The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
wow...I can't wait to crash a 79 lotus f1 car haha
Quote from J.B. :Been trying it a bit, not too happy with it, certainly not for that kind of money.

Quick list of points:

-Tracks are fantastic, look great, mega accurate, fun to drive, LFS' main drawback.

-Physics feel very nice in the Solstice, but still has the typical fundamental GPL problems (use steering-induced understeer to go fast, use lot's of throttle under braking to improve balance).

-Great force feedback.

-Skip barber feels horrible, counter the turn-in oversteer by mashing the throttle, wtf?

-No brake force adjustments, wheels lockup all the time.

-Penalties for using the curbs are outright infuriating, last corner of Laguna anyone?

-Security rating is way too hard to improve, makes you scared of racing, maybe it was easier when there were less drivers in the beta.

-Extremely annoying security rating messages that come up in your face and can't be disabled

-Damage is ridiculous, get tapped on the rear, steering is bent, handling gone.

-Ugly, badly positioned HUD elements that can't be configured (needs LFS shift-f mode)

-No flags!

-Lack of information (I want the LFS track map).

-No names over cars to identify drivers.

-Reset allowed, teleport to pits doesn't even reset your lap counter, wtf?

-FPS counter keeps coming back on after I switch it off.

-Inconsistent framerate (40-110 fps) even at lowest settings, including some severe stutters.

-No replay saving.

-No data recording/analysis.

-Audio volume way to low, unadjustable, need to crank up my speakers until they hiss.

-In Quali a lap started shortly before the chequered doesn't count, wtf?

-Lack of European cars and tracks, stuff like Spa, Brands, GP2, DTM, F3 aren't on any list of future projects.

-Adds a service to Windows startup.

-Forced DirectX install.

-No split timing.

Uh, that's a longer list of issues that I thought it was going to be. Basically I think I would want either a mature version that doesn't feel like a beta and has tyre physics improvements or a light version that is a lot cheaper and limits me to driving offline, for the sake of the excellent tracks.

You just about summed it up, more or less. Just one thing though, it "FEELS" so much better than anything I have ever tried apart from real life that it is just "worth" it
Quote from spanks :wow...I can't wait to crash a 79 lotus f1 car haha

If any F1 car makes it into iRacing I will be jumping for joy A 70's or 80's F1 car would sooooo good. No offence to LFS but the BF1 is about the best modern F1 sim experience you can get these days, and its not exactly great.

iRacing has the bumps and the noise and the feel to make it something special.
Quote from RossUK :I'm having no problems with the sound here, in fact it sounds fantastic turned up, in comparison to LFS. hissing is usually a driver/speaker issue.

Actually game engine has sound level has set to 80% or so, just so that it's not at the max. It's been confirmed by devs and I think the official explanation was that it's set that way to prevent audio clipping.
The F1 cars sounds real blast! I hope iracing tweaks up the physics before they release it though, the radical is a bit iffy at times and in essence it has a lot of similarities with the vintage F1 car. Although I doubt it can't be as bad as the rf cars were though

---
As for jumping from one stuff to another (grammar whatever )

I've done about 3 skippie races so far and few more solstice races and there are few mistakes people seem to do all the time. One is the many laps down blue flagged cars hold to their "position" on the road to the tee of the rule book. They are most of the time really slow and have some strange lines but they still insist on making the lapping to done without them losing much time. It's not about roll over and die which I'm talking about, it's the common sense of not racing anyone but still holding leaders and in worst possibility putting someone out or changing the positions of the leaders,a ll due to selfishness imo. But in the eyes of the rules they are ok and they are thinking about that it is ok as well, no one has told them how to do it either!They are not fighting for a position so why make things hard and dangerous.

2nd part of this is the how to let pass people. Out of common sense you should hardly ever force the passing car to go past outside of corner, brake in front to let the other car pass "easily" or just be slow and try to not let him pass until front straight.

There are a few things like this. Sometimes you see cars stopping in the middle of the road to either get out of the sim or to just avoid a collision. Or when you jump a start and then have no idea what to do. Out of courtesy to others you should at least accelerate away from the grid with full throttle instead of stopping in the grid and look at the mirrors when you get five cars into your rear bumper. "Or when you spin, clutch and brakes in". It is way too often that I see a spun car going backwards over the racing track or just being totally unpredictable due the driver not stepping on the brakes...

I mean, iracing is only offering the SR for all this, no written stuff of any kind is available from the forums or in the sporting code. There is the use quide on the member's site (under instructions) but it's not ready and will probably cover different stuff. Some kind of small how-tos would make wonders, especially when you have people aboard who really seem to want to play fair and honest, like most people seem to do and mistakes that happen, were they as basic as they sometimes are, are always genuine and due to lack of info or knowledge. Having a small but tightly packed text file about it would imho help a lot
Lotus 79!
Talking of setup, does anyone know of some good pedals not more than £100 that are standalone?

Yeah I know this should be posted in hardware, but go on, tell me anyway
I think for less than 100, it could be an ebay job
Quote from StableX :I think for less than 100, it could be an ebay job

I need to find someone from the UK who can sell me a Act Labs set, otherwise shipping and duty are a bit much...

No luck on eBay though
Pricing will be its downfall.

If LFS was pay to play itdve cost me £0.40 a month... thats the best value entertainment.. actually, anything iv ever spent money on.

Well done Scawen
Since no sign (or huh?) of the Daytona Prototurtle that was announced two months ago, the Lotus might take some time.
Quote from deggis :Since no sign (or huh?) of the Daytona Prototurtle that was announced two months ago, the Lotus might take some time.

Quote :Additional data gathering is underway, and the same version of the car that the Grand-Am professionals will use for their race rehearsals will be available to all iRacing subscribers later this year.

I doubt they would release both cars at the same time though. My guess is that we see the iracing proto before scirocco and the 79 a lot before nkpro 1.03
Quote from tenmantaylor :Pricing will be its downfall.

I thought the same. See the first page of this thread. I called for a sim community protest. I was wrong. Despite its short-comings (which there are many), it offers something fantastic.

Quote from deggis :Since no sign (or huh?) of the Daytona Prototurtle that was announced two months ago, the Lotus might take some time.

I thought the same thing as well. Plus the 2 "coming soon" cars on the cars news page [a sprint (dirt) car and a spec racer] haven't had any progress either.
Quote from srdsprinter :Plus the 2 "coming soon" cars on the cars news page [a sprint (dirt) car and a spec racer] haven't had any progress either.

How do you know they haven't made progress with these cars? Are you part of the development team? For all we know they could be released next week...
Quote from Michael Denham :How do you know they haven't made progress with these cars? Are you part of the development team? For all we know they could be released next week...

They haven't progressed from the "coming soon" part of the news page.

Surely they're being developed, but their status hasn't changed for as long as I've known of the car news page.
Quote from J.B. :Been trying it a bit, not too happy with it, certainly not for that kind of money.

Quick list of points:

-Tracks are fantastic, look great, mega accurate, fun to drive, LFS' main drawback.

-Physics feel very nice in the Solstice, but still has the typical fundamental GPL problems (use steering-induced understeer to go fast, use lot's of throttle under braking to improve balance).

-Great force feedback.

-Skip barber feels horrible, counter the turn-in oversteer by mashing the throttle, wtf?

-No brake force adjustments, wheels lockup all the time.

-Penalties for using the curbs are outright infuriating, last corner of Laguna anyone?

-Security rating is way too hard to improve, makes you scared of racing, maybe it was easier when there were less drivers in the beta.

-Extremely annoying security rating messages that come up in your face and can't be disabled

-Damage is ridiculous, get tapped on the rear, steering is bent, handling gone.

-Ugly, badly positioned HUD elements that can't be configured (needs LFS shift-f mode)

-No flags!

-Lack of information (I want the LFS track map).

-No names over cars to identify drivers.

-Reset allowed, teleport to pits doesn't even reset your lap counter, wtf?

-FPS counter keeps coming back on after I switch it off.

-Inconsistent framerate (40-110 fps) even at lowest settings, including some severe stutters.

-No replay saving.

-No data recording/analysis.

-Audio volume way to low, unadjustable, need to crank up my speakers until they hiss.

-In Quali a lap started shortly before the chequered doesn't count, wtf?

-Lack of European cars and tracks, stuff like Spa, Brands, GP2, DTM, F3 aren't on any list of future projects.

-Adds a service to Windows startup.

-Forced DirectX install.

-No split timing.

Uh, that's a longer list of issues that I thought it was going to be. Basically I think I would want either a mature version that doesn't feel like a beta and has tyre physics improvements or a light version that is a lot cheaper and limits me to driving offline, for the sake of the excellent tracks.

i'm currious, did you try a months subscription to iracing?

if you did, rather than trying someone else's subscription, then i'm wondering why you didn't spend the money on an lfs licence.

i'm not having a go and for all i know your forum status may be inaccurate but i'm just curious.
/me chuckles.. J.B is fully S2 licenced He's from the earliest days when the LFS forum didn't exist and everyone conversed on the RSC forums. He preferred to carry that name over from there, and he's in our list of demo users with S2 licences
Quote from J.B. :In Quali a lap started shortly before the chequered doesn't count, wtf?

I didn't want to respond to your post originally, as I don't want to come over as the defensive iRacing-crusader on the LS forums when you (re)raise some valid arguments, but If the flag drops after you have crossed the line, the lap definitely counts! I myself am a master at driving like a muppet until I see a chequered flag, and have driven plenty of valid qualify-times in the very last lap of the session, as people were disconnecting.

All your other points are based on opinions really; I don't mind the SR system, and will race everybody and anything, anywhere, even though I am almost at 4.99 rating D level and rising. Just out of curiosity, why do you want a hardcore reset-option that resets your lap counter, but you do mind the 'harsh' SR system?

The sim definitely has some major missing elements, such as the mentioned split times, replay saving, flags, pitstops and the missing European tracks, but all other mentioned items are just things that are not really needed to make a great sim - who really cares about having a track map or names over cars? At some point you just know the track, and also the people you're racing with based on their paint scheme.
Of course, nothing can be as easy as I hope.

I bought, downloaded and installed the game last night. After going through the quick start program I made sure my wheel was working and fired up the game. After it loaded, I saw one frame of the LRP pitlane, then 10 seconds of black, and then another frame. After about two minutes of this an error message came up (a dreaded blue screen with a bunch of crap I didn't understand). I've tried modifying all my game settings and nothing seems to work. It really pisses me off because I know by the time my dad gets around to checking out what happened I'll probably have an hour left of subsrciption time. My only guess is that my computer can't handle the game, even though my dad confirmed the specs would be fine.
Quote from Rappa Z :Of course, nothing can be as easy as I hope.

I bought, downloaded and installed the game last night. After going through the quick start program I made sure my wheel was working and fired up the game. After it loaded, I saw one frame of the LRP pitlane, then 10 seconds of black, and then another frame. After about two minutes of this an error message came up (a dreaded blue screen with a bunch of crap I didn't understand). I've tried modifying all my game settings and nothing seems to work. It really pisses me off because I know by the time my dad gets around to checking out what happened I'll probably have an hour left of subsrciption time. My only guess is that my computer can't handle the game, even though my dad confirmed the specs would be fine.

If you're sure your specs are ok, why not email to the iracing support and ask them about it? What kind of specs you have?

EDIT: the linky: http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/help.jsp
Quote from Jertje :I didn't want to respond to your post originally, as I don't want to come over as the defensive iRacing-crusader on the LS forums when you (re)raise some valid arguments, but If the flag drops after you have crossed the line, the lap definitely counts! I myself am a master at driving like a muppet until I see a chequered flag, and have driven plenty of valid qualify-times in the very last lap of the session, as people were disconnecting.

All your other points are based on opinions really; I don't mind the SR system, and will race everybody and anything, anywhere, even though I am almost at 4.99 rating D level and rising. Just out of curiosity, why do you want a hardcore reset-option that resets your lap counter, but you do mind the 'harsh' SR system?

The sim definitely has some major missing elements, such as the mentioned split times, replay saving, flags, pitstops and the missing European tracks, but all other mentioned items are just things that are not really needed to make a great sim - who really cares about having a track map or names over cars? At some point you just know the track, and also the people you're racing with based on their paint scheme.

Of course my views are based on opinions, isn't that the point?

You're right that some points are very minor as it's just an unordered list with the intention of summing up my iRacing experience. I didn't want to make an ultra long post that nobody would read but let's discuss the points you're interested in.

Quali Flag: maybe there was another reason why my laps didn't count. Do SR penalties for using too much curb cause this?

Car reset and SR: car reset just destroys any feeling of immersion and the fact that the laps don't get reset means there is no reason at all to drive into the pits yourself. Although I'm not sure, do you even get repaired if drive into the pits without reset? I don't really know what connection you make between what I said about resets and what I said about SR. For me the SR is just too difficult. The highest I ever had was 3.0 rookie but it dropped down to 2.3 in between and is now back to 2.5. In 2 of my last 4 races I was tapped from the side on the straight right after the start (ruining my car) and in the other 2 people spun in front of me before the first corner. Add in that I get penalties for using curbs about once a lap and it's not surprising I'm having problems with SR. The highest SR gain I ever got, after an almost perfect race, was +0.1. That means I would need about 15 hours of uninterrupted, perfect racing before I'm even allowed to race the skip barber that I paid 15$ for...

Track map and names over cars: the way I drive in LFS is shift-F mode all the time, with shift-F and some other HUD controls mapped to my wheel. When I need some specific information I shift-F, have a look, and turn it off again. Sort of like a pit board. In iRacing I find it difficult to get the information I need. If I don't even see the names of the drivers I might as well be racing against AI. In real racing you know your 20 odd opponents and what they look like before you even get to the track. Again, it's just some info I switch on for a moment when I need the info so I fail to see how that detracts from the pureness of the sim. Track map is the same thing. It just helps you see what's going on in the race, information that you would get via radio/pitboard in real racing. Right now in iRacing you need to navigate through F1/F3 menus to get any useful race information.

All that said, the most important part of any sim is of course the physics. What's a shame here is that after being thrilled during my first few outings, the more I drive now the less I like it. The feel is great but once you try to really get on the limit and reduce lap times I feel that the physics encourage you to use unrealistic driving styles such as always staying on the throttle a little bit, using loads of steering lock to balance and slow down the car and yanking the car into oversteer by banging down the gears.

And there is definitely an issue with the way the game responds to my brake pedal. I spent some time looking at the bar graphs during braking and the brake pedal often jumps to full depression when I'm only at about half way travel. I checked in the driver and in LFS and it's not a problem with my pedal.

Bottom line is that any sim is only as good as its tyre model and I'm not sure that statistic based models are ever going to be good enough. And before you flame me, no LFS physics aren't perfect either not they're not far behind and better in some areas.
Qualify laps with incidents do not count, you need a clean lap. There's no penalty for using too much curb, but if you go too far and end up using paved runoff area too (LS last turn is good example), you'll get 1x incident point for going off track. Center-point of the car must stay over track or curb. Reset sends you back to the pits and if you're near the end of the lap, it makes perfect sense to drive into pits and across the finish line so you don't get one full lap behind.

Time-trial is a good way to improve your Safety Rating if it feels like races are not going so well, but contacts require two cars and no one gets high SR just due to having a good luck in avoiding accidents.

As for names, they're just not needed. Because of the way rating system works, you'll start to see same drivers often enough that you recognise them by car colors. Me and Jertje have been in same races so many times that I can almost remember his helmet color too
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG