The online racing simulator
My Theory On Flight
(83 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
You do see the planets moving
If you would remove all gravity, I think you would fly off the earth, but you wouldn't suddenly stop. You'd just keep flying in the direction earth moved when you started flying forever.

Now, I don't even have a physics class in school yet, so my theory probably falls trough.
Quote from Migz :So you stay absolutely still completely TOTALLYY not moving at all in relative to anything or anyone or yourself.

Yet again, there is no such thing as being absolutely still. You can be still relative to the earth, or relative to the sun, or even relative to the universe as a whole but there is never a state when you're "absolutely still". By looking at one object alone you can not say wether it is moving or not, you can only tell it is moving at speed X relative to another object.
#29 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :You do see the planets moving

Hmm, but i thought the planets were moving extremely fast? Not extremely slow?

Quote from Kegetys :Yet again, there is no such thing as being absolutely still. You can be still relative to the earth, or relative to the sun, or even relative to the universe as a whole but there is never a state when you're "absolutely still". By looking at one object alone you can not say wether it is moving or not, you can only say it is moving at speed X relative to another object.

Well fine, but your absolutely still relative to the planets moving?
Happy Mr Smokemod?
#30 - Jakg
which planets? How can you be still referenced to a moving object?

And the planets are moving fast, but on a scale big enough to see one they don't move that fast.
Quote from Migz :Well fine, but your absolutely still relative to the planets moving?

The planets (which ones?) are moving at different velocities, you cannot be still relative to all of them at the same time.
#32 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :which planets? How can you be still referenced to a moving object?

And the planets are moving fast, but on a scale big enough to see one they don't move that fast.

Ohhh, so my theory is incorrect, but what i said would happen is sort of right? If we started flying the earth would move, but not very fast? So we wouldn't get hit by any objects or such things like that?

Quote from Kegetys :The planets (which ones?) are moving at different velocities, you cannot be still relative to all of them at the same time.

I give up with the whole being still thing XD
Quote from Migz :Hmm, but i thought the planets were moving extremely fast? Not extremely slow?

Thats pretty the same with a car moving close to you seems fast, but a car further away seems slow.
Quote from Jakg :BTW - A while back a plane was on the drawing boards that would actually fly high enough into space so that the Planet rotated underneath it, meaning that (in one direction only) it could travel a long way in very little time thanks to the rotation of the Eath).

i considered stoning you for this but the threads premise is too stupid for me to look at it longer than a few seconds without risking a sudden explosion of my brain
#35 - Migz
Quote from fraghetti :Thats pretty the same with a car moving close to you seems fast, but a car further away seems slow.

Fair enough.

Hmm i just worked out that if you were to fly at the equator then the world would rotate past at 0.27 reacurring miles per second.
So hmm thatd be pretty noticable as thats 16.6 reacurring miles per minute
#36 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :i considered stoning you for this but the threads premise is too stupid for me to look at it longer than a few seconds without risking a sudden explosion of my brain

I didn't make the plane and obviously if you can see the flaw in it's design then thats the reason why it only got as far as the drawing board!
#37 - Migz
it could travel 1000 miles per hour if it was at the equator ^^
#38 - JJ72
stop doing drug kids, I beg you.
Quote from Jakg :I didn't make the plane and obviously if you can see the flaw in it's design then thats the reason why it only got as far as the drawing board!

the flaw is that the idea works in principle but completely forgets that you have to overcome the earths rotational speed to get into orbit that way which means that with the earth rotating at ~1000kmh youd have to burn enough fuel to accelerate an additional 2000kmh to reach the same orbit/ballistic altitude
which is why all rockets and shuttles start eastwards
for a more handson idea of whats happen download orbiter
An interesting by-product of people learning is them asking questions and thinking about the world or their surroundings using the new information they've got. This is great, we all do it. However, as the saying goes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If you go to a lecture and you get told one piece of the puzzle that doesn't mean you have an understanding of the whole picture. So, you go away from that lecture with a small amount of knowledge on one part of the picture. From this small amount of knowledge you can't extrapolate wild and grand theories about flying and the earth hitting you when you jump in the air. The best thing you can do when you get a little bit of knowledge is to ask more questions, not to try and compose your own 'ground breaking' theories.
If you suddently stopped gravity, what force slows you to zero (relative to the earth) that makes the planet hit you at 30,000km/sec or whatever the figure is...?

Please name this force, and where it comes from. Thanks.
i think you are confusing gravity cancellation with inertia cancellation, if you cancelled inertia you would be right

i think if someone flew it would be with antigravity, with that you could go one million mph and reversed sense in a second felling always 0 g(what you feel at free fall)
If you suddenly lost gravity you'd go flying off in whatever vector you were currently rotating along the earth at. Like swinging something attached to a string over your head and the string suddenly snaps. This vector being the perpendicular line relative to you and the rotational axis of the earth pointing in the direction of the earth's rotation. AKA you still maintain whatever momentum you had, but now you don't have the aid of earth's gravity pulling you back towards the ground. Basic circular motion and one of the rudimentary things you learn in physics, why you're not getting very productive answers. :P
Quote from rcpilot :If you suddenly lost gravity you'd go flying off in whatever vector you were currently rotating along the earth at. Like swinging something attached to a string over your head and the string suddenly snaps. This vector being the perpendicular line relative to you and the rotational axis of the earth pointing in the direction of the earth's rotation. AKA you still maintain whatever momentum you had, but now you don't have the aid of earth's gravity pulling you back towards the ground. Basic circular motion and one of the rudimentary things you learn in physics, why you're not getting very productive answers. :P

Exactly. If gravity were to suddenly cease to exist. All that would happen would be that we'd be flung into space.

Let's give a car-related example. Take a car tire, roll it in a bunch of mud, and then spin it really fast. All the mud would fly off. The earth is the tire and WE are the mud. We don't fly off because of gravity. Get rid of gravity, and we all go flying into space. The earth will not hit you. If you drive through a mud puddle at 100 MPH, mud is still flung off the tire onto every part of the wheel well.

How can people with such little understanding of physics possibly get any enjoyment out of a racing SIMULATOR? You can't possibly be that good a driver if you're that clueless, can you?
#45 - Migz
Quote from lerts :i think you are confusing gravity cancellation with inertia cancellation, if you cancelled inertia you would be right

i think if someone flew it would be with antigravity, with that you could go one million mph and reversed sense in a second felling always 0 g(what you feel at free fall)

AHAH!! well then if i sneakily change my theory to be about flying without inertia then im right

Quote from Stang70Fastback :You can't possibly be that good a driver if you're that clueless, can you?

Quite simply, no
Quote from tristancliffe :If you suddently stopped gravity, what force slows you to zero (relative to the earth) that makes the planet hit you at 30,000km/sec or whatever the figure is...?

Please name this force, and where it comes from. Thanks.

C'mon surely you heard of Toon-force (not the Newcastle back line, thats a non-existent being). It's the same reason why the figure runs off the edge of the cliff, hangs there for a couple of seconds before plummeting down to earth......

....then only to survive and sue 'ACME' for dodgy products
If you wanna do ''Superman Thing'' ,you have to choose right pill then ''Welcome to the MATRIX.'' You can not change the rules .
Stunning thread, everyone. Great work.
Migz and lerts need to chat on MSN. I'd LOVE to see a thread created based on the combination of their ideas.

My Theory On Flight
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG