The online racing simulator
KILL the tire warmers!
(56 posts, started )
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Eh, I haven't done it recently, but I'll wager that if you put one of Bob's road setups on a XFG and drive it at road speeds (i.e., not flooring it, maxing out at 70mph and taking the corners reasonably) it won't be that loose at all.

Nope.

Excessing skidmarks are still drawn, squealing sounds, you name it. The car will feel tail happy at the slightest twitch. No matter what setup, you still can't alleviate ultra slippery cold tires in LFS... rear wheel drive cars are the worst. It's a big problem, and never liked this 'tire warming' method of trying to make the tires grippy. It just sucks. Even with low-locking front end diffs on the RB4, it still cannot turn a tight circle with cold tires.
In general +1, BUT all the temperature behaviour is basically just a "good guess" anyway, and I fear running ambient temp tyres would, while being interesting, at the moment only highlight the unfinished cold tyre grip levels.
Quote from Scawen :And just to add : the tyre heating and temperature vs grip characteristics on the tyres is not finalised. Those characteristics are too rough an approximation at the moment.

-
(wark) DELETED by wark
I'd agree, Android, but try it out - leave LFS on for an hour, and then drive around with stone-cold tires.
It feels great! The low-power road cars feel absolutly spot on in RL terms (the whole "tires are too sticky" thing is simply not there), and the slicks.. well.. feels like driving on ice for the first lap

That good guess is a pretty damn good one, though
Quote from Tweaker :Nope.

Excessing skidmarks are still drawn, squealing sounds, you name it. The car will feel tail happy at the slightest twitch. No matter what setup, you still can't alleviate ultra slippery cold tires in LFS... rear wheel drive cars are the worst. It's a big problem, and never liked this 'tire warming' method of trying to make the tires grippy. It just sucks. Even with low-locking front end diffs on the RB4, it still cannot turn a tight circle with cold tires.

Have you ever raced on slick tires-fitted go-kart when they're cold ?
I did some, and I can assure you that they are as slippy as prewarmed tires in a laggy first corner...
I remember a race in an indoor track, where about 50% of the grid (including me) spun during first lap.

Maybe it's because you're in California and the hot weather makes your tires prewarmed anyway (jk ^^)
/me is going to try cold tyres out!

I think starting temperature should be ADJUSTABLE in cars wih slicks.
To be honest I didn't really think about the fact that the tyres are too warm at the beginning of a race. But now I do, it's obvious they are.

+1 for the idea on all classes that wouldn't have access to them in real life, slicks or not, (would real FBM series races have access to tyre warmers?? - isn't it a low cost series?). That would deffinitely mean all road cars loose them.
#32 - wien
Sounds like a good idea to me. It'd add a bit more of the "randomness" that LFS is currently lacking. Conditions don't change nearly enough, and something like this would definitely make driving a bit more challenging.

It depends on the low-temp physics being at least in the ballpark though.
i would say yes for road cars and only yes for single seaters and the other slick race cars when formation laps are introduced(well if they are)
standing still for 4 hours and... It feels great with xfg!

+much
Quote from Zen321 :Have you ever raced on slick tires-fitted go-kart when they're cold ?
I did some, and I can assure you that they are as slippy as prewarmed tires in a laggy first corner...
I remember a race in an indoor track, where about 50% of the grid (including me) spun during first lap.

Maybe it's because you're in California and the hot weather makes your tires prewarmed anyway (jk ^^)

Not talking slick tires here, road tires. Even in cold weather and cold tires, you can still grip the road just fine. Which is why LFS confuses me to hell when cold tires during an average day can be so slippery?
+1 for any car that wouldn't use warmers in that kind of class in RL.
Quote from Tweaker :Not talking slick tires here, road tires. Even in cold weather and cold tires, you can still grip the road just fine. Which is why LFS confuses me to hell when cold tires during an average day can be so slippery?

Are you sure you are as gentle to the car in LFS as you are in RL?
Are you sure you don't go a bit too hot into the corners?

Take a video of you driving IRL and then do the same stunts in LFS. Post both the video and the replay. Then we shall see the difference.

Without proof you are just posting what you think you feel.
I guess +1 for cold tyres and I suggest the warm-up lap option, which we'll need in that case.
Quote from March Hare :Are you sure you are as gentle to the car in LFS as you are in RL?
Are you sure you don't go a bit too hot into the corners?

Take a video of you driving IRL and then do the same stunts in LFS. Post both the video and the replay. Then we shall see the difference.

Without proof you are just posting what you think you feel.

Uhh, go 65mph in the XRT and take a moderate corner, just like driving on the highway (our speed limit). You don't feel snappy and start feeling on the edge of sliding like in LFS.

I am not speaking how I feel FYI, don't get on the negative side of things without even knowing for yourself. This has been a common problem in the tire physics since DAY ONE of tire temperatures, and even after the most recent 'grippier' update, cold tires are still not taken into account completely.

Hell even if I drive an RX7 with standard road use tires, completely cold and go out on Laguna Seca to drive, I am not sliding incredibly loose. Think about the rubber already on the track as well. Among other things, autocrossing on any run of the mill type of tire, typically at a dusty and oily parking lot course -- complete opposite of a racetrack... you don't go sliding out. This is all with casual to moderate driving speed - not "stunts" as you call it. You can be gentle in LFS on cold tires, and still feel the slipping... under acceleration is the worst especially. I can't stress it more that cold grip is terrible in LFS... watch the forces view to understand, and you'll see red bars everywhere proving that there is 100% or greater slip under so many different kinds of loads.

And no, I am not going to waste my time making a video just for you... unless you want to buy me a video camera? Besides, I am not going to sink my teeth into some typical LFS debate with video comparisons and the god awful note of "RL" :rolleyes:. Quite surprising after 2 or more years, people still believe the physics are fine in LFS, and continue to detract change.
+ (n-1) <---(so I don't have to count the +'s) for the colder tires

and +1 for the adjustable temps for the cars that would most likely have tire warmers.
ah yh forgot about the agjustable temps
Quote from Tweaker :...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so negative.

It just bugs me when people bash the physics, which are not nearly perfect, and almost never post anything to proove their claims.

Should have remembered that you are a veteran at LFS and have raced real cars.
Quote from Tweaker :Not talking slick tires here, road tires. Even in cold weather and cold tires, you can still grip the road just fine. Which is why LFS confuses me to hell when cold tires during an average day can be so slippery?

Well concerning road tires on road cars i guess it is because standard road cars are really really understeery (made for safety : an understeery RWD will be less likely to kill people inside if it goes straight on while if it starts spinning, the sides could hit something and kill passengers), which means that the tires (the rear ones at least) have a lot of grip power.
However, I totally agree with you when it comes to cold front tires. Racing the XRG, FZ5 and LX4, they tend to lose grip a lot when driving at first, which is quite confusing as well.
I guess the devs did that quite on purpose to make racers in lap 1 go slower and then reduce the accident number ^^
+1 - Tyres should be cold when you start, perhaps not with the formulas at the moment but certainly in the future as they are banning tyre warmers in F1 after this season (I think)

Another thing as far as race spec cars with slicks - has anyone driven on brand spanking new cold slicks? If you have you'll know what I'm getting at...If not - you will come out of the pits, turn the wheel and keep going straight on! Your first lap on a brand new set will be like driving on slicks in the rain, however your second and third laps would have so much grip and feel you could quite easily knock 2-4 tenths off your lap time.

On that note - Would be nice to have the option of selecting new or scrubbed tyres for cars using slicks?
Quote from Ahriman4891 :I guess +1 for cold tyres and I suggest the warm-up lap option, which we'll need in that case.

My hero! ++all_you_said.
Still a demo racer but how about graining to make sure people warm there tyres properly on formation lap.
I think there shouldnt be tire warmers at all, but only in classes that really dont use them.
as people said this should make the begging of the races interesting but the downside is (maybe) T1 crashes++ ... i think
but i think the tire phyics should be updated at the same time...

OT: funny how Bob rates stuff...
idea++ or no_tire_warmers = True or TireWarmers-=1
I disagree,

If tyrewarmers are banned, tyres compound will be adjusted to make the tyre perform in a wider range of tempatures. They are doing it right now for the coming rule change in F1 !

Maybe remove them only on road cars
When we get a warmup lap, sure, remove the tyre warmers, but as it is for now, I'd rather keep them.
Quote from Zen321 :Have you ever raced on slick tires-fitted go-kart when they're cold ?

yeah same here i went to a outdoor karting track in winter like a year ago. the temperature was like 10 degrees. the tires were like freezing.
i was too aggressive and spun the car at T1 as well.

KILL the tire warmers!
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG