The online racing simulator
New skyline 0-60 in 3.3 seconds
(79 posts, started )
#51 - JJ72
it does go massively quick though, like someone applied a grip hack, scary.
It just looked to me as if something that 'fat' and high should never stick around bends like it did, almost as if it was defying physics. Great time!
Amazingly fast i dont get all this Blah COMPUTERS Blah

1.19 i bet 99.9% of people couldnt get with 3 - 4 seconds of that time
But in a normal car people would get within 9 or 10 seconds. It rewards mediocracy with a decent outcome, and nobody who actually enjoys driving would want such an artificial experience, would they?

Or are people only concerned with laptime these days, rather than the pleasure one derrives from the actual driving experience?
Quote from tristancliffe :
Or are people only concerned with laptime these days, rather than the pleasure one derrives from the actual driving experience?

Have you driven one?
Can you tell me that its not fun/involving to drive?
Or are you just going of the fact that its japanese assuming it must be a crap drivers car?

I hope nissan and every other manufacturer in the world continues to develope cars and technology in the future to make cars faster, safer, more reliable etc. Its called technology Tristan try to embrace it not run away from it like a village local shouting "burn the witch"
The country of origin has nothing to do with it.

Adding electronics to cover up poor driving standards isn't the way to a safer future in my opinion, but I can see that some safety nets are a good thing in family cars. But I hope that "drivers' cars" don't cede to making a computer control the ultimate ability of the car. Drivers' cars should be about the driver having fun, being involved in the driving, and getting something out of it...

But I'm a purist that takes a great deal of pleasure in my ability behind the wheel of a car, and looks to improve himself in every regard of driving every time I'm in the car. I don't want a Playstation on wheels - it strikes me as being zero fun, regardless of the speeds/laptimes acheived.
I agree with what you are saying but this car has been designed to be what it is. A fast grand tourer and it is. purest should look elsewhere but this is still an awesome car £55k (ish) for all that performance in a everyday usable car. Amazing

Oh and i think country of origin does have something to do with it if this car had an Audi,bmw,ferrari,aston,bentley badge on it im sure it would get alot more respect (and cost at least twice as much)
Looks like a Hyundai coupe.. fail... I bet its a nice drive though..
I hope someday someone will give Ayrtoncliffe a job on fith gear or something it would be sooo funny
#60 - LewX
Well its got a lower drag coefficient than a 911.

It does Nurburgring faster than the 911 and veyron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_lap_times

But...it doesn't have the good old RB26DETT. Its got V6 rather than the inline 6! I say not a skyline, but then if its not a skyline...what is it???

I personally prefer the r32 and r34. There was a big article in MOTOR Magazine on the comparison of the r32-r33-r34-r35. Each performed better than the last, but according to the journalists, the r35 sh*t all over the others. Maybe they were biased?
#61 - JJ72
it's not a skyline, they officially ditched the name, it's just GTR.
#62 - JCTK
Quote from LewX :Well its got a lower drag coefficient than a 911.

It does Nurburgring faster than the 911 and veyron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_lap_times

But...it doesn't have the good old RB26DETT. Its got V6 rather than the inline 6! I say not a skyline, but then if its not a skyline...what is it???

I personally prefer the r32 and r34. There was a big article in MOTOR Magazine on the comparison of the r32-r33-r34-r35. Each performed better than the last, but according to the journalists, the r35 sh*t all over the others. Maybe they were biased?

why should they stick with an engine that has got its basic structures designed back in the late 80s, which was some 20 years ago~?

and yeah it isn't a Skyline anymore anyway~ lol
has anyone heard what your suppposed to do if you want to check your tyres? apparently they are filed with nitrogen so where the hell do you go if you've a soft tyre?

also there were stories a while back that if the car detects any non standard mechanical parts (wheels, exhaust ect) it shuts down or reduces its performance to stop people modifying it and if the gprs system detects that its been on a track, nissan pull the warrenty.

don't know if they are true but it's a bit worrying if they are, especially the last bit as they seem to be saying buy this car with fantastic abilities but only drive it on the road !
No, they are saying if you thrash it on the track you do so at your own risk of reliability problems. Perfectly fine - why should a warranty cover a car for time spent on a track in the hands of the morons that buy them?
I must be a moron, money no object I think I'd add one to the collection. It doesn't have to be a Caterham to be rewarding, and it doesn't even have to be "rewarding" in the accepted sense to be brilliant. I'd have one just because it's so capable, so advanced. I really don't get why you get a bee in your bonnet about the existence of cars like this, and the Veyron. They aren't trying to be the pure driving experience, there are plenty of cars which do that job. Maybe just any excuse to look down on people that think differently to you, always nice to throw a name calling in there too.
Quote from tristancliffe :The country of origin has nothing to do with it.

Adding electronics to cover up poor driving standards isn't the way to a safer future in my opinion, but I can see that some safety nets are a good thing in family cars. But I hope that "drivers' cars" don't cede to making a computer control the ultimate ability of the car. Drivers' cars should be about the driver having fun, being involved in the driving, and getting something out of it...

But I'm a purist that takes a great deal of pleasure in my ability behind the wheel of a car, and looks to improve himself in every regard of driving every time I'm in the car. I don't want a Playstation on wheels - it strikes me as being zero fun, regardless of the speeds/laptimes acheived.

I thought the same till I saw Jackson point out the opposite, that it's engaging and does feel mechanic, to the point of being thrilling from what he looked and sounded like.

Quote from JCTK :why should they stick with an engine that has got its basic structures designed back in the late 80s, which was some 20 years ago~?

It's like putting a flat 6 turbo in a Lambo. It had become part of the car's character. Sure sounded nice anyway, better than the more common V6 layout.

Tinvek I've heard that the stock tranny only copes with 600HP or so.
#67 - JJ72
And it's clarkson, who exagarrates almost everything.

Jason Plato did give a little more insight in exactly how it drives, I wish Tiff or Martin Brundle can someday test it too, much better reviewers.
Quote from JJ72 :And it's clarkson, who exagarrates almost everything.

Jason Plato did give a little more insight in exactly how it drives, I wish Tiff or Martin Brundle can someday test it too, much better reviewers.

I'd never trust Clarkson, tbh. But to be fair, every single review I've read about this car has been hugely positive. So, going by empiricism I'd say it can't be all bad.

I'm really waiting for the "sport auto" review and when they put it around the Nordschleife in their supertest. If that is positive as well, I'll have no further doubts about it's capabilities. I bet they won't like it all that much, though. They just have their heads too far up the german car industry's behinds.
Quote from JJ72 :And it's clarkson, who exagarrates almost everything.

Thats an understatement. At the end of the day Topgear is looking for viewers and they are going to say anything they want about any car =)

THis good/bad thing is all relative anyways =) That GTR will crush your Dad's rusted out hatchback any day =)
#70 - JJ72
It doesn't matter, my dad use to have a 993 turbo, which in its day was just exactly what is GTR is today (fastest from A to B, corners like its grabbing an armpost all that). But even I find it hard to love, and all the subsequent 996 997....they are all hailed like gods in the car reviews, but my heart always fall for the basic 993 carrera two. I still hope to own one in some part of my life.

So I have gotten over the performance worship thingy. In terms of pure handling and cornering grip, the yamaha kart I raced when I was 11 owns the GTR too.....but I've come to realize that road cars are not race machines and what's most important, is how it fits to your philosophy in driving, and maybe "lifestyle". (I don't see cars as a lifestyle statement or consumer goods so it doesn't really apply. )
Quote from Jakg :That car looked very VERY "floaty" on track, like it was constantly doing a 4-wheel drift... Odd I thought...

well thats the entire point of putting tons of electronic in it... keep in the state it corners the quickest most of the time
the tc frequency on top of the tyre squeal does sound ridiculous though
Quote from Shotglass :well thats the entire point of putting tons of electronic in it... keep in the state it corners the quickest most of the time
the tc frequency on top of the tyre squeal does sound ridiculous though

Yep, that's basically the optimum way to get a car round a track as fast as possible. Quite incredible really.
#73 - JJ72
but if you watch some best motoring video on youtube they just drive it like any normal car.

I guess Top gear were just showing off what's possible with the system, could be faster in certain circumstances but not always.
i don't think driving the TC all the time is the fastest. They allow for some slip over the edge (ie. less than optimal) - basically you end up in a controlled (tiny) drift, which is what JC does when 'testing' a car. The only real racer on TG is stiggles
very true indeed!

New skyline 0-60 in 3.3 seconds
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG