The online racing simulator
Quote from HVS5b :....
When all the interiors are complete I hope FCV becomes integral to the game

Oh,....... so having it as a server setting isn't enough? Well if you want to force EVERYONE to use the same view, then you should force everyone to use G25. I'm sure servers will be full no doubt.

There's 550~ odd servers open now (not private/not cruise). About 60 are populated and of those only about 4 have FCV enabled. So I guess forcing cockpit view everywhere will make things much busier.
I always used the cockpit view since I have my wheel(s) (back in NFSU1 times), only when I drive with a gamepad (on my notebook) I tend to use the chase view (like back in GT1&2)
For me custom views are faster in the formula cars, I like to set the camera a bit higher so I can see more of the front wheels and get a bit of a better view of the road ahead. As im over 6ft1 (bout 1m85-90) Id argue my custom view is closer to my reality than the forced cockpit view. Average F1 drivers are 5ft7ish.

Running at a large FOV (60-70sdeg) on a 19" monitor massively restricts how far ahead you can see accurately. For this window through which we view the racing world to be accurately deep (ie something positioned 100m in the distance looks the size on screen it would in RL) an FOV of more like 20-40 would be more accurate but this is too restrictive as you cant see whats alongside you.
It's quite strange for me, as before I found LFS, every other racing game I played I'd always use the chase cam. I think it was a combination of finding LFS and beginning to drive cars in real life that made me want to drive from the cockpit view. So ever since I first drove on LFS, I used the cockpit view. Like others have said, being a Sim, using anything else just seems silly to me. Like hyperactive said, it also encourages you to look further ahead on the track which is one of the first things they teach you about track driving in real life.

One thing I would like would be the ability to change the angle / FOV of the wing-mirrors.
Quote from JasonJ :Oh,....... so having it as a server setting isn't enough? Well if you want to force EVERYONE to use the same view, then you should force everyone to use G25. I'm sure servers will be full no doubt.

There's 550~ odd servers open now (not private/not cruise). About 60 are populated and of those only about 4 have FCV enabled. So I guess forcing cockpit view everywhere will make things much busier.

Oh, sorry, was that me voicing an opinion again. I forgot that wasn't allowed on the internet

And what, pray, does FCV have to do with a G25?

Sounds like most (+50%) folks drive cockpit anyway

My mistake, I didn't take into account the difficulties this would produce whilst hammering it round the cruise servers

Ever tried a DMR server? Had any problems? Do they have a problem with quality of racers or numbers? Do you know what I'm talking about?
@ mrodgers

I think some of your screenshots are at different FOV (a slight niggle in your pudding tasting)

All views are the same speed, using a tailored view may help improve speed or help with confidence in controling the car, but it is not faster option
All those days of NFS and other games made me sell my soul to chase view. I can use custom view for some servers were chase is the only one disallowed, but along with completly sucking in cockpit view my fps go to the toilet.

Since I'm doomed to chase, of course it has to be faster for me.
#33 - arco
Cockpit view, FTW!! Chase view is for NFS and arcade games, and has no place in a real racing simulator!

Someone once posted a great and funny picture about all the "realistic" driver positions that LFS provided. It's buried somewhere else in this forum, but I can't find it.
for LFS i use bonnet view as seeing 2 steering wheels is so off putting, i kinda use my windscreen as my monitor screen. But strangly i find the cockpit on Iracing alot more user freindly.
i could race LFS in cockpit view but it just takes away the sense of speed and the enjoyment for me.

guess i'll never be an alien then
You can turn the steering wheel off in the menu.
I used to use the 'wheels view' but without visible wheels...sorta like most nosecam views.

It's probably taken a good 3-4 months to get used to the cockpit view, and I am still not as confident when racing in a tight pack. But what the hell, rubbing is racing aye ?
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :@ mrodgers

I think some of your screenshots are at different FOV (a slight niggle in your pudding tasting)

Yes they are. It's the first time I've put LFS into wheels view or chase view since around November 2005, when I replaced my computer and my FPS allowed me to move from wheels to cockpit view. I have the FOV in cockpit to a more realistic view 50-60 (dependent of car, but I have to have the gauges) and other views are at default.

My point being, you don't want to be looking at how close you are to the wall in South City, or exactly where your tires are at the apex of a circuit. You want to be looking ahead at the following corner. At the point you are at the apex, it is too late to correct anything and you should be preparing to exit the corner or setting up for the next corner at this point.

Quote from Hyperactive :As for the point of looking at where you are going and not where you are. There are few exceptions or should I say adjustments to those. First off on some corners the shape of the track or some other objects may block your vision when inside the cockpit but not from a roof view or chase view. The corner is a lot easier when you can see where the apex is and where the exit kerbs are.

With experience, you do not need to see where exactly that corner is or where the apex is, that's the point. You should know where it is and you should know exactly where your car is in relation without needing to see. In my real car, I can not see either front or rear bumper. But when my wife pulls behind and parks in the driveway (what do you guys call that?) and I have to wiggle my car out from between the garage door and her car, I back up within half an inch of her car and pull up within half an inch of the garage door to wiggle it out. I don't need to see exactly where my bumper is, because I know exactly where it is from the relationship of my view sitting in the driver's seat.

Drive your real vehicle over towards the side of the road and put your tires directly on the edge. You should be able to easily do that without needing someone hanging out the window directing you or moving your side mirror down to see the tires of your car. You can do this because you know the car and have the dimensional relationship of the car within your mind with experience of driving said car. Same with sim racing and cornering the apex. There's no need to be looking at the apex and your wheel's positioning on it.
For some people chase view might be faster and obviously it has advantages but it's certainly not realistic. I tried chase view for fun a few times but I simply can't drive in that view. I could learn it if I wanted to but for me LFS is not only a game, it's a (car) racing simulator and I can't use chase view IRL (nor I would want to) so I try to setup LFS to be as close to real life as I can.

Bad quality picture, beware:

Quote from mrodgers :With experience, you do not need to see where exactly that corner is or where the apex is, that's the point. You should know where it is and you should know exactly where your car is in relation without needing to see. In my real car, I can not see either front or rear bumper. But when my wife pulls behind and parks in the driveway (what do you guys call that?) and I have to wiggle my car out from between the garage door and her car, I back up within half an inch of her car and pull up within half an inch of the garage door to wiggle it out. I don't need to see exactly where my bumper is, because I know exactly where it is from the relationship of my view sitting in the driver's seat.

Drive your real vehicle over towards the side of the road and put your tires directly on the edge. You should be able to easily do that without needing someone hanging out the window directing you or moving your side mirror down to see the tires of your car. You can do this because you know the car and have the dimensional relationship of the car within your mind with experience of driving said car. Same with sim racing and cornering the apex. There's no need to be looking at the apex and your wheel's positioning on it.

It is all very easy when you have loads of time, attempts and visibility to get it right. But it all changes when you are going over 100mph into a corner where you have to maneuver through multiple apexes within few inches off the walls. It is easier to aim the the car through the corners when you can see where you are and where you are going instead of building and updating a picture in your mind. Especially when you can see where you are going. Hitting the apexes becames quite hard when there's car in front of you (if you are using cockpit view).

Here are two pictures that show one situation from two views. There is defenetive adventage imho.

as was said above. If you're looking at where you are, you've lost already.

Know your marks. Know where you brake, know where the track is... the other car shouldnt matter unless they force you to slow down, and even then, you should still have enough situational awareness to work through it.

Quote from Hyperactive :It is all very easy when you have loads of time, attempts and visibility to get it right. But it all changes when you are going over 100mph into a corner where you have to maneuver through multiple apexes within few inches off the walls. It is easier to aim the the car through the corners when you can see where you are and where you are going instead of building and updating a picture in your mind. Especially when you can see where you are going. Hitting the apexes becames quite hard when there's car in front of you (if you are using cockpit view).

Here are two pictures that show one situation from two views. There is defenetive adventage imho.

Quote from mrodgers :
With experience, you do not need to see where exactly that corner is or where the apex is, that's the point. You should know where it is and you should know exactly where your car is in relation without needing to see. In my real car, I can not see either front or rear bumper. But when my wife pulls behind and parks in the driveway (what do you guys call that?) and I have to wiggle my car out from between the garage door and her car, I back up within half an inch of her car and pull up within half an inch of the garage door to wiggle it out. I don't need to see exactly where my bumper is, because I know exactly where it is from the relationship of my view sitting in the driver's seat.

There is one VERY IMPORTANT thing you have forgotten there Mike...although I agree 100% with you about the ability to know where you are and the distance to your bumpers etc in your drive....LFS is represented in 2D on a screen, not in real 3D with full depth perception (No matter HOW good your GFX card is ) that happens in real life.
Try a little experiment (but dont blame me when your wife smashes a pan over your head for denting her car or the garage )
Try manoevering your car from the same situation WEARING AN EYEPATCH..so that you can only see out of one eye..

"See" what I mean?

PS, For the record...I use a slightly modified cockpit view..a bit closer to the windscreen and a bit more central so that I have a clearer view past the dorpost.
I use chase veiw, and FOC on 110.
It's because I like to see the car I driving. There's no other good reasons, it's just something I like to use in most driving games
Quote from Bladerunner :
Try manoeuvring your car from the same situation WEARING AN EYEPATCH..so that you can only see out of one eye..

Hey! I can only see out of one eye anyway. Should i try your experiment blindfolded?
Quote from HVS5b :

Ever tried a DMR server? Had any problems? Do they have a problem with quality of racers or numbers? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Cockpit in every racing game. And with the camera Hack it´s even more fun, since the car will move instead of the whole screen.

Unfortunately you can´t look left or right, but there are mirrors for that!
Quote from NikLaw :Cockpit in every racing game. And with the camera Hack it´s even more fun, since the car will move instead of the whole screen.

Unfortunately you can´t look left or right, but there are mirrors for that!

I don't understand your comment here on the whole screen moving. Are you talking about the view of the track bouncing around from you hitting bumps?

If that's it, you can get rid of that with the default LFS controls. It was a surprise when the slider's defaults changed in patch Y (I think) and suddenly the entire view was shaking. I almost had to quit LFS until someone pointed out the slider to fix it. It's the "1g Head Tilt" slider. Turn it to 0 and it's fixed. Then you'll have your left/right look again.
1 year as demo , first i wass driving in the chase view , but one day i change to cockpit and everting change , become more faster , more acurated

Lerts the other day i saw you racing , and not bad , but you can become more faster , just asume the reality in the real world

Try one week driving in cockpit ciew and you well see have your times has improved a loot
Quote from JasonJ :Oh,....... so having it as a server setting isn't enough? Well if you want to force EVERYONE to use the same view, then you should force everyone to use G25. I'm sure servers will be full no doubt.

There is a major contrasting difference in your statement. With FCV no one has to spend any extra money, however someone is not forced to spend 300 USD on the G25 for a decent wheel, nor do you have to buy a wheel.

Your statement is a fallacy, those two situations are incomparable. However you could say "might as well force everyone to use locked differentials.
Quote from HVS5b :Oh, sorry, was that me voicing an opinion again. I forgot that wasn't allowed on the internet

Well, if you want to force a view on towards 50% of the population (as you put it), then wouldn't you expect someone say something in protest? If you don't want a discussion then don't make a comment.

Quote from HVS5b :And what, pray, does FCV have to do with a G25?

If you want to force cockpit view to be more hardcore/real, sure thats fine, but if you want to force it on everyone everywhere to make it equal and as realistic as possible, then shouldn't all controller methods be the same? Maybe that should be forced as well, how about a server OPTION though, not forcing it to everyone and those that don't like it just to suit yourself. This was my point here. Forcing it to everyone when it CAN be a server option is kinda not nice to those that don't want it.

Quote from HVS5b :My mistake, I didn't take into account the difficulties this would produce whilst hammering it round the cruise servers

Ummm....? my sample of online servers FCV vc Non FCV excluded cruise servers. Btw if I decide to have a race, I drive in Chase view to. I just happen enjoy that view more. So your cheap shot at cruising is irrelevant.

Quote from HVS5b :Ever tried a DMR server? Had any problems? Do they have a problem with quality of racers or numbers? Do you know what I'm talking about?

So why even make the previous comment below if you already have a server that has assumably FCV enabled ?
Quote from HVS5b :When all the interiors are complete I hope FCV becomes integral to the game

... By "integeral" I'm guessing you mean to say "essential part of the whole; necessary to the completeness" as in, not complete unless everyone has it. You want to force the other 50% or so others to drive with your view ? Why, when they aren't even on your server ? If it's a server option to use FCV then IMO it's already integeral. If people choose not to use it, then thats their problem. We can have "hard core mode" and "pick up and play at lunchtime at work mode" right?

No, I don't play on DMR servers, my location means I got bad lag to pretty much any server. If I join a race and go hard and try and stay in the pack, I'm pretty much guarenteed to send all drivers at T1 to the moon. So after you've finished judging me for using LFS in a way that I enjoy that doesn't cause mayhem to those that want a clean race, have a well earned cookie.

Yeh I've gone off topic, but this person has a happy server with what he wants and he wants eveyone else to do the same thing. Sorry but diversity is human nature.
Quote from JasonJ :Well, if you want to force a view on towards 50% of the population (as you put it), then wouldn't you expect someone say something in protest? If you don't want a discussion then don't make a comment.

Not so much a comment as a sarcasm laden whinge.

Quote from JasonJ :If you want to force cockpit view to be more hardcore/real, sure thats fine, but if you want to force it on everyone everywhere to make it equal and as realistic as possible, then shouldn't all controller methods be the same? Maybe that should be forced as well, how about a server OPTION though, not forcing it to everyone and those that don't like it just to suit yourself. This was my point here. Forcing it to everyone when it CAN be a server option is kinda not nice to those that don't want it.

Controllers and FCV are two completely different issues. Please don't confuse them. FCV is already a server option as you already know.

Quote from JasonJ :Ummm....? my sample of online servers FCV vc Non FCV excluded cruise servers. Btw if I decide to have a race, I drive in Chase view to. I just happen enjoy that view more. So your cheap shot at cruising is irrelevant.

Eh? I don't race in chase view. This is a simulator.

Quote from JasonJ :So why even make the previous comment below if you already have a server that has assumably FCV enabled ?... .

I don't have a server with that enabled at all. DMR do tho, that was my point. I just happen to think theirs is one of the best servers in S2.

Quote from JasonJ :No, I don't play on DMR servers, my location means I got bad lag to pretty much any server. If I join a race and go hard and try and stay in the pack, I'm pretty much guarenteed to send all drivers at T1 to the moon. So after you've finished judging me for using LFS in a way that I enjoy that doesn't cause mayhem to those that want a clean race, have a well earned cookie.

What does your location have to do with choice of view?

Quote from JasonJ :Yeh I've gone off topic, but this person has a happy server with what he wants and he wants eveyone else to do the same thing. Sorry but diversity is human nature.

Lol, don't we all race on servers we enjoy? Do they all have the same preferences, no. Have fun 'diversifying' your real car to one with a seat on the roof or a stealth cloaking device

Chill dude, I ain't for forcing anything on anyone, theres only 3 people who can do that. Nobody can force you to stop driving LFS if FCV does become integral Which, btw, I don't think it will.

ps - our server does not have FCV on because some of my friends don't like it . Does that sound like someone trying to force their views/opinions onto others?
Quote from HVS5b :.........

ps - our server does not have FCV on because some of my friends don't like it . Does that sound like someone trying to force their views/opinions onto others?

Exactly my point... Your mates wont want to play anymore. Then why wish it to be integral? Which I interpret as you wishing its forced completely and utterly. If I misinterpret what u mean by integral then I'm sorry.. ok ?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG