The online racing simulator
Official LFS Beer Thread
(212 posts, started )
Official LFS Beer Thread
Ale. Lager. Lambic.

Bitter. Mild. IPA. Porter. Stout. Dubbel. Tripel. Flanders Red. Bock. Doppelbock. Weissbier. Altbier. Kölsch. Märzen. Pilsener. All the others.

What's your favorite style? What's your least favorite? What are you drinking right now? What have you drunk in the past? What would you like to try in the future?

What's your favorite brewery? What's special to your area? What do you wish you could get in your area but can't?

Post anything and everything about the drink of the gods. Bringer of life. Mother of us all. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

BEER!
Since I started the thread, I get the privilege of posting the first reply.

I have a hard time picking a single favorite style, but if forced I'd pick india pale ale. Hops are glorious. Fantastic. Amazing. A good IPA is like a good woman - rich, complex and satisfying. Makes you want more.

Stone Brewing Company's Ruination IPA is unbelievable. It's brewed in California and I'm on the east coast, so for the longest time I couldn't get it. They didn't distribute it in this area. It remained but a fantasy. But in the past two months, joy of joys, it's finally here! And it's worth the wait. It has the best aroma I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It's like lying in a bed of freshly-cut flowers while on LSD. The taste? Well, it's beyond words. If I had to pick a single beer to have for the rest of my life, it'd be Ruination IPA.

Fortunately though, I don't have to pick a single beer. I have choice. I've been quite into dark beers like porters and stouts lately. I picked up a six of Duck-Rabbit Brewery's Russian Imperial Stout last night, and I have to say it's very good. The aroma is fantastic and initial flavor is very deep, with strong flavors of roasted nuts and chocolate balanced with a nice bitter background. The finish however is a little bit disappointing - a bit too sour and sharp. Brooklyn's Double Chocolate Stout is so goddamned good I nearly fell out of my chair when I first tried it on tap. Weyerbacher's Old Heathen Imperial Stout is much the same. Fuller's London Porter is very nice as well.

Stone Brewing is, in my experience, the best brewer in this country right now. Not just Ruination, but Arrogant Bastard. Oaked Arrogant Bastard. Double Bastard. Oaked Double Bastard. Even their basic Pale Ale is fantastic - so well balanced.

Mendocino Brewing's Eye of the Hawk Select Ale has been a standby for a while now. It's often on sale in my area (about $7/six pack) and for that price almost can't be beaten. It has a very nice caremely malt flavor backed up by a substantial, but not overpowering, hoppiness. It's also 8% ABV, so I'm feelin' good after just one. Anchor Steam's Liberty Ale is a great beer. Nice floral hoppiness on the nose, but a sharp hoppiness on the tongue. Nicely balanced and drinkable.

On the other hand, I bought a single bottle of Belhaven's Wee Heavy a couple weeks ago and was a bit disappointed. It was decent, but not as good as I was expecting. I suspect it may have been a bit less than fresh. I prefer Belhaven's basic Scotch Ale - it's deep, honey, caremely malt flavor is very distinctive.

There are so many great breweries in the US that I can't do them justice here. Quality beer here in America has just exploded in the past 10-15 years, and the art of craft brewing has gotten to a level that rivals the best breweries in Belgium, Britain and Germany. The whole notion of "American beer sucks" just isn't true anymore. That said, many of the best beers are adaptations of already-existing styles, so we must pay homage to our European forebears.

I definitely would like to travel to Europe someday in the not-too-distant future, and beer will be a focus of my journey. I'd like to try a pint of Guinness in a pub in Dublin, because my experience of it here has been nothing other than poor. In fact I can say that for me, Guinness is crap. It's dull, weak and watery. The flavor just isn't good. I've heard that it's because Guinness doesn't travel well, so I'm not saying it's outright worthless. I'm hoping to change my opinion when I sample a proper fresh pint. I'd like to try a proper bitter out a real draught keg in England, as is the true way. None of this CO2-powered nonsense - real ale out of a proper pump-style draught keg is a thing of beauty, but unfortunately it's almost impossible to find here.

The next stop would be, naturally, Belgium. Chimay red label. Chimay blue label. Maredsous. Westvleteren. Oh god. Belgian beers are wonderful. Trappist monks know how to live. After England, Scotland and Belgium I'd probably be too drunk to even stumble into Germany. But I'd do it, for the good of humanity. Oktoberfest in Munich is my Mecca, even though I'm less familiar with German styles than any other. I'd like to learn, and what better way is there than firsthand?

Damn, I need a beer.
Lol

I like mini sagres
Wife Beater

Quote from Rdcranno :Wife Beater
<Big Stella can image>

+1. Don't usually drink but that's what i'd have if I was in the mood for beer. If not, Scrumpy Jack (yes I know it's not a beer).

I'm sure Bob we'll be along at some point to give a lecture about his love for beer, and show off his beer throne.

I tend to drink in York Brewery pubs quite a lot, so I mostly drink Terrier. I also like the odd pint of Theakston's Old Peculier (another Yorkshire beer, brewed in Masham), Black Sheep Best (again, brewed in Masham), and I think if you can find a pub with a good cellar you just can't beat a pint of John Smiths (brewed just down the road in Tadcaster).

I thought it was weird when I lived in the USA that you can get a few different Samuel Smiths beers over there, but no John Smiths anywhere. John's is probably the most popular pint of bitter in the UK, but you lot apparently prefer the lesser-known Smith sibling's pint. Strange.
#12 - VoiD
I drink local beers as do most of the people around here. Saku and A. Le Coq are the two biggest breweries. I personally like Saku Rock, Saku Kuld and A. Le Coq Premium, in that order. They´re all lagers I think, so I guess I drink urine.

There´s also a great commercial for Saku Kuld. :P It does however require some understanding of the German language.
#15 - CSU1
...it depends...if i'm@home its>

If I'm in the boozer its>
I laik beer.

Still have to see which one is the best.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I laik beer.

Still have to see which one is the best.

Same here. I don't drink beer very often, so I don't have an opinion about which is best.
I even made a skin dedicated to my favourite beer!

Murauer Märzen!

And as taste is truly subjective, let's discuss it

Having been to Tampere two weeks ago, visiting my girlfriend who is on a semester abroad there, I have to say that, even though Finland's a great country with great people, they really shouldn't bother brewing beers. Weak and sweet as juice, really didn't expect such whimpy beer from you guys. Perkele!

Well, at least Lapin Kulta is, as I didn't have the chance (nor the money, heck, alcohol is expensive up north) to try any other brand.

And on a sidenote: If you're in Finland and order a Gin, you're in for quite a surprise

And conclusively, here's my beer skin, feel free to use and edit it (as it has my name on it).
Attached images
XRT_Murauerl.jpg
-
(Kalev EST) DELETED by Kalev EST
Fat Tire, from New Belgium in Colorado. Best amber ale around.
Moose Drool, made by Big Sky Brewing in Missoula, MT. Great brown ale.
Trout Slayer, also by Big Sky. Wheat Ale.
Sunshine Wheat, by New Belgium.

Actually, I highly recommend most everything from both Big Sky and New Belgium. Also, Scotch ftw...
Attached images
beer_label_ft.png
moose.gif
troutslayer.gif
beer_label_sw.png
30yr_bottle.jpg
Quote from thisnameistaken :I thought it was weird when I lived in the USA that you can get a few different Samuel Smiths beers over there, but no John Smiths anywhere. John's is probably the most popular pint of bitter in the UK, but you lot apparently prefer the lesser-known Smith sibling's pint. Strange.

I've never heard of John Smith's, but I can't get everything that Sam Smith makes in grocery stores around here. Kinda pricey though. I like the Imperial Stout the best. Sam makes a Taddy Porter which is very good too; I assume Taddy refers to Tadcaster? Are Sam and John owned by the same company?

Also you said that you frequent York Brewery pubs; that's a foreign concept here. Pubs aren't owned by a particular brewery, unless they're an in-house brewpub which features beers which are brewed in the next room. Even in those, you can get beers which that brewery doesn't make.
#21 - 5haz
Adnams.
Quote from titanLS :Moose Drool

If i knew that i would have bottled mine. i expel buckets of the stuff

Guinness wins every time. Just the perfect beverage.
Though at this precise moment i'm consuming vast quantities of Becks, as it was on offer for less than bottled water
Stauder FTW!
Attached images
Stauder.jpg

Official LFS Beer Thread
(212 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG