The online racing simulator
Rant - Cinema Adverts
(83 posts, started )
Quote from mrodgers :Ha! I wish there were only 3 commercial breaks during a half hour broadcast. And I record most of my stuff on DVR and watch it later. I have a 30 second fast forward button and I hit it 7 times to get through a complete commercial break. So, it's actually 3 and a half minutes exactly for a commercial break. This works on everything I watch other than hockey games. The hockey game breaks are always 1:30.

We have a watch dog that dictates how long an advert break can be, and how long they can be apart in between and during shows. So it prevents the American system of 20 minutes of ads, 10 minutes of the show.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :We have a watch dog that dictates how long an advert break can be, and how long they can be apart in between and during shows. So it prevents the American system of 20 minutes of ads, 10 minutes of the show.

/me looks on OFCOM (the UK's FCC type thing)'s site.

UPDATE

/me can't find it, but I can't find much really.
Quote from kiss me :well i hate em, their about banana's (true), monkeys and drinks :s
for bout 20 min or so, then a frog tells to be quiet :s
wich remembers me, after the ads, the add from the frog came, every1 was silent except 2 people, i turned around and said: didn"t you hear the frog? he said to shut up for cryin out loud!
those people didn't knew what to say so they shut up
other then that cinema costs me 6€
2€ for a drink, 2.50€ for a small bag of potato chips
and snacks r +3€
then we have a luxury cinema wich is 7€
5€ for a very big cola (2 liters i think)
wich is still alot to pay, the adds r less, but sound and picture doesn't allways match

Like 3 years ago I took 20 euros to the movies, and I would have some left. When I go now, it's all gone, sometimes it's even more. Two adult tickets: 7.5 euros (15 euros), then some doritos and a drink... 20 euros all gone. Student card doesn't help that much. Under 18 it's 5.5 euros, after that, you can get a college card... But.. I double my last year, so I'm not in college AND I'm over 18... Now that's a way to blow!

And that smaller cheap cinema you went to with the frog.. Was it in Diest? The frog is hilarious! But that cinema sucks, it maybe cheaper, but the quality is so bad I prefer paying a bit more and go to a bigger one. For me it's about just as far.

I'm wanting to go to a movie, but I can't find anyone to join me... Me needs friends
#54 - Jakg
Went to see the new Bond film in a different (but same chain) cinema - 30 minutes of ads (inc. several telling me pirate copies suck and I shouldn't use them), only to start off with a car chase that's blurry as hell and a little jerky (i.e. enough to really REALLY bug you), with what sounded like 2 channels of sound "dieing" randomly throughout the film.

Really got my £5 worth...
#55 - robt
£5?! thats cheap. its over £6 here. And that was a year or two ago.
Quote from Gunn :I haven't been to a cinema in many years. No way am I going to give my money to a company that charges $40000 for a packet of chips and a small Coke.

The ads go for too long, the audio is turned up just enough to cause permanent hearing damage, the seats are uncomfortable and the staff are ugly and rude. And if you try to have sex with the cute girl in the back row they throw you out. WTF is up with that!?! :sadbanana

too true. Me and my dad went to see the new bond film. Tickets cost £11 sweets and drinks cost £20
Interesting form of epic bumpage...

Quote from Jakg :Went to see the new Bond film in a different (but same chain) cinema - 30 minutes of ads (inc. several telling me pirate copies suck and I shouldn't use them), only to start off with a car chase that's blurry as hell and a little jerky (i.e. enough to really REALLY bug you), with what sounded like 2 channels of sound "dieing" randomly throughout the film.

Really got my £5 worth...

One year later, Jak apparently still hasn't learnt that he hates the cinema. Apparently he's just kidding himself by going to Cineworld/ODEON/blah but he just needs to search for the pirate inside his soul, and he will be forever satisfied.

I'm your stereotypical nightmare for cinema chains: I rarely buy snacks (bring my own in a bag), tell the people I'm going with that the film starts later than it actually does and thus arrive just before the film actually begins and thus miss all of the horrific adverts. Worst of all, if I can persuade my fellow cinema goeers, I stay til the end of the credits in the hope that there will be an Easter Egg or something. This, therefore, slows down the cleaning process of said cinema...

Ahh the joys of life...
We always end up turning up late anyway, by which time the ads are usually just ending. I guess you don't get great seats if it's a new movie that way though.

Some people love the cinema, I'm not bothered really, true they have a big screen, but tbf I have a big screen - and I can sit 30cm away from it if I have to. I can also deafen myself with the soundtrack if I want, but instead I choose to have it at a sensible level. The only thing I don't get is to watch the movies as soon as they're out.
The bond film... I sat through 30 minutes of ads growingly needing the toilet, went and missed half of the first car chase.

We also got to the cinema 10 minutes after one started and we were going to go in but thought we'd miss the start. So instead we were bored an hour before the next one.
Quote from Jakg :Suprisingly that was the reason i was there, actually...!

I think thats a lie.

Enjoy your hand.
Consider yourself lucky Jack, I went to see the new Bond film 2 days after it came out. The film was meant to start at 2:00pm, it didnt start till 3:10pm.

1 hour and 10 minutes of adverts, then we were rewarded with, to be honest, quite a shit film. It might have been the cinema, but the Bond film was all blurry, and the surround sound sounded like crap. 2 hours of really bassy talking, and explosions so loud, it actually hurt. Howeer later on in the same room in the same cinema the group we were in (mainly girls) wanted to see High School Musical 3, and it was fine.

So, long adverts were the least of my issue with the new bond film.
I once went through a cinema-pack of M&M's and 0.5l of beer (for the modest price of €10 or whatever) before the movie had even started.
30 minutes of trailers/ads is a lot, but I do see where they're coming from. It's a damn near perfect way to advertise products since the marketeers know exactly what kind of consumer they are dealing with. Plenty of research has gone into market segments and customer pie-charts for them to know almost exactly what brands and type of advertisements the average "Quantum of Solace" or "Max Payne" viewer associates him or herself with.
#63 - 5haz
I cant think of any time of day when somebody isn't trying to sell me something.
#64 - JJ72
Quote from spiderbait90 :1 hour and 10 minutes of adverts

nooo way, seriously nobody think it's an issue?

over here the standard is about 10mins.
Quote from Jertje :I once went through a cinema-pack of M&M's and 0.5l of beer (for the modest price of €10 or whatever) before the movie had even started.

Wow! Now if they served beer in the cinemas over here, I'd be going to see every movie that comes out!
They don't serve beer in cinemas in the states?
If they just make the cinema €1,- then I might go to the cinema once in a while, but they really have to cut the crap or else cinemas are just over soon.
#68 - Migz
I've only read the first post but at our local cinema we have 20 minutes of adverts. And thats advertised on the website too. So we all just take into account that fact and get there when the adverts start and then just go in just before teh actual film starts. Unless its a very populer film like the new bond film. Where we end up getting there a year or two earlier lol.
Quote from JJ72 :nooo way, seriously nobody think it's an issue?

over here the standard is about 10mins.

Well, the room was significantly more empty by the time the actually started, than when the film was "advertised" to start.

Luckily, the group was large enough for us to make small talk until the adverts finished.

The average time for adverts in our local cinema is quite long, as i posted earlier, we later (were forced too) went to see High School Musical, and there was 50 minutes of adverts, followed by the "Do not add your own sound effects thing (turn your mobile phone off)", and some weird BBC Radio 1 advert with Chris Moyles [one of the Radio 1 Program Presenters) using sound effects to demonstrate the Surround Sound....

[edit]

I should point out, we got there early in order to get the best seats, we booked tickets 4 hours before the films began to get good seats (Row 32, Seats 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20, Or, in lame-mans speak. Dead Centre at the very back).

Usually, if its near the end of a Movies lifespan in cinema, we turn up at the time the film starts, buy food and drinks, then go in, usually with only 10 or so minutes of adverts left.
last film I went to see was Hancock earlier this year, had to sit through the witheringly loud stupidly long film trailers, they usually go on for about half an hour here

The best thing about movie trailers though is that for a movie to need such an action packed preview, with exploding motorboats flying over dams, cars smashing into each other and the almost guaranteed shot of people having a good old snog, the film must be pretty damn bad
Yes, the adverts are really annoying. Nothing can be done I guess, wait until a freind gets it on DVD a few months later and watch it advert free.

That said, alot of DVD's now have those stupid "coming soon" things.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yes, the adverts are really annoying. Nothing can be done I guess, wait until a freind gets it on DVD a few months later and watch it advert free.

That said, alot of DVD's now have those stupid "coming soon" things.

You never bought a DVD or a video right?

I mean, 10 years ago when you bought a video, it also had the coming soon thingies on it... It's not new
Quote from spiderbait90 :...50 min adverts...

is that cinema part of a big company or independent? The cinemas in my town are all independent and broadcast not more than 15 min of adverts (and they always contain a 3min dia show of local shops and clubs(some don't even exist anymore))
Honestly, it's so much better watching movies at home even in a very modest home theatre.

What's so good about going to the cinema:
- You don't need such a big screen when you can see the grain and dust in the film.
- It's almost always sort of out of focus.
- The building's fire exit safety lights blur out the corners.
- The sound is all loud bass.
- You're packed in a room full of strangers.
- THE PRICE($$$$$)

Quote from mrodgers :Wow! Now if they served beer in the cinemas over here, I'd be going to see every movie that comes out!

...and that's why they don't serve beer. Fights would break out and then people would start shooting people and all that mean stuff.
Quote from ACCAkut :is that cinema part of a big company or independent? The cinemas in my town are all independent and broadcast not more than 15 min of adverts (and they always contain a 3min dia show of local shops and clubs(some don't even exist anymore))

Cineworld, so, since you see them everywhere in this country, i guess they are pretty big.

I think that they put more adverts on when the films are newly out, because my friend went to see Quantum of Solace today, and said there was only 20 minutes of adverts, in the same cinema, at the same time of day.

Rant - Cinema Adverts
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG