The online racing simulator
How much did you pay?
(45 posts, started )
How much did you pay?
How much did you pay to own a WR. We got guys like "elderado_27" who seems to have $4000.00 plus and has never owed a WR.

I'm just wondering how much money /or how much money people are willing to spend to obtain a WR.

I held WR on SO1R with the XRR and i have less than 1,000.00 invested.

Wait for it.

800MHZ duron
256 Video
128 ram

I Pity the fool who runs me paying 3,000.00 for any DELL or some other Chit computer. It's the driver not the system, don't believe me ask Rudi.
Who said people that have a 6000$ PC own automaticaly a WR?PC spec have nothing to do with WR except if your PC is 15 years old.
i had 60 wr's... all gone within 2 days... then i had 1 for over a month... i paid nothing...and my pc is 3 yo..with specs off 5yo
Cost of PC/Equipment has no bearing on ability to drive.
However, people that are more 'involved' with LFS tend to devote a large portion of their disposable income to their preferred hobby, namely the computer. Therefore it is only natural that you find people that are classed as aliens tend to have (statistically speaking) better set-ups.
Point I am making is that if somebody consecrates a lot of time to practice, then they will soon wear out 'normal' wheels, and will need a wheel with more durability, which just happens to cost a heck of a lot more pennies. (G25: €200, ECCI setup: €1800!!!!)
Furthermore, if they spend 6 hours a day or more at the screen, then they are going to want a very good image to look at...all this costs money..

Big question is, what comes first? Chicken or the Egg?...Alien or Ninja PC?
Quote from Bladerunner :Big question is, what comes first? Chicken or the Egg?...Alien or Ninja PC?

Well, the chicken was initially an egg, but the Alien wasn't a Ninja PC before it became an alien. I'm ****ed.
Quote from Riders Motion :Well, the chicken was initially an egg, but the Alien wasn't a Ninja PC before it became an alien. I'm ****ed.

it was until they added the alienatic stuff in it (GFX card, RAM, CPU, etc.).

It ws initially just a shell which could be compared to the egg and then it got stuffed till it became to life (the chicken).

On topic:

The pc has nothing to do with the performance unless you have less then 20 fps.
Quote from evilpimp :
The pc has nothing to do with the performance unless you have less then 20 fps.

Aww, crap! And I was gonna blame my lack of speed on my computer.
I think my current system (built 12/2007) cost me about 2000 euros. Then again, I haven't even touched LFS since :P

Never had a WR anyway.
This thread is stupid, but I don't see the usual AtomAnt posting style, at least this time I can see what he means...
#10 - Jakg
Sub-Par logic? Must be an AtomAnt thread(/post).
Quote from Speedy Pro :Aww, crap! And I was gonna blame my lack of speed on my computer.

Luckily I can

I haz a very crap PC - get about 25fps average

Getting posh laptop soon though - and my excuse disappears
#12 - Jakg
posh laptop will still = fail at gaming.

(Most laptops have Intel onboard solutions which frankly suck)
Quote from Jakg :posh laptop will still = fail at gaming.

It has an nVidea something or other graphics card.

I did do some research before purchasing
#14 - Jakg
Let me guess - 8400GS M. Even so, that's not very good...
Quote from AtomAnt :I held WR on SO1R with the XRR and i have less than 1,000.00 invested.

If someone had paid you instead I'd be impressed. However as it stands you are -1000 in your investment and have no WR to boast about either. Talk about bad entrepreneurial ventures.

Whilst my laptop isnt quite as quick as my PC, it plays most games - including LFS - perfectly fine. GeForce something or other and dedicated graphics ram. I'm not going to get an overclocker drooling - but to say laptops cant play games is usually the view held by those who didn't specify dedicated graphics ram (no fault with the end user really, it isn't often very clear on the specs)
Quote from Jakg :Let me guess - 8400GS M. Even so, that's not very good...

Nope, 8600 (This is me presuming the bigger number is better :tilt

2.2 Ghz Dual Core
3GB RAM
360GB Hard Drive
17" screen

~£650
I have no idea what it's on your money exchange, but I used aprox 11 800 NOK on it.
Quote from The Very End :I have no idea what it's on your money exchange, but I used aprox 11 800 NOK on it.

Google says:

650 British pounds = 6 601.4901 Norwegian kroner
I paid nothing and will pay nothing for a WR. Mainly because my luck would make it so that 10 minutes after I get a record it'll be crushed beyond my reach.
So then I used over 1300 then?
Quote from J@tko :Nope, 8600 (This is me presuming the bigger number is better :tilt

well if you had any hopes of playing criysis acceptably forget it but otherwise you should be fine for the most part... unless the screen has some ridiculous resolution
I don't have any WR's.

As for spending money on LFS? I already have a computer whether I race LFS or not, so I can't state I paid $xxx for LFS. I already had a wheel controller from past racing games, so I can't state I paid $xxx for LFS.

I did purchase a (cheap) graphics card to eliminate the onboard ATI chip usage. If simming, I am either racing LFS or flying FS9. So I guess since I don't need the gfx card for email or web surfing, I can say the gfx card cost is split between those 2 sims, at approximately a 60/40 split between them. So, I will say that I spent $42 in total for my LFS racing not including the cost of LFS.

The 40% of the cost of the gfx card for the flight simming is $28. But I did have to purchase a flight stick since I had not previously flown. The flight stick was $30, so total for flying would be $58 not including the purchase of FS9. More expensive than LFS.

You are way behind the times man, laptops have been churning out some good gaming systems for a long time now. Agreed a top end lappy will only be a low to mid end PC but they are capable and have been capable of gaming for years.

You need to stop being so prejudice and actually look at what is shipping with laptops these days.
Quote from Becky Rose :Whilst my laptop isnt quite as quick as my PC, it plays most games - including LFS - perfectly fine. GeForce something or other and dedicated graphics ram. I'm not going to get an overclocker drooling - but to say laptops cant play games is usually the view held by those who didn't specify dedicated graphics ram (no fault with the end user really, it isn't often very clear on the specs)

I've got (what was) a pretty nice Laptop, when it was new. An Acer Ferrari 4005 WLMi. When I got it, I was blown away by the speed of it, gaming included. The problem with a laptop is not the initial speed of it, it's the relatively short life (comparatively speaking) they have compared to a conventional PC. This is due to the fact that they have sub-par cooling, a direct result of the tighter confines of the 'packaging.' Even with a laptop cooling dock they still can't keep as cool as a traditional computer, this leads to damaged hardware.

My laptop is now nearly 3 years old, and it's slow as all hell. That's not just because my PC blows it out of the water, either, it's because the hardware is just simply 'burnt out,' for lack of a better term. It's starting to fail (already had the power supply and mother board replaced, harddrive is going I think; it's constantly corrupting Windows system files) because it was used as if it were a PC - constant, daily usage including gaming, for 2 and a half years. Laptops just simply aren't designed for that.

That being said, they work for gaming.. just not in the long term.

As for my input on LFS? Well.. there's the family computer in the basement, which is all I had when I got S1 (and S2, I think...). Then there's my laptop, which was $2300 at the time. Then there's my PC that I got about 20 months ago, $2k flat, plus speakers and my G25. The G25 is the only thing I wanted for LFS, and it was a birthday present. So, my LFS investment is 24 pounds. I guess that doesn't buy you any WRs...

How much did you pay?
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG