The online racing simulator
Do you people play with music?
(87 posts, started )
It always happens that whenever I join a forum I feel the urge to create a new topic (which most of the times has already been discussed). Please don't be too hard on me.

I was wondering if you usually play while listening to music, and what kind of music do you play with. At first I played without any music, just car engines and wheels sliding. Then I thought it would be nice to play my favourite Initial D music on the background while racing. I'd say that I enjoy it better when listening to music, but the need to rush comes out and i tend to be a little slower due to lower concentration

Anyway, it's fun, and it's funny how music can affect your driving style and the way you attack the corners.

The music I usually prefer is Initial D OSTs, NFS OSTs, Fast & Furious OSTs and anything you would listen to in a racing movie. I know maybe people who like those are not very well thought here, but I'm the kind of guy who loves racing, simulation, and clean driving.
Nope, first thing I do in ANY sim is turn the music off, just destracts me from the job at hand.

If you are TRUELY concentrating, you wouldnt hear the music anyway, I remember one day riding 60 miles on my bike, down some twisty roads, when I got there I stopped and said to myself, music?, where is that coming from, then I realised I put my MP3 player on before I left, but I was concentrating so much I never heard it for the whole journey LOL.

Dan,
I'm with dan on this one - first thing I do in almost any game is turn the music off (which may seem strange as I'm a musician IRL). It's very rare that you find music which actually compliments the game.
I have music playing in the BG almost all the time
No, music while racing renders me useless. For some people it might help them zoning out, but for me the opposite happens. The music reliably keeps me at attention, making my driving craptacular.
No. - I always turn music OFF in all games.
Because most music in games are crap anyway and I cant see the point of having
music in games at all.
The first thing I do with any new game is turn BG music off right away, even in menus and even if it's good music. When I find a game I like I play it a lot, so even the best music will get on my nerves eventually
Come to think of it I don't actually know what the LFS music sounds like as it's been at least 3 years since I heard it

It doesn't distract me to have tunes playing though (Fear Factory is great driving music), or have Mrs H watching TV or talking to a friend in the same room, as long as I can hear the engine. When I concentrate on racing I barely notice what else is going on. It's great for Mrs H, she can say whatever the hell she wants and knows I won't hear it
The noise of a race tuned engine revving it's bolts off is music to my ears, does this count?
#9 - Jakg
Rammstein - although i only ever do it when oval racing (and not often then!) and when dragging - Music cuts off a lot of feedback, i just can't race properly without the tyre and engine noise
er.. no, why is there music in a sim anyway? I do believe ive heard LFS music for about 30 seconds, the very first time i installed in and figured out how to turn it off.
I only turn my music off when ive got an important race, but mostly I race with music
No
If I join midrace, I will listen to music. But then as soon as the race restarts i turn it off. I also listen to music while drag racing, because all you have to do is sleep on top of your wheel, keep your foot down, and use autoshift. (Hint to devs, false start system plz!)
No I don't... it's kinda distracting and i prefer the engine's noises and the screeching of tires =)
I usually have Kerrang or Scuzz on the TV in the background
It's like making love to a beautyful woman.

Instead of Barry White's moist grunts, I like to hear her softest sighs, moans, complaints, 'I need to go bathroom' and 'you think that ceiling should be painted?'

Of course with LFS it means listening to bzzzzzzZZZZZZZ bzzzzzZZZZ *bonk* bzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ bzzzzzZZZZZZZ *squeel*...

EDIT: Please don't kill me! All the audio engine needs is fine tuning and more samples to spice it up!
I listen to music when I am in a not-so-important race, so that's basically everything except the STCC races :-D
Mind you, even without music I'm slow, so heh ^_^
ROFL spankmeyer.

I really hope those noises were you trying to emulate LFS car sounds than continuing the previous paragraph

I use CSR and think it's fantastic. I just wish doppler worked with it, but you can't have everything.
I love playing games and also listening to (and making) music, just not at the same time.
I do, sometimes. I don't beileve listening to music while racing doesn't make the game any unrealistic at all. It's a game at the end and the point is having fun. I know feeling the most realistic is our major joy usally but like I said above sometimes that kind of "unrealistic" extra is good, even better.

I found couple of different feelings in raicing with music. First the music makes you want to go faster and faster if you're on a tune for it, like speed-metal. And not only the metal stuff, any kind of fast music does it (the dandy warhols - bohemian like you- for example). Second one is a bit special (or weird?). If some song like Alive (pearl jam) or Shine On You Crazy Diamond is playing I feel like I'm on my own tribute video. I ain't no joking :P Also music can get you relaxed. Songs like Work It Out (Jurrasic 5) take the stress of racing.

I mean it's ok to listen music while racing. Why not anyway..
I always turn game music off and have winamp running in the backround. most of the time the LFS sounds are louder than the music.

And its true.... Motörhead's "Ace Of Spades" is the most dangerous song to listen to when driving IRL or in a sim....that and "Jesus Built My HotRod by Ministry" :auto::bananadea:ambulance
Most of time i have music playing in winamp even in league races. Low sound volume for music, louder in game sounds. It helps me relax in the straights, but i lose concentration some times too eheh
Porcupine Tree
No BGM for me, but in other games I do keep the music on in menus.
I turned all music (even in menu's) off a long time ago. At one point, I did take some music from some CDs I had and ripped them to MP3 then converted them to the OGG format, but I soon got more serious about my racing and turned all music off. It is amazing the difference it makes when you can't hear the engine sounds - I usually forget to change gear if I can't hear the engine.

Tim
I used to drive and listen to music, but it keep my head somewhere elso, and that was screwing up my lap time and others drivers too I so quited. Now i drive without music, just lfs sounds + CSR

(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG