The online racing simulator
Is this kind of street racing legal?
(36 posts, started )
very few of these bikes had lights so i suppose the answer is no
Lol it should be legal but like shotglass said THEY NEED THOSE LIGHTS!
It would be as legal as street racing in cars (it is easy to hit speed limits on push bikes) and the chase bike/car filming the event broke a lot of traffic laws, however because they don't make as much noise or close off the street I suspect no one really cares about them doing it.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
exactly... if you cycle into a signpost and get hurt because youre not wearing a helmet or are run over the worst that could happen to anybody else is a broken bumper
we do have some silly health and safety rules these days but at least in the public eye most activities that only endanger your own life arent frowned upon... plus as w4h said this kind of racing requires talent
Looks like alot of those bikes/riders were messangers (Bunch of SS/track bikes). I still say mountain bikers are better though. . .
Quote from Shotglass :very few of these bikes had lights so i suppose the answer is no

since when bike is needed lights to be legal?
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
You will after dark on a public road.
-
(speed1) DELETED by speed1
As a cyclist, I know I should have lights and reflectors, but none of my bikes do. I took a hammer to the reflectors on my mountain bike (No point in having them IMO because cars dont drive on singletrack anyways). My road bike hasnt got them either (I bought it used). I know I should have them and lights but I dont, and I dont have a good reason not to. I think this is the way many cyclists are. More info. available apon request.
As far as I know in Estonia the bike has to have a white light in the front, a red light or a reflector on the back and yellow reflectors on the spokes. You need to wear a helmet, be sober and when you´re under 14, a license. I´m not 100% sure but I think the bell is also mandatory.

I broke and still break every one of those laws. I didn´t have a front light because I never needed it. It doesn´t really get pitch black around here in the summer and in the winter I rode in the town which has street lights. I had reflectors on spokes and on the back but thanks to my riding style they weren´t there for long. I´ve never worn a helmet on a bike. I´ve ridden while drunk. (I didn´t fall off.) I rode without a license when I was that young. I didn´t have a bell because my bike didn´t have it and frankly that´s just gay...

Even though there are so many rules about bikes I have never (and I mean never) heard anyone get in trouble with the law because they were riding an illegal bike or in the wrong place. I´ve ridden on the sidewalk with a totally busted up illegal bike in front of the police and they just don´t care.

I´m really a great role model.
Quote from Kalev EST : I rode without a license

You need a license? Around here the only time you need a licence to ride a bike is in racing (and that's more of a road thing or when you are racing in one of the higher catagorys, and I dont road race, and when I do MTB racing I do it an a lower Catagory)
Yep. When you´re under 14 you need a license to ride on public roads. You have to do a theory test and a riding test. But again, I´ve never heard anyone getting in trouble when they didn´t have it.
Quote from wheel4hummer :A kind of street racing that actually requires skill!

And is a good time too. We've only done a handful of alleycat races around here late at night - after 2-3am or so - can be good fun mostly because there's no actual predefined route, just checkpoints so if you get a crowd with all sorts of different bikes everyone needs to choose a route that gives them an edge. Get a crazy enough group and you can even stage some events in rainy nights. Amazingly enough, despite all the crazy antics we haven't had any injuries like the ones I've witnessed in formal races.
Quote from Kalev EST :Yep. When you´re under 14 you need a license to ride on public roads. You have to do a theory test and a riding test. But again, I´ve never heard anyone getting in trouble when they didn´t have it.

Interesting, I've been road riding sense I was around 10 (but not by myself until I was about 13) here in the US and I am glad we dont have anything like that.
Quote from speed1 :Interesting, I've been road riding sense I was around 10 (but not by myself until I was about 13) here in the US and I am glad we dont have anything like that.

glad its the same in here, i started off 3-4 old when i learnt to ride a bike without those things in your back wheel what keeps the bike from falling(we call em ''apupyörä/t'' but i dunno the english word)
No, I'm not talking about learning (3-4 is when I learned also), I mean riding on the road (ie. at this time I do absolutly no riding on the sidewalk [which is more dangous in many cases], with the only exeption being coming home from school, because the 16 and 17 YOs at my school cant drive)
Quote from speed1 :Interesting, I've been road riding sense I was around 10 (but not by myself until I was about 13) here in the US and I am glad we dont have anything like that.

In the past you used too, from what I've read while searching for some older bikes.

A friend of mine in Seattle is a messenger, it seems they were considering doing it in June.

(While looking for that I found this: http://urbanvelo.org/seattle-debates-bicycle-license/)
Very odd. I've honestly have never heard of this (infact, we were making fun of the Idea of a bike license on a MTB forum when someone misposted) I need to be able to ride on the road to get to work and school as I cant yet drive. So a license would really stink.
Bikes, girls, drugs, sex ... what else you want?
neonzzz n spoilerz n bodykitz n slickz
Quote from tristancliffe :You will after dark on a public road.

which in finland means 6 months straight so id guess the answer is yes

Quote from xaotik :Amazingly enough, despite all the crazy antics we haven't had any injuries like the ones I've witnessed in formal races.

the world seems to operate in unexpected ways when youre doing something that looking at it objectively is plain stupid... somehow the more stupid your stunt is the more laws of physics decide to not even bother to watch you and youll be much safer than if you did anthing that is safe in the first place
Quote from Shotglass :the world seems to operate in unexpected ways when youre doing something that looking at it objectively is plain stupid... somehow the more stupid your stunt is the more laws of physics decide to not even bother to watch you and youll be much safer than if you did anthing that is safe in the first place

Either that or the crowd that attended knew how to roll a fall (having ample chances to practice) and since in wintertime quite alot of us were in denims or such it minimized the chances of road rash. But still I prefer your explanation.

(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG