The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Heh, made a simple illustration of what does it cost to run one season in racing (does not include monthly fees) in each car and how much return you get for a track. Just to make it easier to choose what to run and when...

Quote from Hyperactive :Heh, made a simple illustration of what does it cost to run one season in racing (does not include monthly fees) in each car and how much return you get for a track. Just to make it easier to choose what to run and when...

SO with the skippy series being $54, if you get the iRacing for the year, you can use your vouchers to run the whole Skippy series for the yearly iRacing amount !
yup, i ran the skippy for part of my rookie season. I'm gonna run it for class D too, i think. I will have to buy many tracks if i want to race every one for the Craftsman trucks. I
Hm, interesting graphics. However, since I'm running the skippy again next season my price per run on a track goes down considerably.

btw: I just had my first practice runs at Infineon Long, the track where I started skippy racing last season, and guess what! I was able to shave half a second off my previous offline pb within 9 laps. That's a whole second faster than my current online pb. Needless to say that I'm rather satisfied with myself.

Edit: 1:48.875, btw.
Quote from Linsen :Hm, interesting graphics. However, since I'm running the skippy again next season my price per run on a track goes down considerably.

btw: I just had my first practice runs at Infineon Long, the track where I started skippy racing last season, and guess what! I was able to shave half a second off my previous offline pb within 9 laps. That's a whole second faster than my current online pb. Needless to say that I'm rather satisfied with myself.

Edit: 1:48.875, btw.

Awesome job......

I'm going for the skippy series next season too. Get my money's worth and also I should be a little more competitive without spinning out all the time!
Just reminding everyone... Week 13 started tonight... Radicals @ Sebring with no license requirements or safety ratings. Everyone was relatively well behaved in the first race.
Anyone got a good set for the Mazdas at The Milwaukee Mile?
Quote from Hyperactive :Heh, made a simple illustration of what does it cost to run one season in racing (does not include monthly fees) in each car and how much return you get for a track. Just to make it easier to choose what to run and when...

lols.jpg" alt="" onload="imageAutoSize(this)" />

Am I the only one who sees a real tiny image when I click that link?
Quote from The Moose :Anyone got a good set for the Mazdas at The Milwaukee Mile?

I had a look at redline and Sim-Chassis but they hgaven't listed one yet mate.....
Next season I'm going to try and take it more seriously and see how well I can do. I'm not quite sure which series to run though? I think I'm going to concentrate on the skippy as I expect this to remain the most popular. I'll probably give the new trucks ago for the Oval series. Unfortunately I'm not good enough to run more series together . What are you guys going to go for next season?

Edit: Moose try this thread for Mazda/Millwaukee set ups http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... readID=16138&tstart=0
Quote from AlienT. :Next season I'm going to try and take it more seriously and see how well I can do. I'm not quite sure which series to run though? I think I'm going to concentrate on the skippy as I expect this to remain the most popular. I'll probably give the new trucks ago for the Oval series. Unfortunately I'm not good enough to run more series together . What are you guys going to go for next season?

I'm going skippy to give you a run for your money

I want to try the new truck too as I think this will prove the most popular in the oval series but that will mean more money on tracks!!!!

Got to be the skippy for me and of course the Legend Road car Series!!!!!
I've gotta say, week 13 is far more enjoyable than anything I've seen so far.

Big grids, more races,no safety rating pressure, just jump in and race. It's a hell of a lot more fun.

The standard of driving seems to be exactly the same, so its not suddenly turned into a chaotic wreckfest just because ratings aren't involved.
This throws any arguments against pick up racing straight out of the window.

Honestly, if they just ran a load of pickup races as well as the 'official' iRacing races I'd sign up tomorrow and probably never race another sim again.

Fun. That's what its all about. Week 13 is lots of it.

30 cars around Milwaukee is just amazing

@AlienT Thanks for that link.
I'm having the same experience in the Radicals. No immature driving or wreckers, grids of 30 @ Sebring, some of the absolute best racing I've taken part in since I signed up... it's a shame it'll only last for a week.
Quote from The Moose :
The standard of driving seems to be exactly the same, so its not suddenly turned into a chaotic wreckfest just because ratings aren't involved.
This throws any arguments against pick up racing straight out of the window.

Safety Ratings have remained for this season's week 13 mate! That is why the standard has remained for the week 13 like during the season. Last week 13 the standard went down as people pushed it harder knowing their SR was safe! Glad you're having fun with it again mate!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Safety Ratings and iRatings are only in effect for the official Week 13 series. The unofficial series with the Mazdas and Radicals are not counting incidents or iRating points.
The mazda and radical week 13's do not do anything with safety ratings they are for fun only. The legends and solstice wk 13's still count for SR though.

What annoys me is that I have all the content except 4 tracks, so how can I buy six items to get the 20% reduction....something not quite right there surely I shuld be entitled to the 20% discount as I have forked out for the rest of the content? I have sent them a 'moan-a-mail' see what they come back with
Quote from titanLS :Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Safety Ratings and iRatings are only in effect for the official Week 13 series. The unofficial series with the Mazdas and Radicals are not counting incidents or iRating points.

That's correct as far as i can see. I've seen no safety rating change at all despite a couple of "incidents"
Oh bugger it I'm going to fork out ....it's typical that two of the 4 tracks I haven't got are the Milwaukee Mile and Sebring..... so no wk 13 fun in the mazda or Radical....bah it's a conspiracy I tell ya! Bin Laden has a lot to answer for.
Quote from The Moose :I've gotta say, week 13 is far more enjoyable than anything I've seen so far.

Big grids, more races,no safety rating pressure, just jump in and race. It's a hell of a lot more fun.

It probably varies a lot between the series. At least in the Radical series the standard of driving hasn't been anywhere close to the iRacing road class races that I'm used to. Also the feeling of competition has mostly been gone from the races. For me it just shows the importance and effect of the safety rating and iRating systems. It's a short, refreshing break from the season, perhaps, but I'm thankful the racing normally isn't as it is during week 13.

It seems like a whole different story in the oval races with the Mazda, though.
Quote from Liff :It probably varies a lot between the series. At least in the Radical series the standard of driving hasn't been anywhere close to the iRacing road class races that I'm used to. Also the feeling of competition has mostly been gone from the races. For me it just shows the importance and effect of the safety rating and iRating systems. It's a short, refreshing break from the season, perhaps, but I'm thankful the racing normally isn't as it is during week 13.

It seems like a whole different story in the oval races with the Mazda, though.

I've watched a few of the Radical races and i cant say I've seen much wrong at all. Some great fair fights going on, but of course i haven't seen what's going on all through the pack

I dunno about the feeling of competition I feel it in every race i drive, no matter if its pickup or league. Points or no points, the aim is always the same.

It's bloody obvious that a lot people want this sort of racing. Even with races every half hour the grids are always big. People want to sit down and have a fun evening of racing. My mate ,whos a great fan of the system, has admitted hes had more fun today than he has in months.

It's far to serious at times. Thats my observation. Dont get me wrong, i love my serious racing but i still see absolutely no reason at all why they cant run a load more of these fun races alongside the "league". The demand is there, thats completely obvious by the amount of people online.

I ran a Mazda race earlier that was one of the best sim racing experiences i've ever had.

Doing 27.7's now
The iracing racing system really is a strange mix of league and pick-up racing and the emphasis is on the latter. Still it manages to miss most of the best of both worlds, the excitement, challenge and cruelty of a true league race and the fun, easiness and fast-paceness of pick up race. It's like a league race when there is nothing at stake or to win or like a pick up race where you need to chedule yourself for it. Sure, the races are still fun (late models ftw!) and challenging but I think the structure limits iracing more than it helps it. Although I really like that there are almost always racers on the license D cars but it still makes me wonder if there would be even more people if iracing opened up the system a bit more. At least iracing has got the american population to do some sim racing which is something other sims really haven't managed to do .

Personally I'd like iracing to move a lot towards more realistic simulation and ditch some of these game features that imho fit better into mmorpg instead of racing sim. I would also like to see league alike races and championships, the current championships are just pointless for me. But then again, iracing is kinda unfinished with lots of somewhat basic features missing so I'd like to think that some of the stuff will be improved, maybe even some parts of the basic systems tweaked and changed to mimic real life racing better instead of creating virtual sport of sim racing that is run on totally different way than the real sport it tries to simulate.
Quote from Hyperactive :The iracing racing system really is a strange mix of league and pick-up racing and the emphasis is on the latter. Still it manages to miss most of the best of both worlds, the excitement, challenge and cruelty of a true league race and the fun, easiness and fast-paceness of pick up race.

Excellent post, although I disagree with the above statement.

To me iRacing is a very nice compromise between leagues and pick-up racing. I wouldn't want to either commit myself to a league and race the same 20 people all the time, or attend pick-up races where the skill level of people would vary greatly. For me the non-SR 13th week road racing has greatly reasserted my second point.
Quote from Liff : I wouldn't want to either commit myself to a league and race the same 20 people all the time, or attend pick-up races where the skill level of people would vary greatly.

You're not one of the people that would like to race in a real life series then? You know, racing the same people for a season.

That's half the fun of racing for me. Getting to know your opponents, their strengths and weaknesses, knowing exactly who the guys you can race two wide through any corner are, who's over aggressive, who will crack if you pressure them etc.

As it stands now it's nothing more than scheduled pick-up racing with stats, and arcade features like resetting to the pits is a bit of joke.

Hyperactive summed it up perfectly. "it manages to miss most of the best of both worlds"

Quote from Hyperactive : it still makes me wonder if there would be even more people if iracing opened up the system a bit more.

I absolutely guarantee it. There are people sat by, flexing their credit cards, just waiting for iRacing to offer more than it's current system. They obviously don't want the custom.
i think once you get higher up and if the rating system is working correctly, you should run into the same people more often than not. Maybe once iRacing becomes more populated, we can have separations between regions for competition.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG