My setup is
A - throttle
Z - brake
X - clutch
Q - handbrake
W/E - look left/right
LMB - shift up
RMB - shift down

Maximimum button speed and 0.78 centre smoothing. I change clutchlessly whenever possible so that I can blip too. Not optimal because throttle and brakes are digital, but that's the way I got used to driving back in the day.
Thanks will have to try it
I think mouse is much better than keyboard.. Right now you probably feel otherwise because most racing games only support keyb and not mouse, so you're more used to keyboard.

Also, there's a little trick you can do to make it easier with mouse, that is decreasing the angle that the car's tyres turn (maximum lock). For instance, on FBM the regular value is 20º, if you use 14º it should feel much better.
Quote from spenceris :What buttons do you guys use to change gears and accelarate/brake while steering with a mouse?

left mouse-button - throttle
right mouse-button - brake
W - shift up
S - shift down
A - look left
D - look right
E - look behind
space - handbrake
Well im using this one now :

W - throttle
S - brake
Q - look left
E - look right
R - look behind
left mouse - shift up
right mouse -shift down
space - handbrake

this suits me the best

any other suitable info about steer centre reduction button control rates
and car setups using for mouse?

Quote :on FBM the regular value is 20º, if you use 14º

and where can i change that?

Cause im like spinning at the corners...
Select 'Steering' tab while in the Garage.
left mouse-button - throttle
right mouse-button - brake
Look left - W
Look Right - E
Change up - Q
Change Down - S
Space - Handbrake
Alright well im using my own button setup now and its very handy to me right now and you guys are right steering with mouse is much more comfortable and smoother.

Did actually 1.39.25 with a XRG in BL but the ride itself is so much more smoother and more like enjoyable.

Just need to get proper setups to drive with mouse right now, which is
i ask you guys to help me. thank you
All i can see is this.. what should i adjust?

Ok been racing Blackwood with the XRG with a mouse and got
1.38.19 the fastest lap ive done with a mouse and i got a question.
How can i prevent my tires more from high temperature and what do i need to do with braking on fast corners? im like coming 190km/h on the straight then i slam on the brakes with the keyboard button and the tyres
start squeking when the speed drops more, how can i improve my braking with a keyboard?

P.S. thos gone off topic and i dont know wheter i should create a new thread or continue here?..
#36 - robt
The braking probably can be sorted by either moving brake balance back a bit or turning down the strength of the brakes a touch.
as for my keyboard setup and rates:

up arrow: throttle
Down arrow: brake
Left arrow: left
Right arrow: Right
O: change up
L: change down

usualy use auto gears but change down manualy when i can (can override auto slightly)
As for rates:

Steer rate: 1.00
Return Rate: 0.75
Limit multiplier: 0.5
Button control rate: 4.00
rob that sounds like exactly what I do, I find using the auto box as a full auto is rubbish so changing down manually is a must except I use

S = change up
X = change down
Space = handbrake
I have tried to play with kb only once... Thats hard because you can't give smooth input into the steering wheel so you spend all the race clicking 1687654654 times per second to face the car as best as possible =D

i use Mouse steering with very low sensitivity (800-600dpi) with the Logitech G5 (this mouse makes the difference)

A > Gear up
Z > Gear down
Q > Handbrake
S > Look Left
D > Look Right
W > Look Back
X > Clutch

Centre reduction is 0 and button rate ranges from 4-8 depending on car.
Ok im drunk right now i i just tried racing 20 laps with some (PRO) AI's
with a XRG in Blackwood. Used the mouse to steer and did 1.36.78 as the fastest lap and i know i can get into 35's with some control and car setup adjusting plus im drunk right now.

off topic : anyone tried racing online being drunk?
I've been using the keyboard/mouse combo (gears and steer on the mouse, the rest on the keyboard) for about 4 years and I can't really even think about using something else. I've tried my bro's wheel a few times, but it didn't bring good results, so I just end up continuing to drive with the mouse
Yeah im practicing with the mouse now and adjusting this and that to make it 100% efficient for me to drive with the xrg. but i cant imagine how the hell they do liek 1.32.** times with the xrg on blackwood with a mouse... tell me
Get the fastest mouse-powered hotlaps from LFS World and see for yourself Also, the WR is 1:32.82, so aiming for steady 32s might not be the most suitable target ever if you can't get within a second of it in the first place
I would want to see umm like a replay of how do they steer and do the record with a mouse. And actually im not aiming for the record im thinking that im like 4 seconds slower and i want to go into 1.35 time and its pretty hard to do for me right now :]

EDIT : ahh just watched it and these guys wouldnt like do that in a endurance race like that
that was just for hotlapping i guess. Tyres heat up pretty fast
I'm used to KS. Using arrows keys to drive ftw!
I WAS used to keyboard, before I got a wheel ofcourse
Quote from LiveForBoobs :I think mouse is much better than keyboard.. Right now you probably feel otherwise because most racing games only support keyb and not mouse, so you're more used to keyboard.

Also, there's a little trick you can do to make it easier with mouse, that is decreasing the angle that the car's tyres turn (maximum lock). For instance, on FBM the regular value is 20º, if you use 14º it should feel much better.

there is another less fidly one. In misc there is an option for steer smoothing. when i used mouse i had it quite high.
i use keyboard because mouse counter-steer is rediculuse.
I use G25 i cant do it with KB :S i only drift with mouse to get high angle
Quote from fretan :I use G25 i cant do it with KB :S i only drift with mouse to get high angle

You're wasting half the money you spent
And for the guy that used high smothing factor with mouse: That just decreases reaction time with the steering wheel(but maybe makes corner entries and weight transfers smoother). Personally i think its bad.
Umm using the smooth thing while steering with the mouse is so getting the whole driving much worse... but actually everybody has their own tastes

LFS Keyboard Racers
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG