The online racing simulator
You have gone through a dump file with a debugger, right?
I BSOD daily with the classic nv4disp. (forget the whole name) problem.

I'd bet on drivers. I get the IRQL_EQUAL whatever stuff too.

Just restart and carry on. No problems here ^o^

Sarge.
Oh god no!

Hiper's are terrible imho - if you want to blow everything in your pc keep using it.

Hipers, Qtec etc are all big no go areas.

If you re-install all your drivers and it still happens then i would be 100% sure it is your PSU.

The overheating would explain it - the PSU simply is cheapy and probably hasn't got the effeciency or a very capable 12V line.

An OCZ 600watt would be a million times better, wont blow your pc into a thousand bits and isn't too much money.

Dont get the 500watt though - it only has one 4 pin cpu plug
Maybe you should call PC world ?

Sounds like a failing PSU.
#55 - Jakg
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Maybe you should call PC world ?

No way, i dont want some spotty-faced teenager touching my PC!

ATM i have no cash to replace the PSU so time to start saving!
Also worth a mention is check all your cable connections. Obvious but overlooked perhaps.
I Used to have this happen alot with my pc and even used to just restart and i fix this too but i think its Psu
Quote from Jakg :No way, i dont want some spotty-faced teenager touching my PC!

I guess that means you're going to get someone else to touch your PC for you!
Could be your drivers (again). I'll talk to you on MSN so it will be a bit easier to help (I've added you)
#60 - Jakg
Quote from h3adbang3r :Could be your drivers (again). I'll talk to you on MSN so it will be a bit easier to help (I've added you)

Installed latest GFX drivers - hasn't fixed it. Anything else?
Quote from Jakg :Installed latest GFX drivers - hasn't fixed it. Anything else?

Next time you BSOD- make sure you write down the stop error that is shown then google it on another computer (or the offending one). It will be much easier if you set it to not automatically restart when a BSOD happens.
checking the dumps would accomplish that, it's fairly easy
#63 - Jakg
580 watt is more than fine. I have my stuff overclocked that's probably even using more power. And I got a 400 watt - Heavy duty though.

Heres a question for you

- Does your dumpreg-1 come on in msconfig
>Start
>Run
>type msconfig in the box.
>Goto Start up.

What that looks to appear as if to me, your windows is messing up. I have no clue why it would be... Virus maybe? Maybe your virus software didn't find it.

I suggest trying ClamWin if you haven't.

::EDIT::

Reload your windows and take that out of the problem. Could be one nasty virus eating those files. PSU's do not do that. They either reboot, turn off or just burn up pretty quick... to actually power the fan. It's possible that's dieing... Not likely, I wouldn't really bother with the PSU. PSU doesn't delete windows files or give errors like that.

Now on the other hand. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, memtest isn't always accurate. I'd suggest removing one of your sticks of memory, and test that. If it fails, take the other out and test the other. Those are files that are read by the memory, when the memory fails it corrupts the files by actually doing the string err whatever wrong.

That's all I can help you with. If the files are corrupted then... your windows is screwed. Trying reloading windows first. It is possible that sometimes the memory can actually glitch and screw some of those strings up. Maybe a 1/1000000 Chance... never had it happen to me.
#65 - Jakg
Trust me I don't have a Virus (although i'll install some Anti-Virus later-on today).

It's a Hiper 580w PSU, which isn't known for it's quality, and it's powering a lot of kit - running on heat output (I'm guessing that obvsiouly something takes in more power than it gives off in heat) i've got a 177w+ 8800GTX, a 95w+ CPU, a secondary 6600GT and 3 hard drives.

EDIT - What's "dumpreg-1"? I can't see it in msconfig under startup...
Didn't come on then.

Try what I said above. And trust me mines a generic lol.

ALSO! When the PSU is failing it fails to open applications like "Xxxx.EXE has encountered a problem blah blah" Then if you restart, IT WORKS! I know myself I've had 10-12 fail on me.
#67 - Jakg
I've had firefox crash a few times (and XMPlay) but nothing demanding which makes no sense as surely under load the PSU would be more likely to fail - but it never does...
Uhh like what sort of crashes, when you go to open them? Or they just fail after abit?

::EDIT::

When you play a game WHAT happens exactly?
#69 - Jakg
Firefox is the app i use 90% of the time (yeah I don't game much), and occasionally I get a "Firefox.exe has encountered an error and needs to close. Click "Ok" to continue" sort of error. Same for XMPlay (Media Player, like Foobar). This happens "after a while" but is fairly rare. BSOD's happen more regularily.

The only game I think I even have installed atm is LFS. And during that time LFS hasn't crashed once.
Now thats just weird. Eh ok this is gonna be a long process. Take that 8800 out and put the 6600 in. That should really help the PSU if it's failing. And use it for a few hours. Put the 8800 Running Othros, playing a song and browsing. If it doesn't fail after 2 hours... Then it can't be the PSU. Then I'd try the above.

Actually just do the othros and music thing... and just go on some forums or w/e you do online heh.
I'm out of ideas... My next idea is to get a shotgun and blow your computer full of holes... and get a new one?
#72 - Jakg
I did plan on taking my whole PC apart and trying "cable management" but I could also simply put a fan underneath the PSU's fan to try to force more air in...

Runnning Prime95 atm, CPU load is pegged at 100% accross all cores, i'll post the temps after a while but atm everything looks ok (hovering around 63° on the CPU which is the recommended temp).

This is a "control" experiment - I've set the CPU voltage to the VID (Auto -> 1.3125v) and set the timings right (5-5-5-15 -> 4-4-4-12) and set the RAM voltage right (Auto -> 2.2v). If this crashes i'll try to remove the 8800GTX for the 6600GT (which will be a total pain as the thing is HUGE).

EDIT - Core 1 is at 65°, dear god my ghetto dual pump/rad/res setup sucks.
#73 - Jakg
30 mins of 100% CPU load, all fans on "auto" except the fan on Reserator #1 (where water goes into coming from the PC) which is on the lowest setting.

Sounds like you're having a tough time... I do hope you're playing music? Just to stress it even more.
Actually you know what, 30 minutes is good enough... I'd still go atleast 2. If it doesn't fail it's no PSU problem.

PC Constantly BSOD'ing - Need Help
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG