The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I was having a very fun race at Silverstone until I had to leave to watch a movie - I'll go again the next time I can, it's such a blast
Quote from Jertje :I was having a very fun race at Silverstone until I had to leave to watch a movie - I'll go again the next time I can, it's such a blast

I looked at your stats and that's not fair, you almost made it into 1:47 range already in your first race
Must be the "one click too much" rear wing that's making me slow....
Quote from Crommi :I looked at your stats and that's not fair, you almost made it into 1:47 range already in your first race
Must be the "one click too much" rear wing that's making me slow....

I'm using Alan Daly's set. Well, I butchered it a bit and randomly clicked some suspension setting to loosen it up a bit, it's worked out alright, but in the end when it comes to setups I'm just a monkey trying to understand the grand scheme of things. :>

Just came out of an amazing race though... actually only 8 drivers started and all of them quit by lap 5 or so, me and playlife remained and had some fun for a while I guess... but there's only so much fun you can have with 2 people on Silverstone ;p
Quote from Jertje :I'm using Alan Daly's set. Well, I butchered it a bit and randomly clicked some suspension setting to loosen it up a bit, it's worked out alright, but in the end when it comes to setups I'm just a monkey trying to understand the grand scheme of things. :>

Just came out of an amazing race though... actually only 8 drivers started and all of them quit by lap 5 or so, me and playlife remained and had some fun for a while I guess... but there's only so much fun you can have with 2 people on Silverstone ;p

yeah, where did everyone go!?!? You owned me ofcourse

Could I try your set btw?

Funny thing the radicals suspension is very tender. Someone nudged me from behind in Luffield an I spun. From that I had such suspension damage that I had to hold the wheel to right in order to go straight :/
well got the late model, racing in Lowes in about 5 mins.......I feel scared
Grid sizes on road races really depend on how they sync with LM races.

About the suspension, I've found it pretty durable and there's plenty of trading paint when going side by side into those tight corners. That bit extra rear wing also glues the rearend into road, making car very stable even when getting bumped and banged from behind. It's getting rather late so I'll continue tomorrow, watching Nascar Sprint Cup race atm.
Quote from evilpimp :I just got firefox 3 so there's no addons. I dissabled the security things and all but still nothing. It says there's 2 updates. 1 that's 0 Mb and one that's 22 mb. :S I'm scared that the one that says 0 is actually supposed to have more then that.

0 Patcher Software and Data v2008.07.23.02 downloaded
22 System Software and Data v2008.07.23.02 downloaded

That's what it says when I click on the update required button. Is there a way to manually install updates which were downloaded?

I have the same problem.

There are alot with the same problem. Read the member forum at iRacing ..

http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... hreadID=9537&tstart=0

Edit: I saw that you has discovered the forum, but since then a solution came up, maybe you had read it by now..sry..
For the last few days I've been trying to drive the skippie and so far I thoroughly hate the car. Imho it has all the disgusting features of a "momentum car" with very little positives. It lacks power, it's surprizingly dull to drive and is annoyingly snappy at high speeds while being understeering on low speeds. It's seemigly easy to drive but when I get closer to the "limit" it gets very unforgiving in the way momentum cars do. I haven't seen a single negative post about this car on any forum so it was quite a surprise for me to see how disappointing the car was. Like in GPL the main positive about those cars was the immensive power reserves those cars had with the little grip and tricky handling. The skippie is like a GPL car with a bad sound and all the good stuff removed. Maybe the car just highlights my poor driving ability or I'm just incompatible with any kind of single seaters but seriously I don't want to drive this car any more. My best lap at Infineon cup track is shamefully slow, a 1.27.05 or something like that I just did on practise. And people are doing 1:25s consistently in races. And everybody seem to like this car!? Maybe I just need someone to sit next to me with all good intentions and a baseball bat while I take a lap around the painful infineon...

I also bought the late model but the setup options don't really seem to allow it to be used on road courses, the car just isn't able to take right turns. The radical is fun although it somehow seem to highlight the physics quirks of the iracing engine all the time. It feels like it bottoms out and jumps into air at times at the same time. The kerbs cause it to insta-spin most of the time, like there was no suspension at all. As for other content, the VIR and infineon are great tracks but somehow I feel that iracing needs some quick road legal track day machine that isn't anything like the skippie to get me buy any new cars, or even think about it.

As for the physics, it feels like the solstice was in some way a one-off goodie while the other cars are much worse. The iracing physics engine doesn't really shine with the faster cars imho. When one of the tires loses contact with the track surface the physics engine sometimes goes into random-mode. Sometimes the ISI trademark of turning into the slide seem to work surprizingly well, at least with the skippie. The collisions are strange at worst, average at best. The more I drive in iracing the more I get the feeling that LFS has better coded physics engine but iracing has better data.

With all the purchases I've made recently I feel quite disappointed. Hopefully there is something good coming in some form but the new cars left me totally uninterested. That being said I think I try the adv. solskie on VIR next. I just wish there was an iracingTweak to up the power on the solskie a bit
Thanks Richard. I got it to work with the .txt fix that Chris on the iRacing forum proposed and it works.

I gotta say it feels awesome ! Great stuff.

Right now test driving the Rookie Solstice @ Laguna Seca. What laptimes should I aim for before going online?
Quite large part of road racers are coming from GPL, so that might explain the positive feedback Skippy has got. I'm not too big fan of it either, I prefer modern single-seaters with decent grip and downforce. And don't get me started about the open diff

I still drive it, I enjoy every bit of racing. It's just the car that I don't fancy..
Oh well, waiting for Radical Serie.
-
(RMachucaA) DELETED by RMachucaA
Quote from evilpimp :Thanks Richard. I got it to work with the .txt fix that Chris on the iRacing forum proposed and it works.

I gotta say it feels awesome ! Great stuff.

Right now test driving the Rookie Solstice @ Laguna Seca. What laptimes should I aim for before going online?

My pb is 1.49.1 I think but aim for the 1.52's for a good start
Heh yeah my pb right now is a 52.4 after like 5-6 laps.

Joined my first race and Trebor was there

I thought it was Laguna Seca and was practicing there and it was actually in Summit Point and reallly didnt know. Went horrible. But i waas still on track. Then was on the outside of someone on a corner and he spun and hit me and race over :P.
Just did my 1st race on the summit point, had no idea before I joined that that was going to be the track, never done a lap there and had already chosen the Legends. Suffice to say I lasted about 3 laps with a 1.2xx ??

Btw, what is your iracing name?
Moulay Larbi El Alaoui :P My dad's name heh. Changing soon to my name hopefully I messaged them.
Ahhh, was just in the server with you

I was the one btw that crashed t1, t2 & t3, then set fastest lap, then crashed again, then give up
What color's your car? Is there a way to display names on top of the car?

I'm joining the 9 PM race if you wanna join me
Can't make it sorry, bed time, up for work in 4 hours. I am in the SR colours btw, but that race was in standard.
kk Mine are kinda the SR colors :P

Blue, Dark green and gold .
its kinda an odd thing...I get locked in for a year and seem to lose a lot of my motivation to play

I think its because I like to mess around with the radical now instead of the legend car, and would prefer to race the solstice if it was anywhere near competative to the legend car

Also, when I didn't really have a choice...I just sat down and practiced with the solstice, now I just mess around lol.

I'm looking forward to week 14 and getting back into racing :]
Would anyone here write a review about iRacing?
Hi Jason! good races yesterday (Félix from liveforspeed.es )
Quote from PLAYLIFE :yeah, where did everyone go!?!? You owned me ofcourse

Could I try your set btw?

Funny thing the radicals suspension is very tender. Someone nudged me from behind in Luffield an I spun. From that I had such suspension damage that I had to hold the wheel to right in order to go straight :/

It was me who nudged you there, when I was just poking you a bit that lap I noticed that I had a lot less understeer, and my acceleration point was a bit sooner than you there, my lack of attention did the rest. Pretty funny though; I've been t-boned at near full-speed with no effect on the controls, but that tiny nudge busted your suspension good then?

Set is attached, it's a bit twitchy every once in a while, especially coming out of Abbey and when braking hard, but it's all very manageable and the tire-wear seems alright for a 25 lap race. - I'm not actually sure if it's my butchered version or Alan's original, but it's a good basis either way and much better than the default set.
Attached files
ACD-Rad-Silver.rar - 1.1 KB - 178 views
no idea why but I just wish they ran this event thing this week as well as regular racing.

I haven't really touched iRacing this week and can't wait for the next week of racing back to normal.

For the Solstice/Legend, unless you race the legend you will be slower - period - and that's a pity
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG