The online racing simulator
nope
Quote from Hyperactive : The cold hard fact is that he isn't getting much if any money from the sim racing public with any current or future versions of nk... so to be able to dev nk he has to take other jobs.

He has a job. He works for BRD. That's half the reason all this has taken so bloody long.
Quote from Gnomie :By the way, have the system requirements changed since 1.02?

No I guess, but at least the original requirements (actually not even requirements but recommended specs) should be closer to truth since reportedly much improved FPS.
Quote from RossUK :Will 1.03 include that Hillclimb car and track? I remember seeing a vid of that and it looked pretty sweet.

The Hillclimb addon will be released after the 1.0.3 patch, I believe half the reason is simply that Kunos wishes to release it to the public using the much improved 1.0.3 version

Quote from Gnomie : Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the online code is good and that people start playing regularly!

By the way, have the system requirements changed since 1.02?

Firstly, the netcode is much improved over V1.0.2 - there is hardly any join lag and the FPS is alot more stable (Some peoples machines have seen a good increase in FPS as well as it being stable). So now your online races won't get ruined when either someone joins or because your FPS is jumping from 60 to 5! (Im sure Moose will back me up here )

Secondly, the System Requirements are exactly the same as v1.0.2 - the only thing is V1.0.3 should allow systems nearer the specs (e.g. slower computers) to run smoother.
Quote from mclarenmatt :
Firstly, the netcode is much improved over V1.0.2 - there is hardly any join lag and the FPS is alot more stable (Some peoples machines have seen a good increase in FPS as well as it being stable). So now your online races won't get ruined when either someone joins or because your FPS is jumping from 60 to 5! (Im sure Moose will back me up here )

I will indeed back you up.

Quote from deggis :No I guess, but at least the original requirements (actually not even requirements but recommended specs) should be closer to truth since reportedly much improved FPS.

We seem to have reached a point where its not so much a huge FPS increases as far more stable FPS. Some people are getting a slight boost. I personally get about the same high FPS but less of a hit on the lows.

I still wouldn't even bother with anything less than an Athlon 64 3200 and a 6800 GT/GS for a half decent experience with some eye candy.
Quote : I still wouldn't even bother with anything less than an Athlon 64 3200 and a 6800 GT/GS for a half decent experience with some eye candy.

Im currently running V1.0.3 on a pretty rubbish machine (as my new Gaming PC isn't quite built yet).

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
1GB DDR2 800Mhz
ATI Radeon 1650 Pro 512Mb
Vista Home Premium X64

This is enough to allow me to have some eye candy on and still have decent FPS, so its not like you need a monster machine to enjoy NKP
Quote from mclarenmatt :Im currently running V1.0.3 on a pretty rubbish machine (as my new Gaming PC isn't quite built yet).

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
1GB DDR2 800Mhz
ATI Radeon 1650 Pro 512Mb
Vista Home Premium X64

This is enough to allow me to have some eye candy on and still have decent FPS, so its not like you need a monster machine to enjoy NKP

Aye, i used to play it on an AthlonXP 2400 with a TI4600 and still had a decent experience (did the first full season on that machine )

Still, My recommended minimum is what i stated in my last post, otherwise some tit with a poor spec and poorly optimised machine will complain that performance is bad.

Most dual core machines will eat it for breakfast though Playing on a 26" widescreen at 1900 x 1200(or whatever it is) at 300FPS is a whole new ballgame! I cant wait until i can upgrade my compuer.
So is it ready for the great unwashed? Or will we have to say goodbye to Jaap?
Quote from Doorman :So is it ready for the great unwashed? Or will we have to say goodbye to Jaap?

Hehe, i think Jaap may regret saying what he did .

It's not far off, but a few stubborn bugs are still present. I'd rather it took a little more time than got released without fixing all the biggies. After this long a few more weeks doesn't really matter anymore.

Whenever it gets released i'm sure a load of people will still have somethig to moan about

...ohh, currently flatspotting has been reintroduced btw. I hope this makes it into final release. It really puts it one step ahead of anything else on the market for me.
I've just re-installed but I can't get the pedals to work properly Got Leo Bednars Pedal mod and my axis are all nincompooped.....I shall persevere.

I just love the way the battery/starter?? gets goosed if you can't get the car started in the first couple of attempts.

Bought this about a year ago but never really gave it a good go at the time I think because there was no online pick up going on and I was too caught up with LFS.

Edit: Just as a matter of interest I assume that due to weight that formula cars don't carry a battery so what is it that is kaput if the car doesn't start....Am I flooding the engine? or is it simply the starter motor overheating or burning out? cheers
Quote from AlienT. :I just love the way the battery/starter?? gets goosed if you can't get the car started in the first couple of attempts.

Also the sound that engine makes when you restart the engine is just priceless. It sounds like the engine is un-muted instead of restarted, kinda likemit just resumes from normal idle

I dunno know really. Nk pro had soo many small bugs and glitches when it was released that it would be really surprising if all these were fixed.
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=250279
Good news about both the netcode and the system requirements! The demo runs smoothly at 1920x1200 on my shabby old laptop, with at least some eye candy.

Quote from AlienT. :I've just re-installed but I can't get the pedals to work properly Got Leo Bednars Pedal mod and my axis are all nincompooped.....I shall persevere.

Yeah, I had a weird issue with the clutch in the demo.. dunno if it was just a driver mistake or what, but I simply couldn't manage to not stall.. So for now I've been using autoclutch.

By the way: what would you say would be classified as a decent laptime in the demo? I feel I've "got the flow" now, but I have no idea how fast I am or what target I should aim for.

Oh, and one more thing: what exactly is Jaap's role in nKP? I thought there was this other guy coding mostly the whole thing by himself..
Jaap is the self-proclaimed PR-manager of NK... Which is easy, as he is the only link between Kunos and the outer world...
Quote from The Moose :Still, My recommended minimum is what i stated in my last post, otherwise some tit with a poor spec and poorly optimised machine will complain that performance is bad.

Well, the minimum (or "recommended" according to Kunos, do I have to dig up that post again from 2006? ) specs are what they are...
Quote from deggis :Well, the minimum (or "recommended" according to Kunos, do I have to dig up that post again from 2006? ) specs are what they are...

It's been long acknowledged that Kunos mininmum specs were a load of rubbish. If anyone expects to play 1.03 with those specs they will be disappointed.

I'll suggest he amends them for 1.03
Quote from bbman :Jaap is the self-proclaimed PR-manager of NK... Which is easy, as he is the only link between Kunos and the outer world...

I'm not sure when he proclaimed himself PR manager He was given the role by Kunos.

TBH without Jaap nKPro would probably be a completely dead project. If it wasn't for his league providing a place to practice and race for the hardcore supporters i doubt the public nK project would exist in it's public form any more.
Quote from The Moose :I'm not sure when he proclaimed himself PR manager He was given the role by Kunos.

And who made that announcement while a developer stayed quiet? As I said, self-proclaimed...
Quote from bbman :And who made that announcement while a developer stayed quiet? As I said, self-proclaimed...

Self-proclaimed or not, without Jaap netKar Pro would be dead.

So we have him to thank for managing to keep it alive and for running an excellent league and rank tool
Quote from The Moose :It's been long acknowledged that Kunos mininmum specs were a load of rubbish. If anyone expects to play 1.03 with those specs they will be disappointed.

Well, whichever is easier to acknowledge then... that either Kunos acted like some big game publisher a la EA and pulled those requirements out of his butt or that there was a major fault in the MP code.

Quote :I'll suggest he amends them for 1.03

Good idea but then everyone with certain range of specs should have a right to refund.

Fortunately according to this: http://forum.racesimcentral.co ... 3899964&postcount=168

..not so much need for amending.
Well, nkpro had the issue that on some machines it runs really well but then on some other, even hi-spec machines the performance was bad. Personally I had to run it on very low res to get rid of the steering lag.

Not just bashing it though . It needs to be said as well that nk pro has imho very good graphics and awesome features like visible tire wear so if it possible to run all that beaty in constant fps in 1.03 it is a defenately a plus.

But that's a lot of ifs
while i agree with you hyper its hard to ignore that this patch to a game which came out some 2 years ago and gets hyped by jaap as the second comming is basically doing little more than bringing nkp to 1.0 sellable status (and still has bugged collision detection by the looks of it)
True. 1.03 certainly isn't anything big as an upgrade for nkpro, it's more about proving that nkpro is alive

Still, the life after 1.03 is the defining factor for nk. I'd guess even jaap will get frustrated if kunos again just disappears. Just for jaap I really wish nk actually develops further than what it is now in beta. The future looks a bit dim though
Quite frankly I get the feeling 1.03 is just a "get off my back" from Kunos. Finally giving the community a somewhat usable product so he can **** off and do his own thing with BRD without feeling too guilty about it. I will be hugely surprised if 1.03 is followed by regular patches in the future (though I certainly wouldn't mind being proved wrong. )
Osella car and hillclimb thingy is supposed to be coming, huge emphasis on the "supposed" verb.

Of course it could be just called NKP 2.0 with new price tag.
Quote from wien :Quite frankly I get the feeling 1.03 is just a "get off my back" from Kunos. Finally giving the community a somewhat usable product so he can **** off and do his own thing with BRD without feeling too guilty about it. I will be hugely surprised if 1.03 is followed by regular patches in the future (though I certainly wouldn't mind being proved wrong. )

Sad to say, I have harboured those thoughts myself.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG