The online racing simulator
Official LFS Beer Thread
(212 posts, started )
Quote from Lateralus :I've never heard of John Smith's, but I can't get everything that Sam Smith makes in grocery stores around here. Kinda pricey though. I like the Imperial Stout the best. Sam makes a Taddy Porter which is very good too; I assume Taddy refers to Tadcaster? Are Sam and John owned by the same company?

Yeah 'Taddy' is Tadcaster. Originally John Smith owned the brewery that Sam Smiths is brewed at now, then he sold up (to Sam, his... nephew, I think?) but later had a change of heart and built himself another brewery just down the road.

John Smiths is sadly now owned by a giant conglomerate but Sam Smiths is still independent. Its most famous pub is in York actually - the King's Arms - famous for flooding regularly.

There's a similar story with Theakston's and Black Sheep. When Paul Theakston took over the brewery in the early '90s he got a really good offer for it so he sold it - the family business! Shocking stuff in a little town like Masham. He then went on to start a new brewery, and gave it the appropriate name 'Black Sheep'.

Quote from Lateralus :Also you said that you frequent York Brewery pubs; that's a foreign concept here. Pubs aren't owned by a particular brewery, unless they're an in-house brewpub which features beers which are brewed in the next room. Even in those, you can get beers which that brewery doesn't make.

Most pubs in the UK are owned by breweries, who then lease them out to landlords. We do have some so-called "free houses" though, pubs that are completely independent.

York Brewery's a really small operation with just three pubs inside the city walls, but its beers are being taken on frequently as guest beers in real-ale pubs up and down the country now.
Quote from Jertje :Good man!
Karjala is also quite alright

I like to drink Karhu too. I used to drink Karjala, but somehow it doesn't taste that good anymore.
I used to hate Lapin Kulta, but they have changed the taste of it and nowadays I really like it.

Usually when I drink, I like to drink Finnish beer, like those mentioned above.
Tho Koff and Olvi are something I hate really. Sometimes I pick 24-pack of Koff, because it is cheap around here, but Olvi is something I usually drink only if someone offers it for me free.

I also like the stronger version of Karhu, what you can buy from Alko (the Finnish alcohol stores), the ~8vol. one.

Sometimes I treat myself and buy some "specialities", usually that means import beer. Tho probably they taste different when you drink them in their own countries.
Can't remember what ones I have tasted tbh.

Ahhh... Summer, sauna, some grilled sausage with mustard, beer and the beer-belly hanging out. I'm hungry now...
yay for cristal
its probably not the best but i dont drink anything else so meh

and ugh stella = just regular beer in a shiny package
Quote from titanLS :Moose Drool, made by Big Sky Brewing in Missoula, MT. Great brown ale.

Really love this stuff.

I recommend anything from Bell's Brewery in Michigan, Brooklyn Brewery in New York, Terrapin Brewing in Georgia, Odell Brewing Company in Colorado, and Unibroue in Quebec.

Some of my favorites:

wut? I dont drink
Quote from Lateralus :
Stone Brewing is, in my experience, the best brewer in this country right now. Not just Ruination, but Arrogant Bastard. Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Double Bastard. Oaked Double Bastard....

Arrogant Bastard is my all-time favorite meal !
I have to jump through hoops to obtain it in the midwest, but it is well worth the effort and cost.

A very close second to Stone Brewing's throne would be Three Floyds out of Munster, Indiana. "Alpha King" is an unbelievable IPA - a very close second
to Arrogant Bastard. They actually make several good brews, but probably are hard to find on the east coast.

There are some nice IPA's brewed in Wisconsin, but they can't touch
Arrogant Bastard or Alpha King.

I do enjoy a fine Stout from time to time. O'Hara's Celtic Stout is very nice,
as is Rouge Shakesphere Stout, if you can find it.
Quote from BenjiMC :

wut? I dont drink

I do like ginger beer, but I've got a bigger soft spot for dandelion & burdock (esp. that Fentimans stuff). Actually I might drive up to Whitby today, get some fish n' chips and a bottle of dandelion and burdock and go sit on the cliff. That would do my soul a world of good I think.
Czech Beer FTW
Quote from Spangler_CZE :Czech Beer FTW

yea pilsner urquell is great

ive been to the brewery on a school trip a few years ago
But if you like drinking beer, you have to brew your own beer!

I once did it with two mates. We went to the local brewery 'Andreas Brauerei' in my hometown (when it still existed), we asked nicely and they gave us 5kg of malt (we had to grind it ourselves...), half a liter of their yeast and 3 handfull of hops.

Then we chose a (fairly simple) recipe of a top-fermented beer. After hours of cooking, filtering, mashing and all the other steps that were necessary. We learned that making beer wasn't as easy as putting everything into a bucket and stir...

Well, from the point of getting the ingredients to the first sip it took about 2 weeks. And we started with 20liters of malt-mash abd ended up with 5liters of fine tasting beer for each of the three of us... (sorry for not knowing all the brewery terms in English)

edit: http://rediske.de/temp/say you beer me.avi
Quote from rediske :... they gave us 5kg of malt ... ended up with 5liters of fine tasting beer

A kilo of malt per litre? I think you could improve your efficiency!
..well if you look up recipes for beer you'll see that it's always about 4-5kg of malt on 20liters of water for one brewing.
Well yes, it was quite a dark beer, but it was really tasty and about as strong as the stuff we usually guzzle from bottles...
Attached images
XFR_ALDARIS.JPG
My favourite at the moment:

It's very pale, and cloudy and tastes really fruity, almost lemony.
Quote from Crashgate3 :My favourite at the moment:
It's very pale, and cloudy and tastes really fruity, almost lemony.

nice bottle
I dont drink. But I do smoke weed. Shall I create a new thread now?
Quote from Takumi_lfs :I dont drink. But I do smoke weed. Shall I create a new thread now?

the "where´s your favourite coffeeshop?" or "what kind of weed do you prefer?" thread?

yey, beer from my town, first ever brewer guild that created bock beer (Einbeck->Einbock->Bock)

Official LFS Beer Thread
(212 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG