The online racing simulator
Rally Stages
(29 posts, started )
Rally Stages
I know this isn't everyeones cup of tea so please don't bite my head off when i suggest it.

Rally Stages - One long track single track or double track road, where each racer gets set off at 30 second or 60 second intervals. Now yes people will catch up on other people in the race but then it is there duty to let you past where ever they can. This means that there would have to be Rally Cars situated in the game aswell such as subaru, mitsubishi etc...

It is something that would need alot of work but i don't know i like the idea, but the thing gets me is people are going to say this is a track racing simulator...then why have the BL2 and the FE dirt tracks, these are "Rally" circuits so why not have a long single track stage(s) that we could have monthly rallys on, over 4-5 stages, i don't know. It is more something we would see in S6 never mind S3, lol.

I am a bigger fan of that type of racing rather than track racing thats why i suggested it .
#2 - Bean0
BL2 and the FE ones are RallyX (Rally Cross), which is a circuit racing discipline...part dirt, part tarmac.

I would like to see stage rallying brought into the game at some point though.
I think one championship was set up that used layouts to keep people on the grass at the side of tracks, sorta creating rally stages.
I also like rallydriving, but it just won't fit in the way which LFS goes.
Also you should get richard burns rally, if you dont have already.
What do you mean "the way LFS goes"?

If it's race starting like rally stages with gaps and the like then no problem, people would make inSim apps to control starting/timing/points etc. LFS doesn't have to lose development time redesigning it's race selection system because of that. It's the tracks and cars LFS needs, couple of long stages and knobblies for GTRs, and I really don't think that sort of thing has been mentioned here, ever

Sorry if I mis-enterpreted your statment.
Rally stages have been suggested before, and it's been universally agreed as something that would be fantastic.

However, it would sort of betray the online aspect since you're on your own. The only way to do it would be staggered starts (I suggested maybe 15 or 30 seconds), but then you'd have some drivers forced to sit and wait for several minutes in busy races. And there's the issue of faster drivers catching slower ones and trying to find overtaking space on a rally course. It could be a nightmare.

They could always sell out and do it like the last CMR games with the rival players as ghosts, but I always hate that. Super Special Stages would be good fun though, and could be added easily within current LFS specs.
Quote from Dajmin :Rally stages have been suggested before, and it's been universally agreed as something that would be fantastic.

However, it would sort of betray the online aspect since you're on your own. The only way to do it would be staggered starts (I suggested maybe 15 or 30 seconds), but then you'd have some drivers forced to sit and wait for several minutes in busy races. And there's the issue of faster drivers catching slower ones and trying to find overtaking space on a rally course. It could be a nightmare.

They could always sell out and do it like the last CMR games with the rival players as ghosts, but I always hate that. Super Special Stages would be good fun though, and could be added easily within current LFS specs.

First of all. That is the whole point of "Rallying" you set your own pace. With other people on the road it gives you a buzz, yes people will catch up on other folk but thats the fun off it, and rallying occurs on normal roads and there is normally passing places or if it is a double track road you have enough space to get passed them, and as for forrest's there is always wee cut off points for peopel to pull in and all of it is ment to happen. As for the timing yes 30 seconds is the designated timing for daylight and 60 seconds for night stages. I'm a junior rally marshal thats another reason why im interested. People having to wait, well what they could have is, people in the car park, driving around until say 10 seconds before there starting time? I mean that is way to complicated, i mean your going to have to wait that amount of time anyway for a circuit race for everyone to press restart, you get nOObs just crashing etc...i mean sometimes the races might move faster. It is just something that would be good to see, to be honest there doesn't even need to be new cars we could just use new tracks.

Quote from fraghetti :I also like rallydriving, but it just won't fit in the way which LFS goes.
Also you should get richard burns rally, if you dont have already.

Explain to us why it own't fit in. LFS is a racing simulator, and "Rallying" is a type of racing. Sure your not bashing into each other to get pole position but your still in a car driving fast, to get the best overall time, isn't that what racing is? To get the fastest time wither your on the track with soemone else or not.
Rallying is my favourite form of racing as I do a bit of it myself Would absolutely love this sort of thing to be implemented into LFS. It could happen. You never know, I got my fingers crossed that it will
+1

Now where did that Rally pack ever go to...
We all want that. I bought RBR instead though, because at least that's available now

And yes I understand that rallying isn't normally a direct competition, but I think if a faster driver had to overtake a slower driver it could get frustrating and is likely to lead to arguments or people quitting races.

And of course I guess rally is out until the rocket launching collisions can get sorted
I think rally racing is a solo endeavor and wouldn't work online. 32 people waiting to drive alone down a track...stick to RBR.
Quote from flymike91 :stick to RBR.

I have the feeling although RBR is better than any other rally game, it still doesn't feel very real.
Having rally cars and stages in LFS would sure be more thrilling.

I'm completely for rally stages... and if they're only driven offline, so be it. Where's the problem?

The real problem - I think - are the stages themselves. Rally isn't that much fun if you know the tracks by heart like you know circuits (that's what makes circuits boring to me). No matter how long the stages are: you will know them after a certain time. And some people will practice them like stupid... and after a few days we can download THE one and only set... and all the funny stuff that makes circuit racing in LFS a bit boring will happen to rally, too.

I mean look at LFS circuit racing: some guys have driven thousands of laps on certain circuits. How realistic is that? There's not much experimenting in setups and sure no experimenting in racing anymore.

Now imagine rally in LFS. The "spirit" will be dead after a week or so.
This has been discussed lots before, and I believe there were some interesting ideas regarding stages... Something about monthly rotating stages, community developped and dev-approved and whatnot, do a search
#13 - pipa
+1 would really like to see this happen
Quote from Gil07 :This has been discussed lots before, and I believe there were some interesting ideas regarding stages... Something about monthly rotating stages, community developped and dev-approved and whatnot, do a search

I did mate, couldn't find anything as detailed as what i suggested.
Quote from Bandit77 :The real problem...
The "spirit" will be dead after a week or so.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Sure, people practice for thousands of laps, but that doesn't mean you have to. So if you enjoy rally racing and want to survive on little more than your co-driver's instructions and your gut instinct, nobody is stopping you doing that.

The thing LFS would benefit from more than anything if you're looking at a decent rally mode, is stages which change as you drive over them. A little like the new Sega Rally's deformable roads, so that you can't rely on a groove being there when you get to a track section, and something that can throw you wildly off course if you hit a ridge. Especially if we're talking random order staggered starts. That way it'll be just interesting enough to keep people on their toes, even if they have memorised the corners.
Quote from Dajmin :
The thing LFS would benefit from more than anything if you're looking at a decent rally mode, is stages which change as you drive over them. A little like the new Sega Rally's deformable roads, so that you can't rely on a groove being there when you get to a track section, and something that can throw you wildly off course if you hit a ridge. Especially if we're talking random order staggered starts. That way it'll be just interesting enough to keep people on their toes, even if they have memorised the corners.

That, and random animal crossings, variable weather, dynamic dirt/rock on road, co-driver mistakes, cumulative mechanical trouble.... There's a lot to keep rallying from becoming hot lapping. Me, I just like to drive through scenery anyway, so even CMR is bearable....
It's actually no point to suggest stuff, yea yea, i like the idea +1 but how many times have Scawen actually made one of the suggest?
My suggest is that Scawen, Victor or Erik looks at each suggest, maybe try them or can reply one of the suggest.
If you look through the stickied thread that tracks almost all of the popular suggestions, a lot of them. In fact, either Y or Z had a whole range of new (albeit minor) fixes and tweaks that the community had been asking about for ages.

In the big picture I don't think there's anything we can suggest that is going to take him off his planned development schedule anyway, but at the same time we can't do any harm by covering things he might not have thought of.
Quote from Bandit77 :I have the feeling although RBR is better than any other rally game, it still doesn't feel very real.
Having rally cars and stages in LFS would sure be more thrilling.

I'm completely for rally stages... and if they're only driven offline, so be it. Where's the problem?

The real problem - I think - are the stages themselves. Rally isn't that much fun if you know the tracks by heart like you know circuits (that's what makes circuits boring to me). No matter how long the stages are: you will know them after a certain time. And some people will practice them like stupid... and after a few days we can download THE one and only set... and all the funny stuff that makes circuit racing in LFS a bit boring will happen to rally, too.

I mean look at LFS circuit racing: some guys have driven thousands of laps on certain circuits. How realistic is that? There's not much experimenting in setups and sure no experimenting in racing anymore.

Now imagine rally in LFS. The "spirit" will be dead after a week or so.

u ever tough why people play rbr a lot even if they have played the tracks 1000 times? the spirit will not go out for anyone. the spirit of driving rally goes off if you dont love that type of racing.
but more on topic, i think if LFS would have rally patch, it should include pacenotes
#20 - JJ72
anyone realistically think about how long it would take, in LFS's pace, to make a rally stage?........I mean, a proper one at least 10mins long.
Quote from JJ72 :anyone realistically think about how long it would take, in LFS's pace, to make a rally stage?........I mean, a proper one at least 10mins long.

yep. something hard and on small roads cos i see that some people get bored if they know the tack by heart. hardnes makes it harder to learn
Quote from Dajmin :

What about starting everyone at the same time, you wouldn't catch the other guy at the front but those who would be starting at the arse end of the road order get a more deformed track? Admittedly it isn't exactly based on the other guys but it would make it quicker.

Quote :They could always sell out and do it like the last CMR games with the rival players as ghosts, but I always hate that.

Did they have rivals as visible ghosts? Visible ghosts are annoying but doing all the players at the same time would probably be sensible idea to cut down on the waiting.

Quote from Gil07 :This has been discussed lots before, and I believe there were some interesting ideas regarding stages... Something about monthly rotating stages, community developped and dev-approved and whatnot, do a search

I don't want to go on an LFS business model bashing, but community developed and developer approved LFS-style content for LFS would freshen things up (rally stages, normal cars and tracks or lawnmowers).
Before we get those i think what we need is

THIS
Wow, i'm back after a long year.

I'm guessing nothing has happend regarding this subject?

Rally Stages
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG