The online racing simulator
My Theory On Flight
(83 posts, started )
Quote from Migz :The whole theory is based on the fact that flying is defying ALL laws of gravity. If anyone was ever to "learn" to fly then this may not be the actual cause. But for my theory to work then flight must be defying all laws of gravity.

Which it isn't, rendering this pointless.

I absolutely love abstract physics, but dreaming up theories in a virtual set of physical laws is not really going to get you anywhere - unless you have a link between your virtual world and the real world.

Should any human ever "fly" or levitate, it would be the result of a higher F_lift than F_grav (m*g) - basically what airplanes use and racecars use "backwards".
My theory on flight is a simple one. Give airline money, climb on plane, magic happens, get off plane in another location.

Quote from Stang70Fastback :You can't possibly be that good a driver if you're that clueless, can you?

Racing drivers are dumb animals. The better you are the dumber you are as it means you're more likely to drive right on the edge of death.
If gravity was to disapear then you will just float of in the direction the earth last spinned.

Ok, think of it as having a peice of string with a weight on it. spin the string in a circle around your hand. now think of the string as gravity. let go of the string (no gravity) and the weight will fly of in tangent to the circular motion that you where spinning it at. this is what will happen to you if gravity was to disapear imo.

sorry for my bad spelling and if i took it too serious or got it wrong but this is what i think would happen
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :......
Racing drivers are dumb animals. The better you are the dumber you are as it means you're more likely to drive right on the edge of death.

Excuse me wiseguy?
Quote from rcpilot :If you suddenly lost gravity you'd go flying off in whatever vector you were currently rotating along the earth at. Like swinging something attached to a string over your head and the string suddenly snaps. This vector being the perpendicular line relative to you and the rotational axis of the earth pointing in the direction of the earth's rotation. AKA you still maintain whatever momentum you had, but now you don't have the aid of earth's gravity pulling you back towards the ground. Basic circular motion and one of the rudimentary things you learn in physics, why you're not getting very productive answers. :P

Quote from xXdigsXx :If gravity was to disapear then you will just float of in the direction the earth last spinned.

Ok, think of it as having a peice of string with a weight on it. spin the string in a circle around your hand. now think of the string as gravity. let go of the string (no gravity) and the weight will fly of in tangent to the circular motion that you where spinning it at. this is what will happen to you if gravity was to disapear imo.

sorry for my bad spelling and if i took it too serious or got it wrong but this is what i think would happen

Quote from evans :

Quote from xXdigsXx :If gravity was to disapear then you will just float of in the direction the earth last spinned.

Quote from rcpilot :If you suddenly lost gravity you'd go flying off in whatever vector you were currently rotating along the earth at. Like swinging something attached to a string over your head and the string suddenly snaps. This vector being the perpendicular line relative to you and the rotational axis of the earth pointing in the direction of the earth's rotation. AKA you still maintain whatever momentum you had, but now you don't have the aid of earth's gravity pulling you back towards the ground. Basic circular motion and one of the rudimentary things you learn in physics, why you're not getting very productive answers. :P

Quote from Dennis93 :Excuse me wiseguy?

lol didnt read that post my bad.
Ask Scawen to turn of the gravity in LFS in the next patch and then we'll all know the answer to your question.
a plane is still affected by gravity untill it has breached the atmosphear and its not untill u get out of that do u truely notic how fast the earth is traveling. US inside this atmosphear only notic earths Rotation on its own axis NOT the Axis around the sun

PS just my theory never did much of this in school
#60 - wark
Quote from MAD3.0LT :US inside this atmosphear only notic earths Rotation on its own axis NOT the Axis around the sun

Where I'm from we have seasons...
On a more scientific note:

As is common public knowledge LSD contains all the necessary ingredients for you to fly. The speed at which you fly under such circumstances is not limited by any means and, what is best, the immortality gained by its consumption and the elevation to status of supreme being means that the planet you have created cannot possibly kill you with puny billiard-ball attacks.
Quote from xaotik :On a more scientific note:

As is common public knowledge LSD contains all the necessary ingredients for you to fly. The speed at which you fly under such circumstances is not limited by any means and, what is best, the immortality gained by its consumption and the elevation to status of supreme being means that the planet you have created cannot possibly kill you with puny billiard-ball attacks.

Until the planet swallows you whole and you think you're suffocating to death .
Quote from MAD3.0LT :a plane is still affected by gravity untill it has breached the atmosphear and its not untill u get out of that do u truely notic how fast the earth is traveling. US inside this atmosphear only notic earths Rotation on its own axis NOT the Axis around the sun

So, you're saying, you get into the exosphere (say, in a rocket), you start noticing how the earth moves so fast? I don't think so
Quote from MAD3.0LT :a plane is still affected by gravity untill it has breached the atmosphear and its not untill u get out of that do u truely notic how fast the earth is traveling. US inside this atmosphear only notic earths Rotation on its own axis NOT the Axis around the sun

Why does gravity stop at the 'edge' of the atmosphere?

Quote from tristancliffe :If you suddently stopped gravity, what force slows you to zero (relative to the earth) that makes the planet hit you at 30,000km/sec or whatever the figure is...?

Please name this force, and where it comes from. Thanks.

I'm still waiting for an answer from the OP.
Or how about a smaller scale version?

Jump.
You land more or less in the same place you took off from (or at least those of us not stoned out of our heads do).

Does that mean I need to start reporting a new name now? Bah, and there's another license involved so there's even less chance of a ban.
Lol, what a thread.

I remeber when i was a kid and got stoned, we had some theories on our own too. My advice is get wasted some more, disscuss it some more, and then finnaly youll realise theres no point in living and if you get wasted some more after, i think there will be another news about ppl flying off the window.
#67 - Migz
Quote from tristancliffe :

I'm still waiting for an answer from the OP.

I have no clue what OP is but I'm guessing thats me?
Well theres no force that suddenly makes you stop relative to the earth. But the force that holds you in movement with the earth. Basically if that was to go then i thought that you would see the earth moving because your not moving relative to it. Seems im wrong though.
At least i learned about inertia and that gravity isn't the only thing holding us to the earth. And i learn t that nothing is ever still XD.

Quote from Dajmin :
Does that mean I need to start reporting a new name now? Bah, and there's another license involved so there's even less chance of a ban.

........ A banning for a theory that was incorrect? Wtf?!
So because i got my theory completely and utterly wrong, due to the fact ive not actually finished physics, i should be banned?

Quote from lerts :i think you are confusing gravity cancellation with inertia cancellation, if you cancelled inertia you would be right

i think if someone flew it would be with antigravity, with that you could go one million mph and reversed sense in a second felling always 0 g(what you feel at free fall)

I just realised lerts just made more sense then i have :eek:
Furthermore you could have a look at the moon, where gravity is about one-sixth of earth's. If you jump on the moon (which also rotates around it's own axis like earth, mind you), do you get "thrown" to one side?

It's completely preposterous to assume that the phenomenon of which OP is talking will only be present in a no-gravity-whatsoever environment. Should there be such an effect, then it would also be visible in low-gravity environments (such as the moon).

And even worse still, gravity could never stop you from going left, right, forwards or backwards, since gravity works perpendicular to these axes. So for your theory to work, you would actually still slam into buildings in a normal-gravity environment.

Q.E.D.
Quote from Migz :I have no clue what OP is but I'm guessing thats me?
Well theres no force that suddenly makes you stop relative to the earth. But the force that holds you in movement with the earth. Basically if that was to go then i thought that you would see the earth moving because your not moving relative to it. Seems im wrong though.
At least i learned about inertia and that gravity isn't the only thing holding us to the earth. And i learn t that nothing is ever still XD.

Hurrah. A racing sim forum taught you 10 year olds' physics.

I'd be shocked if most 10 year olds hadn't heard of Newton's three laws, and weren't able to paraphrase at least one of them. And that is the basis of your misunderstanding. In fact, perhaps most 8 year olds would be able to tell you you weren't wrong...
#70 - Migz
Quote from tristancliffe :Hurrah. A racing sim forum taught you 10 year olds' physics.

O really.....
See if i was to ask a 10 year old about that he'd have no clue what im on about.

And their was a 50% chance that most 10 year olds nowerdays are "sholid" chavs who go out and drink and get into fights...............

Therefore i highly doubt a 10 year old would get that.

Ty very much |:|

Does everyone on this forum have to be out of order to people younger then them? iirc its called bullying. And for what reason? Because i came up with a bullshit theory?
Quote from Migz :........ A banning for a theory that was incorrect? Wtf?!
So because i got my theory completely and utterly wrong, due to the fact ive not actually finished physics, i should be banned?

he can be a tit like that from time to time

although i suppose with you being british and unable to understand the most basic of mechanics as described by one of britains idols (who must be quintessentially english... gravity would have been obvious to anyone else even without the apple) a stoning would be the appropriate treatment
#72 - Migz
Quote from Shotglass :he can be a tit like that from time to time

although i suppose with you being British and unable to understand the most basic of mechanics as described by one of britains idols (who must be quintessentially english... gravity would have been obvious to anyone else even without the apple) a stoning would be the appropriate treatment

I'm not exactly British. Im just born in the uk. Not on england though. So i don't quite think I'm a Brit.
And I'm half Portuguese anyways lol.

Hmmm, well im guessing i was thinking inside the box with my theory. Only thinking about gravity and the earth moving. if i had thought outside the box then perhaps i wouldnt be being stoned to death XD
I had a rudimentary understanding of Bernoulli's Principle by the time I was 12, and I knew that an airplane would continue flying even if its engines weren't making any power (i.e. gliding due to INERTIA!!!), so don't give us that crap about youth causing your ignorance.
#74 - Migz
Quote from Forbin :I had a rudimentary understanding of Bernoulli's Principle by the time I was 12, and I knew that an airplane would continue flying even if its engines weren't making any power (i.e. gliding due to INERTIA!!!), so don't give us that crap about youth causing your ignorance.

Did you even have chavs back in your day?
They cause disturbances and so the teachers don't teach everything they need to.
things are different nowadays.

Even if it was only 7 years or so that you left school.
They have NOT taught us anything whatsoever about inertia or some beardy principle....
Therefore i can I've the crap about my youth causing my ignorance.
OK, I feel really bad about everyone bashing you when it's apparent that either no-one ever taught you this stuff, or you made the silly mistake of not attending school, so here's a quick summary:

Gravity - All objects in the universe have mass (e.g. they are made up of STUFF) and the more mass they have, the more of a pull they exert on objects around them. Think of gravity as magnetism (it ISN'T, but just to explain) the bigger the magnet, the stronger of a pull it has on other smaller magnets.
The earth exerts a huge gravitational pull on all objects at it's surface (and beyond - such as the moon) and pulls them all toward it's center. This is what holds us to the earth's surface, along with all the water and the atmosphere.

Inertia - "An object in motion tends to stay in motion." The famous phrase that you MUST have heard somewhere, even if you don't understand what it means. Simply put, a car traveling at 50 MPH is hard to stop because it has INERTIA. Without inertia, MAYBE what you described would happen. Inertia is what makes your car keep moving after you let off the gas pedal.
Now, inertia means that whatever direction something is traveling in, it tends to want to KEEP moving that way (why a car will eventually lose grip if you take a turn too fast - it wants to keep going straight, and inertia eventually overcomes the frictional grip of the tire if you turn too fast.) As the Earth spins, the objects at it's surface are constantly changing direction. Instead of friction keeping us on the earth's surface, however, GRAVITY does. If the earth were to slowly spin faster, we'd all feel lighter and lighter until we eventually were flung into space. That's because in order to be held to earth's surface, we'd have to change direction FASTER if it was spinning faster, and just like a car taking a turn, there's a point at which inertia would overcome gravity.

Your theory stated that as soon as gravity was "turned off" we'd all stop DEAD in space, and the earth would slam into us. However, since we ALL have inertia (including the Earth) we'd all continue through space at the same speed we were going when gravity was turned off. The only thing that would happen would be that inertia would also mean we'd all lift off from the Earth's surface.

Just remember, it's not LACK of gravity that would make us float into the air. It's the effects of inertia that would allow us to do so. Gravity just overcomes inertia near the earth's surface.

Hope that helps! (Maybe... that probably just got you more confused.)

My Theory On Flight
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG