The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Pity that:

There is no pitting
There is no flag usage implemented yet
There are RESETS allowed in the races.....wtf?
Tyre modelling and set ups are in their infancy......tyre pressures, temperatures and wear are not best impimented at all, therefore it is a bit crap for the budding sim engineer
There is a severe lack of data available for the cars
Transmission modelling is well not there really, neither is engine damage and such.
It costs a fair bit
You cannot save replays
There is no way to use a data logger for analysing your racing data as yet.
I could go on....!

At least some of the above really should be fundamental to a new sim. Also the LFS CTRA system is not a million miles from the iRacing ratings sytem.....How much have they spent on developing iRacing ????WOW! Sam and his CTRA system and of course LFS in general is very impressive when budgets are concerned.

But anyway....LOL......I am really loving iRacing has the best actual driving experience I have tried in a sim, you can almost feel the yaw angle through the corners, well you know what I mean It will be pretty darned good and when a lot of the above negative stuff is included.
Erk, just found out there are no pit stops today... blew a tire about 8 laps in while 1st and thought that my tyre would be replaced at the pits, but no, so I ended wasting a good lap and coming nearly last

Need to be more careful on the brakes I guess.
Quote from RossUK :Erk, just found out there are no pit stops today... blew a tire about 8 laps in while 1st and thought that my tyre would be replaced at the pits, but no, so I ended wasting a good lap and coming nearly last

Need to be more careful on the brakes I guess.

anddddddd thats why there are resets. (sorry, just using you as an example :P)

I think people are being a little short sighted on the topic of resets. Do you want to be taken out in an inevitable incident and not be able to finish the race?

Say you come around a blind corner into a 3 car pileup with no yellow and you break everything and get 16 incident points or whatever on the first lap and you can't reset to gain your SR points back?

Or you blow a tire and go to the pits and remember there are no pit stops...gg to your safety rating, or you reset and finish and not take as big of a hit.

I think resets are a bit of a band-aide at the moment, but a much needed one.
Quote from spanks :
I think resets are a bit of a band-aide at the moment, but a much needed one.

I do see your point spanks, although accidents are not always inevitable. I still feel that resets should not be allowed whether the incident is your fault or not, but you could argue that yellow flags are not in the sim yet, the pits don't work....hmm! meh fair enough for now I'll let them stay
The real question is... how do you pop a tyre 8 laps in? You must've been locking the brakes from the entry of the brake-zone all the way into the turning point, every corner?
I dunno, It seems like I have to bairly touch the brakes in the Rookie Sol and it locks, the biggest problem being T1 in Leguna. Thing is I'm sure I was locking up less in that race than my previous races, yet thats the first tyre problem I've had.

Should probably try putting some foam under the brakes, it seems way to sensitive atm (DFP).

EDIT: but basically its down to not enough practice...
Quote from Quint999 :
I've ordered one of the USB dongle things Spank mentioned above & hopefully it'll have arrived today, will see what difference that makes.

Cool tell me how it goes, if it works well I'll buy one. I may have enough money to get a decent set of pedals soon or a G25, but we'll see.

I think the main problem is the lack of feel the DFP pedal gives you.

EDIT: Yeah I realised the calibration issue also, but by the time I reach the end of the pit exit I'm sure to have pressed the brake pedal fully to get used to the feel.
I also ordered the pedal box thingamabob - people seem really positive about it on the forums, and from previous experiences most people know what they're talking about there!, I hope it actually does something for my DFGT - the sites indicates compatibility with the DFP, so I assume it is also compatible with the DFGT. Either way that'll be one additional cable I can tuck away behind my desk instead of having it sitting there in case I stick my wheel on
Arg? I did a Rookie Solstice race at Laguna last night, 0 incidents, and my SR went down??? 3.46 -> 3.43. WTH?

Anyone else had this happen?
Quote from AlienT. :Pity that:

There is no pitting
There is no flag usage implemented yet
There are RESETS allowed in the races.....wtf?
Tyre modelling and set ups are in their infancy......tyre pressures, temperatures and wear are not best impimented at all, therefore it is a bit crap for the budding sim engineer
There is a severe lack of data available for the cars
Transmission modelling is well not there really, neither is engine damage and such.
It costs a fair bit
You cannot save replays
There is no way to use a data logger for analysing your racing data as yet.
I could go on....!

At least some of the above really should be fundamental to a new sim. Also the LFS CTRA system is not a million miles from the iRacing ratings sytem.....How much have they spent on developing iRacing ????WOW! Sam and his CTRA system and of course LFS in general is very impressive when budgets are concerned.

But anyway....LOL......I am really loving iRacing has the best actual driving experience I have tried in a sim, you can almost feel the yaw angle through the corners, well you know what I mean It will be pretty darned good and when a lot of the above negative stuff is included.

I agree with you in most parts tbh I was really shocked that there is not even fuel/pitting/flags implemented.

It was a good experience to drive but imo it's still in beta (maybe more like LFS is atm) and so I decided to try it again maybe next year when hopefully the fundamental things are implemented. Sure shiny new tracks and cars etc. but for the money they want I expect much more.
Looks like I have to wait.
Quote from srdsprinter :Arg? I did a Rookie Solstice race at Laguna last night, 0 incidents, and my SR went down??? 3.46 -> 3.43. WTH?

Anyone else had this happen?

That's odd... did you get any incident points in warmup?
Quote from Blizzardo :That's odd... did you get any incident points in warmup?

Indeed. Incidents in warm-up don't show up in the race results, but behind the scenes they do count!
At long last, managed to do a skippy race on VIR South with no incidents and a 2nd place

So much fun but got to concentrate a lot!
Quote from Blizzardo :That's odd... did you get any incident points in warmup?

Quote from Jertje :Indeed. Incidents in warm-up don't show up in the race results, but behind the scenes they do count!

Ack! Indeed, I often drive like a goober in the warmup... never knew that'd be held against me...

Thanks for informing me, that's been holding my liscense back for a while now!
Quote from srdsprinter :Ack! Indeed, I often drive like a goober in the warmup... never knew that'd be held against me...

Thanks for informing me, that's been holding my liscense back for a while now!

I hope you weren't driving around LFS style, driving into people at full speed and watching them go skyward

/jk
Quote from StableX :At long last, managed to do a skippy race on VIR South with no incidents and a 2nd place

So much fun but got to concentrate a lot!

Nice one Andy , 5th place seems to be my destiny in most races, still not to worry theres always positive iR to be had with a 5th place finish....there's hope yet for this eternal mid packer....
I might give the Mazda a try, last time I took it out I was about 10 seconds behind Huttu's lap times
I'm currently trying to get the hang of the Skippy after I'm growing a little bored of racing around in the Solstice. I'm able to consistently drive low 1:49's at Laguna and the last 2 days in most of my races I've either been clear of the field running in 1st or I've driven behind some Alien who's driving <1:48.5's and therefor leaving me basically hotlapping the most of the race.

As I've said, I'm trying to get the hang of the Skippy @ VIR South right now. I've probably done a good 100laps of practice on the track and the best I've done sofar was a 1:17.7 which seems to be not very competetive as I've discovered when I was driving in one of the qualifyings. I finished 12th out of 14th with the above time... however I felt very honored to get crashed into by AJ Allmendinger - it's just something different to get hit by a Nascar driver (even though I dislike Nascar) .

To get back to my slowlyness in the Skippy, I'm not really sure how much is down to the setup I'm using. With the current setup I'm using, which I found on the iRacing forums, the car seems very loose to me. I'm trying my best to do most of by braking before the corner and make sure that I'm at least a little on the throttle in the corners to keep the rear from slipping away. I've also watched some 1:16 time laps on youtube and try to learn from them, however it seems as if they don't have to fight the 'loosyness' that I'm experying. I'm guessing it's down to my technique getting around corners as the way you brake and accelerate through the corners are different than in the Solstice and my setup.

How long did it take you guys to get the Skippy the track around relatively quick?

This is the longest post I've written here in my very short 26 post (I think it's 26, not many anyways) LFS forum career, so I hope I didn't put you to sleep...

PS: Anyone here got a Skippy setup for VIR South that is capable of 1:16's or maybe high 1:15's? I would greatly appreacite it if you're willing to share it
I ruined myself by driving the mazda and radical

The only cars that are fun to drive now are ones I can't race
lol happened to me aswell

re the skippy, i think a lot of it is being patient, a couple of times i've felt the cars progresssion from turn in to power on being 1 fluid event but its not consistent and only seems to occure when i've not been pushing.

my biggest problem is a lack of wheel time due to life but i still hope to one day spend some serious time on both iracing and lfs.

re setup, work on finding a set which is comfortable for you, don't worry too much about individual trach tweaks, just get the car feeling predictable, it can be tricky running the skippy for a race or a tt and a comfortable set will allow you to get into a groove and then you should see your times fall. in my case i created a set that suited me perfectly a few weeks ago and on each track i tried i was improving lap by lap but then my harddrive failed and predictably my setup hadnt been backed up so i'm trying to re create it for tomorrow evening, at least there are a lot less variables than in lfs to fiddle with
Blizzardo: Your pace is fine and should take you into good positions if you're consistent. Qualify times are very fast compared to actual race pace especially on this course because last turn is very critical but easy to get wrong. My PB is 1:16.8 flat and I don't try to drive that fast during the races, occasional 16.9's happen but only if I'm being pressured. Otherwise low to mid 17's in 2,5k SoF races will take you to podium.

For setup I'd still recommend 8 ARB and low front suspension, but changing tire pressures has big impact on car behavior. I wouldn't make setup too understeery because you need to "tame" the car and learn how to be smooth enough so it won't snap out. Eventually you'll find that it's not that difficult to drive and it might actually feel understeery in some places.

New car announced: iRacing Goes Vintage With Lotus 79 F1 Car
Been trying it a bit, not too happy with it, certainly not for that kind of money.

Quick list of points:

-Tracks are fantastic, look great, mega accurate, fun to drive, LFS' main drawback.

-Physics feel very nice in the Solstice, but still has the typical fundamental GPL problems (use steering-induced understeer to go fast, use lot's of throttle under braking to improve balance).

-Great force feedback.

-Skip barber feels horrible, counter the turn-in oversteer by mashing the throttle, wtf?

-No brake force adjustments, wheels lockup all the time.

-Penalties for using the curbs are outright infuriating, last corner of Laguna anyone?

-Security rating is way too hard to improve, makes you scared of racing, maybe it was easier when there were less drivers in the beta.

-Extremely annoying security rating messages that come up in your face and can't be disabled

-Damage is ridiculous, get tapped on the rear, steering is bent, handling gone.

-Ugly, badly positioned HUD elements that can't be configured (needs LFS shift-f mode)

-No flags!

-Lack of information (I want the LFS track map).

-No names over cars to identify drivers.

-Reset allowed, teleport to pits doesn't even reset your lap counter, wtf?

-FPS counter keeps coming back on after I switch it off.

-Inconsistent framerate (40-110 fps) even at lowest settings, including some severe stutters.

-No replay saving.

-No data recording/analysis.

-Audio volume way to low, unadjustable, need to crank up my speakers until they hiss.

-In Quali a lap started shortly before the chequered doesn't count, wtf?

-Lack of European cars and tracks, stuff like Spa, Brands, GP2, DTM, F3 aren't on any list of future projects.

-Adds a service to Windows startup.

-Forced DirectX install.

-No split timing.

Uh, that's a longer list of issues that I thought it was going to be. Basically I think I would want either a mature version that doesn't feel like a beta and has tyre physics improvements or a light version that is a lot cheaper and limits me to driving offline, for the sake of the excellent tracks.
HUD elements can be hidden via keyboard shortcuts, go to options and last tab which shows the list. There's no saved state for those settings yet so you'll have to click them away on every session. Track map and name overlays are not really wanted and I'm pretty sure hardcore majority would like to see whole HUD gone.

Windows service is required to use web interface and it only uses 1,1MB so I don't see the problem. As for forced DirectX install, I didn't notice any. Just downloaded stuff followed by quick install and that's it.
I'm having no problems with the sound here, in fact it sounds fantastic turned up, in comparison to LFS. hissing is usually a driver/speaker issue.

Most of the other points I agree with, but I would expect they would be fairly easy to fix/add.

I would like the option of a cheaper offline version. I don't really have the time to get the most out of the offline mode and a lot of the time I just find myself going round Leguna in the Radical just for the fun of it.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG