The online racing simulator
ESL UK LFS Season 2
(148 posts, started )

Poll : What Class / Classes should we drive?

Closed since :
FOX
TBO Only
TBO+LFR
LFR
it seems tobecoming more regular that the site is "offline" too...
i know the admins cant do anything about that and i'm sure it pisses them off too. i say sack the esl "web team".
I know it's not any of the ERRC admins team fault, and I know they can't do anything about, and I know people are busy, and I know I keep banging on about it, but the ESL site is appalling, sorry, but it is, and people PAY for some of these leagues?, bloody hell, maybe I expect too much, but its frustrating that its always offline when I try to use it.

I say balls to that ESL site, let's make a better UK specific ESL site, one that actually works.

Dan,
If you had looked at the news yesterday, you would know that upgrades are being undertaken this morning.

The daily downtime is btw noted in the terms of use, had you looked at them you would know about it. It is done so the calculation of all the leagues (including LFS UK) can be done much quicker and with less hinderance for the users during the rest of the day. It takes place early in the morning because that's the time the least amount of users are online during that time.

Quote :TBH, the ESL site is the first site I have encountered that needs to be taken offline daily for backups.

Do you know any other page with 400.000+ active users and a few thousands operatins a day which influence leagues of more than 10.000 participants? It's not like the database only consists of a simple forum where entries only have to be added but do not influence other entries. Take the big leagues like Counterstrike: In Germany several 10.000 users play the CS 1on1 ladder. If only one match takes place, this influences the whole ladder. Do this calculation during regular daytime activity and you would know what slowness on a page really is.
Quote from Hoellsen :If you had looked at the news yesterday, you would know that upgrades are being undertaken this morning.

The daily downtime is btw noted in the terms of use, had you looked at them you would know about it. It is done so the calculation of all the leagues (including LFS UK) can be done much quicker and with less hinderance for the users during the rest of the day. It takes place early in the morning because that's the time the least amount of users are online during that time.

Do you know any other page with 400.000+ active users and a few thousands operatins a day which influence leagues of more than 10.000 participants? It's not like the database only consists of a simple forum where entries only have to be added but do not influence other entries. Take the big leagues like Counterstrike: In Germany several 10.000 users play the CS 1on1 ladder. If only one match takes place, this influences the whole ladder. Do this calculation during regular daytime activity and you would know what slowness on a page really is.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Phillip, I appreciate it, as I have'nt ventured any further on the site than the UK LFS section I had'nt considered just how big and how much goes on, certainly goes someway in explaining the reasons for the outages, thanks for that .

Cheers

Dan,
Quote from Hoellsen :If you had looked at the news yesterday, you would know that upgrades are being undertaken this morning.

I did
I didn't see anything about down time...
I only look at the ESL UK Site and not the main ESL Page so maybe the news wasn't distributed through all the sections? or maybe i missed something.
But thanks for the explanation
You guys are right (I just checked), unfortunately there was no news in the intl. sections, just the German one. I'll remind the responsible folks to consider posting such news internationally as well in future.

There was a new database server installed (serverpark consists of 21 webservers and 3 database servers now with a combined ram of 36gb for the three database servers ).
Quote from danowat :I know it's not any of the ERRC admins team fault, and I know they can't do anything about, and I know people are busy, and I know I keep banging on about it, but the ESL site is appalling, sorry, but it is, and people PAY for some of these leagues?, bloody hell, maybe I expect too much, but its frustrating that its always offline when I try to use it.

I say balls to that ESL site, let's make a better UK specific ESL site, one that actually works.

Dan,

1st, thanks for that Phil.

2nd, I am hesitant to input the the results from Blackwood Rev Dan as Nuke and other ESL Database experts are still looking at our problem. So I am holding Fire on these for the moment.

Gav is updating his spreadsheet soon.
Provisional standings for the championship so far...
Attached images
ERRC after event 6.jpg
Thanks p1lot
OMG im 4th

:woohoo:
Thanks Pilot, balls, 7th now due to my rubbish race at FE Green.

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Sorry to hear that matey, its this time of the year that I am happy to have flu jabs (although not happy with the dead arm for a week when I have it )

Look forward to the report.

Dan,
8ths not to bad, hopefully once the round that I got disconnected from the sprint race is knocked off I'll move a bit closer

Keiran
-
Nice one Kev, I'll read it over breakfast

Dan,
All,

We will be using the Xtreme Server tonight, you should all remember the password.

I will dial in when I get home, and set it up at 6:00pm.

Fordie
Sorry guys, change of plan. We are on Clownpaints ERRC server.
I've quickly entered the results from Event 7, all OK?
Attached images
ERRC after event 7.jpg
-
It looks correct Kev its just that the top 3 have missed 1 or more events hence unchanged scores

SD.
Good race last night fellas, the sprint race was a bit of a non-event for me, qualified high, but turned round (forced or not, I am not sure) in T3 and spent the whole race playing catch up.

Main race was a bit better, was pushing so hard right up to the finish line, had some excellent racing with Bawbag and Pilot, couple of dodgy manuevers, but thats racing , I really should have taken 4th in the main, all 3 of us, Bawbag, Pilot and I were battling hard on the last 2 laps, I should have got past Gav a number of times, and then Bawbag slipped in between us on the second to last corner,

Anyone have the replays from last night they can share?

Dan,
I'm pleased with my feature race performance, not so much with the Sprint but overall a good result.

Glad I finally held it all together. Keeping it on the black stuff, out of the wall, off the grass and came out with a 2nd Now just to do that more often

Dan if you PM me your e-mail I can mail you the replays if you haven't already got them

Keiran
Hi All,

Just thought I would update you from the ESL Site, incase you was wondering.

Tuesday, 04/25/2006, 15:00h

We are still offline but I want to take the time to tell you what happened during the last 36 hours.

During the last days we have had some minor database errors which we could fix but which were nevertheless a first sign that something was coming up. That's why we activated an identical substitute computer for the main database server. It was supposed to be put into operation by a quick hard drive exchange last morning. But Murphy did not like this idea and sent all the twelve SCSII drives to the unknown realm of Nonrecognition. We haven't seen them since. In the late evening we had to give up and decided to restore a backup.

But the next drama was already awaiting us. The errors as mentioned above left tiny but fatal traces in the morning backup. We can't tell whether it was a broken SCSII controller, broken RAM or a broken motherboard. However we had to repair the data manually until late at night which was more than laborious. We managed to repair 99,99%, so we don't had to fall back to the sunday backup.

At 5 o'clock in the morning we were ready to go online again but then the new hard drive controller produced an error and said goodbye. We had to stop working in order to get some sleep. The current situation is that two of our technicians are on their way from Cologne to Coburg to the computer center, with a new controller and twelve new hard drives. Even if everything runs smoothly now, the page will not be online today. Tomorrow, at the latest, we will be back.

This is the worst downtime since the establishment of the ESL and due to a chain of incidents we could do nothing to prevent it. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. All Premium users will be credited with three days of Premium.

At this point I would like to thank all the NGZ "remote hands" at the computer centre.

//Jan-Philipp 'Thefly' Reining
-
Great report Kev, as per usual. I just have had a doom and gloom ESL Season this year. Spent more times in the pits than on track, but Town here we come
Nice report again Kev, and yeah, for the record I was spitting feathers than I didnt claim 4th :banghead:

Dan,
Guys, If in the future the league ever runs on a midweek timetable I.E not Mondays or Fridays would you please let me know as I would be really interested in joining.

Chris
Quote from Chris_Kerry :Guys, If in the future the league ever runs on a midweek timetable I.E not Mondays or Fridays would you please let me know as I would be really interested in joining.

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for that. You best bet is to keep an eye on the ESL forum which can be found here http://www.esl.eu/uk/forum/300/1325/?lastvisit=1147041541 This is where all the choices will be made for Race days and cars involved for next Season.

Regards

Fordie

ESL UK LFS Season 2
(148 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG