The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
If my financial situation changed, and my PC is working at the time I will try this for a month...
True, I haven't seen anything to convince me into buying it yet... And with the price they're asking I'd expect much much more than they offer atm.

Oi Jack, get out of the way please
Quote from Shotglass :and they never will... looks like they have as much physics running during the replay as rfactor does

And I was wondering about this one that deggis linked up there - it's a TV cam view of the same in-car lap he linked. I guess I'm not the only one that found the motion of the car weird - especially that odd dip during shifts.
Quote from xaotik :I guess I'm not the only one that found the motion of the car weird - especially that odd dip during shifts.

i know what you mean... it all happens too abruptly... as if the car had no inertia at all which brings us back to an earlier discussion about them getting one of the msot basic parameters of a car wrong
the radical in this video does the same thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5307LwrEOM
However the close-up of the suspension working in the formula mazda here seems to be ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBBCf2n18e8

The above, low quality, video shows 3 different cars - even has a radical in it which bounces along quite a bit at Lime Rock, perhaps the suspension setup wasn't too good. Pity about the frozen inanimate driver in the T-cam view. In the front suspension close-up of the radical it seems to be ok again, despite the clipping between the spoiler and the track surface that occurs pretty often, it also shows some damage modeling towards then end where he loses it, sadly he don't zoom out to see the extent and if it's pre-defined.

Also in the related videos I saw people racing the Legend cars in normal circuits - what's all this about them being oval-only (it's even mentioned in the SRT preview)?
Quote from xaotik :
Also in the related videos I saw people racing the Legend cars in normal circuits - what's all this about them being oval-only (it's even mentioned in the SRT preview)?

Are there any videos of people racing them on normal circuits? I get the impression the online racing will be limited to cars at certain circuits (so that might also mean you will have to buy new tracks you don't want to be able to progress with the cars you had to buy but don't want so you can get to the car/track combos you want).
Quote from ajp71 :Are there any videos of people racing them on normal circuits? I get the impression the online racing will be limited to cars at certain circuits (so that might also mean you will have to buy new tracks you don't want to be able to progress with the cars you had to buy but don't want so you can get to the car/track combos you want).

I think he meant RL videos of Legends at a road track... nikimere in his at Mondello for example...
Quote from ajp71 :Are there any videos of people racing them on normal circuits?

Nope - haven't seen any - actual racing videos are pretty scarce so far and usually boring oval stuff, mostly practice laps showing off the circuit racing.

You're likely right though that in races it might be constrained - sounds silly though: there's nothing oval-only in the Legends' car, I can understand the built-to-turn-left-Mad-Max-like SK Modifieds being only in ovals, but not the Legends.

Quote from bbman :I think he meant RL videos of Legends at a road track... nikimere in his at Mondello for example...

Nah, I mean in the iRacing videos on youtube - ajp71 got it. I was given the impression that the Legends' car was locked to ovals only, however I saw a video of someone driving it at Lime Rock I think.

Anyhow - I'll stand by the 'pricing policy not for me' crowd. I've got enough toys to keep me busy when I'm so inclined.
End line - iRacing sucks, wait for rFactor to do thos "laser" graphics stuff and u have the same thing
Quote from DevilDare :End line - iRacing sucks, wait for rFactor to do thos "laser" graphics stuff and u have the same thing

Your so wrong. For the driving experience iRacing is in a whole different universe compared to rFactor.
rFactor with reelfeel and laser scanned tracks is certainly a huge improvement, but it still doesn't feel as good as iRacing.

iRacing doesn't suck at all, it just doesn't in any way justify its price tag.

I may not have been enthusiastic in many things I've said about iRacing, and it's certainly not for me at the moment, but some of the things people are saying about it ,without having tried it, are ludicrous .
The "driving experience" is good. There were/are a few things I didn't like, I felt car to car collisions were particularly weakly done, and (for me) there was a slight vagueness to the FFB, despite the framerate being good. Damage model is little better than LFS, you can still drive around with a car that is actually completely killed. The cars do behave really well, though. And of course the tracks are great, really well done, 100% accurate etc etc (not that you'd notice in most cases). They've also sharpened things up on the interface side now. Previously selecting a car and track was something you had to plan your day around (relatively), now it's much better.

They still persist with their "sign up for a race at Xpm" system rather than the conventional "join a server" system. I don't like it, you can go online with a beginner license and have to wait up to an hour for a race, and there may be nobody else signed up for it by that time either, it's a chance you have to take. It needs large numbers immediately, it's not easy for a tiny number of individuals to "hang out" and have fun in the game like you can with LFS and all the others. I would think it might be its downfall, except after committing the cash you'll persevere just to get value, and that might get enough people into it. They're offering all the extra content to testers for free just to get the user base up as high as possible. A smart thing to do.

I wasn't sold. If it was cheap I'd have it on my hdd and then if it was easier to use I'd race it frequently. It isn't, but I'm sure plenty of very serious people will get a lot of joy out of it, because beneath it all it really is very good.
Hey, I raced a real Legends car around a regular track and there's certainly nothing 'oval-only' about 'em.
Quote from sinbad :They still persist with their "sign up for a race at Xpm" system rather than the conventional "join a server" system. I don't like it, you can go online with a beginner license and have to wait up to an hour for a race, and there may be nobody else signed up for it by that time either, it's a chance you have to take. It needs large numbers immediately, it's not easy for a tiny number of individuals to "hang out" and have fun in the game like you can with LFS and all the others.

You've answered your own point there. The time between races was set to ensure enough participation during the beta phase. As numbers increase, the frequency of races will also.

I agree with you that the integration of the community into the racing ie lobby, seamless chat app, continuous practice servers (this is a priority for DK) need to improved and I hope they will be.

I'm going to try the $20 trial first. Then go from there.
Quote from sinbad :The "driving experience" is good. There were/are a few things I didn't like, I felt car to car collisions were particularly weakly done, and (for me) there was a slight vagueness to the FFB, despite the framerate being good. Damage model is little better than LFS, you can still drive around with a car that is actually completely killed. The cars do behave really well, though. And of course the tracks are great, really well done, 100% accurate etc etc (not that you'd notice in most cases). They've also sharpened things up on the interface side now. Previously selecting a car and track was something you had to plan your day around (relatively), now it's much better.

They still persist with their "sign up for a race at Xpm" system rather than the conventional "join a server" system. I don't like it, you can go online with a beginner license and have to wait up to an hour for a race, and there may be nobody else signed up for it by that time either, it's a chance you have to take. It needs large numbers immediately, it's not easy for a tiny number of individuals to "hang out" and have fun in the game like you can with LFS and all the others. I would think it might be its downfall, except after committing the cash you'll persevere just to get value, and that might get enough people into it. They're offering all the extra content to testers for free just to get the user base up as high as possible. A smart thing to do.

I wasn't sold. If it was cheap I'd have it on my hdd and then if it was easier to use I'd race it frequently. It isn't, but I'm sure plenty of very serious people will get a lot of joy out of it, because beneath it all it really is very good.

There's a man who talks sense!

So in terms of physics do you think it's worth it's price tag taking into consideration all the other sims available on the market?

Over a three year period am are you going to get £400 (or whatever it is) more worth in iRacing than committing to LFS/netKar ( believe) for the same period?

I personally can't justify that sum myself even if iRacing was PERFECT! A real engine Vs iRacing for a few years... no contest
Quote from dontsimon :
I'm going to try the $20 trial first. Then go from there.

Does anybody have the pricing information for 3 months? If it comes with enough free credit to get the Skip Barber car I might go for 3 months. I'm certainly not going for a year and all the content without trying it as an alarming number of people on RSC say they're going to.

Just waiting for Danowat to check his PMs
iRacing is NOT interested in the "sim racing community"
I've been reading a lot of this for the last few weeks.
- I haven't read it all, so maybe this has been said before?

I don't think iRacing is interested in the "sim racing community".
I think they are only after real world NASCAR (and other TV race) fans.

Those fans can afford to pay iRacing's "game rental" fees.
In fact - they are accustomed to renting games @ BLOCKBUSTER.
They are also used to waiting around for races to start.
That's what the beer is for!

So let's look at the 75 million NASCAR fans who might try iRacing:
- they probably aren't NOT SIM RACERS or PC gamers already
- they will be normal advertising/superstar endorsement driven consumers
- they will see the semi-truck "demo booth" on TV & at the races
- they will go buy best "gaming PC" from DELL - endorsed by Dale, Jr.
- they will go buy a cockpit for "the game room" - endorsed by Dale, Jr.
- they will go buy a mini-keg refrigerator for inside the cockpit
- they will go buy a triple 32" LCD monitor set-up
- they will go buy a G25 wheel, etc.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anyway - let's do some math... based on the annual rental rate.
1% of 75 million fans = 750,000 x $13 a month = $9,750,000 - MONTHLY!
$9,750,000 - monthly x 12 months = $117,000,000 - ANNUALLY!

Let's try - one tenth (1/10) of 1% of 75 milllion fans:
75,000 x $13 a month = $975,000 - MONTHLY!
$975,000 - monthly x 12 months = $11,700,000 - ANNUALLY!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That should keep the company running every year - no problem!

I think that would stay stable too.
- new people join - old people quit, etc.

I found some interesting stats on the NASCAR demographic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR
http://www.gommi.com/rftc_media/race_demographics.htm
http://racejesus.com/marketing%20demographics.htm

=================================================
Personally - I'd love to try iRacing.

There are some really good & bad things about this system... IMO.
I think the limited car & track model for the online "system" is great.
Beginner cars & matchmaking & wrecker penalties sound great... like CTRA?

Buying additional cars and tracks does not!

I think it should allow "FREE RACING" among ourselves in non-ranked mode.
Just like all racing games are right now + a "pay to play" online system.

I think I'd pay $50 a year for that (like buying a new version each year).
I might even go for a game purchase @ $50 + another $50 annually for online.

Maybe $50 for the game, then $20 to enter each individual:
Seasons / race class / Pro - Am - Novice - club categories, etc.

Very interesting ideas kickin' around though...
I think some other company will also try to compete in this arena too.
I'm sure all other companies will also try to make the same kind of $$$.

I really look forward to the next few months.
I'm interested to see what comes from other companies as a result!
Quote :- they will go buy best "gaming PC" from DELL - endorsed by Dale, Jr.
- they will go buy a cockpit for "the game room" - endorsed by Dale, Jr.
- they will go buy a mini-keg refrigerator for inside the cockpit
- they will go buy a triple 32" LCD monitor set-up
- they will go buy a G25 wheel, etc.

Sounds like sim racers to me
http://www.insidesimracing.tv/ ... amp;id=148&Itemid=206

You who post here have seen this, I guess?

If I understand it correctly, ALL cars are licensed, and ALL tracks are laser scanned?

Since nobody is subsidising or sponsoring them, since they are so small, I guess we have to pay the price tag for all that, so 10x normal price tag isn't that suprising. Just remember when we, the LFS community, tried to get a license for the Nordschleife track?

But as a "normal" person, I can't possibly justify that price tag, and I suspect that's exactly what they want. They won't have to worry about 14-year old kids racing, people wrecking or dropping out of races. People who put up that much money won't mess around.

Too bad. I really liked Nascar 2003 and GPL, and I would have liked to try this as well. Anyway, I guess we're lucky that LFS is made in the spirit of both those games.
Quote from eobet :
If I understand it correctly, ALL cars are licensed, and ALL tracks are laser scanned?

Quote :
Since nobody is subsidising or sponsoring them, since they are so small, I guess we have to pay the price tag for all that, so 10x normal price tag isn't that suprising. Just remember when we, the LFS community, tried to get a license for the Nordschleife track?

There has never been a serious (public) request for real circuit licenses in LFS and it is against the Devs announced plans anyway. Licenses shouldn't be an issue for a lot of interesting real circuits now anyway, Eastern Creek were very accommodating in letting an rF modder scan their track for free and several rF tracks and cars now have official approval and input (though that is no guarantee on quality), licenses shouldn't be an issue anymore if developers want to create real content the chances are lots of the club circuits like those featured in iRacing will be happy to let people scan tracks for free.
I have one single nomination left, the first person to pm me with first name , last name and email gets it.

edit : by god that was fast, last nomo gone........
Well since yours is gone and I still have 7 or 8 nominations left if anyone wants to pm me with their first and last name and email.
the invite is just that you get to pay and play 1st. not that u get to try it for free, right?
Quote from Gabkicks :the invite is just that you get to pay and play 1st. not that u get to try it for free, right?

Correct.
Quote from danowat :I have one single nomination left, the first person to pm me with first name , last name and email gets it.

edit : by god that was fast, last nomo gone........

Did you do mine from earlier?
I still have several left as well.
-
(ajp71) DELETED by ajp71
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG