The online racing simulator
How have you wasted your life so far?
(80 posts, started )
I'd say these are just the moments when you notice something in your life you want to change. You either sit down and sort the options and make the change or don't. Or not even think about it and keep on going. The options, however, will stay in you mind and form up no matter what and eventually you may gather enough courage to make the choise but the choises may not be there anymore.

Wasn't that poetic? Damn pussies just got their eyes wet
Quote from xaotik :They have - your mind has taken over. Procrastination is one way of putting it. I see it as this:

The mind loves to dominate.
The mind loves the virtual.
The mind loves constants and security.
It's only logical. Just like the mind itself.

Then there's the catch: IT jobs create nothing immediately tangible. It's all virtual. Virtual is easy to simulate in your mind and think you have completed the task ahead thus labelling it as "done" and "who gives a **** - I could do it in 10 minutes if I wanted".

The only thing that pulls me out of that shit is:

a. Waking up in the morning and taking time to reflect. Getting out of bed, sitting and letting myself wake up completely before getting into the robotic routine and in motion.

b. Manual labor. Nothing cleans up my head better than manual labor. Even if it's just cleaning up the house. The minute I sense myself getting caught in the sludge I stop everything and pick up a project - make a shelf, carve a piece of wood, oil all the hinges in the building, something. And do it to what I consider satisfactory - not a half-assed attempt, all the way.

c. Other physical activity for those inclined. Cycling. Uphill. It really puts thing in perspective having pulled through the pain of a 1200m climb, taking in the view and knowing you stuck to it and overcame. Likewise you will do the same when you have a task that requires work - you'll stick to it and overcome.

Yeah, excellent post on all points.

The thing that saves me most is reading, but I'd feel better about it if I read more critically and wrote about what I've read. Always room for self-improvement.
To add to whats been said here, I'd like to point out that the weather up there is depressing. Coming from Spain, I lived for a year in Dublin, and I've made several trips to Scotland, England and northern Europe.

I have to say that long periods with such a bad weather can darken anyone's mind, just get some days off and go somewhere sunny, I bet you'll feel better.
Sport activities. Mmmm...
Quote :Waking up in the morning and taking time to reflect. Getting out of bed, sitting and letting myself wake up completely before getting into the robotic routine and in motion.

First thing I do when I wake up is switch on the computer, put on a coffee, and flick through the internet. I gotta admit I do love it.
Quote from Electrik Kar :First thing I do when I wake up is switch on the computer, put on a coffee, and flick through the internet.

It is not normal in my opinion. How can we do not waste our life in such way?
Well, it's quite normal, but perhaps it's not preferable. I imagine most people get up, put on a coffee and flick through the morning paper. I don't see much difference.
Quote from Electrik Kar :Well, it's quite normal, but perhaps it's not preferable. I imagine most people get up, put on a coffee and flick through the morning paper. I don't see much difference.

Morning paper gets tedious after the third pass but you have to waste quite many human lives to get through the internet once.
#59 - 5haz
I think the best thing to do is just go out for a walk, anywhere.

A countless number of times I've stayed in my tiny Box room when its a lovely day outside, I used to just think 'hmm theres nothing to do outside, but lots to do here on this computer'. But when I actually finally bothered to drag myself outside I found that even just walking round the town even with no particular place to go can be quite entertaining, especially if its a lovely day.
I wake up to music, usually something soft like Biff Naked, Avril Levigne or on really rough mornings Rondo Veneziano. Music is less depressing than the news.
School...
Quote from 5haz :I think the best thing to do is just go out for a walk, anywhere.

A countless number of times I've stayed in my tiny Box room when its a lovely day outside, I used to just think 'hmm theres nothing to do outside, but lots to do here on this computer'. But when I actually finally bothered to drag myself outside I found that even just walking round the town even with no particular place to go can be quite entertaining, especially if its a lovely day.

Yeah, walks are good, especially to alleviate anger. One night, I got pissed off at something, and I ended up walking about 20 KM, around my city at 2:00 AM, just utter silence, very relaxing.
What about sport activities?
I'm too old to play Box Lacrosse (in organized, minor league), Hockey isn't fun to play anymore, so the only sport activities I can do is officiate hockey.
To be honest I feel I have just wasted 4 years of my life in IT education, its definatly not enjoyable for me anymore and the competitiveness in the IT industry in most, maybe even all fields just too much to make decent money.

I am at the moment rethinking my career choice entirely, I wouldnt consider it wasted though with the qualifications gained I can get any mediocre job in IT with ease...if I ever really needed the income, and education aside I have come out with a lot of crazy life experiences that I am sure will help me in the future, being only 19.

I have always taken life as it comes, bad choices, good choices...never know what lies ahead.

To the original poster though, yes, I feel too much gaming time and computer time has disfunctioned my brain somewhat....my concentration level has seemed to plummet from my used to be patient and composed self.

But they were my choices in the end...your just going to need the courage and motivation to change your life around from now.

If you enjoyed making music, go for it. Dont make something that causes you to think and write to the community this thread of concern overpower your true dream and passion.
If you feel like you've wasted your life... throw away your television! Seriously, i've done that about 5 years ago. I believe it's one of the things that a lot of people waste a lot of time with. And it's all crap anyway... i've never missed it.

Aswell... you might want to consider...

Most people are not special, famous, or anything else of this kind. The problem is that many people would love to be however. Those people might feel like they wasted their lifes. It's not important to be famous or special in any way tho. You don't really have to "achieve" anything in your life. The most important thing is that you're happy with yourself.

For example...

I always wished for a creative job. I'd have loved to be a musician, a photographer, a graphic designer, etc. But it somehow never worked out (didn't have the appropriate education, etc). After some time i realised, that it doesn't matter if it's my job or not... i simply started to play my guitars again more often... i bought a camera and started taking pictures... all in my free time... not getting payed for it.

Now guess what... it was actually making me happy!

What i'm trying to say here is:

You don't need to achieve something that you can "present" to the public... it doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be "worth" something. All that matters is that you do things you want to do... that you do things you enjoy... that you do what makes you happy. No matter what it is, and no matter how good/bad it turns out. As long as you do what you really care for... you haven't wasted a single second of your life.

However, as i said, throw away your television.
Everyone here is saying to take it easy and all, but how do you guys manage earn money when you're i.e. taking pictures and playing guitar all day long? Personally I think I've wasted a good bit of my 16 years of life on games, but I still have a life outside gaming that's ok to me.
Quote from Riders Motion :Everyone here is saying to take it easy and all, but how do you guys manage earn money when you're i.e. taking pictures and playing guitar all day long?

Who said all day long?!

Or why would i write "in my free time"?

I have a good job, and apparently, i haven't had any time the last few days for playing games, taking pics or playing guitar or anything of that kind. I'm writing from a hotel room by the way... where i stay during the seminar i have to work for... working on saturday and sunday aswell... and have to go to bed now, since i'll have to get up and be at work again in 5 hours.

Nobody said you have to be a bum to do what you enjoy in your FREE TIME, BESIDE your job.
Wasted life? I'm not sure that you can qualify any life being wasted. Life is for living, and if you live in hatred of yourself and all that you have become, how is that any less of a life?

Rather perversely I find that I'm most comfortable when I'm miserable. Whether or not that's because it's just easy or familiar is something I leave up to you to decide.

How I've spent the last 10 years of my, relatively short and relatively eventless, life? Wallowing. Dedication to self improvement in my knowledge of computer systems and networks. The battle of lack of self confidence. The death of both my parents, and dealing thereafter. Several years of teaching myself that non-socially acceptable ways of dealing with my personal life experiences is perfectly fine and everyone else can piss off. Realising it's ok to be silly from time to time (that's a newish one).

My life has been no different from others, less eventful than others and more so than some. Whether or not you've wasted it is a matter of perspective. Two years ago I would've said that I've wasted what I've had. Now I'd say I haven't.

The simple thing is that I've realised is that it's irrelevant. Something I have planned to get tattooed on me is a nebula and star field scene, and then several golden ratio sprials cut in over the top. The simple reason for this is that every time I look up there or think of the golden ratio it reminds me that it's completely pointless. **** everyone else. If you're happy then it's fine. If you're not then change it. It's never too late to change, if you want to. Whilst I'm happy being miserable and the lack of importance is comforting to me, it may not be to others.

Everyone touches someone else, in some way, shape or form. I can name several individuals who I've met and some who I've only conversed with on these very forums who I feel have changed my life. Whilst they may feel that what they've done is not worthwhile I'd argue that by affecting one person they have made a worthwhile contribution. To those many people, I salute and thank you all.

So I'll reiterate; Wasting life is not possible. Whether or not you're happy with your decisions is a matter of your own perspective. But remember the simple fact; You cannot change the past, no matter how much you want to. Sometimes making a mistake can result in some of the greatest clarity in life, that you may not have otherwise gained.
well said mate, makes things feel a bit more positive
I could have got myself more into sports, but I don't regret anything from my life. What's done is done and no point of regretting any of it. Mistakes and wasted time? Sure, but not going to happen anymore
i love sport i like to keep fit
Having goals is good, weather they be sporting or whatnot, gives you something to aim for.

I REALLY wish I took up running years and years ago, alas, I didn't, and probably wasted a few good years of running, likewise, I wish I had taken my bike test years earlier than I did.

Aslong as your goals are realistic, they will give you something to strive for in your day to day life.

"Me time" is important, regardless of what you do with it.

Does anyone else "fear" boredom?, I have found that in todays lifestyle of entertainment / information so easily accessable, I sometimes "worry" about going places and being bored.

Take last weekend for example, we had planned to go to the beach for the day, and I was a little fearfull of being bored, no PC, no consoles, no TV etc etc, but it was nice, and just spent the whole day kicking back on the sand, or in the sea.

I remember when I was a boy, all those years ago pre-internet, pre consoles, pre computers, that we used to spend all day just mucking about in a field, or building bases in hay bales, I really think the lifestyles of today will affect the younger population, and make them "crave" all this entertainment / information we have available.

I do wish things were simple, like they were "back then", damn I am sounding old these days......
Quote from danowat :I do wish things were simple, like they were "back then", damn I am sounding old these days......

You sound like you're from a Hovis advert now danowat
Quote from the_angry_angel :You sound like you're from a Hovis advert now danowat

I know, but they were, not everyone was "connected" to the net, there were other things to do other than sit in front of the TV/play computer games etc.

I guess it's just nostalgia, rose tinted specs etc etc, but things were a lot simpler then

How have you wasted your life so far?
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG