The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from wsinda :Same here. I could understand it if the price was double that of any other sim, or if you'd pay extra for software updates. Or if it included significant services, like stewarded races (which appears not to be the case).

As it stands, you keep on paying for a product whose main cost is one-off (namely development). And you must pay for more content. That's extortionate.

But I don't think that the development is going to be a 'one-off' cost. This has potential to grow into something truly huge, so there will be more tracks to scan, more cars to add, hopefully servers in the main country's to allow for regional and better (lag/ping wise) racing. Heck I dare not think of the job they would have if they tried to laser scan the Nordischlafe (Apologies for spelling, but I have been told by the Doctor it's not Dyslexia....I'm just thick).
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :But I don't think that the development is going to be a 'one-off' cost. This has potential to grow into something truly huge, so there will be more tracks to scan, more cars to add, hopefully servers in the main country's to allow for regional and better (lag/ping wise) racing. Heck I dare not think of the job they would have if they tried to laser scan the Nordischlafe (Apologies for spelling, but I have been told by the Doctor it's not Dyslexia....I'm just thick).
  • New tracks and cars: You already pay extra for them.
  • Extra servers: I doubt if the cost is significant, compared to the rest of the development.
  • Nordschleife: The price of extra content may vary. They can set the price of each item so it covers their costs.
Quote from George Kuyumji :ROFL!! No but you can try it out if you ever visit Austria let me know

I have made some Pics with iRacing

Are you using SoftTH or TH2GO?
TH2GO.

Does anybody here want an invite to join the Service on the 11th? AndroidXP? You seem a nice fella
Hehe, no thanks. I couldn't even pay for it.
Quote from SamH :A long time ago, they said that it would be priced in a way that would attract real racecar drivers and, more specifically, not be appealing to casual simmers. At least that's how I read their website, anyway. They've remained true to that.

I think it has become very clear that real drivers are not their main target. What kind of real driver has enough free time that they can commit themselves for such highly restrictive online system? Amateur drivers have real jobs and professional drivers has lots of all kinds responsibilities outside the track. Incase they don't offer some kind of "pay us 5000$ and you get everything at once and it's yours forever" package.

Question: Can you actually earn "iRacing money" by racing well which you can then use to buy new cars / tracks? Is this "iRacing money" same as the 60 bucks you get when you take the 1 year subscription?

-
Well, there's no telling what he did to it prior to the cut.

(They don't blow that easily.)
Quote from DarrenMarsh :FOV yes from about 40 to 135 degrees IIRC.

Eye point, no. It's cockpit view only, fixed position, and fov is the only thing you can adjust. It has the usual look left/right button support. No look behind, but it has a virtual mirror as in most sims.

TrackIR support is in the sim, but was waiting on a new driver release from NaturalPoint to add the support on their side. That was from early May, so if there have been any driver releases since then, it may be supported already.

Currently just waiting on the official ok to release the developer ID...............
Quote from NaturalPoint_Support :Currently just waiting on the official ok to release the developer ID...............

I hope it comes soon, people start to use the TrackIR device with that 'other' program.

Quote from deggis :I think it has become very clear that real drivers are not their main target. What kind of real driver has enough free time that they can commit themselves for such highly restrictive online system? Amateur drivers have real jobs and professional drivers has lots of all kinds responsibilities outside the track.

Amateur drivers still have plenty of time between the Races and so do professional drivers. Why is everyone in here so negative?
Attached images
friends.JPG
I think I'll wait until they get more stuff around the bones. Flatshifting and hotlapping along with waiting to actually get a race is not my thing. And from what I've read on various forums the solstice is utterly boring car to drive, just as I expected really. And you have to start with a rookie version of it, even less hp. The worst thing seems to be the grinding system, must drive endless amound of races before I get into the better cars, in the damn solstice. And the term better cars is mostly imaginative as they are not really offering any interesting cars yet. And then I need to pay more for it. Suddenly the 20$ per month may rise up to 70$ per month (few tracks and a new car). Even that is not really all that much but I'm having some serious thoughts if it is worth it?

I think I'll wait until they offer proper cars and the chance to actually drive and race them with other people. Maybe it's more finished then too. Let's see later again how it works. In the meantime, hopefully the Niels team gets the historic mod ready for rf and hopefully it is good enough
Quote from George Kuyumji :Amateur drivers still have plenty of time between the Races and so do professional drivers.

Racing is not the only thing real driver does. Altough I forgot money... paying couple hundred bucks is probably non-issue for a real driver, even if he bought every track and car right away. I didn't say no real driver would use iRacing. But I doubt them being the main target. Also, if it was meant mainly for real drivers, why all this online stuff? That would not be essential for a real driver, learning the track and physics are.

That pic is interesting... But didn't he use (youtube video) N2003 too so not so surprising. Btw can you fake the name somehow? Surely it at least can't be connected to your credit card name?
Quote from George Kuyumji : Why is everyone in here so negative?

It's not just in here George

I don't think it's plain negativity, it's a reluctance to fork out a lot of money (in relative terms) to take part in a system that simply doesn't appeal to that many people.
Couple that with cars that don't appeal to many, the whole rental aspect, the inability to just set up a server and race with your mates, the lack of any new features (and the omission of many features that are already in other sims, and have been for years)... I could go on.....

I think these are all perfectly legitimate concerns that are putting a lot of people off, and that the devs should take notice of. But of course they wont as they have their vision and they are sticking to it. That's fair enough, but it excludes a very large proportion of the already small sim racing community.

It certainly a shame as it's probably the best sim engine to date.

I cant see why many of the iRacing supporters cant see any of the negatives.
Of course when they are investing $xxx per year in something they don't own, they don't want to see the negatives

Quote from deggis :Btw can you fake the name somehow? Surely it at least can't be connected to your credit card name?

It is connected entirely to your credit card. No faking of names in iRacing. (which is no problem in my book)
EDIT. It seems that's not strictly true after all.
That doesn't work well for me, because I don't have a credit card, therefore I'd be using my fathers. So I'm gonna be Daniel Dawes throughout iRacing?

That's shitty IMO.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That doesn't work well for me, because I don't have a credit card, therefore I'd be using my fathers. So I'm gonna be Daniel Dawes throughout iRacing?

That's shitty IMO.

There were several testers in beta who successfully got their display names changed.
I hope I can, for reasons mentioned prior.
lol, if jeff gordon endorses iRacing along w/ a few other drivers. maybe some cars from the Speed GT championships or Speed touring car championships those cars seem to have some great racing on the tracks already included in iRacing. After build my new pc, i'll definatly try out iRacing. paying 20 bucks just to try the game out is gonna suck...
Quote from The Moose :I cant see why many of the iRacing supporters cant see any of the negatives.

There are plenty of supporters who see it's shortcomings. I think it's just a matter of wanting to be positive. There are also cynics and naysayers (some here) who will never see the positives no matter how great it may or may not turn out to be.
Quote from dontsimon :There are plenty of supporters who see it's shortcomings. I think it's just a matter of wanting to be positive. There are also cynics and naysayers (some here) who will never see the positives no matter how great it may or may not turn out to be.

Or people just don't want to fork out that kind of money for something when the same could be had elsewhere.

Sure real tracks/cars, I'd rather wait for LFS to have both knowing that the devs are here for the community, not to make cash.
I don`t see the point racing against random unknown people just to score some safety/irating points to get access to new cars that u have to pay for + that the championships probably will force u into buying new tracks. Clever strategy by iRacing to earn money, but it`s not for me.
the major setback for me, is instead of fishing $100 dollars, I can right now load up Rfactor and expect something close to 80% as satisfying (personal opinion) for free, still waiting for that "holysh*t i have to get this asap" moment.

the videos has not done it yet.....NEED A DEMO GUYS!!!
Quote from JJ72 :the videos has not done it yet.

and they never will... looks like they have as much physics running during the replay as rfactor does
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG