The online racing simulator
Hey do not misunderstand me, I am not the one who complains here.

Quote from franky500 :
What i would like to see is where anything says that all the updates / improvements will be done in a specific way and to a USERS time frame? or to any time frame in fact.

Nowhere but in people's imagination, no arguing about that
Quote from Scawen :I have a very short phrase for them but can't say it on a public forum.

Sure you can. I imagine most of us would enjoy that phrase
Disclaimer: I am speaking only for myself. I do not feel like a sheep, LFS is the only game I have purchased for...xx years (since some floppy discs during Atari computers times .

I want to say thank you to the dev team, and especially to Scawen, for the following:
I like the game for what it is but also as a unique piece of software, which possesses the characteristics of objects created by skilled craftsmen (good and bad ones, overall very positive - like a hand made english car (or expensive swiss watch) maybe?)

I appreciate the tone Scawen puts in the communications on the forums lately, taking a little more time to explain his choices in development and sharing with us what the next steps could be. Some here should read these posts more carefully before spamming nonsense.
The test patches forum is very informative, but maybe a read only feature and special registration granted by the mod team to post in there would help keeping the spam (even friendly spam is spam) out.

I have little interest in eye candy but still think that the tracks and cars look very good even on my laptop, at least good enough not to worry about them and concentrate on racing. Which is what I am (still) here for.

Also thank you for remaining focused and working hard despite sometimes harsh and unrefined criticism on these forums. Sometimes when I read them I feel than if I were in the dev teams place I would need to take a long break from LFS.

So thanks and please continue creating this unique sim.
Periodically when spectating another player, the view from inside of the car isn't quite.... straight shall we say.

From time to time, it will set the view (for that player only) look at either of the front wheels, or directly out the back of the car...

My father had this problem this morning, and also another friend of mine.

I will try get some screenshots of it in the future (but I doubt my father will be able to remember how, he isn't exactly.... computer savy. HAHA)
Quote from Scawen :It's easier to release a half-baked code feature that works, but you can't release a track with some hills you can see under and cars with holes in them.

:singer: Hype train! hype train! .... calling all passengers to aboard the hype train!
That's called rumor train :shhh:
Hills? must be the Nurburgring, it's in black and white, so it's fact
Found the reason for it.

There was a new "views" folder, which contained a few. Removed that, and all is sorted.

(at dads :P)
Quote from X-Ter :Sure you can. I imagine most of us would enjoy that phrase

On that specific point, instead of a very short phrase, I think I have something sensible to say to those who say we should expand the team :

Please don't forget, it is the way we chose to work, that is the actual reason for LFS's existence. We did want to get away from all the communication and efficiency issues of working in a larger company. This is how LFS began and how it continued. It of course has some advantages and some disadvantages.

We find it successful and we believe that we continue (even if slowly) to deliver more than we promised, never less. That's very important to us, even if some things we add don't seem to benefit some users (e.g. AI drivers don't help people who only go online and Chinese translations aren't of any benefit to European people). Fortunately we have long avoided time predictions and promises, as they would rightly be considered contractual obligations that we could not fulfil.

Back on topic :

Thanks again for the comments. I'm very pleased that the patch is running so well and bug-free. Clearly the best LFS ever and we look forward to releasing the future updates that will come, planned or unplanned.
Scawen, im not a huge regular on the forum and i have committed or somehow helped LFS the least amount compared to alot of people. Do not think that im having a go at you, or having an argument with you or trying to prove you wrong etc, i just simply have a question..

Is there anything wrong with talking about tracks, cars and new content, as well as your plans, IN DETAIL?

Like Ive said in a post a few weeks ago, content means nothing to me, but im sure its why some people are having a cry, and personally i would love to know what is going on in the progression of LFS, and maybe others do too..
Quote from Krammeh :Periodically when spectating another player, the view from inside of the car isn't quite.... straight shall we say.

From time to time, it will set the view (for that player only) look at either of the front wheels, or directly out the back of the car...

My father had this problem this morning, and also another friend of mine.

I will try get some screenshots of it in the future (but I doubt my father will be able to remember how, he isn't exactly.... computer savy. HAHA)

Seems like you used TV director and it has overwritten your custom views? If you haven't I have no idea
Quote from aoun :Scawen, im not a huge regular on the forum and i have committed or somehow helped LFS the least amount compared to alot of people. Do not think that im having a go at you, or having an argument with you or trying to prove you wrong etc, i just simply have a question..

Is there anything wrong with talking about tracks, cars and new content, as well as your plans, IN DETAIL?

Like Ive said in a post a few weeks ago, content means nothing to me, but im sure its why some people are having a cry, and personally i would love to know what is going on in the progression of LFS, and maybe others do too..

Don't you see the same thing will happen as with the interiors? As soon as something is "promised", you will have people demanding it immediately. That's bound to not make you want to release any info, even though most of us (including me) would love that little insight

Sorry for the double-post
Yeah, i agree with ya m8.

But rather say this should be done by then, maybe they could give us insight on what they are working on , and maybe in size 500 font explain the fact this could never be released or could take whenever we feel like + no promises are being made that there will be any content soon, if that makes sense.
Quote from Scawen :
Back on topic :

Thanks again for the comments. I'm very pleased that the patch is running so well and bug-free. Clearly the best LFS ever and we look forward to releasing the future updates that will come, planned or unplanned.

Cant you tell us already som things what's gonne be in lfs in the future ?
Quote from aoun :Is there anything wrong with talking about tracks, cars and new content, as well as your plans, IN DETAIL?

Yes, there is something very wrong with that.

Anything we say we're going to do, becomes something we HAVE to do. The problem is plans change.

The amazing thing is that whatever tiny thing I say, like "I think this will happen" or "I would expect that this will happen" eventually gets fired back as "Scawen promised this or that" when something happens differently or even in a slightly different order.

Even now, being totally minimal and not revealing anything, other than what we are almost certain about, still results in attacks and arguments. So to go into further detail about our current predictions of the future would be like digging a grave for LFS.
To me LFS still is full of potential and I can see a bright future for it.

I along with several others eagerly look forward to further improvements in various facets of physics simulation, and equaly enhancements to the game environment and physics world (I'm being deliberatly vague because I don't think this is the place, plenty of interesting disuccions around the forum on these aspects over the years)

But with that I am fully happy and content with LFS in its current state, LFS is what you make of it Like Technique comments the updates are icing on the cake.

I look forward to the next series of patches especially keen to see how the collision and damage model is improved, as that has great potential to improve racing in many ways.

Meanwhile I'll see some of you on the track as I always do. Oh and there are others that I bump into online that have been around since ancient times that have never posted on the forums. So a portion of those that really like racing online are rarely seen here
Well, still i stick by my feelings in that there should be, at the same time, i 100% agree with you mate.

Plus, your the boss! Your choice in the end, and you know whats best.
I would just like to take the time to write a little reply in this post.

I think that LFS development is huge. I myself am a programmer/developer in a few languages and I can tell that the changes that they have done in the last year since I have had an S2 licence has been tremendous.

I bet none of you school runners or self building teenagers have worked that much in the last year.

How about you cut them a break, and actually congratulate them on the work that they have done.

Try suggesting a few things (other than more track and cars), and then you can possibly move LFS in a way that you may like more.

-----------------

I personally think that LFS is a brilliant simulator and an AWESOME peice of programming and development. Yes there are things that could be added and improved upon, BUT THEY ARE! Things are getting better. The simulator is getting much more powerful.

With the items that they have made public info that are being added after this patch I think will make it a lot better.

The sheer amount of hours that I have played LFS is quite immense.

Thank you Scawen, Eric & Victor, for the brilliant all round experience that you have created and given us. You should hold your heads VERY high right now as you have brought us a brilliant gaming/simulation experience - and you keep delivering!

Thank you! I know I appriciate it, shame not all do.
See, the "unplanned updates" are the ones that interest me, usually because they are ones that the community have specifically requested. And generally the community can see things that those with a specific goal in mind might not.

I want to board that rumour train too, but it was said in a purely speculative manner so I'm not holding my breath. Unless... no, no rumour train for me.
/backs away from the Rumourville platform.

The entire point of remaining and indie developer is to avoid the stress and pressure placed on you by a publisher trying to get a product out the door ASAP to squeeze as much cash out of as little work as possible. That way the creative process is entirely under control.
You can't say to EA or Activision "no hold up, there's this one bit of this texture I'm not quite happy with. And that tree over there is 2 feet too far left. And that bit there just needs fine tuned. Gimme a couple of days and I'll have it" because they don't care whether it's 100% perfect or not - it's a money game and if you're slowing down the income then you get ignored or fired.

LFS is in the hands of people who love it - and ONLY them. People on here complain that Gran Turismo doesn't feel real or that Grid has too much blur or Dirt is too brown or Forza doesn't have enough trackside detail. Those developers have no choice but to release it when they're told to, even if they're not happy with it.
Thankfully LFS doesn't fall into that category. Scawen, Eric and Victor finish their work when it's done and new releases get churned out when they're ready. If any one of them isn't happy with it, it gets held back until they are. That's the power of the indie.

I like Forza and will keep buying them for the 360, but I have a special affinity for LFS. It's like the underdog. It has a minescule budget in comparison to the big guys (GTR, Forza, GT, iR) but it kicks f*cking ass. It's like a high school movie where Gran Turismo is the quarterback and LFS is the little nerdy geek. In the end, that geek is gonna whup that jock's ass and steal his cheerleader girlfriend.

Jeez that was a rant. The defence rests, your honour.
Dajmin, you must watch too many movies!
Quote from Scawen :Anyone who says we should change our way of working and turn LFS into a company with employees, I have a very short phrase for them but can't say it on a public forum.

I remember wishing you turned LFS into a company with employees. Many times. It's not to offend you or to dictate what you should do...it's logical thinking when one appreciate LFS.

It always happen like that and I suppose not only for me. I run other sims, some mods, some cars, some tracks and it feels weird.

Then I come back to LFS, and it feels right. It feels right and it is the only sim for me that feels right until now. So how could I possibly NOT wish to have more of it, to have every track every car from other sims in LFS? How could I possibly NOT beg for it on forum?

Yeah yeah, I know it's selfish
Quote from Dajmin :It's like a high school movie where Gran Turismo is the quarterback and LFS is the little nerdy geek. In the end, that geek is gonna whup that jock's ass and steal his cheerleader girlfriend.

There are other geeks in the school too, but the cheerleader only has a crush on one of them... if he doesn't aproach her, she would have to go with the other geeks, but she will always love that one special geek, no matter what...
i thought the rear wings of the GTR cars could come off? =[
thanks for a great patch, looks fantastic.

edit - NSX_FReeDoM:- thats a planned addition, not in this patch.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :i thought the rear wings of the GTR cars could come off? =[

Breakable wings is one of the additons still to be completed before S2 loses its alpha status.

LFS S2 - Patch Z
(556 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG