The online racing simulator
New skyline 0-60 in 3.3 seconds
(79 posts, started )
Quote from andybarsblade :well it makes big power road cars usable and safe, look at the veyron

The Veyron is completely pointless and doesn't do what it does well anyway, a Mclaren F1 is nearly a ton lighter and doesn't need 4WD or aids to be safe. Of course it's not really usable on the road but round a track I bet it would be far more fun than anything 4WD.
IMO this is a very impressive performance, and the car doesn' look that bad, but I would get either a 997 Turbo or a Corvette (Z06 or ZR1 anyone?).
nothing impressive about a vette. just a simple car with a big engine? wow where do they get their ideas?
Quote from ajp71 :The Veyron is completely pointless and doesn't do what it does well anyway, a Mclaren F1 is nearly a ton lighter and doesn't need 4WD or aids to be safe. Of course it's not really usable on the road but round a track I bet it would be far more fun than anything 4WD.

Yea, but look at this analogy

Veyron : McLaren F1 :: F1 Now : F1 ~1980s

F1s back in the day were damn fast, now they're nearly 1/4th (maybe more) slower thanks to all the rules and regulations and safety precautions.

Plus, if someone is curious in making a however million $ investment, wouldn't it be worthwhile to ensure it is safe too?
Yes a McLaren F1 would be sweet to own, (well.. until you see the MPG), but you really wouldn't be able to drive it anywhere, on track hell yes, on the road the Veyron is the winner, and that's what it was going for too I believe.
Fastest production car; to bad it isn't anymore lol, didn't take long.
Quote from ajp71 :The Veyron is completely pointless and doesn't do what it does well anyway, a Mclaren F1 is nearly a ton lighter and doesn't need 4WD or aids to be safe. Of course it's not really usable on the road but round a track I bet it would be far more fun than anything 4WD.

The Veyron is pointless how? It's pointless from a profit point-of-view, but it was not designed for profit. It was designed to be a road-car that could hit 400km/h, and it does just that. I honestly don't see how people can say that something with so much research and technology and progress - whether indirect or direct progress - is pointless. That's like saying improving old technology, or designing new technology is pointless altogether. We might as well still be driving cars from the 40's.

I don't know, maybe I'm just the only one who sees past the "lol wut; it can't do corners as well as a McLaren F1 anyway" perspective and actually appreciates a company engineering what was previously thought to be impossible.
mclaren F1 is full of pointless junk when you compare it with a F40 .... no contest who cares about top speed (200mph will do) the f40 is a pure race car no extras, makes a mclaren look like a rolls royce. you cant say a veyron is a pointless car its just another motoring mile stone, ok it will never get raced in a gt series but then it was never made with that in mind, but that should'nt make it pointless
Quote from XCNuse :
Veyron : McLaren F1 :: F1 Now : F1 ~1980s

F1s back in the day were damn fast, now they're nearly 1/4th (maybe more) slower thanks to all the rules and regulations and safety precautions.

What planet are you on? A modern Formula 1 car would run circles round an '80s F1 car. They may have been spectacular but they were slower in every area than a modern Formula 1 car. Although you do have a point that I think the fastest ever Formula 1 car is still the 2003 Ferrari, and with the way F1 seems to be heading it could well retain that title for years to come.

Quote from Jertje :
I don't know, maybe I'm just the only one who sees past the "lol wut; it can't do corners as well as a McLaren F1 anyway" perspective and actually appreciates a company engineering what was previously thought to be impossible.

What's impossible about making a car go very fast in a straight line? Callaway managed to make a Corvette (lighter and less powerful) go faster 19 years ago I hardly think it's a technical marvel. Thrust SSC and the JCB Diesel Max were beautiful pieces of engineering, perfectly thought out and not only met their design brief but in doing so did something previously unattainable, if not thought impossible. A Bonneville salt flats car, a Corvette Sledgehammer and a Bugatti Veyron are all a big engine shoved in a car that go fast in a straight line, any major car company prepared to put up a lot of money for a loss leader could have designed and built the Bugatti Veyron with ease, the only technological improvement/difficulty was the tires everything else was a pretty simple PR exercise.

Quote from andybarsblade :mclaren F1 is full of pointless junk when you compare it with a F40

The F1 LM was 20kg lighter than an F40 and the standard F1 was only a smidgen heavier. I can't really see the argument that the F1 has pointless junk (what exactly?) it set out to do exactly what it intended to be, a pure racing car for the road, but a road car first. It completed its task perfectly, it was never designed to be a racing car so unlike the Ferrari it may have been slightly more refined but it didn't weigh nearly two tons.
Quote from ajp71 :A Bonneville salt flats car, a Corvette Sledgehammer and a Bugatti Veyron are all a big engine shoved in a car that go fast in a straight line, any major car company prepared to put up a lot of money for a loss leader could have designed and built the Bugatti Veyron with ease, the only technological improvement/difficulty was the tires everything else was a pretty simple PR exercise.

And you don't think you're oversimplifying the design-process of the Veyron when you say that it's just a car with a big engine shoved into it? Not even in the slightest? I'd say an estimated production process of 5 million quid per car is a bit steep then.

The Space Shuttle is also basically a lumpy-looking plane with heat-tiles glued onto it, that sits on top of a giant rocket to get into orbit.

... actually it is, but that is besides the point ;p
The space shuttle still did something that was pushing the boundaries. The Bugatti Veyron did none of that, it's basically a 4WD supercar, nothing new the Bugatti EB110 followed the same basic concept the Veyron just had a bigger engine. I'm not saying that it's not an impressive car it just isn't something ground breaking or significant. It's just refining a design and present technology to do what you want it to.
Quote from andybarsblade :nothing impressive about a vette. just a simple car with a big engine? wow where do they get their ideas?

I think it's exactly that that appeals me
I'm surprised nobody quoted Victor yet
I don't really like the looks of the car, but the computer stuff fits in pretty well with the Skylines before, they all were some kind of 50,000 pound playstations, if I recall correctly
Quote from herki :I don't really like the looks of the car, but the computer stuff fits in pretty well with the Skylines before, there all were some kind of 50,000 pound playstations, if I recall correctly

They weren't all bad, just listen to it
I meant the more recent ones
You can't deny that R33 and R34 were more of a toy than a car. I wouldn't say no if I got one, but it's not on my priority car list (fictional of course, I can't afford any gas guzzlers - yet)
Oi! Who said anything about the Vette?
I prefer to see the new GTR as a jack-of-all-trades. It's a street car with some element of luxury and performance at a great value. One of the test cars were spotted at a gas station not far from here (Indiana). I think they were testing it on the US highways and headed to Detroit. My friends chased them until they stopped at a gas station. Unfortunately, the Nissan guys didn't speak a word of English lol!
Quote from ajp71 :What planet are you on? A modern Formula 1 car would run circles round an '80s F1 car. They may have been spectacular but they were slower in every area than a modern Formula 1 car. Although you do have a point that I think the fastest ever Formula 1 car is still the 2003 Ferrari, and with the way F1 seems to be heading it could well retain that title for years to come.

What's impossible about making a car go very fast in a straight line? Callaway managed to make a Corvette (lighter and less powerful) go faster 19 years ago I hardly think it's a technical marvel. Thrust SSC and the JCB Diesel Max were beautiful pieces of engineering, perfectly thought out and not only met their design brief but in doing so did something previously unattainable, if not thought impossible. A Bonneville salt flats car, a Corvette Sledgehammer and a Bugatti Veyron are all a big engine shoved in a car that go fast in a straight line, any major car company prepared to put up a lot of money for a loss leader could have designed and built the Bugatti Veyron with ease, the only technological improvement/difficulty was the tires everything else was a pretty simple PR exercise.

The F1 LM was 20kg lighter than an F40 and the standard F1 was only a smidgen heavier. I can't really see the argument that the F1 has pointless junk (what exactly?) it set out to do exactly what it intended to be, a pure racing car for the road, but a road car first. It completed its task perfectly, it was never designed to be a racing car so unlike the Ferrari it may have been slightly more refined but it didn't weigh nearly two tons.

I think you mean 2004 Ferrari..
Has the GTR beighn on toip gear yest if so can someone gimme a link casu new ep of topgear take long time here to air
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Has the GTR beighn on toip gear yest if so can someone gimme a link casu new ep of topgear take long time here to air

?
I believe the GTR is on the upcoming season of Top Gear, it's already been on fifth gear though
Quote from R34GTR :I believe the GTR is on the upcoming season of Top Gear, it's already been on fifth gear though

Big bump:

Looks like the GTR's on topgear again this sunday, i hope they take it round the track and show what a giant killer this car really is

ps i cant wait to see the v-spec its going to fly

just amazing
It got away with Jeremy's neck and is neck and neck with an F430 Scuderia. I wonder what would happen if they got a hold of the V-spec...
#50 - Jakg
That car looked very VERY "floaty" on track, like it was constantly doing a 4-wheel drift... Odd I thought...

New skyline 0-60 in 3.3 seconds
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG