linux binaries are downloadable

Great patch and merry christmas to LFS developers and testers!
Quote from troy :did you try these tire sounds already (dont give up so early : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=288906#post288906
i even had to lower them a bit to fit it in and i couldnt race anymore without them

there is U32 standing but works fine with V also ofcourse

Uuuh, thanks for the heads up! Only listened to the samples so far, but sounds promising... I'm off to bed now, but will give them a go tomorrow
nice work scawen and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Fixed it, apparently having Zone Alarm OFF, caused it
Thanks alot for this gift
Keep on rocking guys, and thanks for the Victorpatch
Quote from RAYfighter :

And now a picky question from me: I was hoping for a /canreset=no to be working in patch V for a DEDI server already. But it seems that you can still reset your car eventhough this option is set to "no" in my server setup.cfg. Am I doing anything wrong?

No, that is all programmed but not active because it requires an incompatible version. That option will be in the next incompatible version, along with other physics and multiplayer changes. And before anyone asks, it is not possible to give any kind of estimate about when that will be, or a list of features, because that is unknown.

Quote from AndRand :I like the autoupdate - there will be no problem with patches' incompability in future (and it is good to have an option to download it manually)

On the question some people have asked about providing manual downloads for people who can't use the automatic updater, my guess is this will be possible, for the big steps, for example, Patch V to Patch W. But if we do minor updates in between, e.g. a texture update or some engine sounds, we will not provide manual patches. Anyway, the automatic download patches are accessible by normal http download at the moment. Basically I don't know what we'll do but don't worry about it.
Thanks a lot for new patch and happy christmas.
Thank you! Eric, Scawen and Victor :lovies3d:
thank you guys, have a merry christmas!
Quote from Scawen :Hello Racers!

A new patch and full version is available on our website. The patch upgrades any U version to V. It's a self extracting archive, so simply download it into your LFS folder and double-click it to extract.

There are a lot of improvements in V as those of you who have followed the test patches already know.

Thanks to all those community members and beta testers who participated in the testing process, to get us to this stage with a reliable and strong version. Thanks also for the translators who have kept all 23 official translations up to date!

Some important updates :

Smoother online racing
Car sound improvements
Automatic update system
Compatible with Windows Vista
Improved support for S1 racers
New script system (details below)
Fixes and improvements in all areas

And you can read the full list of updates here :

www.liveforspeed.net/?page=patch_v

Have fun!

Happy Christmas!

Wonder what the next step is after you had a break.
Thank you and Merry Christmas!
I'm hope some friends get some good FF wheels or G25s this Christmas and I can get them some late presents of LFS as gifts with the new V patch!

Great work all!
I need some help, having problems with the new patch.
I got a Saitek R440 wheel with pedal I belive, and one problem came with the new patch. Everything works fine, steering etc, but the DAMNED auto gears (lol I am a nub yes) dont work =/ Even if I press shift+g to it says auto gear mode, or go into the options and press it, it simply just don`t shift the damn gears!
And a other thing I noticed was that the x-axe, that probally is the clutch (not sure, and I don`t have a clutch pedal on my pedals eighter) allways are half full. And when I trottle I therfor get much less power when acelerating..
Hope someone can help me =/

Edit : stupid me, setting the clucth to button helped me and solved the problem

Thanks for new patch!
i'm surprised it has been this long and we still dont have working water temperatures
Obviously the water temperatures need to come from somewhere. Engine damage, heating etc. are quite complex issue to do...

UPDATE : Patch V
(186 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG